inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What kind of music will dominate the 10s?

Written By: Emman on 01/27/11 at 9:31 pm

Will it be some kind of weird indie rock, alternative rap, a new techno style or something completely different? I think after all the post-grunge of the 90s and 00s it will be VERY hard for traditional guitar based hard rock to be popular, so rock(or what's left of it) will probably head towards a more electronic direction(as alot of music is doing).

Subject: Re: What kind of music will dominate the 10s?

Written By: RG1995 on 01/27/11 at 10:17 pm

This is just for fun and will most likely be wrong, but I'll make a guess. :P My predictions:

2010-2012: Autotune Rap, Electropop, Post-Grunge, some Indie Rock. Current stuff on charts

2012-2017:
Underground Hip-Hop - The "Grunge of the Hip-Hop". Autotune will die in an embarassing way just like how Hair Metal died in the early 90s to Grunge and Alternative Rock. Big sign of 00s backlash.
Dubstep - The dominant electronic genre of the decade. Pop music will become more darker and edgier when it mixes with Dubstep
"Electrodelia" - A mix of Neo-Psychedelia and Electronic Rock, "Electrodelia" will have an MGMT-like sound. I see Indie Rock moving towards in this direction.
Soul Revival - I think Soul Music is coming back this decade for some reason :p
"Grunge Metal" - A backlash against the lack of aggresivness and rebellion of Post-Grunge will begin with a more heavier Grunge sound making it into the mainstream. Alice in Chains and Soundgarden-influenced.

2017-202?:
Some new electronic sound  :P
Stoner Metal - why not?

Written By: 80sfan on 01/28/11 at 1:20 am

This is the techno era baby!  8)

Written By: Shiv on 01/28/11 at 8:24 am

I'm pretty sure we have threads on this already  :P

Written By: 80sfan on 01/28/11 at 10:39 am

I'm pretty sure we have threads on this already  :P

Yeah, I hate to admit it but you're right.  :-[

Written By: Howard on 01/28/11 at 7:55 pm

This is the techno era baby!  8)

I thought techno were more of the 80's? ???

Written By: Emman on 01/29/11 at 1:38 am

I thought techno were more of the 80's? ???

I think he is talking more of the modern electro-house movement instead of the 80s new wave/synthpop music.

Written By: Creeder on 01/29/11 at 4:48 am

I hope something with traditional electric guitar...
Indie is the anti-rock and its not something most rock fans would like.
I'm predicting that in the first half of the 10s most popular will be electropop/housepop sometimes mixed with hip-hop parts.
And after people get sick of it maybe traditional rap will comeback, along with 90's post-grunge revival.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/11 at 4:52 am

I am hoping that classical music will have a resurgent, to takeover from the drivel that is today's pop music.

Written By: Howard on 01/29/11 at 6:49 am

I think he is talking more of the modern electro-house movement instead of the 80s new wave/synthpop music.

The 80's also had electronic computerized music.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/11 at 7:19 am

The 80's also had electronic computerized music.
...and so did the 70's with Walter Carlos and Tomita.

Written By: Howard on 01/29/11 at 12:39 pm

...and so did the 70's with Walter Carlos and Tomita.

Who are they?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/11 at 12:41 pm

Who are they?
Walter Carlos and Isao Tomita

Written By: Howard on 01/29/11 at 12:42 pm

Walter Carlos and Isao Tomita

Thanks.

Written By: RG1995 on 01/29/11 at 12:46 pm

I hope something with traditional electric guitar...
Indie is the anti-rock and its not something most rock fans would like.
I'm predicting that in the first half of the 10s most popular will be electropop/housepop sometimes mixed with hip-hop parts.
And after people get sick of it maybe traditional rap will comeback, along with 90's post-grunge revival.
Creeder....Indie is not "anti-rock". It is Rock just like any Rock subgenre. And I doubt Post-Grunge will be revived. Post-Grunge is still on the charts today, so how can it have any nostalgia for it? True Grunge Rock could and might be revived though.

Written By: Emman on 01/29/11 at 1:46 pm

I wouldn't call post-grunge "early 10s" music, I think the genre is pretty much dead in the current pop culture(I think the year 2010 really knock it off). If it does chart it must be low ;D. Teen-pop, nu-metal, crunk, ringtone rap, and emo could not get rid of post-grunge, it took electro-house/current europop music.

Written By: RG1995 on 01/29/11 at 2:49 pm

I wouldn't call post-grunge "early 10s" music, I think the genre is pretty much dead in the current pop culture(I think the year 2010 really knock it off). If it does chart it must be low ;D. Teen-pop, nu-metal, crunk, ringtone rap, and emo could not get rid of post-grunge, it took electro-house/current europop music.
It's still there. Not as popular, but it is still there. I doubt it will ever be revived anytime soon.

