inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Buy - On The Ropes

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/07/11 at 6:06 am

Saw this article today http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/112269/forecast-for-best-buy-worst-yet-to-come

I wonder if the brass at Best Buy has thought that their whole approach to the sales experience is not working for them?  ???

I refuse to go to a Best Buy anymore.  You go walking in there and every 10 steps are assaulted by a salesperson who asks "How are you doing?".  ::) Hey just get hella outta my way and let me do my shopping.  Besides, if I really need help on an item or its features, a Best Buy salesperson is the last person who would know anything about the goods.  One day I went in there and after like the 5th guy did that, I told him "The next guy who interrupts me and asks me how I am doing and I am walking out of here".  About 5 seconds later a second guy comes up (while the other guy was there) and asks "How are you doing."  I told them "Like I said..." and walked out.  Never been back to one since.  Sears had a better price on the gift I was buying anyway.

A month ago I was at a mall and saw that they had an Apple Store and was eager to check out an iPad (not that I was really gonna buy one).  I walked up to the store entrance and there stood 5 sales people, equally spread apart, like they were the Dallas Cowboys front line and I was Franco Harris going for the goal line.  All ready to ask me "how are you doing, Lyric Boy?".  So I elected to turn around and shop at the local Sears.

Subject: Re: Best Buy - On The Ropes

Written By: gmann on 03/07/11 at 9:06 am

Saw this article today http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/112269/forecast-for-best-buy-worst-yet-to-come

I wonder if the brass at Best Buy has thought that their whole approach to the sales experience is not working for them?  ???

You aren't kidding when you described yourself as "often irritated", are you.  :D

Written By: snozberries on 03/07/11 at 9:30 am

I actually like that the people in best buy notice you and offer assistance. I can't stand being in a store waiting and mo one comes over because they're too busy talking about the party they crashed or the final they failed.
Usually, once I get to the DVD section and start scouring titles they leave me alone. Guess I look like I know what I'm doing then. It's always when I wander aimlessly that they offer assistance.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/07/11 at 11:07 am

I actually like that the people in best buy notice you and offer assistance. I can't stand being in a store waiting and mo one comes over because they're too busy talking about the party they crashed or the final they failed.
Usually, once I get to the DVD section and start scouring titles they leave me alone. Guess I look like I know what I'm doing then. It's always when I wander aimlessly that they offer assistance.

I like assistance most of the time.  ;D I agree because in some stores you have to wait minutes or wave your hands to get attention to get help!  >:(

Written By: whistledog on 03/07/11 at 11:44 am

I go into Best Buy so much, those salespeople know not to mess with me, but it's still in their job that they have to ask me if I need help.

The one dude went into a deep discussion for like 10 minutes about all these Xbox 360 games that I really had no interest in. 

Sometimes, it's as much fun to mess with them as it is a telemarketer over the phone:

- Best Buy Employee:  "Can I help you find anything today?"

- Me doing an extremely loud mantal like voice:  "MY FAVOURITE COLOR IS YELLOW.  WHAT'S YOURS"

Written By: 80sfan on 03/07/11 at 11:48 am

I go into Best Buy so much, those salespeople know not to mess with me, but it's still in their job that they have to ask me if I need help.

The one dude went into a deep discussion for like 10 minutes about all these Xbox 360 games that I really had no interest in. 

Sometimes, it's as much fun to mess with them as it is a telemarketer over the phone:

- Me doing an extremely loud mantal like voice:  "MY FAVOURITE COLOR IS YELLOW.  WHAT'S YOURS"

;D ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 03/07/11 at 11:49 am

That would be terrible for me. To act like I care about what they were talking about! I mean, aren't they supposed to talk about what WE care about? And help us?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/07/11 at 12:13 pm

My issues with Best Buy are caused by its location compared to where I live. A year & a half ago when I was in the market for a laptop, I did my research and found the one I wanted at Best Buy. I had it shipped here. Then last year when I was in the market for a desk top-once again I did my research and found the one I wanted at Best Buy. We were going up north close to the store so we just stopped in and bought the one I wanted. Quick in-quick out. However, shortly after buying it, it died (needed a new mother board) and had to be serviced which meant another trip up north to drop it off and another trip to pick it up again. I'm not too sure if I really like how they repaired it. It is a Gateway computer and now when I bring it up, it says Acer. It also makes a lot of noises that it didn't make before. So far, it is still working so that is what I care about. I have the extended warranty on it so hopefully Best Buy will remain in business for the 4 years my computer is guaranteed. I figured by that time, it will be time to buy a new one.

