inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tsunami hits north-eastern Japan after massive quake

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/11/11 at 1:22 am

A massive earthquake has hit the northeast of Japan triggering a tsunami that has caused extensive damage.

Japan's TV showed cars, ships and even buildings being swept away the Fukushima prefecture, after the 8.8 magnitude earthquake.

Officials said a wave as high as 6m (20ft) could strike the coast.

The quake struck about 250 miles (400km) from Tokyo at a depth of 20 miles, shaking building in the capital for several minutes.

The tremor at 1446 local time (0546 GMT) was followed by a series of powerful aftershocks.

Subject: Re: Tsunami hits north-eastern Japan after massive quake

Written By: Dagwood on 03/11/11 at 6:59 am

My prayers are with the people of Japan

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/11/11 at 7:07 am

Very sad and scary.

Hawaii is in the path of the tsunami.  I know we have a board member who lives in Hawaii.  I hope she's OK.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/11/11 at 9:35 am

(((Everyone in Japan and who has been hurt)))

Written By: nally on 03/11/11 at 11:42 am

^ My sentiments exactly.

I heard about this on the news this morning. Since about 8am my time, there has been a tsunami warning for the California coast. So far, no huge waves have been reported (thankfully). However, the beaches are mostly shut down because of this.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/11/11 at 11:47 am

For the past week or so, I have felt that an earthquake was going to happen.  :o :o :o About two days ago, I told Carlos that I thought one was going to hit. I even kept going to the earthquake website to see if any had. However, my ESP was telling me that it would hit HERE-not THERE.

My heart goes out to the people of Japan & the people of Hawaii. My thoughts are especially with Karen (CeramicsFanatic).  I hope she & her family are ok.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 03/11/11 at 11:54 am

^ My sentiments exactly.

I heard about this on the news this morning. Since about 8am my time, there has been a tsunami warning for the California coast. So far, no huge waves have been reported (thankfully). However, the beaches are mostly shut down because of this.

A bad day to go to the beach.  :-\\ Yeah, I agree.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/11/11 at 11:54 am

For the past week or so, I have felt that an earthquake was going to happen.  :o :o :o About two days ago, I told Carlos that I thought one was going to hit. I even kept going to the earthquake website to see if any had. However, my ESP was telling me that it would hit HERE-not THERE.

My heart goes out to the people of Japan & the people of Hawaii. My thoughts are especially with Karen (CeramicsFanatic).  I hope she & her family are ok.

Cat

Wow, you have good instincts.

Written By: nally on 03/11/11 at 11:56 am

A bad day to go to the beach.  :-\\ Yeah, I agree.

I live about 5 or 6 miles inland myself. Still, I have kept an eye on the TV news for all the updates and stuff.

Written By: MrCleveland on 03/11/11 at 12:20 pm

I think at our church, we had someone in Japan. :-\\

Written By: Paul on 03/11/11 at 1:12 pm

I've just spoken to young Karen...her island's on Tsunami warning, but she and the family are fine... :)

Written By: nally on 03/11/11 at 1:15 pm

I've just spoken to young Karen...her island's on Tsunami warning, but she and the family are fine... :)

that is good to know :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/11/11 at 1:21 pm

Wasn't Amanda planning to go to Japan soon?

Written By: Henk on 03/11/11 at 2:00 pm

That's what I was thinking too.

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/11/11 at 2:52 pm

Great news!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/11/11 at 3:03 pm

That's great. I figured if anyone would know, it would be you.  ;) Thanks for the info. Karma.

I forgot about that. I hope she is ok.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/11/11 at 3:10 pm

Cat
Is she on Facebook?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/11/11 at 3:12 pm

Is she on Facebook?

