inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hip-hop still strong in 2011...

Written By: bchris02 on 03/28/11 at 9:48 pm

With Lil' Wayne, Dr Dre, Eminem, as well as continued hits from Wacka Flocka, TI, Snoop Dogg, Travis Porter, Nikki Minaj, etc, I think 2011 is shaping up to be a much stronger year for hip-hop than 2010 was and what we've seen so far shows the genre still has some life left. 

Subject: Re: Hip-hop still strong in 2011...

Written By: guest on 03/28/11 at 11:11 pm

yes, unfortunately.  >:(

Written By: Emman on 03/29/11 at 12:27 am

Overall(in 2011)it still can't compete with electropop/dance music.

Written By: Shiv on 03/29/11 at 6:32 am

Keep in mind there's still quite a bit of 2000s holdover, music wise.

I still think hip hop will be diminished by 2015, or at least radically different in style, but only time will tell.

Written By: Howard on 03/29/11 at 6:36 am

I don't think Hip Hop will last,a new genre will probably be the latest thing in the next few years. Just like funk and disco died after the 80's,something new popped up.

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/29/11 at 8:32 am

Unfortunately it's more electro than even mid-00s hip hop. :( Even though I have generally hated hip hop, I now actually enjoy '80s (and some '90s) hip-hop when the music did carry a real message rather than being a sellout. Pretty soon the only place I'll go to see music is a concert hall. The ProTools/Antares crap really makes the 808s/synths of the old school era sound good!

Written By: nintieskid999 on 03/29/11 at 9:01 am

With Lil' Wayne, Dr Dre, Eminem, as well as continued hits from Wacka Flocka, TI, Snoop Dogg, Travis Porter, Nikki Minaj, etc, I think 2011 is shaping up to be a much stronger year for hip-hop than 2010 was and what we've seen so far shows the genre still has some life left.  

Top 40 radio doesn't necessarily reflect what most people like right now. Most people I know listen to Internet radio or use Youtube and hate what's on the air. I can wager that most teens/young adults dislike what's on the air and it's been reflected by the decline in music sales. Top 40 radio reflecting society's tastes is a thing of the past. The net came in the nick of time to save us from what's on the radio. We're no longer in an age where they can push whatever they want on us.

Written By: Emman on 03/29/11 at 10:04 am

Keep in mind there's still quite a bit of 2000s holdover, music wise.I still think hip hop will be diminished by 2015, or at least radically different in style, but only time will tell.

I was going to say the same thing, alot of the rap music now is just a 00s holdover that will pass probably by 2013, I think the alternative style(B.o.B, Bruno Mars) will get stronger.

Written By: tv on 03/29/11 at 12:42 pm

Travis Porter? Who is he? Wacka Flame isn't big on Top 40 radio I don't think. Dr. Dre, Eminem, and Snoop Dogg have been around for awhile now. Lil Wayne is the only 00's glam style rapper having big success and TI is having moderate success currently I think.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/29/11 at 2:03 pm

Nope, I disagree. The only 2 rap songs I hear on the radio is 50 cent's 'Down on it' and Wacka Flacka's 'No Hands'.

Written By: gay on 03/29/11 at 2:54 pm

I still think hip hop will be diminished by 2015...

alot of the rap music now... will pass probably by 2013

I think I will take a giant crap by 2014.

no on gives a fck about stupid ass decadeology or predictios about it. topics like these are why the forum is dead,

Written By: Emman on 03/29/11 at 3:18 pm

I think I will take a giant crap by 2014.

no on gives a fck about stupid ass decadeology or predictios about it. topics like these are why the forum is dead,

"Guess" comes in thread and uses vulgar language while making comment, I think you be trollin.

Written By: Creeder on 03/29/11 at 3:56 pm

Top 40 radio doesn't necessarily reflect what most people like right now. Most people I know listen to Internet radio or use Youtube and hate what's on the air. I can wager that most teens/young adults dislike what's on the air and it's been reflected by the decline in music sales. Top 40 radio reflecting society's tastes is a thing of the past. The net came in the nick of time to save us from what's on the radio. We're no longer in an age where they can push whatever they want on us.

If that is true, then the proper way of seeing what's popular is youtube charts and torrent sites.
http://www.youtube.com/charts/videos_views?t=a
Judging by that Justin Bieber and Lady GaGa are the modern king & queen of music, followed by Eminem (00's holdover), Rihanna, Katy Perry and other top 40 artists.

