inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: That's Gay

Written By: Kitkat1991 on 04/23/11 at 3:08 pm

I'm so sick and tired of hearing people say "that's gay". When did this become cool? >:(

Subject: Re: That's Gay

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/23/11 at 3:24 pm

I'm so sick and tired of hearing people say "that's gay". When did this become cool? >:(

They were saying that at least 32 years ago...  'Twas a common phrase in college...

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/23/11 at 3:50 pm

When did calling homosexuality "gay" become cool? ???

I'm pretty sure that's not what Fred Flintstone or Barney Rubble were doing in the Flintstones theme song about "They'll have a gay old time"...  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 04/23/11 at 3:59 pm

I think that starting in the 60s or 70s was when 'gay' switched from being 'happy' to 'homosexual'. So I guess it's been 'cool', although I disagree that it's cool, for 40-50 years.

Written By: Kitkat1991 on 04/23/11 at 4:55 pm

They were saying that at least 32 years ago...  'Twas a common phrase in college...

I'm not talking about people saying it to have a good time, i'm talking about when people replaced it with "that's stupid" or "that's so dumb".

Written By: Howard on 04/23/11 at 7:21 pm

I'm pretty sure that's not what Fred Flintstone or Barney Rubble were doing in the Flintstones theme song about "They'll have a gay old time"...   ;D

But they weren't gay.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/23/11 at 9:42 pm

I'm pretty sure that's not what Fred Flintstone or Barney Rubble were doing in the Flintstones theme song about "They'll have a gay old time"...   ;D

Barney Rubble or Barney Frank?
???

Written By: Mat1991 on 04/24/11 at 4:21 am

I'm not talking about people saying it to have a good time, i'm talking about when people replaced it with "that's stupid" or "that's so dumb".

I think we should start a trend wherein anything that is considered to be stupid or dumb is called "straight." Instead of saying "that's so gay," we'd instead be saying "that's so straight."  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/24/11 at 5:14 am

I have never heard that expression for that meaning over here.

Written By: Howard on 04/24/11 at 6:46 am

Barney Rubble or Barney Frank?
???

Barney Rubble.

Written By: Howard on 04/24/11 at 6:46 am

I think we should start a trend wherein anything that is considered to be stupid or dumb is called "straight." Instead of saying "that's so gay," we'd instead be saying "that's so straight."  :D

It wouldn't sound good.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/24/11 at 12:23 pm

Personally, I think it is a homophobic term.  I am not saying that the people who use the term are homophobic but by using it, they do perpetuate homophobia because when you hear the word "gay" you automatically think homosexual-even though there are other meanings to the word (like happy).  I remember a couple years back we had a discussion about the term (spelled ghey as not to disguise the fact that it is homophobic). No matter what kind of spelling-one can't help thinking when the term is used, that being gay is stupid. It has the same connotation as the term "How white of you."

Cat

Written By: Mat1991 on 04/24/11 at 12:26 pm

It wouldn't sound good.

It sounds good to me.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 04/24/11 at 12:41 pm

It sounds good to me.  ;)

It's almost like saying "That's so lesbian".

Written By: snozberries on 04/24/11 at 12:45 pm

Personally, I think it is a homophobic term.  I am not saying that the people who use the term are homophobic but by using it, they do perpetuate homophobia because when you hear the word "gay" you automatically think homosexual-even though there are other meanings to the word (like happy).  I remember a couple years back we had a discussion about the term (spelled ghey as not to disguise the fact that it is homophobic). No matter what kind of spelling-one can't help thinking when the term is used, that being gay is stupid. It has the same connotation as the term "How white of you."

Cat

yeah that spelling thing is a total cover up like ending the n word with an "a" or an "er" actually changes the meaning of it...  ::) 

I have never liked using the term That's gay  or That's retard  because the connotation is that you are equating the person with something percieved to be substandard and I hate that.

Written By: snozberries on 04/24/11 at 12:45 pm

I think you're missing Mat's point Howard...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/24/11 at 1:55 pm

yeah that spelling thing is a total cover up like ending the n word with an "a" or an "er" actually changes the meaning of it...  ::) 

I have never liked using the term That's gay  or That's retard  because the connotation is that you are equating the person with something percieved to be substandard and I hate that.

Exactly.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 04/24/11 at 2:05 pm

"Retarded" is one of my big pet peeves.  I work with grown ups who talk that way and I want to scream.  I tell them to knock it off but it continues.  Not much offends me but that one does.

Written By: karen on 04/24/11 at 2:30 pm

I have never heard that expression for that meaning over here.

Then you are lucky.  It's been common as an expression for at least ten years

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/24/11 at 2:32 pm

Then you are lucky.  It's been common as an expression for at least ten years
Shall I say that it is not used in my circle of friends etc.

Written By: karen on 04/24/11 at 2:51 pm

Shall I say that it is not used in my circle of friends etc.

I guess working at a university and being involved with scouts means I was more likely to hear any current slang.  Of course now I have my children to teach me!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/24/11 at 2:54 pm

I guess working at a university and being involved with scouts means I was more likely to hear any current slang.  Of course now I have my children to teach me!
I have not heard on tv either.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/24/11 at 5:09 pm

Actually I always wondered whey they say things like "Gay and Lesbian Awareness Day".  I mean, lesbians are already gay, correct?

Why don't they have a special term for gay men? ???
Why do they have to say "gay and lesbian"?  ???  That's redundant.

Written By: nally on 04/24/11 at 5:20 pm

Actually I always wondered whey they say things like "Gay and Lesbian Awareness Day".  I mean, lesbians are already gay, correct?

