inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dubstep - the sound of the Tens?

Written By: youngerderek on 04/08/11 at 9:17 pm

What do you think? Technically, the genre has roots going back to about 1998, but those are like, the first tracks ever, it didn't really become something anyone had heard about until approximately 2008. and the first dubstep song that got commercial success was probably 'Like a G6' in 2010 and now Britney is going the dubstep route.

Do you think it's possible it could become the landmark sound of this entire decade?

Subject: Re: Dubstep - the sound of the Tens?

Written By: RG1995 on 04/08/11 at 9:21 pm

No. It just sounds to electronic for American to get hooked on it honestly.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/08/11 at 11:16 pm

No. It just sounds to electronic for American to get hooked on it honestly.

It might sound too European for Americans to be into it. No offense to people in Europe.

Written By: Shiv on 04/08/11 at 11:19 pm

I have no idea what dustep is. Whats an example?

Written By: 80sfan on 04/08/11 at 11:21 pm

I have no idea what dustep is. Whats an example?

Well I don't know too much. But listen to Britney's "Hold It Against Me" song and the part where it sounds like a lot of soldiers stepping in at the same time as each other. I guess that's dubstep.  ???

Written By: Emman on 04/09/11 at 4:07 am

Dubstep is a new-ish electronic genre(in the US), I think it will be an important sound of the '10s. What it needs to really crossover in the US is a pop sound instead of the hard, abrasive style it is known for, this is probably starting to happen now, I heard a Jay Sean song and it has a dubstep break in it. It seems electronic music in general will be the sound of the new decade.

Written By: Cory! on 04/09/11 at 7:09 am

Ehhh I don't think its gonna get too big here. Most of the songs sound the same anyways.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/09/11 at 7:34 am

Ehhh I don't think its gonna get too big here. Most of the songs sound the same anyways.
Cannot say that it is big in the UK too.

Written By: sonikuu on 04/09/11 at 9:27 pm

Dubstep is in an interesting place right now.  Look at the Top 40 and it's non-existent except for Britney's "Hold It Against Me."  But come down to my college campus and EVERYONE knows what Dubstep is, even if they don't like.  The same thing actually happened with Emo back in the mid-00s.  For all it's reputation as a defining style of the 00s, it never made up a majority of the mainstream Rock charts and had only a few select Top 40 hits.  Despite that, everyone knew what it was.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/09/11 at 10:17 pm

Dubstep is in an interesting place right now.  Look at the Top 40 and it's non-existent except for Britney's "Hold It Against Me."  But come down to my college campus and EVERYONE knows what Dubstep is, even if they don't like.  The same thing actually happened with Emo back in the mid-00s.  For all it's reputation as a defining style of the 00s, it never made up a majority of the mainstream Rock charts and had only a few select Top 40 hits.  Despite that, everyone knew what it was.

It goes to show that the mainstream music of today is only a small part of the total scene.

Check for new replies or respond here...