inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does even Indie suck now?

Written By: youngerderek on 03/30/11 at 8:49 pm

Back in the early 2000s, when mainstream music sucked but indie was still kinda cool, you could sort of defend current music by pointing to indie music. Nowadays though, aside from Ellie Goulding and a few other interesting artists, even indie is dull and doesn't seem to have much to offer, unless you dig REALLY deep perhaps.

Subject: Re: Does even Indie suck now?

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/30/11 at 8:54 pm

Yeah.  EVERYTHING sucks nowadays.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/30/11 at 11:27 pm

As much as I get that a lot of things aren't as good as they were in the past, can we stop making these "something, something sucks...." thread? It's making inthe00s suck  ;D, and we have enough things that suck enough already, why not focus on the positive? We can't focus on pop culture right now, but why don't us generation Y's become more creative and innovative than the current generation that is running the entertainment industry now?

The thing is.... why do most things in popular culture suck right now? I think it's because our society is undergoing huge changes and transformations, some say even a destruction before the rebirth and our pop culture is reflecting that!

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/31/11 at 3:45 am

As much as I get that a lot of things aren't as good as they were in the past, can we stop making these "something, something sucks...." thread? It's making inthe00s suck  ;D, and we have enough things that suck enough already, why not focus on the positive? We can't focus on pop culture right now, but why don't us generation Y's become more creative and innovative than the current generation that is running the entertainment industry now?

The thing is.... why do most things in popular culture suck right now? I think it's because our society is undergoing huge changes and transformations, some say even a destruction before the rebirth and our pop culture is reflecting that!

agreed :)

although early 00s was awesome!!!! anything back then is awesome!!!! yeah nowadays everything sucks...

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/01/11 at 9:14 pm

Yeah.  EVERYTHING sucks nowadays.

http://i.imgur.com/GXUCt.jpg

Yeah!

Written By: Howard on 04/02/11 at 6:34 am

http://i.imgur.com/GXUCt.jpg

Yeah!

;D

Written By: Cory! on 04/02/11 at 8:02 am

THANK YOU. To be honest, the musics been better than it has in A WHILE. I think we should just be happy we're not hearing crap like 'Soulja Boy' anymore :P and Indie music is still good as its ever been. That's all I can say. :P

Written By: Creeder on 04/02/11 at 1:51 pm

I thought indie had always sucked? Just not my thing.

Written By: RG1995 on 04/02/11 at 2:28 pm

I thought indie had always sucked? Just not my thing.
That's an opinion.....

I honestly just think Rock music has gone as far as it can go. Indie isn't some new sound like Punk or Grunge. It's just underground

Written By: sonikuu on 04/02/11 at 3:48 pm

THANK YOU. To be honest, the musics been better than it has in A WHILE. I think we should just be happy we're not hearing crap like 'Soulja Boy' anymore :P and Indie music is still good as its ever been. That's all I can say. :P

I agree with this actually.  I'll take the music of today over the music of, say, 2007.  The only thing that's worse to me is mainstream Rock music that isn't Indie (kind of a contradiction there, but oh well).  Mainstream non-Indie rock music is full of generic, stale Hard Rock that could have come out in 2002 and not been out of place.  No wonder the genre's lost tons of popularity in the early 2010s.  Other than that, I'll take early 2010s music over 2007.  Let's not forget 2007 gave us such "gems" as these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KutcjLkH3-o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UFIYGkROII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82vpIsQ3lX8

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/02/11 at 6:27 pm

I'm glad the glam rap ended and am satisfied with those type of attitudes gone, I'm not about to praise the music industry today. I want more  listenable music.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/02/11 at 6:34 pm

I agree with this actually.  I'll take the music of today over the music of, say, 2007.  The only thing that's worse to me is mainstream Rock music that isn't Indie (kind of a contradiction there, but oh well).  Mainstream non-Indie rock music is full of generic, stale Hard Rock that could have come out in 2002 and not been out of place.  No wonder the genre's lost tons of popularity in the early 2010s.  Other than that, I'll take early 2010s music over 2007.  Let's not forget 2007 gave us such "gems" as these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KutcjLkH3-o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UFIYGkROII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82vpIsQ3lX8

2007 has got to be one of the WORST years for music ever. No doubt about it.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/02/11 at 6:42 pm

2011 is definitely better than 2007. of course, that's not saying much.  ;D

Written By: RG1995 on 04/02/11 at 6:50 pm

'd rather listen to 1978 or 1992 easily.

