inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Overview Of 2010s

Written By: Gary Smithey on 04/07/11 at 3:23 pm

I am very much basing my plan of this decade on events from the nineteen eighties, the closes thing so far to this decade. As far as i foresee it, this is how everything should plan out..

Starting out in 2012 similar to the early Grunge and alternative rock bands of the nineteen eighties we should see the following.

People born between 1994 and 1996 give or take possibly those born in 1993 and 1997 will begin to have a much greater view of the world and as born into the nineteen nineties a time much similar to the nineteen seventies and possess memories of it though mostly of the latter half of that decade will be able to assess their creative juices (pardon the expression). Similar to Kurt Cobain born in the latter half of the nineteen sixties and a child during the seventies before becoming a teenager in the eighties that is the same situation for many born in the nineteen nineties who have enough recognition of the latter half of the decade as well as the 90s influenced stuff of the noughties. Like Kurt Cobain who became 13 years old in 1980 many of these kids were around about ,10,11,12,13 at the first instances of an eighties revival in the middle of the last decade. These children should be filled with a nostalgic view of the nineties and so many who are interested in music might form bands with nineties undertones formed in their unconsciousness by the many songs both in the nineties and the early noughties which saw many 90s like music still managing to creep its way in. This rooted in their minds music their should be a slight outgrowth of musical creativeness.

I explain further.

It is believed by many that music so far in the 2010s is returning to a more fundamentalist pop direction which is extremely similar to that which happened in the eighties. Some of these individuals most likely listen to this stuff which gives rise to new Madonna, Whitney Houston, Cyndi Lauper like figures which we see now in Katy Perry, Lady Gaga and Rihanna. Intertwined with this are the modern day rock bands who are very similar to the glam rock bands of the nineteen eighties maybe not in sound or much in image but are a cultural equivalent.

Bands such as My Chemical Romance, Paramore, Metro Station, Jonas Brothers all ahil themselves as Alternative which has been there since the nineties, in an extremely similar way the seventies in which Kurt Cobain grew up featured bands that sound extremely similar to the bands of the nineteen eighties. Alternative music has become the glam rock of our time the very same angst, the very same issues that have been boring us since the days of Nirvana which sprung it.

The recession caused an effect that has caused unemployment especially among the youth and this has risen to a similar conflict, these kids who are suffering from this face the very same conflict between getting on with things even though it is tough and the more materialist alternative idea which in recent years especially in the case of emo bands being spoilt excessively by parents. These children will not be spoilt, or not anymore at least and will likely form quite negative opinions of the quite bourgeois alternative,indie and emo subcultures and ideals. Faced with a childish view of the nineties being a better time and looking at Nirvana as a band to relate to because of Cobain having had the same issues we should see a view of young people that is adjusted to inclusiveness, so what you don't dye your hair or wear Converse shoes, who cares? That is the feeling and it is about in 2012 or 2013 that will see bands form against these very same alternative bands.

We should see originally stylistically themes in these first bands that resemble a harshness, a realistic harshness and aggressive stage presence aimed quite metaphorically at alternative kids and their rather whiny take on things. The next Kurt Cobain should appear at this time writing in his journals not nihilism found in that of Cobain's but a look at the world which values inclusiveness, the inclusiveness of jocks listening to music, of geeks listening, in other words the bringing back of Rock as a thing for everybody to listen to regardless of what they dress like or any other denominator.

The next Kurt Cobain is not going to be a man who thinks that no one understands him it is likely to be a man of great simpleness, he is not going to be spoilt like the Alternative kid but with a working class sympathy for those not popular that will stand him in good stead. We live in a time of great difficulty in morals, what is right and what is wrong , the next Cobain will mourn the absence of an absolutist view towards them. He will be the spokesman of the New Silent Generation and so in his very quest for the right thing to do many of the New Silent Generation or the Homeland Generation will emphasize with that for they according to Strauss and Howe will possess similar confused morals. The Silent Generation lack any major political stance and so desire simpleness and this next Cobain figure who doesnt care whom listens to his music will like that simpleness, that stubborn belief in something collective.  

Subject: Re: Overview Of 2010s

Written By: Henk on 04/07/11 at 3:29 pm

WTF?!?!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/07/11 at 3:30 pm

WTF?!?!
Exactly  ?

Written By: whistledog on 04/07/11 at 7:57 pm

I pee on the side of the toilet bowl because it makes less noise.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/07/11 at 9:26 pm

;D

Written By: youngerderek on 04/07/11 at 9:45 pm

Quite an interesting topic, but not really well written out.

