inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Music of Romania - The next Invasion?

Written By: whistledog on 03/24/11 at 8:17 pm

Of all the places where new talent is coming out of, Romania is the last place you'd think of, but there have been a few songs by Romanian artists that have reached this side of the Atlantic.  Here are all the ones that have appeared in the Hot 100 in the US/Canada in the last year or so.  I wonder if we will see more emerging talent from Romania? ...

Inna - Hot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rh3_r0nbKs

Edward Maya and Vika Jigulina - Stereo Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy2nBvtkgyE

Edward Maya and Mia Martina - Stereo Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_5D4y6x-oo

Alexandra Stan - Mr. Saxobeat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS76eS34Y0c

Both Inna and Edward Maya have several other hits across Europe.  Here's what the UK has received ...

Inna - Hot
Inna featuring Bob Taylor - Deja Vu
Inna - Amazing
Edward Maya and Vika Jigulina - Stereo Love

Subject: Re: Music of Romania - The next Invasion?

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/24/11 at 8:32 pm

Lest we forget the Romanian legend, Zamfir...  8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_JTonpCFxo

Written By: ladybug316 on 03/24/11 at 8:32 pm

I love to hear music from all over the world.  Kudos to Romania.

Now, that being said, I don't like any of these songs at all  ;D

Written By: Creeder on 03/26/11 at 5:28 pm

Romanians suck! They're a just a bunch of nosey people with bone in their brain!
And their music is awful too!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/26/11 at 5:35 pm

...the Cheeky Girls.... ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7AFZXgjrgg

This song reached #2 in 2002 in the UK Charts, they had other hits, but this is their most famous one.

Written By: Howard on 03/26/11 at 7:21 pm

...the Cheeky Girls.... ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7AFZXgjrgg

This song reached #2 in 2002 in the UK Charts, they had other hits, but this is their most famous one.

Wow,What a video!  :o

Written By: ladybug316 on 03/26/11 at 7:42 pm

Romanians suck! They're a just a bunch of nosey people with bone in their brain!

What an awful generalization.  I have given you fudge because you are the one who seems to have a bone in your brain!

Written By: whistledog on 03/26/11 at 7:49 pm

What an awful generalization.  I have given you fudge because you are the one who seems to have a bone in your brain!

His comment proved he has no brain.

What gives you the right to slander all Romanian people like that?  That's a form of racism and we don't tolerate that here

Written By: Henk on 03/27/11 at 12:38 am

So far, Inna has made the Dutch Top 40 six times:
Hot              #2
Déja vu        #7
Love            #12
Amazing      #14
10 Minutes  #18
Sun is up    #18 (to date)

Hmmm...seems to be a trend there...

As for Gheorghe Zamfir... He's probably best remembered for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wv3Ya9nskA

Written By: Henk on 03/27/11 at 12:46 am

And some of you might remember these guys, who scored a hit throughout Europe in 2004 (including The Netherlands, where the song peaked at #1):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRx5PrAlUdY

So okay, they're basically from Moldova. But they moved to Rumania!

Their success lead to this cover version by Rumanian singer Haiducii. Another hit, reaching #8 in The Netherlands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhuTaD-B4qs

Written By: whistledog on 03/27/11 at 11:31 am

So far, Inna has made the Dutch Top 40 six times:
Hot              #2
Déja vu        #7
Love            #12
Amazing      #14
10 Minutes  #18
Sun is up    #18 (to date)

This is good to see.  She is not everyone's cup of tea, but I think she is the best new artist in the last few years. 

Written By: Paul on 03/27/11 at 1:38 pm

As for Gheorghe Zamfir...

Ah yes...the legendary Zamfir...the guy who inspired countless 'pan pipe' albums in later years...

His only British chart outing? This...a hefty slab of pipe noodling which served as the theme for a largely-forgotten 'arty' TV programme back in the day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4UM67d3A94

...which most people slept through...hardly surprising!

Written By: Creeder on 03/27/11 at 4:52 pm

His comment proved he has no brain.

