inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hugh Laurie to perform at Cheltenham Jazz Festival

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/11 at 6:25 am

Actor Hugh Laurie is to make his UK musical debut at the Cheltenham Jazz Festival later this year.

The actor, famous for playing the lead role in the US TV series House, will close this year's festival on 2 May at Cheltenham Town Hall.

It will be the first in a short series of shows to promote his first blues album Let Them Talk.

Laurie performed songs from it in New Orleans on Tuesday with former comedy partner Stephen Fry in the audience.

Speaking of his love of the blues, Laurie said "I love this music, as authentically as I know how, and I want you to love it too.

"And if you get a thousandth of the pleasure from it that I've had, we're all ahead of the game."

Executive director of Cheltenham Jazz Festival Ian George said it "promises to be a suitably amazing finale" to the festival.

"Hugh is a huge star both here in the UK and across the world - and welcoming such an internationally respected performer puts Cheltenham firmly on the European cultural map alongside Paris and Berlin," he said.

"I hope our audience are excited as we are."

The album, released on 9 May, also features musicians Allen Toussaint, Sir Tom Jones and Dr John. Other shows are scheduled for London, Paris and Berlin.

The Cheltenham concert will be recorded for broadcast on BBC Radio 2.

Check for new replies or respond here...