inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Underage Using... No Joke

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/03/11 at 12:02 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1371919/Teenager-plunges-death-rock-concert-gets-like-footballer-yells-hike-crashing-window.html

So earlier this week a local Picksburgh kid decided to get into a three-point stance, yell "hike", and then proceeded to plunge head first out a glass window, plunging 40 feet to his death.  Earlier at the Furthur concert (various alumni of the Greatful Dead), he was seen running up and down the non-operating escalators.  Guy went to the event with his Dad.  Various observers said that he was "out of it"...

The local news articles have noted that he dropped out of Slippery Rock College back in December, but they do not mention that in that same month he was cited for underage drinking by the local cops, or that he had to leave his prior high school for fighting.  Nope... this is certainly an unexplainable event.

My opinion?  Society is glossing over the fact that this kid had a substance abuse problem and perhaps some other instabilities.  Now that he is dead, it is considered poor form to point this out.  I say it should all be pointed out... Let people see the truth and learn from it...

Kids need to learn what dope and excessive booze (In this particular case he musta done some weird drugs) can do to you, or we'll see this over and over. It is this big joke that Greatful Dead (and now Furthur) concerts are filled with drug abusers.  Let's call a spade a spade... this nonsense just resulted in a kid "joining the fun" and ending up dead...  He bears the responsibility for his behavior, but society does not help things when concert drug abuse is treated like a joke.

Drugs suck, folks... We learn this lesson again...  >:(

Subject: Re: Underage Using... No Joke

Written By: JTCool on 04/03/11 at 12:40 pm

Recently it seems that our culture has begun accepting drug use as if it was legal and not harmful to your health. A lot of teens are using drugs and think drugs should become legal?! Did everyone forget what they were taught in health class or am I the only one who remembers?

Written By: Howard on 04/03/11 at 1:01 pm

It seems a lot of people are using drugs as a way to go. :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/03/11 at 11:45 pm

I think it's spelled "Grateful," dude!
8)

Anyway, I didn't need any Nancy Reagan "Just Say No."  I was coming of using age when Jerry Garcia was coming out of a diabetic coma.  The guy always looked like death run over to me.  I mean, I smoked my share of grass, but I never wanted to be one of those idiotic stoner dudes  who did so much acid they couldn't see straight and played hackey sack listlessly on the quad!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/jinnwink.gif

Written By: youngerderek on 04/04/11 at 2:29 am

40 feet. ouch!

Written By: Shiv on 04/04/11 at 10:24 am

Recently it seems that our culture has begun accepting drug use as if it was legal and not harmful to your health. A lot of teens are using drugs and think drugs should become legal?! Did everyone forget what they were taught in health class or am I the only one who remembers?

Not to turn this into a political thing but there is overwhelming evidence that weed isn't that harmful.

Hard drugs are definitely dangerous and should be kept illegal though.

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/04/11 at 11:39 am

It might also be stated that many people with mental issues self-medicate.  It is also worth noting that many drugs bring to the forefront, an underlying psychosis - a la Syd Barrett.  :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/04/11 at 8:07 pm

Not to turn this into a political thing but there is overwhelming evidence that weed isn't that harmful.

Hard drugs are definitely dangerous and should be kept illegal though.

Smoke inhalation is always carcinogenic, but marijuana is much less toxic than tobacco, especially commercial tobacco cigarettes.  Pot can be demotivating, enhance paranoia, and promote other decompensating behavior; however, it depends on the individual using it.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/04/11 at 11:08 pm

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
  - Albert Einstein.

Alcohol?  Nicotine?  Pshaw.  40-foot drop?  Try 24 floors.  Back in 1996, this 39-year old lawyer earned himself a Darwin Award by doing the same thing under the influence of nothing other than a desire to show off to his younger cow orkers.  

Don't worry about the booze, the nicotine, or even the pot or the crack.  Testosterone and stupidity, there's the real killer cocktail.

Check for new replies or respond here...