inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Old people = cute?

Written By: youngerderek on 04/21/11 at 6:19 pm

Lately I often hear people, mostly teenage girls, refer to old people as 'cute'. This seems pretty insulting to me, I mean, I'm glad they don't hate old people, but it's disrespectful imo to think of them as cute. They are not the same as babies, they have had a lot of experiences, at least compared to most young people.

do you think the reason why some people consider old people "cute" is because of their lack of familiarity with technology? The perception of cuteness is largely related to helplessness, the more helpless something is, the more likely we are to consider it cute. For example a kitten. Being bad with tech is a form of helplessness.

Though I do think it is more than that. Old people are from a time when people were encouraged to be polite and act sugar-coated and in this day and age of sarcasm, that is seen as pretty quaint.

Subject: Re: Old people = cute?

Written By: snozberries on 04/21/11 at 6:30 pm

Your "argument" lacks conjecture. What does one thing have to do with the other.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/21/11 at 6:31 pm

Your "argument" lacks conjecture. What does one thing have to do with the other.

Why post here just to be rude?

Written By: snozberries on 04/21/11 at 6:38 pm

I wasn't posting just to be rude. I don't understand how you made the leap from teen girls think old people are cute to young people "patronize old people" because "they are so unfamiliar with technology"

There's no corrolation between the two it'd be nice to see you acraully say something just once. So tell me how do the two relate.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/21/11 at 6:42 pm

She means that your post just jumped from teenage girls to 'not being able to use technology'. It doesn't make sense if you really read into it.

Written By: snozberries on 04/21/11 at 6:44 pm

She means that your post just jumped from teenage girls to 'not being able to use technology'. It doesn't make sense if you really read into it.

Thank you. It was an odd transition between two (seemingly) mutually exclusive points

Written By: youngerderek on 04/21/11 at 6:45 pm

I wasn't posting just to be rude. I don't understand how you made the leap from teen girls think old people are cute to young people "patronize old people" because "they are so unfamiliar with technology"

There's no corrolation between the two it'd be nice to see you acraully say something just once. So tell me how do the two relate.

Okay, I am sorry. People are just so confrontational on message boards, so eager to start an argument and tear a person down, I have become more on edge. I try to be nice but sometimes people just don't let you be. But I see now you weren't being.

Anyhow, how those 2 points connect - well I was saying, do you think the reason why some people consider old people "cute" is because of their lack of familiarity with technology? The perception of cuteness is largely related to helplessness, the more helpless something is, the more likely we are to consider it cute. For example a kitten. Being bad with tech is a form of helplessness.

Though I do think it is more than that. Old people are from a time when people were encouraged to be polite and act sugar-coated and in this day and age of sarcasm, that is seen as pretty quaint.

Written By: snozberries on 04/21/11 at 7:00 pm

Ice said this to you before dereck the only reason people are being condrontaional with you is because you start  too many topics we are suspicious of your intent. The fact that you continue to start decadeology topics despite us telling you this board has an anti- decadeology policy tells us you don't give a crap about us or the board rules.  Truth is this topic and two others  out of the 50 topics you've started couldve been interesting but many of us no longer have patience for you so we automatically go to the angry place.

It's too bad really had you eases in and avoided posts about predicting  future trends and using past decades to inform future decades have no place here. Stop posting the crap and slow down on topic starring and maybe you'll get a second chance. Maybe.

As for this topic. Where are these teenage girls when they say old people are cute? Are the old people walking in the park or are they trying to use a computer when the comments made.  I can honestly tell you one of the most frustrating things is trying to teach someone old to use a computer. I'd say there's nothing cute about it.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/21/11 at 7:32 pm

Ice said this to you before dereck the only reason people are being condrontaional with you is because you start  too many topics we are suspicious of your intent. The fact that you continue to start decadeology topics despite us telling you this board has an anti- decadeology policy tells us you don't give a crap about us or the board rules.  Truth is this topic and two others  out of the 50 topics you've started couldve been interesting but many of us no longer have patience for you so we automatically go to the angry place.

It's too bad really had you eases in and avoided posts about predicting  future trends and using past decades to inform future decades have no place here. Stop posting the crap and slow down on topic starring and maybe you'll get a second chance. Maybe.

As for this topic. Where are these teenage girls when they say old people are cute? Are the old people walking in the park or are they trying to use a computer when the comments made.  I can honestly tell you one of the most frustrating things is trying to teach someone old to use a computer. I'd say there's nothing cute about it.

