inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: All My Children & One Life To Live CANCELLED!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/14/11 at 6:36 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110414/ap_on_en_tv/us_tv_daytime_dramas

It looks like General Hospital is the only ABC soap left.

I started watching OLTL way back in the dark ages (early '70s). Never really got into AMC. I got into GH because it came on right after OLTL. I actually stopped watching OLTL & GH after ABC cancelled Port Charles. I'm sure GH will lose a lot of viewers.

Cat

Subject: Re: All My Children & One Life To Live CANCELLED!!

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/14/11 at 6:53 pm

Well at least we still have DOOL.  :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 04/14/11 at 6:56 pm

Will Susan Lucci move to Prime Time dramas?

I can see her on Desparate Housewives.

Written By: snozberries on 04/14/11 at 9:48 pm

Thank god gh survived the cut. I would go I to deep mourning

I've told you this before but I watched oltl and amc in the 80s thru the early 90s

I was going to give up on oltl during the whole eternia fiasco. But I stuck with it less devoted but when Bo was mourning jenny's death one day and then Kevin and Joey were aged 10 yrs the next day and Bo was still mourning like it was fresh couldn't Hang

Amc I watched until Jesse got killed off I came back to watch Bianca come out (great storyline) and again when she was raped (another good storyline) I also came back to see the Jesse and angle reunionAWESOME after they brought Jesse back from the dead.

I don't think abc takes into account how many viewers watch on soap net or online. The numbers are probably higher than they think.  :-\\ 

Written By: snozberries on 04/14/11 at 9:49 pm

God I hope not she's a horrible actress!!!

Written By: whistledog on 04/14/11 at 9:51 pm

God I hope not she's a horrible actress!!!

Exactly.  She'd fit in with the rest of those Housewives.  lol

Written By: Crawford Crow on 04/14/11 at 10:14 pm

I don't think abc takes into account how many viewers watch on soap net or online. The numbers are probably higher than they think.  :-\\ 

Soap Net will be replaced by a preschool channel next year.

Written By: snozberries on 04/14/11 at 10:21 pm

Soap Net will be replaced by a preschool channel next year.

But in the meantime it gets a lot of traffic

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/15/11 at 12:38 pm

Marcia Cross used to be on OLTL as Kate Sanders.

Cat

Written By: lorac61469 on 04/15/11 at 12:43 pm

I haven't watched a soap in years. 

Does Susan Lucci ever age?  ;D  She looks exactly the same now as she did years ago.

Written By: snozberries on 04/15/11 at 1:05 pm

I haven't watched a soap in years. 

Does Susan Lucci ever age?   ;D  She looks exactly the same now as she did years ago.

Botox. And maybe little plastic surgery

Written By: snozberries on 04/15/11 at 1:06 pm

Marcia Cross used to be on OLTL as Kate Sanders.

Cat

But Marcia Cross, like everyone else on DH, can actually act.

Written By: tv on 04/15/11 at 5:38 pm

Botox. And maybe little plastic surgery

Sure but she is italian and some italian women do age gracefully.

Written By: tv on 04/15/11 at 5:43 pm

I used be into AMC in the early-mid 90's because the writing was good. I remember that guy Chuck with the big teeth and Juila(Sydney Penny) and Knowa(Keith Hamilton Cobb.) Then there actresses like Kelly Ripa before "Regis & kelly" and Eva LaRue before she was in CSI Miami.

Written By: tv on 04/15/11 at 5:49 pm

Thank god gh survived the cut. I would go I to deep mourning

I've told you this before but I watched oltl and amc in the 80s thru the early 90s

I was going to give up on oltl during the whole eternia fiasco. But I stuck with it less devoted but when Bo was mourning jenny's death one day and then Kevin and Joey were aged 10 yrs the next day and Bo was still mourning like it was fresh couldn't Hang

Amc I watched until Jesse got killed off I came back to watch Bianca come out (great storyline) and again when she was raped (another good storyline) I also came back to see the Jesse and angle reunionAWESOME after they brought Jesse back from the dead.

I don't think abc takes into account how many viewers watch on soap net or online. The numbers are probably higher than they think.  :-\\  
Yeah that was during the 2001 season I think in the summer time. I did come back to watch soaps during the early 00's like AMC and Days Of Our Lives.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/15/11 at 6:57 pm

Does Susan Lucci ever age?   ;D  She looks exactly the same now as she did years ago.

She is definitely party material...  :P

Written By: snozberries on 04/15/11 at 8:14 pm

Sure but she is italian and some italian women do age gracefully.

