inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Hollywood sociopathic?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 03/01/11 at 5:28 pm

Hollywood & the media in general seems to revel in a celebrity destroying themselves, generally falling, messing up or just acting like a human being in having flaws. Look at how the media treated MJ before he died, or how they treated Britney (turning the depressing circus that became her life into entertainment), or following Miley Cyrus' messing up, or Mel Gibson's personal life and using his own words against him to destory him--same thing they're doing now with Charlie Sheen. It just seems like the Hollywood, the media, and perhaps our society in general has become a bit sociopathic--We no longer treat these celebrities as just human beings, who like us have flaws, but instead their struggles, emotional troubles and self destruction have become a sick form of entertainment.

Subject: Re: Is Hollywood sociopathic?

Written By: ladybug316 on 03/01/11 at 5:42 pm

Hey, they're paid big bucks to entertain us!  How they choose to do it is their business  ;D 

Personally, I think Charlie Sheen has been funnier in the last couple of days spouting crap for free than he ever was following a script and making 1 million bucks!

Written By: gibbo on 03/01/11 at 5:57 pm

The issue with the Western world ...and the U.S. in particular. is celebrity worship. The look at the way the audience carries on with Oprah Winfrey etc.

Suddenly, mainstream news programs are filled with stories about the likes of Charlie Sheen and co.  Charlie only said one sensible thing recently ... and that was to ask why he was a lead story when people are dying in horrific events around the world.

Somehow, we need to break away from this present culture that makes us number one all the time and puts celebrities on an unrealistic pedestal.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 03/01/11 at 7:06 pm

Hey, they're paid big bucks to entertain us!  How they choose to do it is their business  ;D 

Personally, I think Charlie Sheen has been funnier in the last couple of days spouting crap for free than he ever was following a script and making 1 million bucks!

I don't others' stress entertaining, personally. Call me a social prude or whatever, but to me a celeb messing up isn't funny, cause they're people just like you and I.

Written By: Howard on 03/01/11 at 7:21 pm

How about the actors and actresses who did drugs or got caught with them and wound up in a jail picture.  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 03/02/11 at 3:05 pm

Um. We needed something to distract is from the goings on in Libya and the rising gas prices.

Ever notice how these huge celeb coverages always coincide with some major event not being covered in the news?

Written By: 80sfan on 03/02/11 at 3:25 pm

Hollywood isn't a sociopathic, human nature is. Hollywood is only a reflection of what the public wants.

Once Eve took a bite of that apple we were never the same.  :-\\

Written By: ladybug316 on 03/02/11 at 6:54 pm

I don't others' stress entertaining, personally. Call me a social prude or whatever, but to me a celeb messing up isn't funny, cause they're people just like you and I.

...Um, ok, you're a social prude.

Written By: ladybug316 on 03/02/11 at 6:55 pm

The issue with the Western world ...and the U.S. in particular. is celebrity worship. The look at the way the audience carries on with Oprah Winfrey etc.

Suddenly, mainstream news programs are filled with stories about the likes of Charlie Sheen and co.  Charlie only said one sensible thing recently ... and that was to ask why he was a lead story when people are dying in horrific events around the world.

Somehow, we need to break away from this present culture that makes us number one all the time and puts celebrities on an unrealistic pedestal.

Ditto for athletes! 

Written By: 80sfan on 03/02/11 at 7:22 pm

How about the actors and actresses who did drugs or got caught with them and wound up in a jail picture.  ::)

I wouldn't look good in a jail pictue so I decided to try my best to not go to jail. I'm not Paris Hilton or thin!  :-\\

Written By: 80sfan on 03/02/11 at 7:25 pm

I'm guilty of liking watching people like Charlie Sheen mess up.  :-[

As long as I don't have to meet those people in real life then I feel safe in my home.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 03/02/11 at 7:27 pm

It's the big money and fortune that gives them the power to do things like smoke do drugs buy big houses,big cars and stuff.

Written By: Howard on 03/02/11 at 7:28 pm

Um. We needed something to distract is from the goings on in Libya and the rising gas prices.

Ever notice how these huge celeb coverages always coincide with some major event not being covered in the news?

It's like there's nothing else in the news besides them!  ::)

Written By: ladybug316 on 03/02/11 at 7:42 pm

It's the big money and fortune that gives them the power to do things like smoke do drugs buy big houses,big cars and stuff.

No Howard, regular people do that too.

Written By: Howard on 03/02/11 at 8:02 pm

No Howard, regular people do that too.

Maybe the fame and fortune get to their heads.  ???

Written By: ladybug316 on 03/02/11 at 8:04 pm

Maybe the fame and fortune get to their heads.  ???

Yes, Howard.  They start to believe they're special.

Written By: Howard on 03/02/11 at 8:05 pm

Yes, Howard.  They start to believe they're special.

and start talking weird.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/02/11 at 9:50 pm

Hollywood & the media in general seems to revel in a celebrity destroying themselves, generally falling, messing up or just acting like a human being in having flaws.

Hey, they might be bugs to you, but if you were a tiger-blooded F-18 with Adonis DNA who does strafing runs in his underwear before his first cup of coffee when not dealing with fools and trolls, you'd see they're really features.