I think this topic should be about the style of the 2010s, not how it compares to other decades. I have noticed the fashion has changed from the rather dull fashion that dominated the late 90s and most of the 2000s to something far more old school. I see thick-framed glasses coming back into style, flannel is huge again, as are bright colors. tattoos are even more popular now than they were 10 years ago.

the 2010s just seem very colorful and also very gay-influenced. It almost seems like for women today, young women/girls anyway, being bisexual is the norm and thankfully, being gay in general is way less uncool now than it used to be. as is being nerdy, being a geek is cool now (hipsters).

Written By: Milkof1996 on 04/07/11 at 9:46 pm

How? Whenever I try to do that, it always ends up splashing on my leg somehow...

Written By: youngerderek on 04/07/11 at 9:49 pm

How? Whenever I try to do that, it always ends up splashing on my leg somehow...

Please, grow up...

Written By: snozberries on 04/07/11 at 10:10 pm

WTF?!?!

Futuristic decadology.....see this is why guests shouldn't be allowed to start topics ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/08/11 at 1:25 am

This thread needs locking!

Written By: Howard on 04/08/11 at 6:35 am

I crap at home cause I feel more comfortable.

Written By: Howard on 04/08/11 at 6:36 am

I did that and it wound up staining my pj's. ;D

Written By: youngerderek on 04/08/11 at 8:44 pm

This thread needs locking!

Nah, it just needs direction.

We can't really overview the whole '10s yet of course, only the first 15 months.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/08/11 at 11:18 pm

I crap at home cause I feel more comfortable.

I know. Public toilets can be nasty sometimes!  8-P

Written By: 80sfan on 04/08/11 at 11:18 pm

I did that and it wound up staining my pj's. ;D

;D

Written By: Shiv on 04/08/11 at 11:18 pm

Its 2011. The 2010s haven't developed its own identity yet and won't for another couple years. So an overview is kind of out of the question right now..

Written By: 80sfan on 04/08/11 at 11:19 pm

Overview of the 2010s? How about we wait until at least 2017 or 2018! It's WAAAAY too early for an overview.  :P

Written By: youngerderek on 04/09/11 at 12:12 am

Its 2011. The 2010s haven't developed its own identity yet and won't for another couple years. So an overview is kind of out of the question right now..

Actually i think they already have (look at 1981. listen to Dare by The Human League, or countless New Wave albums from that year, and the 80s very much already existed, it just hadn't killed off all the 70s stuff yet!) 2011 is much the same, i very much notice a 2010s vibe that already is developed, but i think for the most part we are still living in the 2000s. it will take until 2012/2013 for the 2010s to really be the main culture.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/09/11 at 12:13 am

Actually i think they already have (look at 1981. listen to Dare by The Human League, or countless New Wave albums from that year, and the 80s very much already existed, it just hadn't killed off all the 70s stuff yet!) 2011 is much the same, i very much notice a 2010s vibe that already is developed, but i think for the most part we are still living in the 2000s. it will take until 2012/2013 for the 2010s to really be the main culture.

Don't forget Grunge in 1991!  ;)

Written By: youngerderek on 04/09/11 at 12:14 am

Don't forget Grunge in 1991!  ;)

the 90s culture was really the underground 80s culture, gone to the surface. Grunge was already around even in 1983, it just wasn't popular anywhere outside of Seattle! :)

Written By: 80sfan on 04/09/11 at 12:18 am

the 90s culture was really the underground 80s culture, gone to the surface. Grunge was already around even in 1983, it just wasn't popular anywhere outside of Seattle! :)

That's some cool info. I didn't know that.

But it didn't really become mainstream until 1991 I guess. It's considered more a 90s thing than an 80s thing.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/09/11 at 12:21 am

That's some cool info. I didn't know that.

But it didn't really become mainstream until 1991 I guess. It's considered more a 90s thing than an 80s thing.

what will likely define the 2010s has been around since 2003 probably too as well. think of the Postal Service, and their album from 2003. back then electropop was NOT cool, now it is everywhere!

Written By: youngerderek on 04/09/11 at 12:22 am

the haircut Justin Bieber sports, while it dates back to about 2005 or so, definitely seems like a 2010s thing as well. kinda the modern day version of the Mullet.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/09/11 at 12:23 am

what will likely define the 2010s has been around since 2003 probably too as well. think of the Postal Service, and their album from 2003. back then electropop was NOT cool, now it is everywhere!

LOL.