Written By: Cory! on 03/29/11 at 7:10 pm

The only rap songs in the top 20 are Christ Brown Ft. Lil Wayne & Busta Rhymes "Look at Me Now", Jeremih ft. 50 Cent "Down On Me", Pitbull "Hey Baby"...thats just 3 songs. Eminem had one major hit last year besides "Not Afraid" and that was "Just The Way You Lie". Dr. Dre's song "I Need A Doctor" didn't stay on the top 10 for long AT ALL. Waka Flocka, his new song didn't break the top 10, and it didn't even stay at its peak position long at all. Nicki Minaj, she hasn't had a top 10 hit yet. The closest was "Moment 4 Life" and it peaked at 13, yet again another song that didn't stay at that position too long. Snoop Dogg, he hasn't cracked the top 40 in 3 years. Travis Porter, they're just now breaking out pretty much. Haven't had a top 40 hit yet...and also to be honest, I haven't heard ONE rap song on Top 40 radio. The songs are charting high on the urban charts, and thats what stations are playing them.

Written By: Howard on 03/29/11 at 7:30 pm

I have internet radio with websites like Yahoo Radio,Winamp,Accuradio,I get to listen to my jamminoldies all the time now.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/30/11 at 5:19 am

hip hop dont die... they just develop like the have always been :p

Written By: whistledog on 03/30/11 at 7:12 pm

If you're only listening to what's in the Top 40, then you're not getting the whole picture

Written By: nintieskid999 on 03/30/11 at 8:24 pm

I have internet radio with websites like Yahoo Radio,Winamp,Accuradio,I get to listen to my jamminoldies all the time now.

Internet radio is the best. On Yahoo, you can even make your own personalized music page, where you get to evaluate individual songs as they come on.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/30/11 at 9:17 pm

If you're only listening to what's in the Top 40, then you're not getting the whole picture

Agreed.  Hip-hop was so bleak last year even urban radio was struggling to find songs, and many stations became R&B dominated in order to maintain a current and diverse playlist.  This year, urban radio is starting to sound pretty good again with a sound mix of hip-hop and R&B.

Written By: Howard on 03/31/11 at 6:47 am

Internet radio is the best. On Yahoo, you can even make your own personalized music page, where you get to evaluate individual songs as they come on.

That's what I like.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/31/11 at 9:48 am

I like Nikki Minaj's new song 'Moment for life' and there's a new song by a rapper called 'Backseat Driver' that I like.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/04/11 at 2:23 am

yeah the top 40 still makes it seem like EVERYONE loves rap. when really it's declined a lot in the past 5 years.

Written By: Howard on 04/04/11 at 6:41 am

yeah the top 40 still makes it seem like EVERYONE loves rap. when really it's declined a lot in the past 5 years.

It's not as good as it was back in the early to mid 1980's.

Written By: tv on 04/04/11 at 3:41 pm

It's not as good as it was back in the early to mid 1980's.
I like rap made from 1988-mid 2005 then after that it went to absolute crap.

Written By: tv on 04/04/11 at 3:43 pm

Top 40 radio still plays rap like its 2003-mid 2008? Really?

I was flipping through the channels in 2009 I think and saw MTV 2 was playing Rap like it was 2004 I was like they are behind the times!

Written By: youngerderek on 04/04/11 at 5:13 pm

Top 40 radio still plays rap like its 2003-mid 2008? Really?

I was flipping through the channels in 2009 I think and saw MTV 2 was playing Rap like it was 2004 I was like they are behind the times!

well no, pure rap music is not played a lot, and when they do play say, a 50 cent song from 2005, it sounds really out of place among the Taio Cruz and Katy Perry songs. but most hit songs today have at least a rap verse in them.

Written By: Shiv on 04/04/11 at 8:45 pm

The rap to electropop song ratio on the top 40 is about 2:8 nowadays.

Written By: Howard on 04/05/11 at 6:53 am

I like rap made from 1988-mid 2005 then after that it went to absolute crap.

hip hop was better in the mid 80's.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/05/11 at 9:04 pm

hip hop was better in the mid 80's.

like Run DMC and the beastie boys?

Written By: Howard on 04/06/11 at 6:48 am

like Run DMC and the beastie boys?

something like that but a few years earlier.

Check for new replies or respond here...