inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Generation Z

Written By: Guest on 02/17/11 at 9:12 pm

What do you think of this new generation, generation Z, finally entering adulthood.  The first Gen Z'er are turning 20 this year.http://techteachtoo.com/internet/ready-generation-z/

I am a Generation Z'er and I see there is a gap between the kids in college how they act.  The older kids want to party while the younger kids want to study.

Subject: Re: Generation Z

Written By: joeman on 02/17/11 at 9:41 pm

I think it is a good thing.  Party cost money and learning is free. 

Written By: RG1995 on 02/17/11 at 9:51 pm

What do you think of this new generation, generation Z, finally entering adulthood.  The first Gen Z'er are turning 20 this year.http://techteachtoo.com/internet/ready-generation-z/

I am a Generation Z'er and I see there is a gap between the kids in college how they act.  The older kids want to party while the younger kids want to study.

LMAO. Where'd you get those stats? Gen Z starts in 1999, not 1990

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/17/11 at 10:06 pm

Even though the year span of Generation Z is disputed, I don't think that people born in the early '90s should be considered to be a part of Generation Z. If that were the case, then Generation Y would only span about ten years, because it's (Gen. Y) generally accepted to have started in the early '80s.

I think Generation Z truly began in the mid to late '90s.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/17/11 at 10:20 pm

Even though the year span of Generation Z is disputed, I don't think that people born in the early '90s should be considered to be a part of Generation Z. If that were the case, then Generation Y would only span about ten years, because it's (Gen. Y) generally accepted to have started in the early '80s.

I think Generation Z truly began in the mid to late '90s.

1 Karma point! I agree.

Written By: Brian06 on 02/17/11 at 10:27 pm

Yeah I agree as I said in another post, I think today's teens are the y-z cusp. Gen Z to me are the "millennium babies" that were just very small children or being born at the start of the new millennium. Everybody 18-30 is definitely Gen Y with the cusps being 13-17 year olds and 31-34 year olds.

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/17/11 at 11:45 pm

Yeah I agree as I said in another post, I think today's teens are the y-z cusp. Gen Z to me are the "millennium babies" that were just very small children or being born at the start of the new millennium. Everybody 18-30 is definitely Gen Y with the cusps being 13-17 year olds and 31-34 year olds.

A 34-year-old (1977 born) is a Generation Xer, not a Gen Yer or cusps.  Please stop trying to include 1977ers with Gen Y, because we are not a part of that generation.

Written By: gumbypiz on 02/18/11 at 12:43 am

To add my two cents...

I believe the entire Gen X, Y and Z stuff is complete BS.

The first moniker of "Gen" anything was started with the media back in the early 90's.
First the depression era, then the war (WWII) era, then "baby boomers" then "Gen X" then Y, Z and so on.

The media and general public, after spending so much time defining what baby boomers were, what they liked and their activities, couldn't really put their finger on the generation of children fostered by the baby boomers and "Gen X" stamp was born.

I find it incredulous that we let the media "define" a generation by calling it "X" as it could not define it in its own terms (too individualistic and "un" common" for the general consensus to understand) and strangely, those fitting in that time span, worked sooo hard to fit into it, as they do gen Y and Z.

Don't any of you "get" it?
None of us born after the mid sixties really fit into a pre-arranged, pre-sorted, or pre-defined group that some outside media force should be able to conceptulize.

And we shouldn't be trying so hard to fit into one.

Be proud that you're different and not so easily pigeon-holed into a certain group. You don't have to identify with a certain group to find your own identity, and its sad if you need to...

If anything the "Gen" generations should be categorized as not being categorize-able and be proud of that.

Written By: Shiv on 02/18/11 at 6:03 am

Sigh, one of these threads again...

I was born in 1991 and I definitely don't feel like Generation Z.

Written By: RG1995 on 02/18/11 at 11:40 am

A 34-year-old (1977 born) is a Generation Xer, not a Gen Yer or cusps.  Please stop trying to include 1977ers with Gen Y, because we are not a part of that generation.
It doesn't really matter

Written By: EthanM on 02/18/11 at 12:53 pm

Classifying generations that way actually seems a bit apocalyptic, as if the most recent generation will be the last. What comes after Generation Z?

This was actually the first I heard of Generation Z.

Written By: sonikuu on 02/18/11 at 6:52 pm

I HATE the terms Gen Y and Gen Z.  Gen X had a reason for being called that.  Gen Y and Gen Z are just unoriginal terms made by marketers to describe new target demographics.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/19/11 at 11:20 am

Will Generation Z be the last generation or for the next Generation revert to Generation A?

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/19/11 at 12:40 pm

Will Generation Z be the last generation or for the next Generation revert to Generation A?

I think the generation after "Z" will be called "Generation Alpha."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Z#Beyond_Z

Clearly, originality left the building a long time ago.  :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/19/11 at 12:55 pm

I think the generation after "Z" will be called "Generation Alpha."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Z#Beyond_Z

Clearly, originality left the building a long time ago.  :P
The source being wikipedia, can it be truly accounted for?

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/19/11 at 1:54 pm

The article has a list of reference sites at the bottom of the page. I think that heightens its credibility.

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/22/11 at 7:25 am

That is so 2000s!

Written By: Kitkat1991 on 02/23/11 at 3:43 pm

I'm 20 and I don't understand how someone born in 1991 is gen z. I though gen z do not remember the world before 9/11?   I think 1992 is the y/z cusp. 1993  is where Generation z should start IMO.

Written By: joeman on 02/23/11 at 5:32 pm

I'm 20 and I don't understand how someone born in 1991 is gen z. I though gen z do not remember the world before 9/11?   I think 1992 is the y/z cusp. 1993  is where Generation z should start IMO.

I think they set the parameters for Gen Z at 1991 because they were under the age of 11 years old(normal age to start puberty).

Written By: JTCool on 02/23/11 at 6:27 pm

I was born in 1993 and remember where and when I was when 9/11 happened along with about every person my age.

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/24/11 at 12:20 pm

Media always seems to "rush" things with regards to many ideas. For instance, during the late '90s when "Generation Y" was first used, it mostly refered to the 1977-1989 era, sometimes including mid-70s born people, while ignoring the '90s alltogether, but as that generation has become more distinct from X and realizing that 12 years is a bit "too short for a generation", the 1977-81ers were more frequently being labeled as Xers. But those born after 1991 are quite different from those born in the '80s as they don't remember a time before the Internet. Still, I accept 1992-1997 as "late Y" given they can remember 9/11 and a time before Web 2.0 made the Internet more than just a "cool gadget" but a necessity. I find this rusing more common in Australia/New Zealand when I read the news.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 02/27/11 at 4:54 am

as this was explained.... there's thisshow in Australia called "talking about your generation" its a funny quiz of pop cultures comparing between boomers gen x and gen y

and the most agreement that people according to many sources and that feels right for me

boomers spanning from 1946 - 1964
gen X spanning from 1965 - 1979
gen Y spanning from 1980 - 1994
gen Z spanning from 1995 - 2009

apart from the boomers each generation always have 14 years in span.. this is however the generality of it

i guess for me... the biggest differentiate between generation Y and Z is that whether you remember the turning of the millenium and the september 11 incident quite vividly
i was 7 when the 9/11 thing happened... and it is very vivid to my memories... its the first such wonderous yet horrifying thing that i saw elsewhere in the world

yes i know these labelling sucks sometimes as this do not reflect the true culture value from the generation as everyone is different but for me... these labelling is just for the people who are born between these periods... for me its much more than just a cultural value of it... but the events that impacted these generations in terms of what they experienced.. 