Cat

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/07/11 at 12:48 pm

I have the opposite problem, I can never find anyone to help.  I see lots of people who work there...standing around and chatting with other employees.  ::)

But they are no where as bad as Lowes.  I've always said that you could be laying on the floor with your intestines hanging out and they wouldn't even offer you a broom to sweep up your mess.  ;D

When I worked in retail I always acknowledged the customer and told them to let me know if they needed any help finding anything then I left them alone to look around. 

Written By: Howard on 03/07/11 at 1:09 pm

I hate some salespeople in general when they come up to you and ask "How you're doing,Would you like some assistance"? I mean every 5 minutes,I just want to shop I don't want you to know how I'm doing.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 03/07/11 at 1:10 pm

;D

Written By: Howard on 03/07/11 at 1:11 pm

That would be terrible for me. To act like I care about what they were talking about! I mean, aren't they supposed to talk about what WE care about? And help us?

Yeah most of them are in their world. ::)

Written By: whistledog on 03/07/11 at 1:54 pm

It's all in the item that you pick up to look at.  The game I happened to pick up was Dynasty Warriors, and from that, the dude obviously thought I was a major fan of Manga and Anime type games, which I am not, so I nodded and basically agreed with everything he said just cause I didn't want to be rude.

Best Buy Employee:  So how did you like that one level in the game that had this, that and the other?
Me:  Oh, it was awesome.  It was more exciting than free cover charge in a stip bar.
Best Buy Employee:  What was your favourite part of the game?
Me:  Oh, I liked the ending the best.  Had a good story line (standard response as that can apply to almost any game)

lol

Written By: Paul on 03/07/11 at 2:00 pm

Sales assistants...don'cha just love 'em?

I was in HMV (massive British CD emporium) some time ago...

Me: 'Excuse me...do you have anything by The Doors?'
Assistant: 'Yeah! Two security guards and an alarm...'

Funny bloke... ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/07/11 at 5:11 pm

I hate some salespeople in general when they come up to you and ask "How you're doing,Would you like some assistance"? I mean every 5 minutes,I just want to shop I don't want you to know how I'm doing.  ::)

You feel my pain.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 03/08/11 at 6:45 am

You feel my pain.  ;D

Sometimes they can get so annoying. ::)

Written By: Howard on 03/08/11 at 6:46 am

Funny bloke... ???

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/08/11 at 11:28 am

Funny bloke... ???

;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/09/11 at 7:35 pm

I refuse to go to a Best Buy anymore.  You go walking in there and every 10 steps are assaulted by a salesperson who asks "How are you doing?".   ::) Hey just get hella outta my way and let me do my shopping.  Besides, if I really need help on an item or its features, a Best Buy salesperson is the last person who would know anything about the goods.  One day I went in there and after like the 5th guy did that, I told him "The next guy who interrupts me and asks me how I am doing and I am walking out of here".  About 5 seconds later a second guy comes up (while the other guy was there) and asks "How are you doing."  I told them "Like I said..." and walked out.  Never been back to one since.  Sears had a better price on the gift I was buying anyway.

A month ago I was at a mall and saw that they had an Apple Store and was eager to check out an iPad (not that I was really gonna buy one).  I walked up to the store entrance and there stood 5 sales people, equally spread apart, like they were the Dallas Cowboys front line and I was Franco Harris going for the goal line.  All ready to ask me "how are you doing, Lyric Boy?".  So I elected to turn around and shop at the local Sears.