Written By: Howard on 04/02/11 at 7:20 pm

'd rather listen to 1978 or 1992 easily.

I agree.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/02/11 at 7:20 pm

2011 is definitely better than 2007. of course, that's not saying much.  ;D

You know what wise people say? Once you hit rock bottom you slowly start to climb up! If 2007 is the worse year for music ever and 2011 is better. Does that mean 10 years from now music will actually be good again?

Written By: Howard on 04/02/11 at 7:22 pm

You know what wise people say? Once you hit rock bottom you slowly start to climb up! If 2007 is the worse year for music ever and 2011 is better. Does that mean 10 years from now music will actually be good again?

Will there be music in 2021? what will it sound like? ???

Written By: 80sfan on 04/02/11 at 7:38 pm

Will there be music in 2021? what will it sound like? ???

No clue. But maybe we'll start having flying cars by then.  :(

Written By: Creeder on 04/03/11 at 8:36 am

You people crazy?
2007 gave us smash rock albums by Alter Bridge, Foo Fighters, Linkin Park, Avenged Sevenfold, Bon Jovi, Fall Out Boy, Kid Rock, Velvet Revolver, Matchbox 20, Paramore and so many more.
And there was no electropop around.
But I agree that glam rap deserved to die.

Written By: RG1995 on 04/03/11 at 12:54 pm

You people crazy?
2007 gave us smash rock albums by Alter Bridge, Foo Fighters, Linkin Park, Avenged Sevenfold, Bon Jovi, Fall Out Boy, Kid Rock, Velvet Revolver, Matchbox 20, Paramore and so many more.
And there was no electropop around.
But I agree that glam rap deserved to die.
Wow. Generic bands that we have seen for years and years.

Written By: joeman on 04/03/11 at 6:55 pm

Wow. Generic bands that we have seen for years and years.

No offense, but I'd rather listen to Linkin Park then those pretentious, boring indie bands that cater towards people like Michael Cera and the ilk.

Written By: RG1995 on 04/03/11 at 11:28 pm

No offense, but I'd rather listen to Linkin Park then those pretentious, boring indie bands that cater towards people like Michael Cera and the ilk.
I don't like Indie either? Boring bands from 2011 and generic bands from 1995 suck equally in this day in age. Rock is dead imho

Written By: youngerderek on 04/04/11 at 2:09 am

as far as im concerned, rock as a living, breathing genre died with Grunge.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/04/11 at 2:16 am

The last year rock was 'alive' for me was 1995.

Written By: Creeder on 04/04/11 at 1:09 pm

I don't agree. The late 90s-early 00s were one of the best years for rock - it sold millions of albums, had chart topping songs and young people listened to it. Truth is rock started to fade out in the middle of 00s with 2010 being the worst year for rock since 1955. :(

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/04/11 at 1:25 pm

Looks like rock has definately gone the way of jazz. Sure, it will be around for at least a few decades in a "classical" sense, but truth be told if you asked a 13-year old the question "What is classical music?", Don't be surprised if they say "rock" or "the Beatles" or "Led Zeppelin" there, refusing to acknowledge Beethoven perhaps. Rock has just run out of chords, scales, keys, melodic patterns, and technological patterns unfortunately to be interesting, as any new rock would just be a parody of some earlier style. It's just a style to be taken for granted nowadays, with digital technology of course currently the driving force for new music genres, with the influence of rock getting less and less with each passing year.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/04/11 at 1:33 pm

Looks like rock has definately gone the way of jazz. Sure, it will be around for at least a few decades in a "classical" sense, but truth be told if you asked a 13-year old the question "What is classical music?", Don't be surprised if they say "rock" or "the Beatles" or "Led Zeppelin" there, refusing to acknowledge Beethoven perhaps. Rock has just run out of chords, scales, keys, melodic patterns, and technological patterns unfortunately to be interesting, as any new rock would just be a parody of some earlier style. It's just a style to be taken for granted nowadays, with digital technology of course currently the driving force for new music genres, with the influence of rock getting less and less with each passing year.

