inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Smoking extinct by 2020?

Written By: bchris02 on 04/25/11 at 10:46 pm

10 years ago, in the year 2000, smoking was still glamorized.  Though people knew the health risks, you could still smoke in restaurants, bars, outside any building, and teens still thought smoking made them look "cool".  Today, if you smoke, you are looked on as the bane of society, the filthiest of the filthy.  Smoking is banned in all bars and restaurants and will soon be banned outside any public building, in parks, in cars, and in some cases even in private homes.  If somebody lights up a cigarette in public, nobody would have thought anything of it in 2000.  In 2011, they get stares and filthy, angry looks.  Its not going to be long before cigarettes are de-facto illegal i.e. you can still buy them but there isn't anywhere you can legally smoke them unless you want to drive 100 miles into the middle of nowhere far away from everyone and everything.  In the 1980s, over 50% of Americans smoked.  Today its 20%, I think at the rate its going and the extreme social stigma surrounding smoking, it will be pretty much extinct by 2020.  Young people aren't going to pick up a habit that will turn them into a pariah.  Even today, the only place smoking is really prevalent is among minorities.  Thoughts?

Subject: Re: Smoking extinct by 2020?

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/26/11 at 12:05 am

Smoking will never be "extinct".  Maybe the popularity will wane a bit, but that's it!  They've jacked up the price to $15.00 a pack here and people still buy them. 

Written By: Howard on 04/26/11 at 6:42 am

I think people will smoke no matter what.

Written By: Shiv on 04/26/11 at 10:23 am

Yeah right. theres still a bunch of douchebags out there who start smoking because they think it looks "badass"  :P

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/26/11 at 12:19 pm

Yeah right. theres still a bunch of douchebags out there who start smoking because they think it looks "badass"  :P

Never make the mistake of assuming that whether or not a person uses tobacco is a sole determining factor of whether or not they are a good person. I smoked for 19 years (quit 3 years ago, although I still enjoy a good cigar every now and then) and I have plenty of friends who still smoke (including my girlfriend), and I certainly wouldn't classify any of them as being "douchebags."

Written By: 80sfan on 04/26/11 at 12:25 pm

Never make the mistake of assuming that whether or not a person uses tobacco is a sole determining factor of whether or not they are a good person. I smoked for 19 years (quit 3 years ago, although I still enjoy a good cigar every now and then) and I have plenty of friends who still smoke (including my girlfriend), and I certainly wouldn't classify any of them as being "douchebags."

I think it's a social thing. If you hang out with people who smoke, the more likely you are to smoke yourself. I agree with you that it doesn't always have to do with being a 'douchebag' or trying to look 'cool'.

Oh, and congratulations on quitting smoking!

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/26/11 at 12:58 pm

Maybe, but Smokers will be shunned more.

I don't smoke, but I support my smoker!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/26/11 at 4:04 pm

To smoke is an addiction. I should know. I quit 3 and half years ago. Carlos quit smoking cigarettes the same time but he still smokes a pipe & cigars once in a while. After all this time, I STILL miss it. There have been many times when I just want ONE cig. I know that one will lead to 2, which will lead to 3, etc. etc. A couple months ago, I was having a bad day and ended up smoking one of Carlos' Puerto Rican cigars (which wasn't bad  ;) ).

When I first started smoking (way back in the dark ages), a pack was only 40 cents. I remember when they went up to 60 cents and I was horrified. Then they reached over a dollar, then 2, etc. etc. But I still smoked because I was addicted.

I also remember being able to smoke just about everywhere. The first college I ever went to had ashtrays in the hallways outside of classrooms. I even fired up in class one time. (Hey, the teacher did it so I felt if he could, I could.) You could smoke on planes, buses, theatres, etc. I remember serving on jury duty and even though I didn't smoke in the courtroom, I did smoke in the deliberating room. I even remember smoking in hospitals. That was the norm. Then, smoking got to be more and more a social faux pas. Of course by this time I was addicted. I did feel shunned because I smoked. That is not the reason why I quit. The reason why I quit was for health reasons-or so I didn't have health issues because of my smoking. In other words, I did it for ME and no one else.

I don't begrudge people because they smoke. My sister-in-law & my youngest step-daughter smokes. Whenever I am around them when they fire up, I love the smell (as odd as that may sound) and wish that I could join them. I also know that it is super hard to break the addiction. I don't think I have-which is why I still want one.

As for smoking being obsolete, that will only happen if no one gets addicted to it in the first place, and somehow I don't that will happen. Tobacco will be around forever. How it is used will be a different story. Right now in my state, there is a bill to raise the prices on cigs to discourage people from buying them. People who are addicted will still buy them. That may discourage people from trying it-which is a good thing. I really wish people would treat smoking for what it is-AN ADDICTION!!!! If they want people to quit, they should offer free help.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 04/26/11 at 7:17 pm

and then they fling it on the ground when they're done.  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/27/11 at 7:05 pm

When I first started smoking (way back in the dark ages), a pack was only 40 cents. I remember when they went up to 60 cents and I was horrified. Then they reached over a dollar, then 2, etc. etc. But I still smoked because I was addicted.

This is true.  Here in Massachusetts, some brands run over $9 for one pack.  Average seems to be about six to seven bucks from what I see when I glance at the prices at the store. 