Written By: Creeder on 01/29/11 at 3:48 pm

The real test for post-grunge will be when post-grunge icons "3 Doors Down" and "Staind" release their new albums this spring...
Anyway I think Nickelback is still being huge and when they release their next album it will dominate the charts no matter what music is being popular at the moment.
Nickelback is still a musical force to be reckoned with.

Written By: RG1995 on 01/29/11 at 4:13 pm

The real test for post-grunge will be when post-grunge icons "3 Doors Down" and "Staind" release their new albums this spring...
Anyway I think Nickelback is still being huge and when they release their next album it will dominate the charts no matter what music is being popular at the moment.
Nickelback is still a musical force to be reckoned with.
I doubt that Nickelback's new album will sell as much compared to their other albums. The youth barely knows who they are.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/30/11 at 9:14 pm

I doubt that Nickelback's new album will sell as much compared to their other albums. The youth barely knows who they are.

Nickelback has been sliding downhill since "Photograph".  They are more popular with the Hot AC generation than they are the Top 40 generation.  I hope they don't have a resurgence.  Post-grunge has been stale since at least 2005.  I think its time for it to die.  Most people I know who still listen to post-grunge are guys not confident enough in their sexuality to admit to liking electropop (though they secretly listen to Ke$ha when alone in their cars).

Written By: Creeder on 01/31/11 at 2:29 am

Nickelback has been sliding downhill since "Photograph".  They are more popular with the Hot AC generation than they are the Top 40 generation.  I hope they don't have a resurgence.  Post-grunge has been stale since at least 2005.  I think its time for it to die.  Most people I know who still listen to post-grunge are guys not confident enough in their sexuality to admit to liking electropop (though they secretly listen to Ke$ha when alone in their cars).

Nickelback is only the best selling rock band of 2009-2010.
And yeah, electropop is pro-gay, just like disco. Lady GaGa is already a gay icon.
Normal people listen to rock, but gays infiltrate rock with that indie stuff.

Written By: Shiv on 01/31/11 at 10:58 am

I think thats a pretty ignorant thing to say

Written By: tv on 01/31/11 at 1:22 pm

Nickelback is only the best selling rock band of 2009-2010.And yeah, electropop is pro-gay, just like disco. Lady GaGa is already a gay icon.
Yeah Nickleback is still moderately popular but not as popular currently as they were from late 2001-mid 2007 I think.

Written By: RG1995 on 01/31/11 at 1:46 pm

Nickelback is only the best selling rock band of 2009-2010.
And yeah, electropop is pro-gay, just like disco. Lady GaGa is already a gay icon.
Not only is that false, but it is also offensive. And btw, Indie isn't a particular genre. It just means independant.

Written By: tv on 01/31/11 at 2:05 pm

Not only is that false, but it is also offensive. And btw, Indie isn't a particular genre. It just means independant.
Yeah a group like "The Offspring" in 1994-1995 they were considered "indie" because they were on an "Indie-Label" in "Epitah Records" and their song "Self-Esteem" was playing on Top 40 radio back then. I guess "Green Day" on a major label in "Reprise" kind of paved the way for "The Offspring" to be popular back then.

Written By: Howard on 01/31/11 at 2:36 pm

I think thats a pretty ignorant thing to say

I agree.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/31/11 at 5:38 pm

Lady GaGa is already a gay icon.

GaGa dedicates her performances "to God and the gays".

I wonder why she leaves out the lesbians? ???

Written By: DJ Blaze on 02/02/11 at 8:49 pm

Christian Power Metal should dominate the 10s, but it probably won't since Justin Bieber is Catholic.

Written By: Creeder on 02/04/11 at 2:43 am

Justin Bieber has a chance of dominating the 10s or to disappear entirely.  Bruno Mars also has a chance of being the next king of pop.
As for the queen of pop for the 10s there's no doubt it will be lady gaga.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/04/11 at 9:38 am

Justin Bieber has a chance of dominating the 10s or to disappear entirely.  Bruno Mars also has a chance of being the next king of pop.

Justin Bieber will be 17 this year!

Lady Gaga is the 2010s biggest female artist.

Bruno Mars is talented and if he keeps it up will keep making great music.

Written By: musicwriter on 02/04/11 at 10:31 am

Only if they will be changing their styles. The sound and styles of today are not going to be popular all the 10's. Because every next decade in music is pretty different, and today's music still haven't progressed enough from 00's.