My Best Buy story --

I bought a TV there once.  This was before flat screens got cheap.  It was all "How you doin', what can I do for ya?" until I actually made the purchase.  Then the guys in the nice blue shirts were nowhere to be found and I practically gave myself a hoinia hauling the thing out to the car.  It was a tube TV.  Pretty heavy.  Served me well for almost a decade before it croaked, though.  I have a flat screen now via Amazon.  It was a gift from my sweet aunt.  Anyway, does anybody miss Circuit City?  Probably about as much as they'll miss Best Buy when it goes under.
8)

Written By: bchris02 on 03/10/11 at 12:01 am

My Best Buy story --

I bought a TV there once.  This was before flat screens got cheap.  It was all "How you doin', what can I do for ya?" until I actually made the purchase.  Then the guys in the nice blue shirts were nowhere to be found and I practically gave myself a hoinia hauling the thing out to the car.  It was a tube TV.  Pretty heavy.  Served me well for almost a decade before it croaked, though.  I have a flat screen now via Amazon.  It was a gift from my sweet aunt.  Anyway, does anybody miss Circuit City?  Probably about as much as they'll miss Best Buy when it goes under.
8)

If Best Buy goes under, that will be the last of the major electronics stores in most markets.  Best Buy has its problems, but I don't want to not have a brick-and-mortar option especially if I need something immediately and don't want to wait 5-7 days for shipping.

Written By: Howard on 03/10/11 at 6:28 am

If Best Buy goes under, that will be the last of the major electronics stores in most markets.  Best Buy has its problems, but I don't want to not have a brick-and-mortar option especially if I need something immediately and don't want to wait 5-7 days for shipping.

Then who's left? ???

Written By: snozberries on 03/10/11 at 9:40 am

Then who's left? ???

Fry's Electronics is still out there...

Written By: Howard on 03/10/11 at 12:28 pm

I was talking about New York Electronic Stores.

Written By: snozberries on 03/10/11 at 1:10 pm

I was talking about New York Electronic Stores.

Well I'm not a mind reader  :P

Written By: whistledog on 03/10/11 at 2:02 pm

In Canada, we have F uture Shop, so if Best Buy goes under, no big deal.  I shop at Future Shop more anyways.  The sales clerks are friendlier.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/10/11 at 10:41 pm

The things I love most about Fry's is that it's (a) big.  Really big.  I mean you might think it's a long way down to Best Buy, but that's just peanuts to Fry's.  Look!

xRpQLPF0nNA

(b) decently priced for retail, (c) nobody bothers you, and (d) they have the kind of parts department that I always wanted Radio Shack to have, even before Radio Shack became the "You've got questions, we've got blank stares" store.

If you've never heard of Fry's Electronics and you happen to find yourself in the neighborhood of one, you owe it to yourself to experience it at least once.  Block out an hour, and walk through every aisle at least once.  It's kinda like what's depicted in the video and the linked article, and that's what makes it so awesome.

Written By: Howard on 03/11/11 at 6:30 am

Well I'm not a mind reader  :P

Well you don't live in New York,sorry I asked. ::)

Written By: snozberries on 03/11/11 at 9:50 am

Well you don't live in New York,sorry I asked. ::)

That's not it. You shouldve mentioned new York in your first post.
How could I know u meant new York if u didn't say anything about new York?

Written By: Howard on 03/11/11 at 7:06 pm

Sorry Q My bad. :(

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/11/11 at 7:21 pm

Everybody knows that Howard is from New York.  That's a basic assumption.  8)

Written By: Howard on 03/11/11 at 7:29 pm

Thanks LB.

Written By: snozberries on 03/12/11 at 9:06 am

That doesn't mean that every question he has specifically relates to NY. okay most do but not all of them do.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/12/11 at 1:10 pm

That doesn't mean that every question he has specifically relates to NY. okay most do but not all of them do.

Howard is the quintessential New Yorker.  Kinda like Donald Trump.  8)

Except Howard has better hair.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 03/12/11 at 7:07 pm

Howard is the quintessential New Yorker.  Kinda like Donald Trump.   8)

Except Howard has better hair.   ;D

I'm losing my hair.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/12/11 at 7:20 pm

I'm losing my hair.

Well in that case you could learn something from Mr. Trump.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/12/11 at 9:48 pm

What? Take a badger pelt and dye it the color of Tang?
???

Written By: Howard on 03/13/11 at 7:42 am

What? Minoxodil? ::)

Written By: Howard on 03/13/11 at 7:42 am

What? Take a badger pelt and dye it the color of Tang?
???

Maybe jet black would be nice. :D

Check for new replies or respond here...