She's not one of them... Only because she hasn't let herself age

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 04/16/11 at 7:58 am

I feel bad for all the wonderful actors who are put out of work by this bad decision. Not to mention the legions of writers, producers, directors, sound technicians, wardrobe assistants, set construction crews and camera operators who will now be unemployed. We're talking thousands here. Will there be any need for the Daytime Emmy Awards anymore? Will the Academy be forced to dish out new awards in newly created categories to inferior shows such as "The Chew"?

No more daytime dramas will be filmed in New York City, once the very heart and soul of the industry, which has always been an American institution. The ancient Greeks may have invented the genre and Shakespeare perfected it, but it was American radio and television that pioneered the industry, which quickly spread all around the world.

Sad that while soaps around the globe are booming (in particular Spanish language telenovelas), they are on the verge of extinction in the country that started it all. Some people might say, "They are just soaps. They aren't really important." My response is that people are still in need of continuity in their lives. With the world so terribly fractured and disconnected and in extremely dire straits, this is more important than ever. This is what soaps have always represented. Even if we couldn't be with our families because we have moved away or lost someone, we could still tune into our soaps and feel connected, to our own families, to situations we have been through in our own lives, and to the people who came to be part of our lives, even though they are "fictional characters".

Ultimately, it is just one more thing we are losing, that is simply disappearing from the canvas of our world. We'll lose more things as the year goes on, things far more important, I dare say, but this one really stings because it feels as if we should have some control or say in the matter. We don't, of course, as made abundantly apparrent by the arrogance of Brian Frons. Seems we will all be forced to watch "reality" programming, because the executives are hell bent on not paying actors or writers for their talents anymore. Sad, sad, indeed.

Written By: snozberries on 04/16/11 at 10:14 am

Agreed Triv... particularly feel for all the AMC people who relocated to LA a few months ago...that's gotta be worrisome for them...

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/16/11 at 6:09 pm

A partial list of soaps that I used to watch as a kid that are no more:

Another World
Somerset (spinoff from Another World)
The Doctors
Secret Storm
Search for Tomorrow
As the Stomach World Turns
Edge of Night
Love of Life

Maybe the genre will come back some day...  :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/17/11 at 11:44 am

A partial list of soaps that I used to watch as a kid that are no more:

Another World
Somerset (spinoff from Another World)
The Doctors
Secret Storm
Search for Tomorrow
As the Stomach World Turns
Edge of Night
Love of Life

Maybe the genre will come back some day...  :-\\

For me the entire (all my lifetime) list goes like this:

Daytime

Dark Shadows (that I am now watching on DVD)
One Life To Live
General Hospital
Port Charles

Nighttime
Dallas
Dynasty
The Colbys

I know the list is short compared to others-like my sisters. I think a couple of them watched every soap that is known to man.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/07/11 at 7:04 pm

Follow-up for all those AMC & OLTL fans out there:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_162-20077687-10391698.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cbsnews%2Ffeed+%28CBSNews.com%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo

BTW, I find it interesting that this came from CBS news.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/07/11 at 7:08 pm

Follow-up for all those AMC & OLTL fans out there:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_162-20077687-10391698.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cbsnews%2Ffeed+%28CBSNews.com%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo

BTW, I find it interesting that this came from CBS news.

Cat

Awesome news, Cat.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/08/11 at 12:09 pm

Awesome news, Cat.   :)

You are a fan?

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/08/11 at 1:17 pm

I'm guessing they will not be able to keep the main actors, and the main writing staff so it'll probably be crap - kinda like that last year of passions that aired on the Directv network.   

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/08/11 at 1:19 pm

I'm guessing they will not be able to keep the main actors, and the main writing staff so it'll probably be crap - kinda like that last year of passions that aired on the Directv network.   

They sort of did the same thing with Port Charles when it was cancelled. I know the storylines continued somewhere on-line but I didn't follow it.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/08/11 at 2:05 pm

They sort of did the same thing with Port Charles when it was cancelled. I know the storylines continued somewhere on-line but I didn't follow it.

Cat

I don't think the  vast majority of soap audiences are really the online veiwing type  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/08/11 at 3:24 pm

I don't think the  vast majority of soap audiences are really the online veiwing type   ;)

Actually, with PC it wasn't viewing but reading.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/08/11 at 3:29 pm

Actually, with PC it wasn't viewing but reading.  :-\\

Cat

that's much worse!

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/08/11 at 5:31 pm

You are a fan?

Cat

Not particularly.  But I know that some people are avid followers of the soaps and losing them would be a big deal to them.  So it is awesome that they'll be able to see their soap on the interweb.  8)

I wonder if the shows will be able to hold on to their name-brand actors though...  :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...