Written By: Creeder on 02/04/11 at 1:16 pm

Only if they will be changing their styles. The sound and styles of today are not going to be popular all the 10's. Because every next decade in music is pretty different, and today's music still haven't progressed enough from 00's.

I don't agree.
The 2010-2011 are totally different from 2004-2005, but you're right when you say the styles of today won't be popular the whole 10s

Written By: Emman on 02/04/11 at 2:41 pm

I don't agree.
The 2010-2011 are totally different from 2004-2005, but you're right when you say the styles of today won't be popular the whole 10s

Yeah, music today is pretty different from the majority of the 00s music scene, music today can only be tied as far back as late '08. So it is similar to the very late 00s but not similar to the 1999-2007 period. What ever is popular in 2015 I'm sure will be an outgrowth/evolution of what is popular/or gaining momentum in the early 10s(electro-house/europop/indie/alternative rap-pop).

Written By: tv on 02/04/11 at 3:08 pm

I don't agree.
Yeah 2004 sounds like another musical era right now.

Written By: Howard on 02/04/11 at 3:24 pm

Justin Bieber will be 17 this year!

Lady Gaga is the 2010s biggest female artist.

Bruno Mars is talented and if he keeps it up will keep making great music.

and one day one of them will be the next jamminoldie.

Written By: Revolutions on 02/04/11 at 3:31 pm

i dont think gaga will ever be as big as she was in 2009 again. i think shell still be around but wont be the main act of the decade thatll probably be like bruno mars or something

Written By: tv on 02/04/11 at 5:42 pm

i dont think gaga will ever be as big as she was in 2009 again. i think shell still be around but wont be the main act of the decade thatll probably be like bruno mars or something
Yeah GaGa will probably be like Jody Watley or Taylor Dayne were in the late 80's/early 90's.

Written By: Revolutions on 02/04/11 at 6:01 pm

Yeah GaGa will probably be like Jody Watley or Taylor Dayne were in the late 80's/early 90's.

gaga seems pretty 00s to me anyway. how is she that different from pink or britney or whatever?

Written By: tv on 02/04/11 at 6:13 pm

gaga seems pretty 00s to me anyway. how is she that different from pink or britney or whatever?
No she shouldn't wouldn't have fit in with the late 90's/early 00's teen-pop trend or P!nk back then back in 1999 or 2000. She is more electro-pop. Both Britney and Christina started off as bubblegum artists. P!nk started off as an R&B artist with La Reid's LaFace record label back then. I wouldn't call Britney talanted where as I would call GaGa talented in comparing the 2.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 02/04/11 at 6:44 pm

Justin Bieber has a chance of dominating the 10s or to disappear entirely.

I hope he is wiped off the face of the earth.

Written By: Howard on 02/05/11 at 6:46 am

At least Jody Watley and Taylor Dayne were listenable back then.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/05/11 at 12:39 pm

Agree.  Gaga actually had a horrible 2010 compared to 2009.  Lets see, in 2009 we had Poker Face, Paparazzi, Lovegame, and Bad Romance.  In addition, a few hip-hop artists even included her in their songs.  She WAS pop music in 2009.  In 2010 we had Telephone (her worst hit in my opinion) and Alejandro and then she disappeared from the mainstream charts.  Why she didn't release Monster as a single beats me, because thats definitely Top 40 material and it would have kept her in the spotlight during the second half of 2010 when she was noticeably absent.  In 2010, though it pains me to say it, Justin Bieber definitely outshined Lady Gaga.  That said, Bieber will be a passing fad and will be a memory by 2013.

Written By: Howard on 02/05/11 at 12:52 pm

I hope he is wiped off the face of the earth.

You hate him that much?  ???

Written By: DJ Blaze on 02/05/11 at 1:11 pm

You hate him that much?  ???

Yep, I won't stand around while he converts girls to Catholicism and encourages pre-marital sex.

Written By: Creeder on 02/05/11 at 2:16 pm

Agree.  Gaga actually had a horrible 2010 compared to 2009.  Lets see, in 2009 we had Poker Face, Paparazzi, Lovegame, and Bad Romance.  In addition, a few hip-hop artists even included her in their songs.  She WAS pop music in 2009.  In 2010 we had Telephone (her worst hit in my opinion) and Alejandro and then she disappeared from the mainstream charts.  Why she didn't release Monster as a single beats me, because thats definitely Top 40 material and it would have kept her in the spotlight during the second half of 2010 when she was noticeably absent.  In 2010, though it pains me to say it, Justin Bieber definitely outshined Lady Gaga.  That said, Bieber will be a passing fad and will be a memory by 2013.