Karma for truth.  I normally stay away from celebritard blowups, but this one is either the most spectacularly-well-orchestrated troll evar, or he really is going to go down in a ball of flames, singing "I did it my way".  Either way, I gotta hand it to him - either for trolling the entire country, or for making a conscious decision to depart from the "Mistakes were made, I'm so sorry I got caught!" script prepared for him by his publicist, and to end his career on his own terms in truly spectacular fashion.

Owe you another one tomorrow.  Again with the truth.  That interview was way funnier than anything he's done since Hot Shots.  Speaking of which, look on the upper-left corner of the DVD.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/6409/hotshots1za2.jpg

That there's an F-18.  All of this has been foretold for a decade.  The prophecy is fulfilled; as it was with Spears, as it was with Cyrus, so shall it be with Sheen.  It is time for harvest.

Written By: MrCleveland on 03/03/11 at 2:01 pm

Hollywood isn't a sociopathic, human nature is. Hollywood is only a reflection of what the public wants.

Karma, Karma, Karma for this!

This world is broken and so are we!

Written By: tv on 03/03/11 at 5:30 pm

No, Hollywood  in terms of the tabloids was way more popular from 2003-2006 period with Paris Hilton per say. Now coverage of Hollywood Celebs is as mainstream but less popular than the 2003-2006 period  if you will.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/04/11 at 10:32 pm

It's been that way since The Original Snub.

But it wasn't Eve from the Judeo-Christian stories, it was Eris from the Greco-Roman stories.  As the story goes, She got snubbed when it came to handing out invitations to the Olympian equivalent of the Oscars, and for revenge, inscribed Apple of Discord "kallisti" (lit. "to the prettiest one"), and tossed it onto the red carpet.  The mad scramble amongst the Olympian partygoers resulted in much amusement, and by "amusement", I mean the Trojan War.  

(Even by the standards of the Olympian pantheon, Eris had a particularly offbeat sense of humor :)

Written By: 80sfan on 03/04/11 at 10:43 pm

It's been that way since The Original Snub.

But it wasn't Eve from the Judeo-Christian stories, it was Eris from the Greco-Roman stories.  As the story goes, She got snubbed when it came to handing out invitations to the Olympian equivalent of the Oscars, and for revenge, inscribed Apple of Discord "kallisti" (lit. "to the prettiest one"), and tossed it onto the red carpet.  The mad scramble amongst the Olympian partygoers resulted in much amusement, and by "amusement", I mean the Trojan War.  

(Even by the standards of the Olympian pantheon, Eris had a particularly offbeat sense of humor :)

I think I kinda like Greek mythology.

If I was Eris I would've tossed a bomb instead, but then I don't think the Gods use bombs do they?  ;D

Then instead of the 'beauty' Goddesses fighting over who was more beautiful can now fight over who gets to run away from the bomb first!

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/05/11 at 12:12 am

If I was Eris I would've tossed a bomb instead, but then I don't think the Gods use bombs do they?  Grin

http://i.imgur.com/Qh6CK.jpg

They sure do, man, they sure do.

Then instead of the 'beauty' Goddesses fighting over who was more beautiful can now fight over who gets to run away from the bomb first!

But why?  Especially in comparison to the years of chaos and bitterness, thousands of lives lost, all because she knew that simply asking "who's the prettiest of them all" would far eclipse the temporary disruption of the metaphorical equivalent of throwing Her drink across the table. 

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said, "Stop! Don't do it!" "Why shouldn't I?" he said. I said, "Well, there's so much to live for!" He said, "Like what?" I said, "Well, are you religious or atheist?" He said, "Religious." I said, "Me too! Are your Christian or Buddhist?" He said, "Christian." I said, "Me too! Are you Catholic or Protestant?" He said, "Protestant." I said, Me too! Are your Episcopalian or Baptist? He said, "Baptist!" I said, "Wow! Me too! Are your Baptist Church of God or Baptist Church of the Lord? He said, Baptist Church of God!" I said, "Me too! Are your Original Baptist Church of God or are you Reformed Baptist Church of God?" He said, "Reformed Baptist Church of God!" I said, "Me too! Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1879, or Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1915?" He said, "Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1915!" I said, "Die, heretic scum!" and pushed him off.

In academia, business, and especially in Hollywood, the rule holds true: the less important the issue, the bigger the fight over it.

Written By: ProfS on 03/05/11 at 10:46 pm

Hollywood isn't sociopathic, it's the paparazzi for taking the pictures, the so-called news shows who air it, and the people who eat this up because they have nothing better to do.

Written By: Howard on 03/06/11 at 6:55 am

Hollywood isn't sociopathic, it's the paparazzi for taking the pictures, the so-called news shows who air it, and the people who eat this up because they have nothing better to do.

You have a point there.

Written By: kitkat1991 on 03/11/11 at 9:53 am

Hollywood & the media in general seems to revel in a celebrity destroying themselves, generally falling, messing up or just acting like a human being in having flaws. Look at how the media treated MJ before he died, or how they treated Britney (turning the depressing circus that became her life into entertainment), or following Miley Cyrus' messing up, or Mel Gibson's personal life and using his own words against him to destory him--same thing they're doing now with Charlie Sheen. It just seems like the Hollywood, the media, and perhaps our society in general has become a bit sociopathic--We no longer treat these celebrities as just human beings, who like us have flaws, but instead their struggles, emotional troubles and self destruction have become a sick form of entertainment.

you mean hollyweird? lol. Hollyweird is a fantasy land. Full of false idols. They either make you or they break you.

Check for new replies or respond here...