Don't know because I'm NOT on Facebook.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/11/11 at 6:11 pm

In the past 3 days, there were 160 earthquakes off the coast of Japan and 23 of them were over 6.0.  :o :o :o :o

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Maps/degree10/145_35.php

Cat

Written By: Howard on 03/11/11 at 7:03 pm

My prayers are with the people of Japan.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/11/11 at 7:16 pm

In the past 3 days, there were 160 earthquakes off the coast of Japan and 23 of them were over 6.0.  :o :o :o :o
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Maps/degree10/145_35.php
Cat

wowwww unreal!!

well there has been more than 1000 death with certainty the numbers will go up

theres a whirlpool not long after the earthquake in the epicentre literally sucking boats

and the wave have crashed in the californian coast

many earthquake aftershocks felt including in hawaii earlier

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/11/11 at 8:03 pm

This is as sad as it gets.  :\'(

My prayers are with the good people of Japan.

Written By: nally on 03/11/11 at 11:44 pm

Well, I heard on the news a few hours ago that some parts of the California coast have been affected by this tsunami warning (such as boats being tossed around in harbors, such as that of Santa Cruz), but no widespread damage. It's been downgraded to an "advisory", but precautions must still be taken.

Written By: mooster on 03/12/11 at 2:04 am

That's what I was thinking too.

Thanks heaps guys for thinking of me  :)

I actually got back a couple of days ago - just in the nick of time it seems  :-\\

My thoughts and wishes go out to the lovely Japanese people  :(

Written By: Henk on 03/12/11 at 3:19 am

I actually got back a couple of days ago - just in the nick of time it seems   :-\\

Glad to hear you're ok! :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/12/11 at 9:41 am

Thanks heaps guys for thinking of me  :)

I actually got back a couple of days ago - just in the nick of time it seems   :-\\

My thoughts and wishes go out to the lovely Japanese people  :(

That is good news to hear that you are safe.

But the pictures do look very bad in Japan.

Written By: Doc Brown on 03/12/11 at 11:21 am

CAT, TELL YOUR FRIEND TO PACK UP AND GET OUT!
Overnight, there was an explosion at that nuclear plant in Ikawi. So now a meltdown may be only a matter of time.
How can anyone be so irresponsible as to build a nuclear plant in a country so notorious for being seismically volatile?
"...a foolish man who builds his house upon the sand." Matthew 7:26

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/12/11 at 11:37 am

It's terrifying.  Over 500 known dead.  9500 missing.  Nuke plants on the verge of meltdown.  We have only begun to grip the magnitude of this catastrophe.

My prayers for Japan.

Written By: nally on 03/12/11 at 12:54 pm

I actually got back a couple of days ago - just in the nick of time it seems   :-\\

Glad to hear you're ok Manda ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/12/11 at 1:04 pm

Glad you are back home & out of harms way.

CAT, TELL YOUR FRIEND TO PACK UP AND GET OUT!
Overnight, there was an explosion at that nuclear plant in Ikawi. So now a meltdown may be only a matter of time.
How can anyone be so irresponsible to build a nuclear plant in a country so notorious for being seismically volatile?
"...a foolish man who builds his house upon the sand." Matthew 7:26

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

My friend? I don't know anyone in Japan.

I have been watching this about the nukes. Scary, scary, scary.

Cat

Written By: Doc Brown on 03/12/11 at 1:19 pm

My friend? I don't know anyone in Japan.

I have been watching this about the nukes. Scary, scary, scary.

My mistake, Cat. When you said Karen's island was on Tsunami warning, I assumed she was in Japan.

I hate when people say these disastrous weather phenomena are all "Acts Of God". How can they be sure PEOPLE have no blame? Is it not at least possible that some of these incidents are the results of what some people have done to the environment?  And now, here we are, with thousands(Dear God, I pray not millions!) in danger of suffering another ecologial catastrophe. Think about it.

Your Pal,
Doc

>:(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/12/11 at 1:35 pm

My mistake, Cat. When you said Karen's island was on Tsunami warning, I assumed she was in Japan.