Come on, dude... you can't expect her to be in the spotlight all the time. She had strong first half of 2010 and then she began working on her new album. She is still in the radio all the time. And now most people are waiting anticipationly for "Born this way" which will be massive.
Personally I don't like her, but lets be honest she is dominating the music world at the moment.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/05/11 at 2:42 pm

Come on, dude... you can't expect her to be in the spotlight all the time. She had strong first half of 2010 and then she began working on her new album. She is still in the radio all the time. And now most people are waiting anticipationly for "Born this way" which will be massive.
Personally I don't like her, but lets be honest she is dominating the music world at the moment.

I still hear 'Just Dance' and 'Love Game' on the radio.  ::)

Written By: tv on 02/05/11 at 4:40 pm

At least Jody Watley and Taylor Dayne were listenable back then.
What Howard you don't like Lady GaGa? I agree with you on Jody and Taylor Dayne though.

Written By: RG1995 on 02/05/11 at 9:30 pm

I hope that Lady Gaga's new album flops. Sick of her and the terrible electropop scene.

Written By: sonikuu on 02/06/11 at 1:44 am

I hope that Lady Gaga's new album flops. Sick of her and the terrible electropop scene.

Meh, Electropop isn't the best, but I personally am satisfied with the electropop/dance-pop scene, actually.  It's better than the dominant mainstream music trend just before it, anyway.  If I have one criticism of this music era, it's the lack of variety on the music charts as Dance-Pop and dance-influenced Hip-Hop crowds out other genres.

We could always go back to Snap music, if you want *shudder*

Written By: Howard on 02/06/11 at 3:15 pm

What Howard you don't like Lady GaGa? I agree with you on Jody and Taylor Dayne though.

not crazy about her.

Written By: RG1995 on 02/06/11 at 7:29 pm

Meh, Electropop isn't the best, but I personally am satisfied with the electropop/dance-pop scene, actually.  It's better than the dominant mainstream music trend just before it, anyway.  If I have one criticism of this music era, it's the lack of variety on the music charts as Dance-Pop and dance-influenced Hip-Hop crowds out other genres.

We could always go back to Snap music, if you want *shudder*
Nobody said lets go back to Snap. But Electropop is just as genric and annoying at this point.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/06/11 at 8:10 pm

I actually liked Gaga's 2010 songs better than 2009, maybe because her 2009 songs were too played out (especially "Poker Face" and "Bad Romance"). As 2009 was Gaga's year, 2010 was Ke$ha's year.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 02/06/11 at 8:15 pm

I actually liked Gaga's 2010 songs better than 2009, maybe because her 2009 songs were too played out (especially "Poker Face" and "Bad Romance"). As 2009 was Gaga's year, 2010 was Ke$ha's year.

As much as I hate to say it, Lady Gaga is actually a lesser evil in the music world. "Bad Romance" and "Alejandro" are admittedly good songs. And unlike a certain Catholic heretic in the music world, at least she admitted she sang for God (and gays.)

Written By: Milkof1996 on 02/06/11 at 9:31 pm

I know this is off-topic, but I'm really wondering what music in 2018/2019 is gonna be like.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/06/11 at 9:59 pm

I know this is off-topic, but I'm really wondering what music in 2018/2019 is gonna be like.

All radio stations might be online by then!  :D

I also think music will be improve slowly over the next decade! Actually, I think music is better now than it was in 2008.

Written By: Milkof1996 on 02/06/11 at 10:11 pm

All radio stations might be online by then!  :D

I also think music will be improve slowly over the next decade! Actually, I think music is better now than it was in 2008.

I don't want Radio to be completely online :( How am I gonna listen to music while sleeping? But yeah, I really hope music will be way better than it was in 2008, waay too much Soulja boy. Ha and I remember in 2007 when EVERYONE was doing the Crank that dance, and I couldn't do it for my life, until 2 years later, but by then, it was too late.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/06/11 at 11:25 pm

Wrong.  2010 was Justin Bieber's year.  Ke$ha and Gaga, while big in their own rights, took a back seat to Justin Bieber.  If you went to any shopping mall, amusement park, magazine rack, etc, it wasn't Lady Gaga's picture on display everywhere. 

Written By: Howard on 02/07/11 at 6:36 am

I don't know right now.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 02/07/11 at 11:35 am

Wrong.  2010 was Justin Bieber's year.  Ke$ha and Gaga, while big in their own rights, took a back seat to Justin Bieber.  If you went to any shopping mall, amusement park, magazine rack, etc, it wasn't Lady Gaga's picture on display everywhere. 

JB is the evil face of Catholicism.

Written By: Creeder on 02/07/11 at 1:04 pm

JB is the evil face of Catholicism.