Written By: Superfly2008 on 03/05/11 at 2:21 am

that's bull! Generation Z is 1995-2009!!! People born in 1991 are not generation z. They're apart of generation y, which are babies born from 1980 - 1994. The oldest Z members are 16. Also adulthood begins at 18, not 20...

Written By: RG1995 on 03/05/11 at 12:04 pm

that's bull! Generation Z is 1995-2009!!! People born in 1991 are not generation z. They're apart of generation y, which are babies born from 1980 - 1994. The oldest Z members are 16. Also adulthood begins at 18, not 20...
But I don't want to be apart of Gen Z  :-[

Written By: Milkof1996 on 03/05/11 at 3:41 pm

But I don't want to be apart of Gen Z  :-[

Why not? I'm pretty sure i'm Gen Z, just with Gen Y characteristics

Written By: RG1995 on 03/05/11 at 7:38 pm

Why not? I'm pretty sure i'm Gen Z, just with Gen Y characteristics
Because they are even more spoiled than Gen Y. And they grew up with sheeshty cartoons.

Written By: Milkof1996 on 03/05/11 at 8:15 pm

Because they are even more spoiled than Gen Y. And they grew up with sheeshty cartoons.

Aye you have a point. Cartoon network, Nick, and Disney was boss 11 years ago, but now look what happened to them... When do you consider the starting point of Generation Z, because I this whole Gen Y/Z divide is confusing since some sources say Gen Z started in 1995/1996 while others say it started in 2001 because of 9/11.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/05/11 at 11:41 pm

its not about the cultural values and interests of one's but more of their traits and their psychological attitudes... that has been an impact from the events they grow up with... yes anyone born between 1993 - 1997 have similar traits and thus blurring these labelling same applies for any cusps....

i guess if i have to differentiate Gen Y and Gen Z is that whether you remember the world in the 90s or not.... since most people remember since age 3... world and/or cultural phenomenon

such as i remember watching titanic :)

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/05/11 at 11:42 pm

its not about the cultural values and interests of one's but more of their traits and their psychological attitudes... that has been an impact from the events they grow up with... yes anyone born between 1993 - 1997 have similar traits and thus blurring these labelling same applies for any cusps....

i guess if i have to differentiate Gen Y and Gen Z is that whether you remember the world in the 90s or not in terms of world and/or cultural phenomenon.... since most people remember since age 3... such as myself remember watching titanic :) and the coming about of britney spears :D

Written By: RG1995 on 03/06/11 at 2:18 am

The first songs I remember are Livin La Vida Loca by Ricky Martin and some Boy Band song, so I consider myself late-Gen Y.

Written By: JTCool on 03/06/11 at 1:27 pm

Yeah culturally I can only really remember the late 90s since I was born in 93, so I don't know where that puts me and I probably shouldn't care. Just don't put me in the generation where Hannah Montana and High School Musical are popular!  8-P

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/06/11 at 9:02 pm

Yeah culturally I can only really remember the late 90s since I was born in 93, so I don't know where that puts me and I probably shouldn't care. Just don't put me in the generation where Hannah Montana and High School Musical are popular!  8-P

well unfortunately were young enough to be in that generation :p since you are only 13 in 2006

Written By: JTCool on 03/07/11 at 9:59 pm

well unfortunately were young enough to be in that generation :p since you are only 13 in 2006

Doesn't mean I have to like it!  ::)

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/08/11 at 2:54 am

Doesn't mean I have to like it!  ::)

oh yeah but you did grow up with that :D just saying... you not necessarily have to like it... i dont like high school musical  :P

Written By: joeman on 03/08/11 at 12:41 pm

oh yeah but you did grow up with that :D just saying... you not necessarily have to like it... i dont like high school musical  :P

I agree.  You have to look between when you started puberty till senior year of HS to determine your generational affinity(ie 11-17 years). 

Written By: spoonz on 03/13/11 at 1:07 am

the 'high school musical' age would mostly be later y's. like even including people born as early as 89. HSM was a fad from 2006-09.

Written By: sonikuu on 03/13/11 at 1:31 am

the 'high school musical' age would mostly be later y's. like even including people born as early as 89. HSM was a fad from 2006-09.

I wouldn't say so.  I graduated in 2007, I can't recall a single person who was actually in high school liking High School Musical.  High School Musical was more of an elementary school and junior high thing.  That means the oldest fans would be born around 1993 or so. 

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/13/11 at 6:33 am

i think true generation z are the kids who actually dont remember how they felt about 9/11 or any events before 2002 at the time being

regardless of their interests but it is the phenomenon that defines a generation... Y/Z cusp are defined by the rise of electronica music and mobile phone through the ages and the rise of the different disney stuff such as high school musical... its late gen Y fad and old Gen Z fad

my friend likes high school musical and he's about the same age as mine... i find it boring....

well as gen Z is starting their teen years in this decade the true gen Z culture will be born sometime second half of this decade

Written By: youngerderek on 04/04/11 at 5:37 pm

Can anyone really say where Gen Y ends and Z begins yet anyway? People say the same things about Z they said about Y (tech savvy, multicultural, etc). we have no idea what Z's traits are yet, so we can't put a date on them.

Written By: joeman on 04/04/11 at 7:22 pm

Can anyone really say where Gen Y ends and Z begins yet anyway? People say the same things about Z they said about Y (tech savvy, multicultural, etc). we have no idea what Z's traits are yet, so we can't put a date on them.

I have seen dates ending it around 2005.  Personally, as someone born early in Y(85), I think it ends in 1998.  Those born in 1999 don't remember 9-11 and were too young to be part of the 2000s culture.  However, the Y influence probably doesn't end until 2005 or so.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/11/11 at 4:58 am

I have seen dates ending it around 2005.  Personally, as someone born early in Y(85), I think it ends in 1998.  Those born in 1999 don't remember 9-11 and were too young to be part of the 2000s culture.  However, the Y influence probably doesn't end until 2005 or so.

We can't really say quite yet of course, since Gen Z isn't really old enough to have a culture that's noticeably different from Y yet, though, we can guess. i was born in 91 and to me people born up to about 96 seem to have a similar worldview. so i would probably say gen y would be the entire 80s births and also the first 2/3 of 90s births.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 04/11/11 at 5:28 am

for me anyway and according to most many sources generation Y are people who are born between 1980 - 1994... and these group of people are culturally different from most of the other generation... the cusps imitate both cultures however...

generation z culture is starting to come in as they will come of age this decade ;) as you can see these new icons such as willow and jaden smith.... i forgot who else

Written By: RG1995 on 04/11/11 at 1:58 pm

for me anyway and according to most many sources generation Y are people who are born between 1980 - 1994... and these group of people are culturally different from most of the other generation... the cusps imitate both cultures however...

generation z culture is starting to come in as they will come of age this decade ;) as you can see these new icons such as willow and jaden smith.... i forgot who else
They haven't found their John Lennon or Kurt Cobain yet because they are too young atm. It's too early to tell

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 04/12/11 at 12:38 am

They haven't found their John Lennon or Kurt Cobain yet because they are too young atm. It's too early to tell

they do imitate current young icon.... be in mind every generation icon... half of them are being from the previous generation....

Written By: UniGuy on 04/12/11 at 1:05 pm

I've seen Generation Z start as early as the late 80's, but I disagree, Generation Z is from 1996-present. That would make the oldest Z is 15. In my mind anyone too young to remeber September 11, 2001 is Gen Z.