I hate when people say these disastrous weather phenomena are all "Acts Of God". How can they be sure PEOPLE have no blame? Is it not at least possible that some of these incidents are the results of what some people have done to the environment?  And now, here we are, with thousands(Dear God, I pray not millions!) in danger of suffering another ecologial catastrophe. Think about it.

Your Pal,
Doc

I agree with you about weather incidents being related to human interference (i.e. climate change) but in this incident is NOT climate change related. It was an earthquake which led to a tsunami. However, the nuke situation IS human related. Humans not only use something so dangerous, but also put it in a place that is HIGHLY susceptible to earthquakes.

It seems like Japan is not only hit with a One-Two Punch but a One-Two-THREE Punch. And that third punch can have consequences throughout the world-especially in Hawaii & the west coast of the U.S. because the radiation cloud that is coming from that nuke plant will travel right across the pacific.

Cat   

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/12/11 at 1:36 pm

Your Pal,
Doc

I don't think that the earthquake and tsunami exactly qualify as "weather".  Besides, earthquakes and tsunami have been going on ever since the earth was formed, especially within the "Ring of Fire" where Japan resides.

Written By: Dagwood on 03/12/11 at 1:41 pm

It's terrifying.  Over 500 known dead.  9500 missing.  Nuke plants on the verge of meltdown.  We have only begun to grip the magnitude of this catastrophe.

My prayers for Japan.

Shades of Indonesia.  When that first happened, who could have imagined the toll.  I am afraid this will be the same.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/12/11 at 1:56 pm

Shades of Indonesia.  When that first happened, who could have imagined the toll.  I am afraid this will be the same.

I think the biggest difference is that Japan was better prepared that Indonesia was-which is why the initial figures are not as high. It is still TOO many (ONE is TOO many).

My biggest fear has to do with the nuke & radiation. That we may not have an accurate assessment of damage for a decade or two.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 03/12/11 at 2:03 pm

I think the biggest difference is that Japan was better prepared that Indonesia was-which is why the initial figures are not as high. It is still TOO many (ONE is TOO many).

My biggest fear has to do with the nuke & radiation. That we may not have an accurate assessment of damage for a decade or two.

Cat

I agree that one is too many.  I think most of the deaths will come from the reactor if it goes. 

Written By: Milkof1996 on 03/12/11 at 2:42 pm

As far as I know, this is the biggest disaster this decade has ever experienced. My prayers go to Japan. I hope the people will be Ok!

Written By: Doc Brown on 03/12/11 at 5:36 pm

I agree with you about weather incidents being related to human interference (i.e. climate change) but in this incident is NOT climate change related. It was an earthquake which led to a tsunami. However, the nuke situation IS human related. Humans not only use something so dangerous, but also put it in a place that is HIGHLY susceptible to earthquakes.

I'm glad you agree on the weather, but mankind can certainly do risky things to trigger stuff like earthquakes and tsunamis. A bomb test, transportation accident, mining, drilling, or simply building in the wrong place can certainly cause land or sea disasters. Although perhaps not on this big a scale.

The best(or worst) example I could give is the mistreatment of the land in Southern California. It seems no one bothered to check the effects of cutting down trees or the dangers of building in too arid/windy an area. And what to we get? Mudslides in one season, brushfires in another, and people with their houses right in the way.

I hope this makes my point. Somehow, someday, these greedy fools must be held accountable.

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/12/11 at 9:13 pm

I hate when people say these disastrous weather phenomena are all "Acts Of God". How can they be sure PEOPLE have no blame?

How about "false dichotomy"?

If God did it, well, Michaelangelo's painting had Man's finger pointing the wrong way.  Problem is, humans also lack the technology to start M8.9 earthquakes. 

So how 'bout neither?  How 'bout we live on a geologically-active planet.  And sometimes, it's our turn to get the short end of the stick?  I live in an earthquake-prone area.  Every day's a gamble, but if you don't play, you lose.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/12/11 at 9:45 pm

How about "false dichotomy"?

