inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Current Teen Fads

Written By: Guest on 02/15/11 at 9:20 pm

So what are some cool fads that teenagers and  college age students are following today?  It looks like Facebook has turned into a place to keep track of your relatives, not high school buddies, and I don't see teenagers text as much or even listen to iPods.  What are they doing today.

Subject: Re: Current Teen Fads

Written By: RG1995 on 02/15/11 at 9:22 pm

Texting, listening to iPods, and going on Facebook. I'm serious.

Written By: Guest on 02/15/11 at 9:28 pm

Texting, listening to iPods, and going on Facebook. I'm serious.

So teenagers are still in this high tech connected world.  This must be the 21st century teenager.  Maybe 20th century style fads will be done.  I am looking for something cool like the pet rocks of the 70s in that matter.

Written By: Creeder on 02/16/11 at 12:40 am

Spending the whole day in the internet.

Written By: Howard on 02/16/11 at 6:43 am

Texting,Ipods,cellphones,facebook and twitter.

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/16/11 at 8:12 am

Texting,Ipods,cellphones,facebook and twitter.

But the difference between 2011 and say 2007 I'm finding is more adults are using this nowadays and isn't just a Gen Y/Z thing. This is now considered "mainstream culture"! Teen fads would be your Ke$ha/Justin Beiber type stuff.

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/16/11 at 10:40 am

Don't forget posting comments on Youtube about how much they hate their generation and how they wish they had grown up in the '90s!  ;D

Written By: Milkof1996 on 02/16/11 at 4:37 pm

Don't forget posting comments on Youtube about how much they hate their generation and how they wish they had grown up in the '90s!  ;D

That's mostly people born in the mid 90s like me :o

Written By: RG1995 on 02/16/11 at 5:00 pm

That's mostly people born in the mid 90s like me :o
You and me think alike

Written By: RG1995 on 02/16/11 at 5:16 pm

This isn't true at all

Written By: Howard on 02/16/11 at 8:15 pm

But the difference between 2011 and say 2007 I'm finding is more adults are using this nowadays and isn't just a Gen Y/Z thing. This is now considered "mainstream culture"! Teen fads would be your Ke$ha/Justin Beiber type stuff.

And I'm not a Facebook,Twitter person.

Written By: JTCool on 02/16/11 at 9:45 pm

Being 17 I hope people don't just assume teens are in love with Justin Bieber or Kesha. Did that many teens like Britney Spears, *NSYNC, BSB, Christina Aguilera 10 years ago? I'm sure there were a substantial amount of teens that might have, but it seems singers/stars that are in their teens at the time usually appeal more to pre-teens or kids that are younger than them.

Written By: Howard on 02/17/11 at 6:33 am

Every decade has its teen fads,They all go through it every year.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/17/11 at 6:36 am

binge eating

Written By: joeman on 02/17/11 at 6:54 am

Being 17 I hope people don't just assume teens are in love with Justin Bieber or Kesha. Did that many teens like Britney Spears, *NSYNC, BSB, Christina Aguilera 10 years ago? I'm sure there were a substantial amount of teens that might have, but it seems singers/stars that are in their teens at the time usually appeal more to pre-teens or kids that are younger than them.

We had Nu-Metal and Post-Grunge 10 years ago.  

The people that bought up Britney Spears and Boy Bands were people who were 10-11 at the time they were popular.  Likewise, 10 years before that people bought into Debbie Gibson and New Kids on the Block.

Written By: Howard on 02/17/11 at 7:03 am

binge eating

What? That ain't a teen fad.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 02/17/11 at 7:04 am

The people that bought up Britney Spears and Boy Bands were people who were 10-11 at the time they were popular.  Likewise, 10 years before that people bought into Debbie Gibson and New Kids on the Block.

and don't forget Tiffany too.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/17/11 at 7:27 am

What? That ain't a teen fad.  ::)

;D

Written By: aaalkj on 02/17/11 at 6:19 pm

those sillybandz

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/17/11 at 6:47 pm

A lot of teens have been wearing kindergarten backpacks to school lately.

Written By: JTCool on 02/17/11 at 7:44 pm

I'm glad you said that cause that's how I feel at least. I was close to 10 when Britney Spears and all the boy bands were popular and in our age group at least that's what we consider classic songs from when we were kids (I know it's sad.) I think music kids listen to when they are little are what they consider their classics when they grew up. But being a teenager now I cringe if someone ever said that we listened to Justin Bieber, Kesha, and all these autone artists and considered it OUR music.  8-P

Written By: Howard on 02/17/11 at 8:10 pm

;D

binge eating doesn't count as a fad,It's a problem.