Written By: whistledog on 04/12/11 at 7:49 pm

Generation Z is gay

Written By: 80sfan on 04/12/11 at 9:06 pm

Generation Z is gay

They and I (generation Y) need a better name!  >:(

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 04/13/11 at 3:05 am

I've seen Generation Z start as early as the late 80's, but I disagree, Generation Z is from 1996-present. That would make the oldest Z is 15. In my mind anyone too young to remeber September 11, 2001 is Gen Z.

i do believe 9/11 is the turning point between generation Y and generation Z and noo these kids aren't lame/gay

they're just all over the place just like back then you guys ;)

Written By: youngerderek on 04/13/11 at 5:27 am

Generation Z is gay

lol what is wrong with being gay? i do think they seem more likely to 'come out' or be into gay things than previous gens.

Written By: Howard on 04/13/11 at 6:38 am

They and I (generation Y) need a better name!  >:(

Generation Gay-Z? :D ;D

Written By: Mr.Brightside on 04/14/11 at 12:09 am

It's hard to say when Gen Y ends and when Gen Z begins because so many things influence it, especially your surroundings.

I have a sister who's 8 years older than me so already at home, I was already immersed in her "culture" which was essentially Gen Y culture. Then on my mom's side of the family, I had cousins all 3-4 years older than me, as well as two other cousins my age. My two cousins and I always ended up playing with the older cousins so their culture became ours as well. My cousin Mark on my dad's side however, was an only child and only had one older cousin aside from my sister so he didn't really know much about the culture I came to knew because of my older sister and my older cousins.

I consider myself Gen Y and even a 90s kid while Mark doesn't really know as much about Gen Y culture as much as I do, despite we both being the same age.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 04/16/11 at 2:42 am

It's hard to say when Gen Y ends and when Gen Z begins because so many things influence it, especially your surroundings.

I have a sister who's 8 years older than me so already at home, I was already immersed in her "culture" which was essentially Gen Y culture. Then on my mom's side of the family, I had cousins all 3-4 years older than me, as well as two other cousins my age. My two cousins and I always ended up playing with the older cousins so their culture became ours as well. My cousin Mark on my dad's side however, was an only child and only had one older cousin aside from my sister so he didn't really know much about the culture I came to knew because of my older sister and my older cousins.

I consider myself Gen Y and even a 90s kid while Mark doesn't really know as much about Gen Y culture as much as I do, despite we both being the same age.

very true.... but i think your still considered gen Y definitely if you are actually a part 90s kid yourself...

Written By: joeman on 04/16/11 at 6:56 am

very true.... but i think your still considered gen Y definitely if you are actually a part 90s kid yourself...

That isn't the methodology behind Y.  The reason it was created was differentiate those that grew up on the internet and those that didn't.  If you were under 16 in 1996, then you are most definitely Y.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 05/15/11 at 8:12 pm

the thing is the starting date is very much overlapping with the labelling of generation... i was 2 years old in 1996

however most do agree that generation Z starts  in 1995-1996...

Written By: kingofpain on 06/13/12 at 8:09 pm

Generation Z in my opinion starts around being born in 1995, maybe late 94. Class of 2013 onwards.

They're too young to remember a time before the internet became part of everyday life, and therefore they are true digital natives. They likely knew very little about the 9/11 attacks when they happened, if they remembered that day at all.

On another note, I have to lol @ anyone who puts 1990 or 91 at gen Z.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/13/12 at 9:28 pm

Classifying generations that way actually seems a bit apocalyptic, as if the most recent generation will be the last. What comes after Generation Z?

Generation AA?

:D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/14/12 at 12:24 am

Generation Gay-Z? :D ;D

Generation Gacy!
:o

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/14/12 at 6:29 pm

Generation 
http://www.darkcirclespuffyeyes.com/images/sleep-fatigue-dark-circles.jpg is more like it.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/15/12 at 6:53 am

Generation 
http://www.darkcirclespuffyeyes.com/images/sleep-fatigue-dark-circles.jpg is more like it.  ;D

more like today's kids.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/15/12 at 8:00 am

Generation Z are those who were around 6 or younger before the turn of the century. Basically those who can't remember at least the late 90's pop culturally.
To be exact: Today's teens 18 and below.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/15/12 at 8:14 am

i was 2 years old in 1996

You are more Z than Y IMO.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 06/15/12 at 10:44 pm

I am in Generation Z (Born in 1995) Very early though. I really don't find a difference between myself (Being 17) and a 20 year old in generation Y.....

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 06/15/12 at 10:45 pm

I'd say anybody who does not remember not having a computer with Internet in their household is Gen Z

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 06/16/12 at 12:36 am

Generation Z is gay

If you think about it, Generation Z is the far more superior generation that gen Y.....

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/16/12 at 2:14 am

I am in Generation Z (Born in 1995) Very early though. I really don't find a difference between myself (Being 17) and a 20 year old in generation Y.....

Why should you? It's just 3 years. And the age gap is what really matters. Real differences come clear when it comes to 6+ years.

Written By: Howard on 06/16/12 at 6:40 am

I'd say anybody who does not remember not having a computer with Internet in their household is Gen Z

Does that make me Generation Z?  ??? I'm 38.

Written By: kingofpain on 06/16/12 at 12:05 pm

Does that make me Generation Z???? I'm 38.

I highly doubt that you had a computer with internet in the late 70s.

Written By: MarkFark on 06/16/12 at 5:06 pm

I was born in 1993 and consider myself Generation Y. I fully understood the 00's culturally and could explain to you how 9/11 affected my life as a youth... it's actually quite simple. I've graduated in the class of 2012 and would argue that we were the LAST of generation Y. This is how I see it: if you were a teenager in the 00's, then you're part of Generation Y. I was 16 when the decade ended, I think I'm part of Y... right?

Written By: Howard on 06/16/12 at 7:37 pm

I highly doubt that you had a computer with internet in the late 70s.

In the late 70's we never had a computer, I was only 5 years old at the time.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/17/12 at 3:55 am

I was born in 1993 and consider myself Generation Y. I fully understood the 00's culturally and could explain to you how 9/11 affected my life as a youth... it's actually quite simple. I've graduated in the class of 2012 and would argue that we were the LAST of generation Y. This is how I see it: if you were a teenager in the 00's, then you're part of Generation Y. I was 16 when the decade ended, I think I'm part of Y... right?

In my opinion, Y shouldn't have had too many kid years in 'Y culture'. And you were not even a teenager by the mid decade. You're probably Y/Z cusp.

Written By: kingofpain on 06/17/12 at 8:34 am

In my opinion, Y shouldn't have had too many kid years in 'Y culture'. And you were not even a teenager by the mid decade. You're probably Y/Z cusp.

MarkFan is Y/Z cusp without a doubt, but if it had to be between the two, he/she may barely fit in under Y. Those born after 1994, no way.

Written By: Alex on 06/17/12 at 11:47 pm

I'm currently 17 and I consider myself Gen Z or at least a Y/Z cusper. 9/11 has no place in my memory and as far as I can remember, computers were commonplace.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 06/18/12 at 12:32 am

I really don't think that remembering 9/11 should be an indication whether you are in Generation Y or Z. Everyone has a different memory and some people can remember very well when they were young and others can't. That, and the fact that you can't base which generation you are in from an event that occurred in a certain nation only and not the rest of the world. I think basing it off of the popularity of the Internet, however, is more suitable when determining which generation you're in. The Internet can be an indication to anyone in the world globally. This would be far more appropriate because generation Z is also usually referred to the "Digital Generation." I do not remember life before the Internet was around so therefore I am in Generation Z. (I remember it being less popular but almost every household had a computer at the time and Internet was accessible to everyone.) Overall, I would say anyone born after 1994 or so would be considered a part of Generation Z.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/18/12 at 6:59 pm

I really don't think that remembering 9/11 should be an indication whether you are in Generation Y or Z. Everyone has a different memory and some people can remember very well when they were young and others can't. That, and the fact that you can't base which generation you are in from an event that occurred in a certain nation only and not the rest of the world. I think basing it off of the popularity of the Internet, however, is more suitable when determining which generation you're in. The Internet can be an indication to anyone in the world globally. This would be far more appropriate because generation Z is also usually referred to the "Digital Generation." I do not remember life before the Internet was around so therefore I am in Generation Z. (I remember it being less popular but almost every household had a computer at the time and Internet was accessible to everyone.) Overall, I would say anyone born after 1994 or so would be considered a part of Generation Z.