So he is a practicing catholic? Thats good. :)

Written By: DJ Blaze on 02/07/11 at 2:14 pm

So he is a practicing catholic? Thats good. :)

What's a practicing Catholic? Any kind of Catholic is bad to me.

Written By: Creeder on 02/07/11 at 4:47 pm

What's a practicing Catholic? Any kind of Catholic is bad to me.

He seems very religious and open about his faith in God.
I like that, because its something very rare in musical business nowadays.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 02/07/11 at 8:13 pm

He seems very religious and open about his faith in God.
I like that, because its something very rare in musical business nowadays.

Yeah, but it's the wrong kind of faith in God. Catholics include lots of needless rituals that sacrilege the name of God. I wish he could be Christian.

Written By: joeman on 02/07/11 at 10:31 pm

Yeah, you have to watch out for those people that claim to be christian but are really in it for publicity.  No offense Creeder, but Scott Stapp pretty much did the whole, 'I'm a Christian' thing during his time in Creed and he paid the price once he was off guard.  I still love the band Creed, but when I was going through my teens in the late 90s I listened to Creed because they were a cross between Christian based music and Grunge music that was apparent at the time(when everyone sounded like Eddie Vedder  ;))  Shook my whole foundation once news spread across that he was getting drunk all the time and slept with hookers alongside Fred Durst and Kid Rock.

Written By: Creeder on 02/08/11 at 3:27 pm

Yeah, you have to watch out for those people that claim to be christian but are really in it for publicity.  No offense Creeder, but Scott Stapp pretty much did the whole, 'I'm a Christian' thing during his time in Creed and he paid the price once he was off guard.  I still love the band Creed, but when I was going through my teens in the late 90s I listened to Creed because they were a cross between Christian based music and Grunge music that was apparent at the time(when everyone sounded like Eddie Vedder  ;))  Shook my whole foundation once news spread across that he was getting drunk all the time and slept with hookers alongside Fred Durst and Kid Rock.

Yeah, fame and money can make a decent christian, like Stapp, to do sinfull things.
Glad to see he has changed for good in the last years.

Written By: EthanM on 02/08/11 at 5:46 pm

Is the name of this thread "give me your best impression of a bible-thumping xenophobe"? No? Ok, then maybe we can get back on topic.

There will not be any one type of music that dominates the next decade. There hasn't been any one type of music (unless you count "oldies" as a genre) dominating a decade for at least fifty years and there's no reason that will change. Country artists and rappers will continue to make strong showings in their main target markets with the better ones having significant target appeal. There will be edgy music meant for older kids and young adults as well as tween pop, and both will be popular. There will still be mainstream and alternative rock, although what exactly defines the mainstream may change.  The trend of pop artists of different genres collaborating on songs will likely continue, although in a few years there could be a backlash and trends could reverse.

Written By: RG1995 on 02/08/11 at 7:49 pm

Am I the only one who doesn't want to see New Wave-revival stay in the mainstream? I am sick of anything 80's influenced at this point. Been so since "Hot Tub Time Machine"

Written By: DJ Blaze on 02/08/11 at 8:29 pm

Is the name of this thread "give me your best impression of a bible-thumping xenophobe"? No? Ok, then maybe we can get back on topic.

Sorry, I sparked it.

Written By: Creeder on 02/09/11 at 12:53 am

Am I the only one who doesn't want to see New Wave-revival stay in the mainstream? I am sick of anything 80's influenced at this point. Been so since "Hot Tub Time Machine"

Thats a great movie, I watched it yesterday! Maybe you're right, its time for a 90s post-grunge revival.

Written By: joeman on 02/09/11 at 7:02 am

Thats a great movie, I watched it yesterday! Maybe you're right, its time for a 90s post-grunge revival.

I agree it was a great movie, possibly the best last year.

Written By: Shiv on 02/09/11 at 10:20 am

How about not. And besides, whats the difference between 90s and 00s post grunge? they sound the same to me...

Written By: RG1995 on 02/09/11 at 1:42 pm

How about not. And besides, whats the difference between 90s and 00s post grunge? they sound the same to me...
If any "Grunge"-like sound is soming back, imo it's Alice in Chains/Soundgarden Grunge Metal sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb5ncnGFlaA

Written By: Guest on 02/14/11 at 7:02 pm

I can see a more jazzy flavor by the end of the decade.  New stuff like electro jazz, electro jazz, etc.  I can also see a lot of country and a southern rock revival.
Music will be very conservative and square sounding by the end of the decade.

Written By: joeman on 02/14/11 at 7:17 pm

I agree.  Personally I would lump Grunge with Post Grunge, though not saying there are any good bands on either genre.  Alice In Chains and Foo Fighters are good examples of such.