What gives you the right to slander all Romanian people like that?  That's a form of racism and we don't tolerate that here

Haha its cool. Truth is i'm bulgarian and we have bad relationships with romanians and talk like that is normal for us. :)

Written By: 2kidsami on 03/28/11 at 7:04 am

Haha its cool. Truth is i'm bulgarian and we have bad relationships with romanians and talk like that is normal for us. :)
SO it is OK to hate...  I do not believe this is so, and it is this same hate that many times ignites war... :-\\

:\'(

Written By: youngerderek on 03/28/11 at 10:06 am

i had no idea there was a Romanian/Bulgarian rivalry

Written By: DizzMcMinyard on 03/28/11 at 5:57 pm

Sorry but I have to call bull wherever it exists, and this sentance above is bull! It's not racism. Period. You have to be of a different race, and also he made no remarks of the Romanian race!! Only a friendly dislike of the country, its like when I complain about people from Wisconsin on the road, no racism, lol!

Written By: ladybug316 on 03/28/11 at 7:11 pm

At the very least, it's extremely unkind and unneccessary.  He did however say : "Romanians suck and have a bone in their brain" which is a generalization and is racist.  The fact that you defend those remarks gets you fudge from me as well.

Written By: 2kidsami on 03/28/11 at 7:46 pm

Sorry but I have to call bull wherever it exists, and this sentance above is bull! It's not racism. Period. You have to be of a different race, and also he made no remarks of the Romanian race!! Only a friendly dislike of the country, its like when I complain about people from Wisconsin on the road, no racism, lol!
WHAT??? You need to make sense in order to defend an argument.  Perhaps you need a lesson on what racism is, a hatred of one person by another... "It may be defined as the hatred of one person by another -- or the belief that another person is less than human -- because of skin color, language, customs, place of birth or any factor that supposedly reveals the basic nature of that person."  There are people from all over the world on this board, this prejudice cannot be allowed.  You defending this nonsense is terrible, and should be nipped in the bud asap.  I am sorry you are of such a nature, that you feel the need to belittle others!

Written By: whistledog on 03/28/11 at 8:15 pm

Sorry but I have to call bull wherever it exists

Then call it elsewhere cause it doesn't exist here.  I too am giving you fudge, not just because you defended a racist comment, but because you don't know how to properly quote someone. 

Learn how to use a messageboard.  It's not rocket science ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/28/11 at 8:15 pm

Are Romanians an officially recognized race?  I would see this as discrimination on the basis of nationality...   :-\\

Written By: 2kidsami on 03/28/11 at 8:23 pm

Are Romanians an officially recognized race?  I would see this as discrimination on the basis of nationality...   :-\\
hmmm... The United Nations defines racial descrimination as

"the term shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life"

So no racism does not mean need to mean - white, black, asian, hispanic....

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/28/11 at 8:26 pm

hmmm... The United Nations defines racial descrimination as

"the term shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life"

So no racism does not mean need to mean - white, black, asian, hispanic....

Seems that once again the UN has done a giant FAIL.  Race is race, despite how they may want to redefine the term.

Therefore I call these nationalist comments and not racist comments.  Inappropriate for sure, but not racist.

Leave it to the UN to screw up a one-car funeral procession.  ;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 03/28/11 at 8:36 pm

Seems that once again the UN has done a giant FAIL.  Race is race, despite how they may want to redefine the term.

Therefore I call these nationalist comments and not racist comments.  Inappropriate for sure, but not racist.

Leave it to the UN to screw up a one-car funeral procession.   ;D
I don't understand this way of thinking, I believe a spade is a spade...  No reason to call it anything else, just to avoid stepping on peoples toes.  I stick with the U.N. definition on this for sake of ease and convenience.

For even wikipedia sticks with this meaning "Racism is the belief that the genetic factors which constitute race, ethnicity, or nationality are a primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that ethnic differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race"...  I believe the term "racism" has evolved, even though some people have not.

Written By: Tam on 03/28/11 at 9:14 pm

Closed by Moderator as thread went way off topic.

Check for new replies or respond here...