In these generational disscussions, 9/11 is typically used in relation to Generation Z the same way that the JFK assassination is used in relation to the Boomers: A sort of de facto cut-off point that is universally accepted because the timing sounds about right, but is really completely arbitrary. After all, someone born in 1958 could potentially remember when JFK was shot, but they obviously grew up under very different circumstances than someone born in 1948 (not being old enough to get into the countercultural protests, or serve in Vietnam, etc.)

I agree about the internet's popularity probably being the biggest factor in this debate. I was born in 1987, and the majority of the people I grew up with (myself included) went through most of our childhood years without even a household computer, so there definitely feels like something of a generation gap there between us, and people about 10 years younger or so that have only known a post dot-com society. I would again compare this with how many (particularly older) Boomers can remember a time where their family did not have a television set, while for Gen X and beyond, TV's something that's always been there.

Written By: kingofpain on 06/20/12 at 8:32 pm

IMO, people who clearly remember 9/11 and understood its significance when it happened are Generation Y without doubt. I was 11 at the time, and that attack caught my attention unlike any other historic event of my life. This is something most millenials have in common and can relate to: witnessing at a young age how that attack impacted our society and national mood, followed by the vast geopolitical changes which likely gave us a paradigm shift as our worldviews were still developing. Of course when it comes to 9/11, I'm really talking about Americans; people from other countries will obviously have their own historical benchmarks. Similarly, generation X will relate to events like the Challenger explosion and the fall of the Berlin Wall, both of which happened in their youth.

People like my 18 year old sister who remember the attacks but didn't really understand their significance at the time tend to be on the cusp between generations Y and Z, and were most likely born from 1992-96 (though I do have a 20 year old friend who told me he remembers it vividly.......but he's extremely bright and I don't think most kids his age were as aware at the time). If there had to be a single cutoff year between the generations, then I agree with you, 1995 is a good start for gen Z.

I do think it's safe to say that anyone who doesn't remember hearing about the 9/11 attacks when they happened is generation Z. My sister who I mentioned just graduated HS, and told me that people in her grade may be the last ones to remember that day. I think that whoever is too young to remember 9/11 also won't remember a world before the internet was already part of everyday life. Remembering life before that time is an important part of being generation Y, and because of the changes brought by digital technology and the internet from the late 90s onwards, I believe that life for a child living in 1995 had a lot more in common with 1985 than with 2005.

As for me, I had no idea what the internet really was until I was 8 or 9, which was right in the heat of the dotcom bubble. I wasn't born under a computer, nor did my family even own one when I was a young kid (preschool age). The internet was a cool new thing for me, and by the time I was 10 or 11, the world around me felt much different than when I was 4 or 5.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/21/12 at 2:12 am

and by the time I was 10 or 11, the world around me felt much different than when I was 4 or 5.

Same to me when I was 14 or 15 (which was around 2000/01) - and the world around felt much different when I was around 8 or 9. And that's a reason why I always can't understand why people associate the early 00's so much with the 90's.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/21/12 at 2:34 am

Same to me when I was 14 or 15 (which was around 2000/01) - and the world around felt much different when I was around 8 or 9. And that's a reason why I always can't understand why people associate the early 00's so much with the 90's.

One reason is people associate the 00s with mostly the second half. The first half are forgotten. People associate the 00s with autotune, Justin Bieber, Facebook, and Lil Wayne.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 06/21/12 at 2:42 am

One reason is people associate the 00s with mostly the second half. The first half are forgotten. People associate the 00s with autotune, Justin Bieber, Facebook, and Lil Wayne.

Totally agree with you.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/21/12 at 2:45 am

Totally agree with you.

Yep. Whenever people mention the 00s, they inevitably mention one of those things. Why do people forget the first part of the decade you think? They forget 2000 through the first half of 2003 especially. It's like the perception of 00s = "late 00s".

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 06/21/12 at 3:00 am

Yeah I have no idea. The good part of the 00s was the early part and that's what really made the decade great so it's shameful that people forget all about it and it's left out. Many people also tend think the 00s is still happening and presently we are living in the 00s, they seem to forget we are in another decade in the 2010s. The 2000s always get a bad image because people always associate with the later part for some strange reason. People think the 2000s was nothing else but Skinny Jeans, Justin Bieber, Autotune, Electro Pop, etc.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/21/12 at 3:04 am

Yeah I have no idea. The good part of the 00s was the early part and that's what really made the decade great so it's shameful that people forget all about it and it's left out. Many people also tend think the 00s is still happening and presently we are living in the 00s, they seem to forget we are in another decade in the 2010s. The 2000s always get a bad image because people always associate with the later part for some strange reason. People think the 2000s was nothing else but Skinny Jeans, Justin Bieber, Autotune, Electro Pop, etc.

It's very weird for me because I was an 00s teen but none of my teenhood was in the late part of the 2000s. What people describe was not my experience at all. I was born in late 1986 so I was basically an earlier 00s teen. To me it doesn't feel like my teenhood at all right now. The things they associate with the 00s are stuff I associate with the 10s. I don't think I had it the same as a teenager born in 1996. It was like I was skipped over and forgotten about. I sometimes wonder if early 60s teens ever felt the same way.

Stuff I used to listen to like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vgG15LuFMo

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fcg6KeQjNI

is forgotten about

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/21/12 at 5:15 am

It's very weird for me because I was an 00s teen but none of my teenhood was in the late part of the 2000s. What people describe was not my experience at all. I was born in late 1986 so I was basically an earlier 00s teen.

Mid '86 and same to me. 'My' time was the '99-'06 period: Dial-up internet most of the time, ICQ, no Youtube most the time, no social media, no smartphones, no HDTV, VHS in the early 2000s and so on.... I don't associate the '06-present stuff as 'my' teenage stuff either.

Therefore I think "Gen Z" are those who had their teenage years mostly in the second half of the 00's/early 10's, exatly starting in around 2007, which would be an argument that 1993 or 1994 are the first real Z birth years.

Written By: af2010 on 06/21/12 at 10:54 am

As other people have said, I definitely think there's somewhat of a generational gap between people who can't remember life before the internet/cellphones/digital tech and those who can.  As an 87er, most of my childhood was without internet.  Cell phones (aka brick phones) were very rare and were nothing like cell phones today or even the ones 10 years ago.  If people had a portable device, it was usually a beeper.  DVD's and high def didn't exist, just VHS.

Around 97/98 was when technology really started to take off.  At the same time, pop culture changed from being dark and pessimistic (grunge, gangsta rap, etc) and became cleaner and much more commercialized (teen pop).  The late 90s was like the start of a new era (the internet era or digital age), and people with no memory of life before that time probably see the world (and especially technology) in a different way; they're the true digital natives.  I don't know if that makes them a different generation, but there's definitely a difference.

