inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Industries on life support

Written By: youngerderek on 04/05/11 at 3:25 am

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/112438/5-industries-on-life-support

Interesting read, but really, it is all stuff everyone already knows (does it really take years of expert work to realize that newspapers and landlines are dying?  ;D  )

Subject: Re: Industries on life support

Written By: gibbo on 04/05/11 at 5:16 am

No it doesn't...but it keeps people gainfully employed!!  ;D  I know I feel better just knowing that a scientist is working (somewhere) to unravel the mysteries of life. It's real important to know how rubber reacts in outer space or the mating ritual of some bug!!  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 04/05/11 at 6:42 am

And old vintage record stores may be dying too.

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kp5g40rclh1qa01kqo1_500.jpg

Just like this one in my area has been here for over 25 years but I don't think It'll last another couple of years cause times are changing.

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/05/11 at 8:31 am

Terrestrial radio. With MP3s, Satellite Radio, traffic/weather/news on mobile devices, I believe regular radio (with sports the possible exception, but even that has some mobile options) has fully been made obsolete by newer media. I tend to actually use regular radio more than other people, but I understand the problem. PC Software is also a dying industry as more and more programs become mobile and web-based. It's definately not the '90s anymore.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/05/11 at 9:17 am

Terrestrial radio. With MP3s, Satellite Radio, traffic/weather/news on mobile devices, I believe regular radio (with sports the possible exception, but even that has some mobile options) has fully been made obsolete by newer media. I tend to actually use regular radio more than other people, but I understand the problem. PC Software is also a dying industry as more and more programs become mobile and web-based. It's definately not the '90s anymore.

The reason radio is dying is because mainstream radio is horrible and lacks variety. That's the real reason people are turning to internet radio.

Written By: Howard on 04/05/11 at 7:49 pm

The reason radio is dying is because mainstream radio is horrible and lacks variety. That's the real reason people are turning to internet radio.

I listen to it all the time.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/05/11 at 9:02 pm

yeah, they blame downloading, but that's only part of it ... do you think Kesha would go 15x platinum without downloads? i dont think so

Written By: Howard on 04/06/11 at 6:58 am

I wonder if supermarkets can survive another 10-15 years since people are buying food and products on-line? ???

Written By: Shiv on 04/06/11 at 6:39 pm

I wonder if supermarkets can survive another 10-15 years since people are buying food and products on-line? ???

Stores will always be around. People don't feel like waiting for stuff to ship, plus it may be tapered with or something.

The traditional music industry is going to crash and burn sometime in the decade.There simply isn't enough variety or quality music anymore, and sales are suffering as a result (along with downloading, but downloading is only part of it

Written By: Howard on 04/07/11 at 6:51 am

Stores will always be around. People don't feel like waiting for stuff to ship, plus it may be tapered with or something.

The traditional music industry is going to crash and burn sometime in the decade.There simply isn't enough variety or quality music anymore, and sales are suffering as a result (along with downloading, but downloading is only part of it

I don't think old vintage vinyl record stores are going to survive another few more years.

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/07/11 at 7:59 am

I don't think old vintage vinyl record stores are going to survive another few more years.

I disagree. These particular stores specialize in "classics", and there are tens of thousands of great albums/songs from the good old days, and there is a collector's market out there, similar to coins/stamps/sports memorabilia. Just look up "vinyl record collecting". Jukeboxes and some turntables are moving into the antiques category, and you'll always need some vinyl markets out there. For instance, some vinyl stores, which moved to cassettes and CD's in the '80s and '90s in the last few years have moved back to vinyl, partly due to the rise in nostalgia and the decline of CD's. But for new music, Walmart, Target, and Best Buy are the last resorts for buying CDs, and even those stores sections have gotten dramatically smaller in the past several years almost to the point of extinction. Maybe we'll see a return to symphony orchestra/opera houses producing the finest new music. But given how much music plays a role in the Bible and what it means to certain events/people, I can't imagine a world without music any time soon.

Written By: Shiv on 04/07/11 at 8:41 am

We have a vinyl record store called Record Theatre that does pretty well. I think another one may have just opened in the city but I'm not sure, I haven't been in the area in a while.

Written By: Howard on 04/07/11 at 7:06 pm

We have a vinyl record store called Record Theatre that does pretty well. I think another one may have just opened in the city but I'm not sure, I haven't been in the area in a while.

My old vinyl record store has been around for well over 25 years,they sell old vinyl,cassette tapes,video tapes and some other stuff.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/07/11 at 9:17 pm

I disagree. These particular stores specialize in "classics", and there are tens of thousands of great albums/songs from the good old days, and there is a collector's market out there, similar to coins/stamps/sports memorabilia. Just look up "vinyl record collecting". Jukeboxes and some turntables are moving into the antiques category, and you'll always need some vinyl markets out there. For instance, some vinyl stores, which moved to cassettes and CD's in the '80s and '90s in the last few years have moved back to vinyl, partly due to the rise in nostalgia and the decline of CD's. But for new music, Walmart, Target, and Best Buy are the last resorts for buying CDs, and even those stores sections have gotten dramatically smaller in the past several years almost to the point of extinction. Maybe we'll see a return to symphony orchestra/opera houses producing the finest new music. But given how much music plays a role in the Bible and what it means to certain events/people, I can't imagine a world without music any time soon.

I think vinyl will long outlast CDs actually.

Written By: Howard on 04/08/11 at 6:44 am

I think vinyl will long outlast CDs actually.

But what do you do about the smell of old vinyl? ???

Written By: Shiv on 04/08/11 at 10:32 am

Put a fragrance oil distiller near it

Written By: Howard on 04/08/11 at 7:39 pm

Put a fragrance oil distiller near it

That could help.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/08/11 at 8:50 pm

Idk, does it have a smell? My nose is not very sensitive.

Written By: Shiv on 04/08/11 at 11:16 pm

It sure does when your cat pisses on it.

My cat pissed on my copy of "The Hair of the Dog" by Nazareth. Wasn't happy.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/09/11 at 12:15 am

It sure does when your cat pisses on it.

My cat pissed on my copy of "The Hair of the Dog" by Nazareth. Wasn't happy.

lol TMI :P

Written By: Howard on 04/09/11 at 6:43 am

It smells of old mothballs. 8-P

Check for new replies or respond here...