I make topics about all kinds of things though. Never do I do what that thread calls 'decadology', i never say things like '2011 is the new 1985' or whatever. what i am interested in, though, is tracking the popularity of trends throughout the years - is that okay, or is that haram here?

as for the volume, i try to spread them throughout the different boards. also i go thru 'sprees', sometimes i post a lot, then ill forget about the place a few days. if you are upset that my threads are too frequent, than make some of your own threads! this board could use a lot more traffic than it has now. :)

Written By: Shiv on 04/21/11 at 8:53 pm

Our society doesn't respect elders like others do. We're too focused on youth. I find it to be a disturbing. Wonderful, kind people who have a lifetime of stories and experiences, prejudiced against just because of their age.

Written By: whistledog on 04/21/11 at 11:32 pm

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_afiB6Dtn3tI/TBM9eoP1MJI/AAAAAAAAAEc/Bk-8vzamIPw/s1600/ugly_man.jpg

Written By: Mat1991 on 04/21/11 at 11:38 pm

I guess a lot of people consider old people to be funny in their mannerisms. I think it's always been that way.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/21/11 at 11:39 pm

Lately I often hear people, mostly teenage girls, refer to old people as 'cute'.

That'd be great if it was true.  Then I could look forward to a second bite at the apple...when I find my dentures!
:D

Written By: youngerderek on 04/21/11 at 11:54 pm

Our society doesn't respect elders like others do. We're too focused on youth. I find it to be a disturbing. Wonderful, kind people who have a lifetime of stories and experiences, prejudiced against just because of their age.

I don't think elders should be respected automatically, but in jist I agree. if something bad happens to a child, moral panic insues; something happens to an old person and people are like "aw that's sad" and forget about it.  :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/22/11 at 1:17 am

What do teenage boys refer old people as?

Written By: karen on 04/22/11 at 2:54 am

as for the volume, i try to spread them throughout the different boards. also i go thru 'sprees', sometimes i post a lot, then ill forget about the place a few days. if you are upset that my threads are too frequent, than make some of your own threads! this board could use a lot more traffic than it has now. :)

As far as I can tell you have posted on the boards at least once a day since you have joined.  You've been here less than a month and have started over 50 topics!  No one wants to go the route that some other messageboards have gone of restricting the number of topics newbies can start but I think you should try and listen to the advice people have being trying to give you.  Slow down a little and take the time to get a good discussion going.  Offer some opinions, provide some evidence to back up your claims and then maybe people will start to pay positive attention to you.

Written By: Howard on 04/22/11 at 6:45 am

That'd be great if it was true.  Then I could look forward to a second bite at the apple...when I find my dentures!

But you're only a young 44. :D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/22/11 at 12:48 pm

Lately I often hear people, mostly teenage girls, refer to old people as 'cute'. This seems pretty insulting to me, I mean, I'm glad they don't hate old people, but it's disrespectful imo to think of them as cute. They are not the same as babies, they have had a lot of experiences, at least compared to most young people.

do you think the reason why some people consider old people "cute" is because of their lack of familiarity with technology? The perception of cuteness is largely related to helplessness, the more helpless something is, the more likely we are to consider it cute. For example a kitten. Being bad with tech is a form of helplessness.

This man is now 80 years old.

http://incumedia.com/DEV/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/get-off-my-lawn.jpg

This man is now 71.

http://www.talknerdytomelover.com/storage/Chuck_Norris_Facts.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1295570227005

If you should ever have the opportunity to meet either of these men in person, just go ahead and call them "cute" and see what happens.  :o :o :o

Written By: snozberries on 04/22/11 at 12:55 pm

I think Sheldon speaks for all of us when he says:

I won't say that all senior citizens who can't master technology should be publicly flogged,
                  but if we made an example of one or two, it might give the others incentive to try harder.
                                                                                                                                                        - The Bus Pants Utilization

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/22/11 at 1:14 pm

This man is now 71.

http://www.talknerdytomelover.com/storage/Chuck_Norris_Facts.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1295570227005

If you should ever have the opportunity to meet either of these men in person, just go ahead and call them "cute" and see what happens.  :o :o :o

Go ahead and make my day!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/22/11 at 1:19 pm

I think Sheldon speaks for all of us when he says:

I won't say that all senior citizens who can't master technology should be publicly flogged,
                   but if we made an example of one or two, it might give the others incentive to try harder.
                                                                                                                                                        - The Bus Pants Utilization

I always thought it was funny how all these old people who are confused by technology are the same people who, when they were younger, weren't afraid to get their hands dirty and didn't take their vehicles to the garage for repairs unless it had a major problem.  