Written By: DarthScorpio11 on 06/21/12 at 4:19 pm

I think generation z is 1995-2009, so they won't start entering adulthood until next year.

Written By: elr on 06/21/12 at 4:38 pm

There is Strauss-Howe generational theory which says that the Generation Y or Millenials are born from 1982-2004.  It also says Generation Z or Homelandlander generation does not start until 2005. 

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/21/12 at 5:45 pm

There is Strauss-Howe generational theory which says that the Generation Y or Millenials are born from 1982-2004.  It also says Generation Z or Homelandlander generation does not start until 2005.

How can Millenials be born after the new Millenium? Millenials had to experience the millenial period at least at kid age or during their teenage years IMO. Nobody who can't remember a time before 2000 can be "Y".

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 08/21/12 at 6:50 pm

My opinion...anyone born before or in 1992 is Generation Y. 1993-5 are in the cusp....1996 is where Gen Z fully begins.

I also never understood the sources that said Y included those born circa 1977...I think that's too early.

There's no way that a 1990er is Gen Z though. We voted in the 2008 election for godsakes.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/22/12 at 2:39 am

There's no way that a 1990er is Gen Z though. We voted in the 2008 election for godsakes.

I wouldn't consider 1990 Gen Z either, however not peak Y.

IMO:
Gen Z are today's (2010's) teenagers who grow-up with smartphones (and those who will be still in their 20's for a big amount of the 2020's)
Gen Y were late 90's and 00's teenagers (with an emphasis on the first half of the 00's).

Written By: Inertia on 08/23/12 at 9:17 am

Anyone who can't remember 9/11 as a youth cannot possibly be generation-Y.

If you weren't in K-12 at the time 9/11 happened I really don't see how you can be a Gen-Y in general. o.o Those who were preschool aged (3 and 4) and traditional college ages (18 through 22) are cuspers in my opinion.

I noticed some people debating saying if you can't remember 2000, you can be a millennial. 2001 was really the start of the millennium not 2000 anyway. The world was not a year old on year 0 but on year 1.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 08/23/12 at 9:28 am

Anyone who can't remember 9/11 as a youth cannot possibly be generation-Y.

If you weren't in K-12 at the time 9/11 happened I really don't see how you can be a Gen-Y in general. o.o Those who were preschool aged (3 and 4) and traditional college ages (18 through 22) are cuspers in my opinion.

I noticed some people debating saying if you can't remember 2000, you can be a millennial. 2001 was really the start of the millennium not 2000 anyway. The world was not a year old on year 0 but on year 1.

Alright, Because of you, I'm now considered a part of Gen Y not Z.  ;D I was born in 95' I remember late 90s/early 00s in general. I remember 9/11 but it really didn't stand out probably because I live in Canada, But I still remember the year and events in the year. Looks like I'm in Y after all.  :P

Written By: Inertia on 08/23/12 at 9:33 am

Alright, Because of you, I'm now considered a part of Gen Y not Z.  ;D I was born in 95' I remember late 90s/early 00s in general. I remember 9/11 but it really didn't stand out probably because I live in Canada, But I still remember the year and events in the year. Looks like I'm in Y after all.  :P

I think you're a Y.

I'd rather be a Y than a Z. I like how the letter Y looks better. I know that's weird but visually it's more appealing to me.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/23/12 at 10:44 am

I was born in 95' I remember late 90s/early 00s in general.

Anybody who is still under 18 is not really Y in my opinion. Y ended with those who came of age by around 2010. Y has to remember the pre-Internet world and that's not the case for somebody born in the mid-90's. 9/11 has nothing to do with cultural definitions; it's more about technology.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 08/23/12 at 11:03 am

Anybody who is still under 18 is not really Y in my opinion. Y ended with those who came of age by around 2010. Y has to remember the pre-Internet world and that's not the case for somebody born in the mid-90's. 9/11 has nothing to do with cultural definitions; it's more about technology.

Yeah this does seem more accurate.  :P I agree, because technology and the internet is more of a world -wide indication of which generation you are in rather than 9/11 which is mostly for the U.S. I literally do not remember life without the Internet. (I didn't use it when I was little, but it was still there and widely used) But yeah I always thought of myself as Gen Z but I don't know.  :-\\

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/23/12 at 11:30 am

I literally do not remember life without the Internet. (I didn't use it when I was little, but it was still there and widely used

Yes, and that's exactly the case. For a 'Y'er, the internet was something new and exciting at the beginning. Typical for Y is, that this generation adopted that technology very fast because they were still very young.

For a 'Z'er, the internet was/is the same what TV used to be for the Y(and also X)-generation: A technology which was always there and which was less special for them.

In my opinion to be Y, besides toddler memories you really have to remember living in the 90's.

Written By: Inertia on 08/23/12 at 11:58 am

I disagree. 9/11 is all a mutual experience Generation Y shared which shaped our development.

I think shared experiences are more important than the technology.

Some generations do not have a technology which really defines their time, but every decade has certain events that occurred which would heavily shape their views of the world.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/23/12 at 12:10 pm

I think shared experiences are more important than the technology.

The original generational divisions and definitions of X,Y and Z are based on technology.

Why is 9/11 so typical 'Y'? It could also be 'X'.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/23/12 at 12:35 pm

I really don't believe it's a solely technological issue more so than values, attitudes, and lifestyles -- most of which were heavily shaped by events occurring in our youth.

Probably if you life outside the states, that is the case. 9/11 was not the only thing that happened during the last decades - there were cultural things that affected my life a lot more, for example open borders to most European countries, getting a new currency (Euro) in 2002...

You see that some events only affect selected countries, however technology is a thing that really is global and therefore the best aspect to distinguish between generations.

Written By: Inertia on 08/23/12 at 12:37 pm

Probably if you life outside the states, that is the case. 9/11 was not the only thing that happened during the last decades - there were cultural things that affected my life a lot more, for example open borders to most European countries, getting a new currency (Euro) in 2002...

You see that some events only affect selected countries, however technology is a thing that really is global and therefore the best aspect to distinguish between generations.

You make a valid point about differences between countries. Hrm, well I don't know. It's an interesting discussion regardless.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/23/12 at 12:46 pm

It's an interesting discussion regardless.

Agree with that.

BTW I found it interesting that even ExtremeMan8 as a Canadian feels not that attached to the 9/11 events, and he lives a lot closer to the USA than Europeans do.

Written By: Inertia on 08/23/12 at 12:57 pm

Agree with that.

BTW I found it interesting that even ExtremeMan8 as a Canadian feels not that attached to the 9/11 events, and he lives a lot closer to the USA than Europeans do.

Some people cope and handle events differently regardless of proximity.  8)

Written By: Howard on 08/23/12 at 2:16 pm

So what about for the guys that are about my age 35-40 (45)? Are we Generation X? ???

Written By: Emman on 08/23/12 at 2:50 pm

I really do think the explosion of EDM in the US is a cultural landmark for millennials, is it the same with Europe(like in Germany where you live), dance music has been popular in Europe for 30+ years now, from what I've heard, disco never even died, it just continued(in electronic form) throughout the '80s and morphed into house/euro-trance in the '90s/'00s. During most of the '00s EDM was generally mocked by the mainstream music culture(which was extremely hip-hop dominated in the US).

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/23/12 at 3:56 pm

So what about for the guys that are about my age 35-40 (45)? Are we Generation X? ???

Birth year 1974? That's a 'good' X.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/23/12 at 3:58 pm

I really do think the explosion of EDM in the US is a cultural landmark for millennials, is it the same with Europe(like in Germany where you live),

I agree, music is also generational aspect which is not country specific.