Written By: Shiv on 02/14/11 at 7:20 pm

If any "Grunge"-like sound is soming back, imo it's Alice in Chains/Soundgarden Grunge Metal sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb5ncnGFlaA

No more grunge. Please. Two decades of it was enough.

Written By: Guest on 02/14/11 at 7:22 pm

I can see a grunge revival maybe in the late 2020s - 2030s, etc.  maybe Greaser biker mixed with Grunge.

Written By: Creeder on 02/14/11 at 11:59 pm

The three big genres of 2010s will be Electropop, Alternative Hip-Hop and Country.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 02/15/11 at 3:11 am

hey i am basically a new generation to you guys as i was only born in mid 90s :p

and i am thoroughly enjoy alternative (any), grunge, punk rock and even the electro pop's style influenced of the 90s and early 00s

this will be proven as new generation of Gen Z is growing up in a ever more complex world that might be just vulnerable to crash once again  8-P

early tennies (10s) however will be dominated by electro pop's... but by the end of the decade we will see this grunge/punk revival and i will be one of the early influence-er of these people :p i am seriously sick of today's pop (except few... like whip my hair - willow smith  ::) )

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 02/15/11 at 3:15 am

she is innovative be in mind... i can see her music being made and played up to late 2020s or early 2030s  8)

Written By: Howard on 02/15/11 at 6:35 am

Besides,I got a headache from so much grunge music.

Written By: Shiv on 02/15/11 at 8:06 am

It was great in the 90s and fit the times, but then it just got overdone to death. It should have just stayed in the 90s instead of spilling over into the 00s. I blame grunge on the wane in rock's popularity during the 00s-early 10s. It just refused to go away and people got bored.

Written By: Guest on 02/15/11 at 8:54 am

It was great in the 90s and fit the times, but then it just got overdone to death. It should have just stayed in the 90s instead of spilling over into the 00s. I blame grunge on the wane in rock's popularity during the 00s-early 10s. It just refused to go away and people got bored.

same with hip-hop music.  I think it is time to get some new music coming in, instead of rehashing old stuff such as soul and grunge.  We have been having this sloppy grungy stuff for 20 years, time for some polished music.

Written By: tv on 02/15/11 at 8:56 am

Blame the second of wave of post-grunge that came out with Nickleback and don't blame real grunge(1992-1996.)

Written By: Creeder on 02/15/11 at 11:55 am

In fact grunge did evolved. Compare original grunge sound with mid-00s arena/hair-metal grunge bands like Hinder and Daughtry. Huge difference. ;)

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 02/15/11 at 10:35 pm

haha dont worry the big break from grunge will stay for a while :p

and future grunge would probably be something very refreshing anyway... and i believe it will be somewhat more original than we might think

Written By: tnf on 02/16/11 at 12:11 am

same with hip-hop music.  I think it is time to get some new music coming in, instead of rehashing old stuff such as soul and grunge.  We have been having this sloppy grungy stuff for 20 years, time for some polished music.

Even more polished than most popular music of the moment, often overproduced to death? :o

I think that's almost impossible.

Written By: Emman on 03/09/11 at 10:00 pm

Seems like indie music is getting more attention this year, MTV even has indie music month(March 2011) were they show tons of indie music videos and the upcoming woodie awards.

Written By: RG1995 on 03/10/11 at 3:03 pm

Seems like indie music is getting more attention this year, MTV even has indie music month(March 2011) were they show tons of indie music videos and the upcoming woodie awards.
MTV is showing videos?  :o

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/10/11 at 5:10 pm

Not saying this is gonna happen, but we're kind of overdue for a blues revival.

Written By: Howard on 03/11/11 at 6:34 am

MTV is showing videos?  :o

Haven't seen an MTV video in over 20 years.

Written By: kitkat1991 on 03/11/11 at 9:51 am

I think electro pop will take over. Mainly from about 2010-2012. I think in mid 2012 there will another surge in pop culture in music. I hate pop music now it's too much. It's a cycle if you think about. The late 90s early 00s had  teen  pop and people who were my age back then hated it.  I loved it. Now 10+ years later I'm 20 and I hate this new era of pop crap.  I know my cousins who were 18-20 back then hate it alot. So I think it will end soon. maybe rock will be popular again, I'm really not sure. But overall I hope this electro pop crap won't take over the entire decade.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/13/11 at 6:50 am

I think electro pop will take over. Mainly from about 2010-2012. I think in mid 2012 there will another surge in pop culture in music. I hate pop music now it's too much. It's a cycle if you think about. The late 90s early 00s had  teen  pop and people who were my age back then hated it.  I loved it. Now 10+ years later I'm 20 and I hate this new era of pop crap.  I know my cousins who were 18-20 back then hate it alot. So I think it will end soon. maybe rock will be popular again, I'm really not sure. But overall I hope this electro pop crap won't take over the entire decade.

i was too young to understand music back then : so i cant comment on that but i love the music late 90s and early 00s when i discovered it back.... EVERYTHING OF IT!!! electro pop back then was actually fun and the best... awesome vibe!!! today's ones suxx cos of the weird vibe they give and pointless (generality of it)

yeah rock is making a come back... nu wave INDIE and alternative....