Sure, young people can scoff and snicker at old men who stare blankly at their computer screens, but if you put the average 20-something in a garage with a pre-1970 automobile and a bunch of tools and asked them to change the water pump or set the points or hell, even change the oil for that matter, most of them would have that same blank expression.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/22/11 at 1:40 pm

My father knows more about computers than I do.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/22/11 at 3:03 pm

My father knows more about computers than I do.

Cat

Is/was your father's career technology-related? Or is he just one of those people who is fascinated by new technology and gadgetry?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/22/11 at 3:41 pm

Is/was your father's career technology-related? Or is he just one of those people who is fascinated by new technology and gadgetry?

He was already retired (or semi-retired) from being a consultant engineer (at least that is what his title was-don't ask me what exactly that means) when computers became mainstreamed. My brother is the computer guru who works for IBM so I don't know if my brother taught my dad all that he knows or if it is strictly that my dad has the "computer gene" that exist in my family. I also inherited the "computer gene" but it is not as strong in me as it is in other members of my family.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 04/22/11 at 7:11 pm

This man is now 71.

Don't forget Ah-nold.  ;D

Written By: Derek Younger on 04/22/11 at 11:11 pm

As far as I can tell you have posted on the boards at least once a day since you have joined.  You've been here less than a month and have started over 50 topics!  No one wants to go the route that some other messageboards have gone of restricting the number of topics newbies can start but I think you should try and listen to the advice people have being trying to give you.  Slow down a little and take the time to get a good discussion going.  Offer some opinions, provide some evidence to back up your claims and then maybe people will start to pay positive attention to you.

YOu guys will be thrilled to know, I have marked my account for deletion. Sayonara!

Written By: snozberries on 04/22/11 at 11:41 pm

Funny thing. My dad could set up his quadrophonic stero complete with record player, cassette, 8 track, equalizer amp and receiver all by himself every time we moved  but he still can't figure out how to plug the red white and yellow wires from the DVD player into the corresponding color coded holes on the back of the t.  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 04/22/11 at 11:42 pm

YOu guys will be thrilled to know, I have marked my account for deletion. Sayonara!

My heat bleeds. Oh no it's just pumping blood like it always does.

Written By: snozberries on 04/22/11 at 11:43 pm

He was already retired (or semi-retired) from being a consultant engineer (at least that is what his title was-don't ask me what exactly that means) when computers became mainstreamed. My brother is the computer guru who works for IBM so I don't know if my brother taught my dad all that he knows or if it is strictly that my dad has the "computer gene" that exist in my family. I also inherited the "computer gene" but it is not as strong in me as it is in other members of my family.

Cat

Are you sure you have that computer gene  ;) :D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/23/11 at 12:17 am

He'll be back.

(sigh) They always come back.  :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 04/23/11 at 12:22 am

Not that we wanted you to leave.  We just wanted you to make posts that made sense, and maybe less topics started per day, but your leaving like this proves that your leaving might be the most sensible move yet?

Sorry we didn't get to know ya better, but if what we think we already know, we know you better than you think we do :D

Written By: Howard on 04/23/11 at 6:21 am

Nice to know you,don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Written By: Howard on 04/23/11 at 6:22 am

He'll be back.

under a different nickname.  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/23/11 at 8:16 am

He'll be back.

I don't think he left.  the youngerderek username still shows active.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 04/23/11 at 10:19 am

He'll be back.

I will enjoy the peace while it lasts...

Written By: snozberries on 04/23/11 at 10:20 am

maybe a mod should deactivate the account since his intentions to quite have been stated.... then again it could be a regular board member signing in as a guest with that name which, while being moderately funny, is not cool.

Written By: snozberries on 04/23/11 at 10:21 am

Not that we wanted you to leave.  We just wanted you to make posts that made sense, and maybe less topics started per day, but your leaving like this proves that your leaving might be the most sensible move yet?

Sorry we didn't get to know ya better, but if what we think we already know, we know you better than you think we do :D

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/23/11 at 11:01 am

Are you sure you have that computer gene  ;) :D

Believe it or not, yes. But my gene is not as dominating as it is in my brother, dad, one of my nephews, & one of my nieces. There are a lot of things that I can do with a computer and many things I can't-or don't trust myself to do.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 04/23/11 at 11:04 am

Believe it or not, yes. But my gene is not as dominating as it is in my brother, dad, one of my nephews, & one of my nieces. There are a lot of things that I can do with a computer and many things I can't-or don't trust myself to do.

Cat

just checking...  ;)

Written By: Howard on 04/23/11 at 7:26 pm

OH JESUS!!  ::)

Written By: Howard on 04/23/11 at 7:26 pm

I will enjoy the peace while it lasts...

peace and quiet.

