inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are the 2010s too feminine?

Written By: Creeder on 04/20/11 at 3:37 pm

When I look at the current mainstream/pop songs I see that 90% are made of female artists.
We have female superstars like Lady GaGa, Ke$ha, Rihanna, Katy Perry, P!nk, Taylor Swift, Adele, Britney Spears, Avril Lavigne, Nicki Minaj, Jessie J and so on.
And the only new male pop singers are Justin Bieber, Bruno Mars (they are kinda feminine too) and some occasional rapper.
The whole music scene nowadays is focused on girs and gays. Why that happened? Where is the new king of pop?
Masculine music needs to come back.

Subject: Re: Are the 2010s too feminine?

Written By: youngerderek on 04/20/11 at 4:44 pm

I don't think they are too feminine, I think they are too bitchy.  ;D

Written By: RG1995 on 04/20/11 at 6:06 pm

It's definitly more Gay-orriented with Glee and pro-gay songs by Ke$ha(bleh) and Pink

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/20/11 at 7:15 pm

It's definitly more Gay-orriented with Glee and pro-gay songs by Ke$ha(bleh) and Pink

Yep.  Gay is the new trend.  If one is not gay they are "squares" and not part of the in crowd.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/20/11 at 7:18 pm

When I look at the current mainstream/pop songs I see that 90% are made of female artists.
We have female superstars like Lady GaGa, Ke$ha, Rihanna, Katy Perry, P!nk, Taylor Swift, Adele, Britney Spears, Avril Lavigne, Nicki Minaj, Jessie J and so on.
And the only new male pop singers are Justin Bieber, Bruno Mars (they are kinda feminine too) and some occasional rapper.
The whole music scene nowadays is focused on girs and gays. Why that happened? Where is the new king of pop?

(+1 karma to Creeder)

Written By: Howard on 04/20/11 at 7:30 pm

Yep.  Gay is the new trend.  If one is not gay they are "squares" and not part of the in crowd.

Glee is gay and so are other shows that are quirky too.

Written By: RG1995 on 04/20/11 at 7:43 pm

Creeder, there are usually always backlashes against what is popular. I imagine the feminin pop culture will get a backlash too.

Written By: Mat1991 on 04/20/11 at 8:02 pm

Men's fashion seems to have also become more feminized lately. That, or more metro.

Written By: Howard on 04/20/11 at 8:11 pm

Men's fashion seems to have also become more feminized lately. That, or more metro.

I've seen it walking down the street.

Written By: nupur on 04/20/11 at 8:21 pm

Justin Bieber, Bruno Mars (they are kinda feminine too)

LOLLL  :D

Written By: 80sfan on 04/20/11 at 8:30 pm

Yes, it is too feminine! I wish we had masculinity back!

Written By: bchris02 on 04/20/11 at 9:24 pm

Top 40 radio these days is pretty much the same stuff that is being played in gay clubs.  5 years ago this wasn't the case.  In a sense, urban (black) music has been replaced with gay music. 

That said, 5 years ago it was acceptable for a straight male to listen to Top 40 radio.  Today, if you admit to liking Top 40 you are considered gay, and understandably so.  I find myself listening to more and more urban, hot AC, and rock radio than Top 40.

Written By: Superfly2008 on 04/20/11 at 9:36 pm

Pink, and Brittney Spears came out in the late 90s. Avril Lavigne came out in the early 00s. Rihanna and Taylor Swift came out in the mid 00s.

Written By: Shiv on 04/20/11 at 10:29 pm

I guess. But whatever, change is good.

As for mens fashion, more feminine styles have definitely become much more acceptable recently. I'm straight and I wear tight clothes, scarves, sweaters, loud colors, etc on a pretty regular basis without any issue, actually usually I get complimented by both guys and girls alike. 5 years ago as a straight guy I would have been ridiculed.

Written By: tv on 04/21/11 at 1:11 pm

Pink, and Brittney Spears came out in the late 90s. Avril Lavigne came out in the early 00s. Rihanna and Taylor Swift came out in the mid 00s.
No Pink debut in 2000 I think not the late 90's.

Written By: Creeder on 04/21/11 at 4:45 pm

Maybe so, but they have adjusted to the new sound and pro-gay culture (Rihanna, Pink and Britney). Avril is not that popular because she makes old unfashionable pop-rock.
Taylor Swift seems really nice to me - she's a typical small town girl and her songs are morally correct which is a good thing.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/21/11 at 5:04 pm

Maybe so, but they have adjusted to the new sound and pro-gay culture (Rihanna, Pink and Britney). Avril is not that popular because she makes old unfashionable pop-rock.
Taylor Swift seems really nice to me - she's a typical small town girl and her songs are morally correct which is a good thing.

Actually, I am kind of in the minority on this, but imo Taylor Swift seems like kind of a bitch. I have a friend that knows her and used to be friends with her but isn't anymore - also along with John Mayer, nobody talks more about their crushes than Taylor (and then she goes and makes stupid immature revenge songs)  ::)

Written By: bchris02 on 04/21/11 at 5:35 pm

Agreed.  Britney Spears, especially her Circus album was HUGE in the gay community.  It was like the next best thing to Lady Gaga before Kesha emerged.  Why has gay culture basically become so mainstream?  Is it all the emo kids coming out of the closet?  Its become so much that I am almost embarrassed to admit to liking Top 40 (I live in the American South where homosexuality is NOT tolerated in any way shape or form). 

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/21/11 at 6:23 pm

Actually, I am kind of in the minority on this, but imo Taylor Swift seems like kind of a bitch. I have a friend that knows her and used to be friends with her but isn't anymore - also along with John Mayer, nobody talks more about their crushes than Taylor (and then she goes and makes stupid immature revenge songs)  ::)

Perhaps... But let me be the first to say that I definitely would party with her...  :P

She could then write all the revenge songs about LB that she'd like.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/21/11 at 6:27 pm

Perhaps... But let me be the first to say that I definitely would party with her...   :P

Question is would she party with you?  ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/21/11 at 9:55 pm

So it took about 25 years, but my old Huey Lewis (Huey was nerdcore before there was nerdcore!) album finally became relevant.

LB5YkmjalDg

I'm actually OK with the trend.  Sure, I enjoyed my share of rock, but back in the day, Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Relax could fill a dancefloor in seconds, and they weren't exactlly paragons of heterosexuality.  You can still fill a dancefloor with the Village People's YMCA.  The only difference between now and then is that back then, everybody pretended not to care about the sexual preferences of a singer.  Today, the audience really doesn't care.

You don't have to be gay to enjoy a roomful of hot chicks  (unless you're also a chick :) dancing to anything catchy, regardless of who the singer, if present, would prefer to be ogling.

Written By: sonikuu on 04/22/11 at 12:24 am

Perhaps it's a reaction to the overly masculine hip-hop that dominated most of the 00s?  After all, that genre was full of "tough guys" and was always more popular than the more feminine emo. 

I will say, however, that most people I know don't associate current pop culture and music trends with gay culture, though they will admit that Lady Gaga has the reputation.  Honestly, people don't really think about it that way.  Though I will say that the type of music that is popular among girls definitely has more chart presence.  One could make the argument that guys are more likely to illegally download or more apt to stick to older forms of music.  I know fair number of guys who love classic rock, but the amount of girls I know that like the genre can be counted on one hand.

Written By: Howard on 04/22/11 at 6:49 am

Perhaps... But let me be the first to say that I definitely would party with her...   :P

How many girls have you partied with?  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/22/11 at 3:01 pm

How many girls have you partied with?  ::)

A gentleman never parties and tells...  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...