Written By: Howard on 02/17/11 at 8:10 pm

the ones that strap over the shoulder.

Written By: Guest on 02/17/11 at 8:55 pm

I am getting sick and tired of these caps and shirts that have Cookie Monster and Elmo on it. 8-P

Written By: Howard on 02/18/11 at 6:27 am

I am getting sick and tired of these caps and shirts that have Cookie Monster and Elmo on it. 8-P

Maybe kids like Cookie Monster And Elmo. ::)

Written By: RG1995 on 02/18/11 at 11:40 am

the ones that strap over the shoulder.
They usually are backpacks with cartoons on it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/18/11 at 3:35 pm

...not just teens!

Written By: karen on 02/18/11 at 4:56 pm

In the UK retro sports bags by brands like Adidas are popular.  I threw out an original 70s bag a few months ago.  Maybe I could have made some money on ebay?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/18/11 at 4:57 pm

...Justin Bieber?

Written By: Howard on 02/18/11 at 8:38 pm

They usually are backpacks with cartoons on it.

I've seen those plenty of times.

Written By: chiefyamick on 02/19/11 at 11:39 pm

How about "tlkn lik ur ritin txts 2 ur frnds"

I love getting resumes online at work that look like that!!!    :D

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/19/11 at 11:49 pm

I'd die a little inside if I ever saw a resume with writing like that.  8-P

Written By: chiefyamick on 02/19/11 at 11:56 pm

Suffice to say those individuals are not granted an interview.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/19/11 at 11:59 pm

I'd die a little inside if I ever saw a resume with writing like that.  8-P

And by "die a little inside", you mean "print out, scrumple up, and slam-dunk into the recycling bin", right?  Right.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/20/11 at 12:16 am

Some kids will do anything to fit in!  ::)

Kinda like that time I wore low-rise jeans back in '01 just to look like a 14 year old girl.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/11 at 1:52 am

Is it possible for a translation please?

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/20/11 at 2:46 am

And by "die a little inside", you mean "print out, scrumple up, and slam-dunk into the recycling bin", right?  Right.

First, I'd die a little inside; then, I'd throw it into the recycle bin; and then I would ponder for the rest of the day over how people can be stupid enough to honestly believe anyone besides their friends will take them seriously when they write like that.

Written By: Howard on 02/20/11 at 6:27 am

Suffice to say those individuals are not granted an interview.

I'd prefer a face to face interview.

Written By: chiefyamick on 02/20/11 at 2:17 pm

There are a few times that I secretly want to schedule interviews with people that insist on writing resumes in this format, just so I can put a face to the resume. The sad thing is that I will discount these applications simply because if you can't take the time to properly answer a question or fill out an application, how do I know that you're going to commit to this job if I were to offer it to you??? Some of those applicants could very well be excellent workers, but there is a degree of professionality in trying to successfully land a job. JMHO

ps: To Philip Eno: *talking like you're writing texts to your friends*

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/11 at 2:51 pm

There are a few times that I secretly want to schedule interviews with people that insist on writing resumes in this format, just so I can put a face to the resume. The sad thing is that I will discount these applications simply because if you can't take the time to properly answer a question or fill out an application, how do I know that you're going to commit to this job if I were to offer it to you??? Some of those applicants could very well be excellent workers, but there is a degree of professionality in trying to successfully land a job. JMHO

ps: To Philip Eno: *talking like you're writing texts to your friends*
Many thanks.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 02/26/11 at 10:52 pm

Don't forget posting comments on Youtube about how much they hate their generation and how they wish they had grown up in the '90s!  ;D

you read my mind!!!!!!!

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 02/26/11 at 11:05 pm

on behalf of teenagers of late 00s and early 10s

here's teenage fads of today

the fashions:
jeggings, uggs, quilted bags, bodycon skirts and dresses, shoes with fringing, skinny jeans, hipster prints shirt, converse and boots (making revival)

blackberry trends of chatting in asian countries :p otherwise facebook, twitter, youtube, memes (funny statements images and etc),texting, touch screens

eww justin bieber... kesha, anything dance electronic songs, and new indie music

and INTERNET!!!!

Written By: RG1995 on 02/27/11 at 11:20 am

IDK if this is anywhere else, but my school's "slacker look" is really baggy sweat pants and baggy t-shirts.