Subject: Re: Old people = cute? George Burns?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/23/11 at 9:47 pm

OH JESUS!!  ::)

You're thinking of OH, GOD!

https://www.hotmoviesale.com/dvds/WAR-D16047D/1/Oh-God.jpg

Written By: RG1995 on 04/23/11 at 11:24 pm

What do teenage boys refer old people as?
Old people. I'm serious  ;)

Subject: Re: Old people = cute? George Burns?

Written By: Howard on 04/24/11 at 6:48 am

He was cute back in the days.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/24/11 at 7:09 am

Very cute and a very cute film.

Written By: Milkof1996 on 04/25/11 at 1:31 pm

Old people. I'm serious  ;)

I refer to them as geezers, especially the ones who can't drive.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/25/11 at 6:58 pm

I have a question for the younger folks here. What age do you consider as OLD?

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 04/25/11 at 7:11 pm

Cat

that was going to be my first question but then I remember how pissed off I got when McFly called me middle aged and decided it was better if I didn't have that information  ;D

Written By: RG1995 on 04/25/11 at 7:25 pm

Cat
Middle Age old - 40
Old Old - 60-65(somewhere in there)

Written By: Dagwood on 04/25/11 at 7:26 pm

that was going to be my first question but then I remember how pissed off I got when McFly called me middle aged and decided it was better if I didn't have that information  ;D

Amen to that.  I work with a bunch of 20-23 yr olds who all think I am old.  Yeah, there are days I want to smack them all. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/25/11 at 7:28 pm

I was just wondering if they were referring to my parents or my husband & me. From the one person who has answered so far, I guess they are talking about my husband & me.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 04/25/11 at 7:39 pm

I was just wondering if they were referring to my parents or my husband & me. From the one person who has answered so far, I guess they are talking about my husband & me.  :-\\

Cat

see...that's why I didn't ask....

40 IS NOT MIDDLE AGED!!!  >:(

Cat you and Carlos can have middle aged if you want cuz I don't want it and I don't think you guys are old!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/25/11 at 7:52 pm

Middle Age old - 40
Old Old - 60-65(somewhere in there)

Me and snozberries are gonna kick your ass.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/25/11 at 8:04 pm

Add me in there, I am itchin to do some ass kicking.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/25/11 at 8:20 pm

RG's gonna get a beatdown.  :o :o :o

Written By: snozberries on 04/25/11 at 8:34 pm

Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 24 hours.

O0

Written By: snozberries on 04/25/11 at 8:34 pm

;D

Written By: Milkof1996 on 04/25/11 at 9:37 pm

Cool! So since Age 40 is the start of Middle Age, that means Half of your life is over during that period, so you 40s and up only have 40 years to live(If you live up to the American Average life expectancy, which is around 80 years). So yup, enjoy life as much as you can :P. Hurray for being young! Oh, and I consider people 65 and up to be senior citizens and everyone 90 and up is a fossil because they remember WWII.

(I hope you guys don't murder me for making this post :D)

Written By: snozberries on 04/25/11 at 9:38 pm

Cool! So since Age 40 is the start of Middle Age, that means Half of your life is over during that period, so you 40s and up only have 40 years to live(If you live up to the American Average life expectancy, which is around 80 years). So yup, enjoy life as much as you can :P. Hurray for being young! Oh, and I consider people 65 and up to be senior citizens and everyone 90 and up is a fossil because they remember WWII.

(I hope you guys don't murder me for making this post :D)

I hope you save this post some where so that you can revisit when you're 40 then we won't have to kill you you'll hate yourself enough...

Written By: Milkof1996 on 04/25/11 at 9:52 pm

I hope you save this post some where so that you can revisit when you're 40 then we won't have to kill you you'll hate yourself enough...

Well, If I do save the post somewhere, chances are that I'm gonna either lose it, or just forget about, because by the time I turn 40, it will be 2036.

Written By: snozberries on 04/25/11 at 10:15 pm

Print it. Put it in an envelope labeled read when I'm 40 and tape it to your bedroom door. Take it with you where ever you move and when you turn 40- after you've finished doing whatever it is people do to celebrate birthdays in 2036 go home pour yourself a drink and open the envelope and read.  Then track me down and tell me how much you hate yourself.  :P

Written By: Howard on 04/26/11 at 6:46 am

I refer to them as geezers, especially the ones who can't drive.

geezers is too passe.

Written By: Howard on 04/26/11 at 6:47 am

Cat

I'm gonna grow old gracefully slow cause I have a babyface.

Written By: Howard on 04/26/11 at 6:49 am

Well, If I do save the post somewhere, chances are that I'm gonna either lose it, or just forget about, because by the time I turn 40, it will be 2036.

and I'll be 62.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/26/11 at 7:16 am

I turned 40 last November and it's nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. Matter-of-fact, it actually seems like it's a pretty good age to be.