My feeling is that people will tire of the autotune trend and others dominating the music scene today. The 2010s will overkill it so much there will be a major backlash, just as there is a major backlash against the rap overload. In the 2020s, people will be begging for something more organic.

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/04/11 at 1:41 pm

Auto-tune will wear itself out eventually, but a new genre, perhaps not rock-influenced, may take its place. Here is proof on how lousy 2010 in Rock turned out to be:

-No new rock album went platinum in 2010
-In fact, no new rock album sold over 750k copies in 2010
-The highest charting rock album came in at #27
-Only 8% of the top selling songs of 2010 were rock songs
-But that’s presuming you call Owl City “rock” and if you don’t, then it’s 7%
-Or OneRepublic for that matter, and if you don’t call them “rock,” it’s 5%.

This is at least for the US. You may think it would be a bit better in the UK, but it was in fact worse, with the number of rock songs in the Top 100 down to 3% from 13% in 2009. Currently, jazz is still a radio format, but its not commercially viable by any stretch of the imagination. If you know anybody who was around in the 1980s, there were still some jazz veterans from the 1950s and early 1960s (the last great era for Jazz, similar to 1980s-early 1990s for rock music) performing to large crowds and high ticket prices for the time. Over the next couple of decades, you'll find the last great rock performers (including dinosaurs such as the Rolling Stones and Zeppelin) either become too old to perform viabilly, die, or no longer actively promote, plus classic rock radio will become too old for a desirable demographic. Let's face it, the 21st century will all be about digitally, electronic-styled music with some hip hop here and there. If you still want this, I'd start going to your local Symphony Orchestra more than your pop concert ampitheatre.

Written By: Howard on 04/04/11 at 1:42 pm

My feeling is that people will tire of the autotune trend and others dominating the music scene today. The 2010s will overkill it so much there will be a major backlash, just as there is a major backlash against the rap overload. In the 2020s, people will be begging for something more organic.

Like what?  ???

Written By: RG1995 on 04/04/11 at 2:03 pm

I don't agree. The late 90s-early 00s were one of the best years for rock - it sold millions of albums, had chart topping songs and young people listened to it. Truth is rock started to fade out in the middle of 00s with 2010 being the worst year for rock since 1955. :(
Rock faded 1995. Rock wasn't even around in 1955

Written By: Shiv on 04/04/11 at 3:16 pm

I disagree. Like it or not, emo/pop-punk/whatever was very successful in the 2000s, and it is just as much a rock subgenre as the others.

It's only been since about 2008/09 that it's been in a noticeable decline.

No, rock will never be the "rebellious" music of choice again. Hiphop has definitely overtaken it in that regard. But I believe it will always be around in some form or another. Believe it or not, there are some people out there (yes, young people included) who prefer the sight and sound of 3,4,5 living breathing human beings playing instruments to a laptop and some MIDIs.

As for indie rock, it is a new sound. It does draw a *little* influence from the 60s and 80s, but it is for the most part pretty current sounding. Keep in mind the early rock stuff was derived from 40s blues, country and jazz. I hope indie rock continues to pick up steam!

Also, I think 2011 will be a better year for rock than 2010. Angles by the Strokes just hit 4 in the billboard 200!

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/04/11 at 3:25 pm

Rock faded 1995. Rock wasn't even around in 1955

Rock was around in 1955, just in a different form than what we're used to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5fsqYctXgM

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/04/11 at 3:25 pm

Like what?  ???

That is what we'll find out in the 2020s....

Written By: tv on 04/04/11 at 3:38 pm

The last year rock was 'alive' for me was 1995.
For me maybe 2002 was the last year rock had the popularity of hip-hop. I think 2003-mid 2005 rock was moderately popular with "The Killers",3 Doors Down and 90's leftovers like Green Day, Audioslave, Foo Fighters, and NIN. After mid 2005 rock just slipped completely out of the eye.