Written By: Emman on 08/23/12 at 5:09 pm

Gen X includes those in their 30s and 40s today(born 1961-1981) while Millennial includes twenty-somethings and teenagers(born 1982-2004), this is tricky because Gen Y can often include those born in the late '70s but ends in the mid '90s. So Gen Y can be the last wave of Gen X, Gen Y is a older generation(about age 17/18-34 as of '12) than Millennials(age 8-30 as of '12) even though they are often synonymous with each other.

If you were born in 1974 then you are strictly Gen X without a doubt.

Written By: RG1995 on 08/23/12 at 10:48 pm

I'd consider myself more Y than Z. Probably because I have an older sister, and I actually remember some Y stuff like 9/11, old Nick, and AOL.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/23/12 at 11:30 pm

Here's a potential generational marker -- ask yourself this: is it better to have a nice car or a nice phone?

And the audience rebuttal: Preferring a nice phone and a snazzy tablet to a fancy car isn't about being cheap, it's about being frugal, and besides, a smartphone or tablet is simply more useful than a car anyways.

Bubbling under this debate is the notion that the Boomer and Xer grew up with the automobile as the thing that connected them to their friends (and got them out of the supervisory range of their parents).  After cellular/wireless/SMS/texting became widely available, the Millenials and future generations grew up with portable computing devices as the things that connected them to their friends.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 08/24/12 at 12:04 am

Agree with that.

Yeah I feel bad for the victims and all other Canadians do but obviously we are not as as attached to it as the U.S. is.

Written By: Howard on 08/24/12 at 6:58 am

Birth year 1974? That's a 'good' X.

We are the people who lived the mid 80's.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 08/24/12 at 1:59 pm

Did anyone else notice that these articles that talk about the generations tend to generalize everyone born in a given year as having also graduated all in the same year? For example, when naming 1990 as the beginning, they usually say "they graduated high school in 2008". At least where I grew up, the kindergarten cut-off date seemed to roughly coincide with the beginning of the school year, with the Sept '90 babies being the oldest in my class and the Aug '91 babies being the youngest. I was born in October 1990, therefore I graduated in 2009 with a lot of 1991 people. However, I know when my mom was in school, she was one of the youngest and she also has an October birthday.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/24/12 at 4:18 pm

Did anyone else notice that these articles that talk about the generations tend to generalize everyone born in a given year as having also graduated all in the same year?

What does the graduation year say about the person anyway? What is happening if you had to repeat one or two years? A '90er could possibly also in the class of '11, right? Does it mean that he is in a slightly different 'generation' than his 1990-born friends who graduated properly in 2008 or 9?

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 08/24/12 at 8:03 pm

hmm, I would say it's very rare for someone to repeat two years. Maybe if they live in an underprivileged area where there is less motivation, i.e. the inner city/ghetto. Even having to repeat just one year isn't very common, but it does happen. Then there are also opposite cases where someone might skip a grade and graduate a year early. So I guess someone born in 1990 could have graduated any time between 2007 and 2010, but 99% would have in 2008 and 2009, and in extreme cases, earlier or later than '07/'10.

However, to answer your question about how much graduation year matters, I think that would depend on how early in the person's schooling they had to repeat. From my experience, for most people who get held back, it's usually in first grade. So a late '90er who repeated 1st grade would have gone through 1st grade (2.0) through their senior year of high school with late '91/'92 babies. Let's pretend for a minute that 1991 is the start of Gen Z, then I guess the '90er would have grown up with mostly early Gen Zers and would probably adopt a significant amount of their culture with them. If someone has to repeat their senior year of high school, then it's probably not going to have an effect on what generation they'll identify with, because they'll already be of age by that point and made friends with other 1990ers through the years.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/25/12 at 2:53 am

hmm, I would say it's very rare for someone to repeat two years.

It's not so rare in Germany; and one year is not uncommon. That's why I have asked ;)

But I guess you are right - it depends on when you had to repeat; however I'd value the influence of the family a bit higher than the school environment. Especially if you had/have older siblings.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/26/12 at 3:00 pm

Here's a potential generational marker -- ask yourself this: is it better to have a nice car or a nice phone?

And the audience rebuttal: Preferring a nice phone and a snazzy tablet to a fancy car isn't about being cheap, it's about being frugal, and besides, a smartphone or tablet is simply more useful than a car anyways.

Bubbling under this debate is the notion that the Boomer and Xer grew up with the automobile as the thing that connected them to their friends (and got them out of the supervisory range of their parents).  After cellular/wireless/SMS/texting became widely available, the Millenials and future generations grew up with portable computing devices as the things that connected them to their friends.

I am Gen Y and a car is more important to me than a phone. Busses are unsafe in a lot of areas and unreliable. Transport by car is several times faster than any type of transportation by bus. I am an extreme introvert so I don't feel the need to be connected to people 24/7. A nice laptop would also be more important to me than a nice phone.

Written By: af2010 on 08/26/12 at 3:48 pm

hmm, I would say it's very rare for someone to repeat two years. Maybe if they live in an underprivileged area where there is less motivation, i.e. the inner city/ghetto. Even having to repeat just one year isn't very common, but it does happen. Then there are also opposite cases where someone might skip a grade and graduate a year early. So I guess someone born in 1990 could have graduated any time between 2007 and 2010, but 99% would have in 2008 and 2009, and in extreme cases, earlier or later than '07/'10.

However, to answer your question about how much graduation year matters, I think that would depend on how early in the person's schooling they had to repeat. From my experience, for most people who get held back, it's usually in first grade. So a late '90er who repeated 1st grade would have gone through 1st grade (2.0) through their senior year of high school with late '91/'92 babies. Let's pretend for a minute that 1991 is the start of Gen Z, then I guess the '90er would have grown up with mostly early Gen Zers and would probably adopt a significant amount of their culture with them. If someone has to repeat their senior year of high school, then it's probably not going to have an effect on what generation they'll identify with, because they'll already be of age by that point and made friends with other 1990ers through the years.

That makes some sense.  As a late 87er, I had way more early 88 friends growing up than early 87 (who were a grade ahead of me).  I don't put too much stock into generations to begin with; they're just social constructs.  The age difference is what matters.  An early gen Y will relate more to a late gen Xer than they will a late gen Yer.

Written By: belmont22 on 08/28/12 at 11:19 am

1990 is not remotely Gen Z. That's just ridiculous. It's still the heart of Gen Y.

Written By: belmont22 on 08/28/12 at 11:22 am

My definition of Gen Y would be if you could remember at least one thing from 1999. Thus, I would say 1996, maybe just maybe early 1997 born are the very youngest Gen Yers.

I would say Gen Y is roughly 1983-1996 born, 1980-82 could go either way as far as being Gen X or Gen Y since they were primarily nineties teens but a bit young for a lot of the earlier Gen X experiences. 1990 is pretty much the very middle of the generation, I'd say 1986-91 born people epitomize the Y generation.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/28/12 at 1:17 pm

My definition of Gen Y would be if you could remember at least one thing from 1999. Thus, I would say 1996, maybe just maybe early 1997 born are the very youngest Gen Yers.

They'd probably remember a thing of 1999. However that 'thing' had probably nothing to do with the pop culture of that year. The memory of the 90's decade must have been meaningful and understood by the individual:

Let it be for example a political event or a natural desaster. Playing in the sandbox does not count.

In my opinion, Gen Y would be somebody who could at least remember the late 90's and who was a toddler in the mid-90's (93-96) at latest. That's why I tend to pick 92/93 for the last Y-birthyears. Everybody knows that today's teenagers can't be our generation!