If God did it, well, Michaelangelo's painting had Man's finger pointing the wrong way.  Problem is, humans also lack the technology to start M8.9 earthquakes. 

So how 'bout neither?  How 'bout we live on a geologically-active planet.  And sometimes, it's our turn to get the short end of the stick?  I live in an earthquake-prone area.  Every day's a gamble, but if you don't play, you lose.

So do I.  About every 500 years the Connecticut River Valley gets hit with a monster earthquake.  The last one, according to geologists, was about 500 years ago!
:o

On the other hand, you and Doc just gave me a an ingenious idea: The Mega-Quake Generator.  A trip to my basement, my garage, and the Wal-Mart automotive department will furnish me with all the components I need for the device with which I shall at last bring the world to its knees! Muah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

http://images.wikia.com/southparkfanon/images/2/26/Professorchaos.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/11 at 1:07 am

A second nuclear reactor is experiencing serious problems at Japan's quake-damaged Fukushima plant, a day after it was hit by a major explosion.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/13/11 at 6:45 am

As far as I know, this is the biggest disaster this decade has ever experienced. My prayers go to Japan. I hope the people will be Ok!

nooo haiti was.... dude 1 million refugees and the whole country is still in rubbles....literally

2nd the super big flood covering 1/4 of pakistan creating 20 million refugees

and then japan earthquake and tsunami

and the decade only started... whats next?

Written By: Howard on 03/13/11 at 7:39 am

nooo haiti was.... dude 1 million refugees and the whole country is still in rubbles....literally

I pray that it won't be New York next.  :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/11 at 8:25 am

Tokyo will be starting to ration electricity, especially for transportation.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/13/11 at 9:54 am

Locusts

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 03/13/11 at 10:05 am

Two reactors are definitely in meltdown mode, with at least two others likely to follow suit.

France is now urging all of its citizens to leave Japan immediately, due to earthquake and nuclear uncertainties.

Written By: Howard on 03/13/11 at 12:22 pm

Locusts

Will that happen in New York?  ???

Written By: 80sfan on 03/13/11 at 12:57 pm

I pray that it won't be New York next.  :(

I think it's time for us to move Howard.  8)

Somewhere safer!

Written By: 80sfan on 03/13/11 at 12:59 pm

I think the weather needs a nap. I get cranky when I don't get my sleep.

Written By: Doc Brown on 03/13/11 at 2:09 pm

Two reactors are definitely in meltdown mode, with at least two others likely to follow suit.

France is now urging all of its citizens to leave Japan immediately, due to earthquake and nuclear uncertainties.

Before the radiation starts spreading, I think the U.S. should evacuate all our military bases in Japan, and move as many civilians out with them as possible. Austrailia and the Western U.S. should have enough room to shelter the refugees until it's safe to return.
Once this is over, I guarantee there's gonna be h--- to pay for who owns that nuclear plant, and whoever in the government gave permission to build it.

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/13/11 at 2:54 pm

Before the radiation starts spreading, I think the U.S. should evacuate all our military bases in Japan, and move as many civilians out with them as possible. Austrailia and the Western U.S. should have enough room to shelter the refugees until it's safe to return.
Once this is over, I guarantee there's gonna be h--- to pay for who owns that nuclear plant, and whoever in the government gave permission to build it.

Your Pal,
Doc

Well construction on the plant started 45 years ago, so I would imagine whoever in the Japanese government approved its construction is already on the wrong side of the grass.

All of the units are General Electric designs, although they were built by GE, Toshiba, and Hitachi.

No need to evacuate Japan,  Fukushima is well in the northern part of the country.  Refugees could go to the southern island of Kyushu, or even South Korea or China which are lots closer than Australia or the US of A.

The Fukushima complex is owned by TEPCO, whose corporate logo looks curiously alot like the sillhouette  of Mickey Mouse.  And yes, given what is going on right now with at least three reactors completely trashed, TEPCO is on a trip up Crap Creek without a paddle.