Written By: snozberries on 04/26/11 at 11:30 am

I turned 40 last November and it's nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. Matter-of-fact, it actually seems like it's a pretty good age to be.

Agreed. I just find the term middle aged highly offensive.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/11 at 11:51 am

I am just happy too be still alive and breathing!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/26/11 at 12:25 pm

Agreed. I just find the term middle aged highly offensive.
Hell, I still FEEL young. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/26/11 at 12:27 pm

So do I.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 04/26/11 at 2:21 pm

whaddya mean FEEL..... I AM YOUNG!!!! Just mature... .thats all...  the only way I'd go back to my teens and 20s is if I could go back with the knowledge and attitude I have now... otherwise forget it!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/26/11 at 2:46 pm

whaddya mean FEEL..... I AM YOUNG!!!! Just mature... .thats all...  the only way I'd go back to my teens and 20s is if I could go back with the knowledge and attitude I have now... otherwise forget it!

Honestly? I don't miss being a dopey teenager at all. Seems like the best years of my life are right now.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/26/11 at 3:37 pm

I hear ya. When I was a kid, one thing I wanted more than anything is to be older. I hated being a teen and when I was in my 20s and I was finally able to make decisions for myself, I made a whole bunch of wrong ones. It wasn't until my 30s that life got better and it even got much better in my 40s.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 04/26/11 at 5:27 pm

I hear ya. When I was a kid, one thing I wanted more than anything is to be older. I hated being a teen and when I was in my 20s and I was finally able to make decisions for myself, I made a whole bunch of wrong ones. It wasn't until my 30s that life got better and it even got much better in my 40s.

Cat

Amen.  By your 40's you have finally figured it out...well for the most part.  I actually love being 40.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/26/11 at 5:31 pm

Amen.  By your 40's you have finally figured it out...well for the most part.  I actually love being 40.

My 40th year was the BEST!!!! That was when I married my best friend.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Howard on 04/26/11 at 7:12 pm

I just turned 37 last month and I feel as young as a teenager,top of my sexual peak.

Written By: Howard on 04/26/11 at 7:13 pm

I am just happy too be still alive and breathing!

Me Too.

Written By: Howard on 04/26/11 at 7:15 pm

Cat

I never thought I'd make it to my 30's and everything that I accomplished I did and I'm moving forward to better stuff. :)

Written By: karen on 04/27/11 at 5:50 pm

I just turned 37 last month and I feel as young as a teenager,top of my sexual peak.

You mean it's all down hill for you from here?

Written By: Dagwood on 04/27/11 at 6:02 pm

;D

Written By: Howard on 04/27/11 at 7:03 pm

You mean it's all down hill for you from here?

No,I'm ready to sow my oats.

Written By: Howard on 04/27/11 at 7:04 pm

;D

I knew that would get a kick out of you.  ::)

Written By: Louise1978 on 05/01/11 at 12:24 am

I think it's insulting to refer to old people as being cute.I work in the aged care industry and elderly people in many ways are just like the rest of us,except they grew up during a different era and have different values.Many of them need help now doing the simple things that the rest of us take for granted,but they are still grown people not small children or animals.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/11 at 2:26 am

How old is old for people to be called cute?

Written By: joeman on 05/04/11 at 1:39 am

How old is old for people to be called cute?

Dunno, Betty White is pretty cute.

Written By: Howard on 05/04/11 at 6:44 am

http://images.starpulse.com/pictures/2008/10/07/previews/Charo-PRN-027686.jpg

Charo at 60 is still cute,she can still shake that coochie coochie.  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/04/11 at 11:13 am

There is a 72 year old woman who looks not only d@mn good for someone her age but looks d@mn good for ANY age. I hope that I look half a good as she does when I am her age. Who am I talking about?

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/17840/slide_17840_247312_large.jpg?1304525520875

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/04/11 at 7:20 pm

There is a 72 year old woman who looks not only d@mn good for someone her age but looks d@mn good for ANY age. I hope that I look half a good as she does when I am her age. Who am I talking about?

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/17840/slide_17840_247312_large.jpg?1304525520875

Cat

She looks good for her age.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/05/11 at 10:30 am

She looks good for her age.  :)

Like I said, she looks D@MN good for ANY age!

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/05/11 at 12:24 pm

http://images.starpulse.com/pictures/2009/02/21/previews/Joan%20Collins-ALO-058406.jpg

Joan Collins at 78,WOW!  :o

Check for new replies or respond here...