Written By: kingofpain on 08/28/12 at 3:40 pm

My opinion...anyone born before or in 1992 is Generation Y. 1993-5 are in the cusp....1996 is where Gen Z fully begins.

I also never understood the sources that said Y included those born circa 1977...I think that's too early.

This times a million.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/28/12 at 4:38 pm

This times a million.

Who mentioned that 1990=Z anyway? They/You had memories of more than a half of the 90's and the 2000's was their/your teenage time (except for the early part). That's enough to be considered Y IMO.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 08/28/12 at 5:01 pm

Wikipedia lists the early 90s as the beginning of Gen Z, though it acknowledges other starting points as well. It links to various news articles that use 1990, although a lot use 1991 as well.

My opinion? Sources that use 1990 do so out of laziness, picking an arbitrary/convenient year at the start of a decade rather than one based on historical sociology (where mid-90s birth years would make more sense).

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 08/28/12 at 5:11 pm

Then again, I should point out that one of the arguments cited for 1990 as the beginning is that we were the first to come of age during the 2008 recession. The only flaw with that is that people don't truly "come of age" at 18 when they graduate high school anymore. Rather, most people go to college these days and hence venture out into the real world when they're 22ish. So you can't really argue that 1990ers were the first ones affected by the recession. By that logic, the people who think coming of age in 2008 = Gen Z would have to shift the inaugural birth year back to about 1986, who were graduating college and looking for jobs in 2008. Practically no one would agree that 1986 = Gen Z. Who knows how much longer this recession will last anyway? If the economy gets better next year, does that mean Gen Z will only span about 5 years?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/28/12 at 5:15 pm

My opinion? Sources that use 1990 do so out of laziness, picking an arbitrary/convenient year at the start of a decade rather than one based on historical sociology (where mid-90s birth years would make more sense).

Probably. It's maybe due to the '9', however it is c*** not to consider differences within decades.

(where mid-90s birth years would make more sense).

Agreed. Like I said. Z are those who were still kids in the second half of the 00's, which would include anybody born in and after 1993.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/28/12 at 5:21 pm

Practically no one would agree that 1986 = Gen Z.

LOL no since we only had a very short period of Y under this circumstance.

Rather, most people go to college these days and hence venture out into the real world when they're 22ish.

Actually I am still studying at university until about 2014ish and I am still living at home for most days of the year. These are all generalizations. It's not that my 'Y'-memories are gone due to this fact - even if I am still not really earning money yet.  ;D

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 08/28/12 at 5:33 pm

Right, there will always be people going to school well after age 22. Even some baby boomers are in school taking classes 8)

2008 was just the first year that 1986ers were able to graduate (unless they graduated early or skipped some grades/started school early, of course).

Written By: belmont22 on 08/29/12 at 6:28 am

I'm actually gonna START college at 23 and I was born in 1990.

But yeah, there's no way Generation Y doesn't include 1990. Like we have more in common with someone born in 2005 than we do with someone born in 1980? Don't think so  ::)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/29/12 at 6:56 am

Like we have more in common with someone born in 2005 than we do with someone born in 1980?

Not really.

1980 and 1990 born people are adults while 2005 born people are kids. The age gap is also bigger (10 vs. 15 years).

It would be interesting to look at it again in 15-20 years, however I'd still think, that 1980ers are closer because of the pre-internet-experience you can share with them.

Written By: belmont22 on 08/29/12 at 1:47 pm

Not really.

1980 and 1990 born people are adults while 2005 born people are kids. The age gap is also bigger (10 vs. 15 years).

It would be interesting to look at it again in 15-20 years, however I'd still think, that 1980ers are closer because of the pre-internet-experience you can share with them.

Yeah I mean, first year a 1980er could remember well is probably 1984. First year a 1990er could remember well, 1994. 2005er? Maybe 2009? Yeah 1990 is WAY closer to 1980 and always will be.

Written By: joeman on 08/29/12 at 7:51 pm

Yeah I mean, first year a 1980er could remember well is probably 1984. First year a 1990er could remember well, 1994. 2005er? Maybe 2009? Yeah 1990 is WAY closer to 1980 and always will be.

I agree with this statement.  I guess a both a 1990er and a 2005er can relate in regards of pop culture of the mid-late 2010s, but that is about it.  I think 1990 is core Y while 2005 is early Z or core Z imo.

Written By: kingofpain on 08/31/12 at 1:56 pm

Who mentioned that 1990=Z anyway? They/You had memories of more than a half of the 90's and the 2000's was their/your teenage time (except for the early part). That's enough to be considered Y IMO.

Most people here don't, but like Marc1990 said, there are some who conveniently lump 1990 into Gen Z and it's extremely irritating and stupid.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/07/12 at 5:50 pm

Most people here don't, but like Marc1990 said, there are some who conveniently lump 1990 into Gen Z and it's extremely irritating and stupid.

I even think 1991 and 1992 being called 'generation z' is stupid. If we use the 'turning four' rule, then someone born in 1991 has experienced 1995 onwards, and someone born in 1992 has experienced 1996 onwards. Since when do 1995/1996 = Ipods/no memory before 9/11 and DVD players being widely used etc.

My take: 1993 - 1996 is the Y/Z cusp and 1997 onwards is generation z.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/07/12 at 5:58 pm

I agree with this statement.  I guess a both a 1990er and a 2005er can relate in regards of pop culture of the mid-late 2010s, but that is about it.  I think 1990 is core Y while 2005 is early Z or core Z imo.

Exactly. There is a massive difference between turning 4 to "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden and turning 4 to "I Gotta Feeling" by Black Eyed Peas. If you are old enough to remember a song from the 1990s decade being new and popular, no way are you like those born in 2005. They were only being born the year Youtube came out, those born in 1990 and even 1992 were teenagers in 2005.

Written By: TakaWuKid91 on 09/08/12 at 3:07 am

I even think 1991 and 1992 being called 'generation z' is stupid. If we use the 'turning four' rule, then someone born in 1991 has experienced 1995 onwards, and someone born in 1992 has experienced 1996 onwards. Since when do 1995/1996 = Ipods/no memory before 9/11 and DVD players being widely used etc.

My take: 1993 - 1996 is the Y/Z cusp and 1997 onwards is generation z.

I remember talking to some girl one time when I was 18 and she was about 21/22, telling me how she thinks 14 and 18 year olds are the same to her, which I thought was stupid because other than the obvious physical differences, there's an emotional and mental maturity difference between the two...

I find it strange how people think that people like me ('91er) are the same as someone born after 9/11, my cousin was born in '03 and there's an obvious gap between us.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/08/12 at 4:08 am

Exactly. There is a massive difference between turning 4 to "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden and turning 4 to "I Gotta Feeling" by Black Eyed Peas.

Believe me, I didn't care what was in the charts when I was turning 4 - and I guess that a lot of people share that experience.

Even if I am doing research what was No. 1 at my 4th birthday - I can't relate to that music.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/08/12 at 4:16 am

I find it strange how people think that people like me ('91er) are the same as someone born after 9/11, my cousin was born in '03 and there's an obvious gap between us.

Yes, there is a big gap. But it really depends on what you're talking about. If you're talking about your childhood and your experiences in the 'good old time' it is obvious that a 10 to 12-year younger guy can't relate to a lot of things. That is even possible within the same generation: I have been talking to a friend of mine born in 1982 and she is always talking about how nice the 80's were - and she actually remembers the fall of the Berlin Wall, while I only do it very very vaguely. And we're both Y and there is only a 4-year-difference.

If you're talking about current stuff, the difference should not be that visible.