By the way, Fukushima, loosely translated, means "lucky island".  :-X

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/13/11 at 5:06 pm

a volcano blew up earlier in south west of japan spewing ashes

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/13/11 at 6:20 pm

Yikes all they need is Godzilla next...

Written By: 80sfan on 03/13/11 at 6:36 pm

I feel really sorry for the Japanese; earthquake, tsunami, nuclear power plant problems, and now a volcano? Holy crap!

Man, I think God has punished them enough!

Written By: Howard on 03/14/11 at 6:49 am

I think it's time for us to move Howard.  8)

Somewhere safer!

I'm sure a lot of the states have their share of problems.

Written By: MrCleveland on 03/14/11 at 4:33 pm

Don't be surprised that the last two ex-presidents (Bush and Clinton) will do a fund-raiser for Japan.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/14/11 at 7:19 pm

Well construction on the plant started 45 years ago, so I would imagine whoever in the Japanese government approved its construction is already on the wrong side of the grass.

All of the units are General Electric designs, although they were built by GE, Toshiba, and Hitachi.

No need to evacuate Japan,  Fukushima is well in the northern part of the country.  Refugees could go to the southern island of Kyushu, or even South Korea or China which are lots closer than Australia or the US of A.

The Fukushima complex is owned by TEPCO, whose corporate logo looks curiously alot like the sillhouette  of Mickey Mouse.  And yes, given what is going on right now with at least three reactors completely trashed, TEPCO is on a trip up Crap Creek without a paddle.

By the way, Fukushima, loosely translated, means "lucky island".  :-X

Oh yeah, you mentioned you've spent some time in Japan.

The few people I know in Japan live in Tokyo and points south.  They're freaked out and shocked but not ready to bail out of the country.

Written By: silhouette on 03/14/11 at 7:23 pm

I just saw today that many are out of electricity, yet Facebook has helped a lot with contacting people and making things safer. Huh.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/14/11 at 10:39 pm

I feel really sorry for the Japanese; earthquake, tsunami, nuclear power plant problems, and now a volcano? Holy crap!

Man, I think God has punished them enough!

Punishment?  It's not punishment.  It's worse than punishment.  God's bored.

God's been playing SimCity for 2000 years, finally realized He had an exam to study for, and now He's just pressing the "Disaster" button at random until the game ends.

Written By: nally on 03/14/11 at 11:55 pm

yeah, same here. :-\\

And I just heard reports that the original quake has been upgraded to 9.0 (according to a couple sources). And the next nuclear reactor is about to go, with radiation levels on the watch.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/15/11 at 12:02 am

yeah, same here. :-\\

And I just heard reports that the original quake has been upgraded to 9.0 (according to a couple sources). And the next nuclear reactor is about to go, with radiation levels on the watch.

Wow, a 9.0. That's a huge number!  :o

Written By: Howard on 03/15/11 at 6:35 am

Wow, a 9.0. That's a huge number!  :o

Wow That is huge.  :o

Written By: 80sfan on 03/15/11 at 7:42 am

Wow That is huge.  :o

I think the biggest an earthquake can get is a 12.0 but I'm not sure.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/15/11 at 12:55 pm

It depends on the scale.  I don't understand the math behind it all, but the Richter Scale, which had an upper intensity of 9.0 is now obsolete among seismologists.  Seismologists now use the Moment Magnitude Scale (Mw) developed in 1979, though the popular press still refers to the Richter Scale.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_magnitude_scale

The initial Sendai quake on 3/11/11 had a magnitude of 9.0 Mw with aftershocks ranging from 6.5 Mw to 7.1 Mw.  Catastrophic.

With the combination of earthquake and tsunami, the official death toll is 3,373 as of 3/16 and expected to exceed 10,000!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/eek2.gif

Written By: Howard on 03/15/11 at 7:12 pm

I think new York got hit with an Earthquake 30 years ago but I could be wrong.  ???

Check for new replies or respond here...