inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Night-time weddings to be allowed

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/11 at 8:07 am

Night time weddings will be able to take place in future under plans outlined by the government.

The changes allowing marriages to take place 24 hours a day in England and Wales are part of the Protection Of Freedoms Bill. They will also apply to civil partnerships.

Currently couples can only wed between 0800 and 1800 under rules dating back to the Marriage Act of 1836.

The move comes after suggestions to a government consultation.

The Church of England says any relaxation in the times of church weddings would require a change Canon Law from the General Synod, which meets twice a year. And the Catholic Church has reportedly said it would not conduct late night ceremonies.

But the changes are expected to boost the demand for evening civil wedding ceremonies, especially in the summer months.

In 2002, rules were amended to allow ceremonies to take place in sites other than churches, registry offices or specially-licensed venues.

Since then sites including Blackpool Tower, Tower Bridge and race courses have hosted civil weddings.

However, there will be no prospect of Las Vegas-style chapels where some couples have wed on the spur of the moment after a night of heavy drinking - couples will still have to give at least 15 days advanced notice.

Subject: Re: Night-time weddings to be allowed

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/12/11 at 10:10 pm

1836?

Jolly good then.  You can get married at 21:00, but we're going back to hanging pickpockets!
:)

Written By: Howard on 02/13/11 at 3:13 pm

I thought weddings were done in the morning? ???

Written By: karen on 02/14/11 at 7:58 am

I thought weddings were done in the morning? ???

My wedding started at 4 p.m.

Written By: Howard on 02/14/11 at 2:30 pm

My wedding started at 4 p.m.

My Parents wedding started in the morning.

Check for new replies or respond here...