Written By: Howard on 03/13/11 at 7:37 am

Funk And Disco,Sorry I'm stuck in a time warp. ;D

Written By: tnf on 03/13/11 at 9:29 pm

i was too young to understand music back then : so i cant comment on that but i love the music late 90s and early 00s when i discovered it back.... EVERYTHING OF IT!!! electro pop back then was actually fun and the best... awesome vibe!!! today's ones suxx cos of the weird vibe they give and pointless (generality of it)

*feels the need to spam*  ;)

Check my signature, there's a lot early 00s music there.

I've left out most of the typical 2008/2009 autotune-pop (there are about 7 of such songs among the over 1300 tracks in the music database).

Written By: Emman on 03/13/11 at 10:35 pm

yeah rock is making a come back... nu wave INDIE and alternative....

Are you suggesting electropop was popular back in the late 90s/early 00s, if that is the case, you could not be more wrong. Dance music was popular at that time but it was more organic, more disco influenced(nothing like the synthy, autotuned stuff today), which makes sense given the huge amount of 70s nostalgia at the time. It also seems to me that people refer to the electronic pop of the 80s as "synthpop" and the electronic pop of the early 10s as "electropop".

Written By: Howard on 03/14/11 at 6:48 am

What's electropop? ???

Written By: Shiv on 03/14/11 at 11:19 am

What's electropop? ???

Its a style similar to synthpop, but with a 2000s urban/hiphop influence.

Written By: Howard on 03/14/11 at 12:42 pm

Its a style similar to synthpop, but with a 2000s urban/hiphop influence.

Sorry Shiv,I'm in an 80's time warp. ;D

Written By: tv on 03/14/11 at 4:05 pm

Are you suggesting electropop was popular back in the late 90s/early 00s, if that is the case, you could not be more wrong. Dance music was popular at that time but it was more organic, more disco influenced(nothing like the synthy, autotuned stuff today), which makes sense given the huge amount of 70s nostalgia at the time. It also seems to me that people refer to the electronic pop of the 80s as "synthpop" and the electronic pop of the early 10s as "electropop".
Yeah songs like "Sexual(Li  Li Da)" by Amber and "Feels So Good" by Sonique were popular in that particular time for Dance Music.

Written By: Superfly2008 on 03/14/11 at 4:42 pm

What's electropop? ???

Electropop is an electronic form of pop, which uses computer based sounds, and voices. Synth pop is similar, but uses synths instead of computers, and doesn't have computerized auto tuned voices. Electopop uses computerized voices AKA auto tune or other programs that turn the voice into an electronic sound...

Written By: Superfly2008 on 03/14/11 at 4:45 pm

There was no electropop in the late 90s/early 00s. Electropop isn't the same as synth pop. Electropop uses computerized voices and music, while synth pop uses normal voices, and synthesizers for music. It became popular around the late 00s...

Written By: bchris02 on 03/14/11 at 9:53 pm

There was no electropop in the late 90s/early 00s. Electropop isn't the same as synth pop. Electropop uses computerized voices and music, while synth pop uses normal voices, and synthesizers for music. It became popular around the late 00s...

Euro-dance was popular in the mid '90s but it died in late 1997.  Thats when urban music and boy bands took over.  There were still a few dance hits but they were few and far between.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/14/11 at 10:31 pm

I can't claim electropop was popular in the late 90s and early 00s, but it was definitely there as an undercurrent.  The difference was always kinda fuzzy, but as a rule, I went with "if it's just beat and a repeated chorus, it's some form of dance; if it's all about the lyrics, it's pop; and if it's somewhere in between, or sounds like what a new wave track would sound like if performed with more modern "instruments", then it's electropop."

Anyone unfamiliar with the genre would do well to check out bands like Freezepop.  

Written By: Howard on 03/15/11 at 6:37 am

Electropop is an electronic form of pop, which uses computer based sounds, and voices. Synth pop is similar, but uses synths instead of computers, and doesn't have computerized auto tuned voices. Electopop uses computerized voices AKA auto tune or other programs that turn the voice into an electronic sound...

