inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How relevant is Billboard anymore?

Written By: Sammy Reed on 04/09/11 at 10:50 am

This week, Billboards's #9 supposed "most popular" song is a song called "F-in' Perfect", and #4 is "F- You". Yeah, I'm sure a lot of people really go for these songs.  ::)

It got so bad a few years ago with hip-hop and teeny-bopper songs flooding the "Hot 100" chart that Billboard went and made a separate "Pop Songs" chart, but now I see that "F- You" is #1 on that chart.

Last week, a song by the "Glee" cast debuted in the "Hot 100", at #6.

A few years ago, their "Ringtones" chart had, well, ringtones in it. But now it's filled with complete songs. All the ringtones I hear are little snippets that play over and over again, and hardly any of those are of popular songs.

I just don't think Billboard is relevant anymore. Does anyone else think it's time Billboard finally hangs it up for good?

Subject: Re: How relevant is Billboard anymore?

Written By: 80sfan on 04/09/11 at 4:37 pm

Honestly I don't think music is that bad currently. Sure it isn't like it was in the 90s, but I'd take 2010s music over 00s music anytime!

I still think Billboard should be relevant to answer your question.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/09/11 at 6:26 pm

This week, Billboards's #9 supposed "most popular" song is a song called "F-in' Perfect", and #4 is "F- You". Yeah, I'm sure a lot of people really go for these songs.  ::)

Just because it can't be aired on radio doesn't mean it's no good.  Cee-Lo Green's track was pretty damn good, especially considering the competition.  Now, if you want to argue that Billboard is irrelevant, you'll get no guff from me.  I like that track, but Cee-Lo Green shouldn't be #4 in April 2011 because I just checked, and that song is almost a year old.

If Billboard wants to remain relevant, they'll at least put up something a little more current, like Rebecca Black's Frida*Mmmphhggh!*(And with that, Foo Bar found himself dragged away kicking and screaming for posting a link to the version without autotune.)

Written By: Cory! on 04/10/11 at 2:49 am

Just because it can't be aired on radio doesn't mean it's no good.  Cee-Lo Green's track was pretty damn good, especially considering the competition.  Now, if you want to argue that Billboard is irrelevant, you'll get no guff from me.  I like that track, but Cee-Lo Green shouldn't be #4 in April 2011 because I just checked, and that song is almost a year old.

If Billboard wants to remain relevant, they'll at least put up something a little more current, like Rebecca Black's Frida*Mmmphhggh!*(And with that, Foo Bar found himself dragged away kicking and screaming for posting a link to the version without autotune.)

Speaking of Rebecca Black she's at #66 this week! xD but I have to agree with you for the most part. I don't think they're really accurate. Sometimes they'll have a song MONTHS old still in the top 10, like F- U. People are getting really sick of that song.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/10/11 at 2:53 am

Speaking of Rebecca Black she's at #66 this week! xD but I have to agree with you for the most part. I don't think they're really accurate. Sometimes they'll have a song MONTHS old still in the top 10, like F- U. People are getting really sick of that song.

Sounds like Billboard's getting lazy.  ::)

Written By: youngerderek on 04/10/11 at 3:35 am

The digital charts are relevant somewhat, but remember, nowadays a large percent of people don't even listen to modern music, or to popular music, so it doesn't reflect the majority of the population anymore, just mainstream listeners, who are becoming fewer and fewer in number.

Written By: EthanM on 04/10/11 at 10:03 am

I think the Cee-Lo song got a big boost from Glee, and that and the Pink song are both some of the better songs out lately.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/10/11 at 10:17 am

I think the Cee-Lo song got a big boost from Glee, and that and the Pink song are both some of the better songs out lately.

they're both surprisingly classy for songs with the F-word in them.

Written By: Shiv on 04/10/11 at 12:08 pm

Not as relevant as it used to be. I may be wrong but it seems like women and girls buy/download legally more than men do, so its causing a disproportionate amount of pop and r&b in the charts, which, judging by personal experience, generally seem to be their favorite 2 genres.

Also keep in mind in the old days, affordable, portable recording equipment didn't really exist, so in order to record you had to sign with a big record label. This gave the record labels a lot more power. Now that basically anyone can record and distribute it online, there's a lot more people listening to underground music as opposed to big label music.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/10/11 at 12:11 pm

That Cee-Lo song is an overall good song. But, I am getting sick of it though, Lol.

Check for new replies or respond here...