Written By: TakaWuKid91 on 09/08/12 at 4:37 am

Yes, there is a big gap. But it really depends on what you're talking about. If you're talking about your childhood and your experiences in the 'good old time' it is obvious that a 10 to 12-year younger guy can't relate to a lot of things. That is even possible within the same generation: I have been talking to a friend of mine born in 1982 and she is always talking about how nice the 80's were - and she actually remembers the fall of the Berlin Wall, while I only do it very very vaguely. And we're both Y and there is only a 4-year-difference.

If you're talking about current stuff, the difference should not be that visible.

Yeah I was talking  more about childhood but even with modern stuff, the difference is obvious. I agree with what you're saying about differences even within a generation. You were born '86, I'm a '91er.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/08/12 at 5:31 am

Believe me, I didn't care what was in the charts when I was turning 4 - and I guess that a lot of people share that experience.

Even if I am doing research what was No. 1 at my 4th birthday - I can't relate to that music.

That's besides my point though. The idea is that you start to be aware of culture at a completely different time.

Written By: belmont22 on 09/08/12 at 10:42 pm

What really will make Gen Z fundamentally different from Y anyways? I can't really think of anything, Generation Y is considered defined by technology and multiculturalism and guess what ... so is Gen Z.

Not that differences won't become apparent in the future. I'm just saying we can't really draw a boundary yet when we don't know for sure what the definitive Gen Z experience, or indeed even the definitive Gen Y experience is.

Written By: belmont22 on 09/08/12 at 10:44 pm

With that said, unless you want to start Gen Y way back into the middle years of the 1970s, Gen Z can't begin any earlier than 1995.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/08/12 at 10:55 pm

What really will make Gen Z fundamentally different from Y anyways? I can't really think of anything, Generation Y is considered defined by technology and multiculturalism and guess what ... so is Gen Z.

Not that differences won't become apparent in the future. I'm just saying we can't really draw a boundary yet when we don't know for sure what the definitive Gen Z experience, or indeed even the definitive Gen Y experience is.

Gen Z is defined by recession culture.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/09/12 at 2:50 am

I don't know if it's true, but I have read that Gen Y was not born into the technology we have today and still remembers a life before mass technology took over (especially internet) - while still being young when it became common. Gen Z was born directly into it and has no memory of the pre-internet culture.

And that's a thing which would make sense in my opinion.

Written By: TakaWuKid91 on 09/09/12 at 3:46 pm

I don't know if it's true, but I have read that Gen Y was not born into the technology we have today and still remembers a life before mass technology took over (especially internet) - while still being young when it became common. Gen Z was born directly into it and has no memory of the pre-internet culture.

Slightly off topic but this is one of the reasons why I just think it's a little silly when people born after '92 (or really people born '94 onwards) try to be "90s Kids" even though most of them spent their childhood in the 00s and hell some of them aren't even out of high school yet.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/09/12 at 3:50 pm

Slightly off topic but this is one of the reasons (...)

What reason do you exactly mean? That 90's kids were born before that technological shift?

Written By: TakaWuKid91 on 09/09/12 at 4:08 pm

What reason do you exactly mean? That 90's kids were born before that technological shift?

Those kids born in the mid/late 90s are in a weird position, a lot of them spent most of their childhood in the 00s but at the same time many of them aren't even out of high school yet. The generation gap between the early 90s children and them is kind of obvious, that's why I said it's a little silly hearing them claim the 90s. Hell, I was born in '91 and I see myself as a child of the 00s more than a child of the 90s.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/09/12 at 4:43 pm

Those kids born in the mid/late 90s are in a weird position, a lot of them spent most of their childhood in the 00s but at the same time many of them aren't even out of high school yet. The generation gap between the early 90s children and them is kind of obvious, that's why I said it's a little silly hearing them claim the 90s. Hell, I was born in '91 and I see myself as a child of the 00s more than a child of the 90s.

Agreed. Do people born in 95 remember the Power Rangers being popular in the 90s? Well, by the time they were 4 it was 1999 so I doubt it. Hell, they were only turning 3 in 1998 (the year Pokemon came out). So why people born from 93/94 onwards want to claim to be 90s over 00s is a mystery. And like you said, if you are born in 95+ or even late 94, you aren't even 18 today.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/09/12 at 5:03 pm

Agreed. Do people born in 95 remember the Power Rangers being popular in the 90s? Well, by the time they were 4 it was 1999 so I doubt it. Hell, they were only turning 3 in 1998 (the year Pokemon came out). So why people born from 93/94 onwards want to claim to be 90s over 00s is a mystery. And like you said, if you are born in 95+ or even late 94, you aren't even 18 today.

This discussion is SO old.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=42636.0

Written By: TakaWuKid91 on 09/09/12 at 5:11 pm

Exactly. I'm not trying to be mean or anything but I always thought it was kind of weird for them to do that, but I think it has a lot to do with how the older generation trashed the 00s.

Written By: af2010 on 09/10/12 at 2:12 pm

That's my opinion also.  I think there's a big difference between someone who was growing up during that technological transition, and someone who was born right in the thick of it and doesn't remember life before the internet and cellphones were common.  Whether or not that makes them a different generation is a matter of opinion, but I definitely think it creates a "generational gap".

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 01/06/13 at 7:01 am

Generation Y grow up into globalization and Digital transition technology (we remember the transition, at the very least before Internet and Computer was just into our house in late 90s- early 00s)

Generation Z is born Completely into this modern age, they never know the world without being connected all the time?? where else we remember the world prior to that....

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/14 at 3:53 pm

This discussion is SO old.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=42636.0
...and it repeated again and again!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/14 at 4:19 pm

...and it repeated again and again!
...and again!

Written By: KatanaChick on 07/27/14 at 10:36 pm

Exactly. I'm not trying to be mean or anything but I always thought it was kind of weird for them to do that, but I think it has a lot to do with how the older generation trashed the 00s.

Trashed the 00's over what?

Written By: Howard on 02/27/18 at 7:00 am

I just don't understand today's generation for as I'm in my mid 40's and we're doing stupid things like eating Tide Pods, doing cinnamon challenges, taking nude selfies just to name a few. What things have you seen in today's generation have you thought to yourself that was stupid to do?

Written By: TheKid99 on 02/27/18 at 7:16 am

I just don't understand today's generation for as I'm in my mid 40's and we're doing stupid things like eating Tide Pods, doing cinnamon challenges, taking nude selfies just to name a few. What things have you seen in today's generation have you thought to yourself that was stupid to do?

Only those in my generation that have a low IQ are eating tide pods. Cinnamon challenges are really old. And nude selfies.... well I have never taken one so....  ::)

Tide Pods started off as a meme that then became serious for those who dont know any better.

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/27/18 at 7:28 am

Only those in my generation that have a low IQ are eating tide pods. Cinnamon challenges are really old. And nude selfies.... well I have never taken one so....  ::)

Tide Pods started off as a meme that then became serious for those who dont know any better.

I'm afraid that gen z will make my generation's mistake which is repeating the crappy mistakes of the past but correcting them in a way that's convenient. Real change is going to disrupt your entire reality.

Written By: Howard on 02/27/18 at 7:55 am

I wonder what's next?  ???

Written By: BornIn86 on 02/27/18 at 8:35 am

I wonder what's next?  ???

Summoning demons, of course.

Written By: Howard on 02/27/18 at 2:00 pm

Summoning demons, of course.

God I hope not.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/27/18 at 2:50 pm

Wait...what??

Written By: 80sfan on 02/27/18 at 3:35 pm

All people born after 1985 are the same to me.  :D

Check for new replies or respond here...