Isn't that like 80's pop?  ???

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/15/11 at 6:59 am

Isn't that like 80's pop?  ???

No. We've gone from Roland Juno/Yamaha DX7s/Linndrums/TR-808s that are stand-alone synthesizers to ProTools and Antares Auto-tune which are 100% digitally-computer based. Unfortunately this creates another musical generation gap. Hopefully it won't last nearly the whole decade like synthpop did for the '80s. I guess I'm weary of "electroitis" (the site TV Tropes has the '80s equivalent called "synthesizeritis", compare then to how it may negatively affect music nowadays). In fact I'm so weary of this music I'm going to see a doo-wop concert next month with a few original performers!

And hopefully, when 2020 hits, a revitalized "flapper/jazz music" will occur in honor of the original '20s centennial!

Written By: tv on 03/15/11 at 10:49 am

Euro-dance was popular in the mid '90s but it died in late 1997.  Thats when urban music and boy bands took over.  There were still a few dance hits but they were few and far between.
You should say rap music started to be big in 1997 commercial wise not urban music. I mean R&B music was big the whole 90's. Remember Toni Braxton, TLC, and Babyface in the early to mid 90's? I mean even Brian McKnight was around in 1992-1993.

Written By: tv on 03/15/11 at 11:01 am

No. We've gone from Roland Juno/Yamaha DX7s/Linndrums/TR-808s that are stand-alone synthesizers to ProTools and Antares Auto-tune which are 100% digitally-computer based. Unfortunately this creates another musical generation gap. Hopefully it won't last nearly the whole decade like synthpop did for the '80s. I guess I'm weary of "electroitis" (the site TV Tropes has the '80s equivalent called "synthesizeritis", compare then to how it may negatively affect music nowadays). In fact I'm so weary of this music I'm going to see a doo-wop concert next month with a few original performers! And hopefully, when 2020 hits, a revitalized "flapper/jazz music" will occur in honor of the original '20s centennial!
I know my mom likes as much of today's music as I do just about. I think she likes Beyonce I think but thats about. I like a few songs from today's music but thats about it.

Anyway going back to the subject of Dance I think Dance trends in the US last about 2-6 years on average. I mean Euro-Dance in the 90's lasted about 4 years as a whole(1993-1996), Freestyle Music in the 80's lasted about 1985-mid 1991 but trends like House Music in the early 90's(1990-1991) and Disco lasted about 3.5 years from 1976-mid 1979. 80's synth-pop that may have been 1983-1990. I think this electro-pop trend is more like the disco trend in that it will last 4.5-5 years (late 2008-2012/early 2013.)

Written By: Howard on 03/15/11 at 7:14 pm

You should say rap music started to be big in 1997 commercial wise not urban music. I mean R&B music was big the whole 90's. Remember Toni Braxton, TLC, and Babyface in the early to mid 90's? I mean even Brian McKnight was around in 1992-1993.

and how about Adina Howard she was more like 1995 and up. ???

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/16/11 at 7:23 am

damn!!! maybe i do need a better word to describe it but electro pop are started from the late 90s dance pop hits... it was inspired by it i believe :p

they just blend it with the synthpop 80s vibe :D

one example of the modern pioneer of electro dance pop of the late 90s which i love the best!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbXiECmCZ94

yup she was the mother of the autotunes!!!

Written By: joeman on 03/16/11 at 8:59 am

In Fredrick's defense, there was that one song that popular around 1998ish that was electro-pop. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68ugkg9RePc

Plus MTV at the time was promoting a lot of techno-electronic...whatever with The Prodigy, Daft Punk and Rammstein(kick ass band btw).

Written By: tv on 03/16/11 at 2:11 pm

and how about Adina Howard she was more like 1995 and up. ???
Yeah she had a hit in 1995 with "Freak Me" or something like that.

Written By: Howard on 03/16/11 at 7:24 pm

damn!!! maybe i do need a better word to describe it but electro pop are started from the late 90s dance pop hits... it was inspired by it i believe :p

they just blend it with the synthpop 80s vibe :D

one example of the modern pioneer of electro dance pop of the late 90s which i love the best!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbXiECmCZ94

yup she was the mother of the autotunes!!!

This was one of her better songs.

Written By: Howard on 03/16/11 at 7:28 pm

Yeah she had a hit in 1995 with "Freak Me" or something like that.

Freak Like Me in 1995.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/10/11 at 10:48 am

hopefully, something electronic. :)

Written By: Howard on 04/10/11 at 12:54 pm

hardcore rap

Check for new replies or respond here...