I've often wondered about that too.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/24/11 at 6:12 pm

"Retarded" is one of my big pet peeves.  I work with grown ups who talk that way and I want to scream.  I tell them to knock it off but it continues.  Not much offends me but that one does.

Spread the word to end the (R) word...

http://www.r-word.org/Default.aspx

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/24/11 at 6:18 pm

I always hated that term, too. Even when it was used about my step-brother. Yes, I had a step-brother at one time-and he was intellectually disabled. Even in those days when it was the proper term to use, I hated using it. I would say that he was a 40 year old man with a mind of a 10 year old.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 04/24/11 at 6:21 pm

Spread the word to end the (R) word...

http://www.r-word.org/Default.aspx

Thanks...I will.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/25/11 at 12:12 am

It's queer to call people gay!
:D

Written By: Howard on 04/25/11 at 6:47 am

I don't like using the word "retarded",It doesn't sound right,It's like you're saying to the person,you're an invalid.

Written By: Howard on 04/25/11 at 6:48 am

homosexual? ???

Written By: snozberries on 04/25/11 at 8:33 am

I don't like using the word "retarded",It doesn't sound right,It's like you're saying to the person,you're an invalid.

It's more like saying they are invalid than an invalid  ;)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/25/11 at 8:26 pm

So, does this mean that we're no longer allowed to laugh at this?  ???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuG1vyQ1mUQ

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/25/11 at 10:48 pm

Because it shouldn't matter when we're talking about civil rights or social policy, but when I'm figuring out what pr0n to downloadthe rest of the time, we need a way to distinguish between the zomg that's hawt or uh, no thanks, Senator forms of homosexuality.  Are we talkin' bi-winning, or bi-NTTAWWT?

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/26/11 at 6:06 am

So, does this mean that we're no longer allowed to laugh at this?   ???

Any time a Coldplay tune comes on the radio I remember that movie scene.  Then I change stations...  ;D

Written By: *taylor on 04/26/11 at 6:14 am

It's dying out though, I'm 14 and I almost never hear anyone my age saying it, only people at least 2-3 years older than me, and I rarely hear it at all anymore. A few years ago it was definitely more popular. Also, I hear more stuff against "that's so gay" than actual homophobics, and that really upsets me because I feel like people care more about little things that don't really matter than the big picture.

Written By: Howard on 04/26/11 at 6:40 am

This clip is gay. ;D

Written By: Mat1991 on 04/26/11 at 7:17 am

It's dying out though, I'm 14 and I almost never hear anyone my age saying it, only people at least 2-3 years older than me, and I rarely hear it at all anymore. A few years ago it was definitely more popular. Also, I hear more stuff against "that's so gay" than actual homophobics, and that really upsets me because I feel like people care more about little things that don't really matter than the big picture.

It could have something to do with the area in which you live. Vancouver is a very gay-friendly area, correct? I live in the southern portion of the United States - where the words "gay" and "friendly" do not mix - and I hear it a lot. I would imagine, though, that if I lived in places like San Francisco then I wouldn't hear it as often. From what I understand, Canada in general is a much more gay-friendly place than the United States.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/26/11 at 6:12 pm

Any time a Coldplay tune comes on the radio I remember that movie scene.  Then I change stations...   ;D

Are you also reminded of that scene whenever a car passes you with this on the back?

http://www.supportourribbons.com/custom-magnet-image/1464-custom-ribbon-magnet-sticker-I+like+it+when+balls+are+in+my+face..png

Written By: Howard on 04/26/11 at 7:08 pm

Are you also reminded of that scene whenever a car passes you with this on the back?

http://www.supportourribbons.com/custom-magnet-image/1464-custom-ribbon-magnet-sticker-I+like+it+when+balls+are+in+my+face..png

That's gay.  :P :D

Written By: *taylor on 04/27/11 at 12:41 am

It could have something to do with the area in which you live. Vancouver is a very gay-friendly area, correct? I live in the southern portion of the United States - where the words "gay" and "friendly" do not mix - and I hear it a lot. I would imagine, though, that if I lived in places like San Francisco then I wouldn't hear it as often. From what I understand, Canada in general is a much more gay-friendly place than the United States.

Actually, now that I think about it, you're right. I guess I wouldn't know, Vancouver is a VERY gay-friendly area.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/27/11 at 6:48 pm

Or this...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkkXHjQSyEI

Written By: Howard on 04/27/11 at 7:02 pm

http://thesensus.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/mp-gay-called-580x725.jpg

THIS is GAY!!  :D^

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/28/11 at 9:06 pm

Or this...?

THIS is GAY!!  :D^

Hmm.  Nazis.  Gay.  *clickity clickity*

http://blogs.taz.de/hitlerblog/files/2010/05/5339_b520_500-424x561.jpg

Yup, Rule 34 still intact.

But that's not even the first thing I thought of.  Somewhere out there on the Interwebs is a full-color sketch of hitler kissing a clone of himself, against a bright magenta background.  It was so WTF that I didn't even remember to bookmark it.  But now that I've planted the seed in your mind, you're going to go look for it, aren't you?  And as you search, you're going to see things, horrible things, abominable things that reduce to gibbering madness all but the strongest of those who encounter them I'll spare you from that Lovecraftian fate by taking one for the team, finding the damn image, and merely suggesting that you (not) click here.  

Pic is SFW, NSFSanity.  But if you ever need a way to REALLY tell a Nazi to "go (verb, transitive) himself", well, now you've got an image macro for it.

Now that we've got that out of the way, can anyone figure out the bit about him having only one testicle, and use it for a parody of Lady Gaga's "Born This Way"?

Written By: Howard on 04/29/11 at 6:40 am

If Hitler was born gay would he have still ruled Germany?

Check for new replies or respond here...