Written By: Howard on 02/27/11 at 3:18 pm

on behalf of teenagers of late 00s and early 10s

here's teenage fads of today

the fashions:
jeggings, uggs, quilted bags, bodycon skirts and dresses, shoes with fringing, skinny jeans, hipster prints shirt, converse and boots (making revival)

blackberry trends of chatting in asian countries :p otherwise facebook, twitter, youtube, memes (funny statements images and etc),texting, touch screens

eww justin bieber... kesha, anything dance electronic songs, and new indie music

and INTERNET!!!!

That looks right Fred.

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/27/11 at 3:19 pm

IDK if this is anywhere else, but my school's "slacker look" is really baggy sweat pants and baggy t-shirts.

I noticed that a lot in high school, and I'm also noticing it a lot at my college campus. People are wearing sweatpants and even pajama bottoms because they're too lazy to get themselves dressed in more proper clothing. One student on the newspaper staff even wrote an opinion piece derailing people who dressed like that to school.

Written By: Howard on 02/27/11 at 3:21 pm

I noticed that a lot in high school, and I'm also noticing it a lot at my college campus. People are wearing sweatpants and even pajama bottoms because they're too lazy to get themselves dressed in more proper clothing. One student on the newspaper staff even wrote an opinion piece derailing people who dressed like that to school.

I'm seeing that too.

Written By: Shiv on 02/28/11 at 12:27 pm

I'm guilty of doing this every once in a while  ::)

its nothing new.

Written By: Howard on 02/28/11 at 12:38 pm

I'm guilty of doing this every once in a while  ::)

its nothing new.

So you wear your pj's to school? ;D

Written By: nintieskid999 on 03/03/11 at 6:23 pm

It's just school. I like to get dressed up for places I really want to go like when going out with friends.  Plus you want to be comfortable to pay attention. School is just a place to get your work done.

Written By: Stephanie on 03/17/11 at 12:26 am

I don't see teenagers text as much

Teens seem to be constantly texting.  Last week in a waiting room I was sitting next to a 16 year old wearing his hat to the side (another teen fad) who was texting, when they told him to put his phone away (patient privacy rules) he looked like he was going to cry, he couldn't go 5 minutes without texting.  He told me he constantly texts and he can't go more than 10 minutes without texting, he said he sends hundreds of texts each day, mostly to his girlfriend .  I told him when I was his age the only communication we had was a rotary phone wired to the wall.
When I was driving away in the parking lot I seen the kid walking to his car while texting, almost walked right in front of me.   

Written By: RG1995 on 03/17/11 at 12:40 am

Teens seem to be constantly texting.  Last week in a waiting room I was sitting next to a 16 year old wearing his hat to the side (another teen fad) who was texting, when they told him to put his phone away (patient privacy rules) he looked like he was going to cry, he couldn't go 5 minutes without texting.  He told me he constantly texts and he can't go more than 10 minutes without texting, he said he sends hundreds of texts each day, mostly to his girlfriend .  I told him when I was his age the only communication we had was a rotary phone wired to the wall.
When I was driving away in the parking lot I seen the kid walking to his car while texting, almost walked right in front of me.     
Side ways hat has been popular since early 00's.

Written By: Howard on 03/17/11 at 6:23 am

people these days are in their own "lala land".  ::)

Written By: tv on 03/17/11 at 1:01 pm

In my opinion he has a problem like people who have bad OCD in my opinion.

Written By: tv on 03/17/11 at 1:04 pm

Yeah my mom tells me when she has gone to the supermarket the last 2 years she sees people in their jammies.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/21/11 at 6:33 am

if there's anyone who uses blackberry.. they have like free chat bbm thing beeen blackberries so it is way better than texting but it means if these people have ocd it will make matters worst :p hehe

Written By: Howard on 03/21/11 at 6:36 am

if there's anyone who uses blackberry.. they have like free chat bbm thing beeen blackberries so it is way better than texting but it means if these people have ocd it will make matters worst :p hehe

A lot of people these days have OCD.

Written By: kevwa10191 on 03/22/11 at 9:58 am

the sweatpants I understand, because they are pants.  But wearing PJ's in public is ewwwww.  Every time I go to Walmart (eww again), it seems to be a hangout for the public PJ wearers, some are even too lazy to put on shoes, and wear their nasty slippers.  :-X

Written By: youngerderek on 04/05/11 at 3:41 am

the sweatpants I understand, because they are pants.  But wearing PJ's in public is ewwwww.  Every time I go to Walmart (eww again), it seems to be a hangout for the public PJ wearers, some are even too lazy to put on shoes, and wear their nasty slippers.   :-X

forget Grunge, that is PURE slacker lol. i admit, being a bit of a slob, i kind of enjoy this fad a little bit.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...