Its strange I say 2002 was the last year of rock being popular as rapper 50 Cent coming out in spring of 2003 and hip-hop blowing up in popularity for the rest of the decade except for the period of spring 2006 to fall of 2006 maybe and the second half of 2008-2009.

Written By: Creeder on 04/04/11 at 3:53 pm

Lets not forget that we're still in a vacuum after post-grunge tragically died in 2009. Nothing took the throne of rock since then.

Written By: RG1995 on 04/04/11 at 4:05 pm

Lets not forget that we're still in a vacuum after post-grunge tragically died in 2009. Nothing took the throne of rock since then.
lol? Tragically dying? It needed to die or we would be stuck with generic music that has been around since 1993/1994.

Written By: Creeder on 04/04/11 at 4:16 pm

lol? Tragically dying? It needed to die or we would be stuck with generic music that has been around since 1993/1994.

Maybe so, but nothing good camed to fill the empty spot. For example after my beloved hair metal died grunge arose and after some years it became listenable (post-grunge). Now there so new sound coming.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/04/11 at 5:11 pm

I disagree. Like it or not, emo/pop-punk/whatever was very successful in the 2000s, and it is just as much a rock subgenre as the others.

It's only been since about 2008/09 that it's been in a noticeable decline.

No, rock will never be the "rebellious" music of choice again. Hiphop has definitely overtaken it in that regard. But I believe it will always be around in some form or another. Believe it or not, there are some people out there (yes, young people included) who prefer the sight and sound of 3,4,5 living breathing human beings playing instruments to a laptop and some MIDIs.

As for indie rock, it is a new sound. It does draw a *little* influence from the 60s and 80s, but it is for the most part pretty current sounding. Keep in mind the early rock stuff was derived from 40s blues, country and jazz. I hope indie rock continues to pick up steam!

Also, I think 2011 will be a better year for rock than 2010. Angles by the Strokes just hit 4 in the billboard 200!

You bring a good point. Though, emo really was invented in the 80s and innovated in the nineties; the popular emo is really just a mix of 'true' emo and pop and skater punk. I can't think of any sub-genre of rock that didn't already exist by 1989.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/04/11 at 11:16 pm

I'm with the dude who said rock died when grunge died.  (OK, maybe when nu-metal died.  But we're splitting hairs here.)  Other than the occasional parodies (Beatallica, Steel Panther/Metal Shop), that was pretty much it for the genre.  If anything, "indie" was the word that got slapped onto stuff that sounded vaguely like rock, but didn't quite fit into any genre.  Sorta like how "alternative" became "mainstream".

Written By: 80sfan on 04/04/11 at 11:19 pm

Are you kidding me? Rock rocketed (no pun intended) to the mainstream in 1955! That was the year rock was longer underground!

Written By: 80sfan on 04/04/11 at 11:21 pm

For me maybe 2002 was the last year rock had the popularity of hip-hop. I think 2003-mid 2005 rock was moderately popular with "The Killers",3 Doors Down and 90's leftovers like Green Day, Audioslave, Foo Fighters, and NIN. After mid 2005 rock just slipped completely out of the eye.

Its strange I say 2002 was the last year of rock being popular as rapper 50 Cent coming out in spring of 2003 and hip-hop blowing up in popularity for the rest of the decade except for the period of spring 2006 to fall of 2006 maybe and the second half of 2008-2009.

Hmmm, actually, I think I agree with you here. I think rock was great until about 2002/2003.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/05/11 at 3:14 am

Hmmm, actually, I think I agree with you here. I think rock was great until about 2002/2003.

I might argue that (for a time), Linkin Park were the last legendary rock band. Until they went emo.  ;D Keane are pretty amazing too, but I wouldn't say they're popular enough to be a legend.

Written By: Howard on 04/05/11 at 6:48 am

Rock was around in 1955, just in a different form than what we're used to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5fsqYctXgM

Those were the good old days.

Check for new replies or respond here...