Now even rap has electropop.  ;D

Written By: youngerderek on 04/09/11 at 12:24 am

LOL.

Now even rap has electropop.  ;D

I was thinking how the fusion of rap into other genres is likely the beginning of the end for Hip Hop as a genre. like blues, jazz etc, it will continue to display its influence, but i think the age of true Hip Hop is almost to a close.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/09/11 at 12:26 am

I was thinking how the fusion of rap into other genres is likely the beginning of the end for Hip Hop as a genre. like blues, jazz etc, it will continue to display its influence, but i think the age of true Hip Hop is almost to a close.

Do you think rock will ever come back? It's just too popular with so many people to go away completely.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/09/11 at 12:30 am

Do you think rock will ever come back? It's just too popular with so many people to go away completely.

I think rock will always be popular, what i think is over, are the days of new genres of rock. it will be alive in the sense of still being popular, but dead in the sense of there being no more revolutions. just like Jazz and Blues are dead in that sense, but still have millions of fans.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/09/11 at 12:33 am

I think rock will always be popular, what i think is over, are the days of new genres of rock. it will be alive in the sense of still being popular, but dead in the sense of there being no more revolutions. just like Jazz and Blues are dead in that sense, but still have millions of fans.

When was the last new genre of rock? Grunge? Nu-Metal? I guess it's kinda subjective in a way.  :D

Written By: youngerderek on 04/09/11 at 12:34 am

When was the last new genre of rock? Grunge? Nu-Metal? I guess it's kinda subjective in a way.  :D

probably those -core genres of rock. LOL

Written By: Emman on 04/09/11 at 4:19 am

I would say we have a little of both '00s leftovers(mostly in urban music) and what will come to define the '10s. So do the '10s have it's own identity in 2011(which is still really early in the decade), kind of, to a certain degree, but we will only be able to really see in hindsight. I mean you could tell where the '80s pop culture were heading even in 1978 even though some things like fashion from the early '80s was still heavily late '70s influenced.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/09/11 at 5:46 am

I would say we have a little of both '00s leftovers(mostly in urban music) and what will come to define the '10s. So do the '10s have it's own identity in 2011(which is still really early in the decade), kind of, to a certain degree, but we will only be able to really see in hindsight. I mean you could tell where the '80s pop culture were heading even in 1978 even though some things like fashion from the early '80s was still heavily late '70s influenced.

I think fashion-wise it's definitely already '10s, the neon colored flannel, hipster glasses, and star-shaped tattoos are things i did not see until the very very late 00s. musically, we're in between - it still has that club thing with the rap influence the mid to late 00s had but it's definitely more electronic-based. even rock (what's left of it) is more synthy.

Written By: Howard on 04/09/11 at 6:35 am

Overview of the 2010s? How about we wait until at least 2017 or 2018! It's WAAAAY too early for an overview.  :P

Wait a couple of years from now.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 04/09/11 at 7:13 pm

Usually, the end of the previous decade hints at some kind of music that will become big in the next decade. In the late 70's, it was new wave. In the late 80's, it was alternative rock and grunge. As for the late 90's, I'm not sure. Maybe post-grunge, or autotune. I'm also not sure about the late 2000s.

Written By: Howard on 04/09/11 at 7:34 pm

Usually, the end of the previous decade hints at some kind of music that will become big in the next decade. In the late 70's, it was new wave. In the late 80's, it was alternative rock and grunge. As for the late 90's, I'm not sure. Maybe post-grunge, or autotune. I'm also not sure about the late 2000s.

Hardcore Rap? ???

Written By: Emman on 04/09/11 at 9:26 pm

For the late '90s, I think it was southern rap/Puff Daddy, shiny suit, bling styled  and pop-punk which led to the crunk and emo music of the '00s, for the late '00s, it might be some form of electronic/indie music.

Written By: whistledog on 04/09/11 at 11:31 pm

My favourite is Paper.  It's got the edge over rock and scissors because it's least suspectful but can do serious damage when it wants to.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/10/11 at 1:57 am

My favourite is Paper.  It's got the edge over rock and scissors because it's least suspectful but can do serious damage when it wants to.

mmmkay

Written By: snozberries on 04/10/11 at 2:15 am

My favourite is Paper.  It's got the edge over rock and scissors because it's least suspectful but can do serious damage when it wants to.

You forgot about lizard and spock!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iapcKVn7DdY

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/14 at 4:13 am

Where is the evidence?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/14 at 3:44 pm

I can still hear you even with the door closed!

Check for new replies or respond here...