inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Top 40 Relevant to Today?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/22/11 at 6:38 am

I don't think top 40 is even relevant. People are so turned off to what's on the FM radio they use internet radio or download Mp3s instead.

Subject: Re: Is Top 40 Relevant to Today?

Written By: Creeder on 04/22/11 at 9:21 am

Well I don't listen to actual radio no more (only in the car).
But I think radio is still relevant to whats popular. All the electropop divas get huge amont of playtime.

Written By: Shiv on 04/22/11 at 11:10 am

No. Men illegally download more than women do, hence the disproportionate amount of "feminine" music in the top 40.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/22/11 at 12:26 pm

It's hard for me to imagine teens or preteens listening to the Top 40 like they did in the 70s and 80s. Maybe because it seems so out of style?

I vote yes that it's relevant, but to be honest it's not what it used to be, it's not as important as it used to be.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/22/11 at 2:49 pm

No. Men illegally download more than women do, hence the disproportionate amount of "feminine" music in the top 40.

In other words, you're assuming all females like top 40  ::)

Top 40 is only based on the amount of airplay, not based on whether or not the listeners actually like the song. Clear Channel owns the majority of radio stations and doesn't play variety. You see certain albums selling because those albums are the ones advertised most via the Clear Channel stations.

Written By: Shiv on 04/22/11 at 8:03 pm

In other words, you're assuming all females like top 40  ::)

Top 40 is only based on the amount of airplay, not based on whether or not the listeners actually like the song. Clear Channel owns the majority of radio stations and doesn't play variety. You see certain albums selling because those albums are the ones advertised most via the Clear Channel stations.

Not all females like top 40 (my girlfriend hates it), but most top 40 listeners are female. Just judging by experience. I don't know any guys who listen to top 40.

Written By: Cory! on 04/24/11 at 3:47 am

I think it is...I mean like you guys mentioned all the top 40 is, is just the top songs based on airplay and popularity. All my friends listen to the radio, and we sing along to whatever comes on, so that takes care of the 'nobody listens to the radio anymore' stuff, because its way untrue. EVERYBODY I know listens to the radio, and to be honest, I don't know a single person, at least in my age range, that listens to internet radio. :P ahaha and I mean if top 40 wasn't relevant, Ke$ha, Lady Gaga, Britney, etc. would be nowhere. Why do you think they're so popular? A lot of radio airplay.

Written By: Dave on 04/25/11 at 11:11 pm

Well, I think that we are moving in the same direction as we were 20 years ago:

1991 Hair Metal
2011 rap/r&b

1991 Alternative
2011 Indie Rock

1991 Punk
2011 Deathcore/Thrash Metal (I know thrash existed in 1990, it's just an example of what the next generation of agresive music is)

Written By: *taylor on 04/26/11 at 5:58 am

I think the main difference is the age of the people listening to top 40, it seems like it's more preteens and young teenagers who are listening to that type of music, when the music that was in the charts before seemed at least a bit more directed at older teens and young adults.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/26/11 at 7:43 am

I think the main difference is the age of the people listening to top 40, it seems like it's more preteens and young teenagers who are listening to that type of music, when the music that was in the charts before seemed at least a bit more directed at older teens and young adults.

Top 40 today essentially sounds like Radio Disney did 3 years ago.  Since 2008, we have seen Top 40 become very feminine and juvenile. 

Written By: Creeder on 04/26/11 at 9:53 am

Just compare early 2009 top 50 with today:
early 2009 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXGekgWkMMQ
19 rock songs, many hip-hop & r&b and just a few electropop sounding songs and GaGa's reign has just begun with "Just Dance"

today - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YP9hLqOE1c
2 rock songs (Avril & Pink) some hip-hop and country songs and the rest is full of electropop :o

Written By: Louise1978 on 05/01/11 at 12:31 am

I rarely listen to the top 40 radio stations anymore.I download the songs I like and I listen to internet radio stations in the genres that I like.

Written By: Howard on 05/01/11 at 6:43 am

Top 40 was more relevant in the 60's,70's and 80's.

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/11 at 9:21 pm

For me, the Top 40 was not relevant in the 80s.  Here in Canada, alot of the songs I remember from the 80s were not even Top 40 hits

Written By: tv on 05/02/11 at 2:44 pm

Top 40 was more relevant in the 60's,70's and 80's.
Well the 90's to mid 00's too it was pretty revelant too.

I barely have listened to radio since towards the end of September of 2007.

Written By: tv on 05/02/11 at 2:52 pm

The thing is I don't get why people download songs that are popular on Top 40 radio when you can hear the same songs on Top 40 radio every day.

Check for new replies or respond here...