inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why is Liz Taylor considered an "icon"?

Written By: kevwa10191 on 04/04/11 at 4:04 pm

I know this may seem insensitive, but I had this conversation with some people at work and they all agreed with me.

I guess I am having trouble seeing why she is considered such an icon?

I know I'm only in my 20's, but all I know of her is she was in a ton of movies way back when (I can't name even one), she had drug issues and was in and out of rehab, and she married a ton of guys.

again I dont mean this to insult her or anyone, but I don't know what makes her such a beloved "icon"

Subject: Re: Why is Liz Taylor considered an "icon"?

Written By: youngerderek on 04/04/11 at 5:12 pm

I guess just the fact she has been famous for so many decades, I agree with you though, that being dead does not make you a legend by default, like so many people seem to think.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/04/11 at 5:49 pm

She was a really good actress, BUT that's a matter of perspective I guess. In my opinion she was really beautiful up until about the mid or late 60s when she started aging.

And a lot of people think she's charismatic, which I agree with.

And I think she was a strong person given that she got over her drug issues.

And finally she was a helpful person who helped out with HIV/AIDs during the 80s and early 90s when it was such a new thing.

If you guys don't like her, that's fine. But there are a lot of people out there who do.

Written By: kevwa10191 on 04/04/11 at 6:06 pm

If you guys don't like her, that's fine. But there are a lot of people out there who do.

I never said I didn't like her.

I just asked what made her so worthy of "icon" status.

The drugs recovery and being pretty are fine, but still.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/04/11 at 7:58 pm

It depends.

How light art thou loafers?
???

Written By: snozberries on 04/05/11 at 3:11 am

Hollywood was a different world in from the 40s - 60s. Hollywood actors were treated like royalty and Elizabeth Taylor was a queen. She was stunning and every man wanted her. Basically she was the Angelina Jolie of Hollywood back then.  I guessvthat makes Richard Burton the Brad Pitt.

Written By: Gis on 04/05/11 at 7:33 am

Hollywood was a different world in from the 40s - 60s. Hollywood actors were treated like royalty and Elizabeth Taylor was a queen. She was stunning and every man wanted her. Basically she was the Angelina Jolie of Hollywood back then.  I guessvthat makes Richard Burton the Brad Pitt.
Definitly the above is true.

She was stunningly beautiful and wore amazing clothes that helps the 'fashion icon' status.

The fact that very few people of your generation realise is she did a monumental amount of charity work, despite battling debilitating illness. Her HIV/AIDS campaigning alone earned her icon status in the 80's.

She was altogether a fascinating and bewitching woman.   

Written By: Creeder on 04/05/11 at 9:38 am

Liv Tyler is too young to be icon.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/05/11 at 9:55 am

;D

Written By: snozberries on 04/05/11 at 11:31 am

Definitly the above is true.

She was stunningly beautiful and wore amazing clothes that helps the 'fashion icon' status.

The fact that very few people of your generation realise is she did a monumental amount of charity work, despite battling debilitating illness. Her HIV/AIDS campaigning alone earned her icon status in the 80's.

She was altogether a fascinating and bewitching woman.   

And what Gis said!

Written By: ninny on 04/05/11 at 11:44 am

I would say back in her day she was the epitome of beauty and class. And as others have mentioned her charity work alone puts her in a class by herself.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/05/11 at 7:43 pm

I would say back in her day she was the epitome of beauty and class. And as others have mentioned her charity work alone puts her in a class by herself.

Well I don't know about class,  She was partying with Eddie Fisher whilst he was still married to Debbie Reynolds, who at the time thought she was Liz' BFF.

Written By: Howard on 04/05/11 at 7:45 pm

She hasn't reached that status yet.

Written By: snozberries on 04/05/11 at 8:19 pm

Well I don't know about class,  She was partying with Eddie Fisher whilst he was still married to Debbie Reynolds, who at the time thought she was Liz' BFF.

Considering most Hollywood marriages back in the say were manufactured by the studios I wonder if Eddie and Debbie married out of love or contractual obligations. Just sayin'

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/05/11 at 8:20 pm

Considering most Hollywood marriages back in the say were manufactured by the studios I wonder if Eddie and Debbie married out of love or contractual obligations. Just sayin'

Well their contract included two young kids at the time...  :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 04/05/11 at 9:53 pm

Well their contract included two young kids at the time...  :-\\

Yeah but in the golden age hollywod did actually dictate relationships and ultimately families. Etc.

Written By: ralfy on 06/24/16 at 6:14 am

"Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?: 5 reasons to love the film for its 50th anniversary"

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/21/whos-afraid-of-virginia-woolf-50th-anniversary

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/16 at 6:22 am

"Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?: 5 reasons to love the film for its 50th anniversary"

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/21/whos-afraid-of-virginia-woolf-50th-anniversary

A great Oscar winning film.

Check for new replies or respond here...