I never started so I never had to quit.  I don't miss second hand smoke.  On the other hand, I don't think there should be a prohibitive war against smoking.  They're trying to ban smoking on the entirety of the UMass campus.  I just think that goes a little too far.  Maybe it's because I'm from the previous generation from today's college students.  Heck, when I was in high school in the '80s we had a smoking area in the courtyard! 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/bandit.gif

Written By: Howard on 04/27/11 at 7:10 pm

They should stop smoking altogether.  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/27/11 at 8:26 pm

People will be smoking blunts in 2220

;D

Written By: whistledog on 04/27/11 at 8:27 pm

A good trick to get people to stop smpoking is have all cigarettes smell like poop

Written By: Howard on 04/28/11 at 6:54 am

People will be smoking blunts in 2220

;D

more like electronic cigarettes.

Written By: Howard on 04/28/11 at 6:55 am

A good trick to get people to stop smpoking is have all cigarettes smell like poop

smoke poop?  :o :P

Written By: Howard on 04/28/11 at 6:59 am

http://www.stopsmokingsteps.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/quit-smoking_.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/28/11 at 11:11 am

This is true.  Here in Massachusetts, some brands run over $9 for one pack.  Average seems to be about six to seven bucks from what I see when I glance at the prices at the store. 

I never started so I never had to quit.  I don't miss second hand smoke.  On the other hand, I don't think there should be a prohibitive war against smoking.  They're trying to ban smoking on the entirety of the UMass campus.  I just think that goes a little too far.  Maybe it's because I'm from the previous generation from today's college students.  Heck, when I was in high school in the '80s we had a smoking area in the courtyard! 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/bandit.gif

In my high school, we had a senior lounge that allowed smoking. I would walk by it and smell all the smoke and was so jealous because I wasn't a senior and had to go outside (or the girls' bathroom  ;) ). 

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/28/11 at 11:43 am

I remember back in the 1980's, you could walk into a video arcade and see 13, 14 year-old kids smoking and it was no big deal.

Written By: Howard on 04/28/11 at 12:44 pm

I remember back in the 1980's, you could walk into a video arcade and see 13, 14 year-old kids smoking and it was no big deal.

not many do it anymore.

Written By: Howard on 04/28/11 at 12:45 pm

If no one smoked at all,the world would smell better and fresher.

Written By: karen on 04/28/11 at 1:22 pm

At work I am in the minority as a non-smoker.

Written By: Tam on 04/28/11 at 8:43 pm

Hi.
My name is Tam and I am a smoking Douchebag.

Seriously, consider your words and your audience before you spew your ignorance.

K, Thanks.

Written By: Ghost of Jessmass Past on 04/28/11 at 9:38 pm

Hi.

Seriously, consider your words and your audience before you spew your ignorance.

K, Thanks.

You're a total badass, right? :D

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/28/11 at 9:47 pm

Here's badass...

http://cdn.gossiboocrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/snoop-dogg-smoking.jpg

Written By: Tam on 04/28/11 at 9:49 pm

You're a total badass, right? :D

Mahaha!
And I rock shyt every where I go!!!
;D ;)

Written By: Howard on 04/29/11 at 6:37 am

Hi.

K, Thanks.

Have you ever tried to quit smoking?  ???

Written By: Howard on 04/29/11 at 6:37 am

Here's badass...

http://cdn.gossiboocrew.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/snoop-dogg-smoking.jpg

He smoked half his life.

Written By: Vicky on 04/29/11 at 8:56 pm

My nephew started smoking several years ago when he was 16.  He thought it looked cool, and he liked the "badass" look, he always had his hat sideways and always had a cigarette.  He liked that "badass" look but he was a VERY nice teenager.
He got addicted very quick.  He played hockey and he always got out of breath due to his smoking.  He tried to quit but he realized it was hard.  He's 22 now and is still smoking a pack a day and is trying very hard to quit.
Its good to see less teen smoking, over the past few years most teens think of smoking as un-cool now. 

Written By: Howard on 04/30/11 at 6:46 am

Maybe people could start by chewing gum instead by 2020.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/30/11 at 7:57 am

I had such an effed up and stressful day at work yesterday that I came dangerously close to bumming a smoke from a co-worker, but I also knew that I'd be making a huge mistake if I started smoking again so I fought off the urge.

But that's the most tempted I've been to fall off the wagon in years. :(

Written By: Louise1978 on 04/30/11 at 8:12 am

I don't think smoking will ever be extinct.Although there are less places for people to smoke than there used to be,people will still smoke anyway.People have their homes where they can smoke.Some people are so addicted that they will smoke no matter what strong opposition there is against their habit.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/30/11 at 10:40 am

I had such an effed up and stressful day at work yesterday that I came dangerously close to bumming a smoke from a co-worker, but I also knew that I'd be making a huge mistake if I started smoking again so I fought off the urge.

But that's the most tempted I've been to fall off the wagon in years. :(

I TOTALLY understand. I had a day like that back in Feb. (when I smoked one of Carlos' cigars-but didn't inhale  :D ;D ;D). People don't realize that even after you quit, sometimes it is so hard to stay quit (if that is the right term  :-\\ ). I know I am going to have cravings for the rest of my life. I know it will be very easy for me to fall off the wagon. And we people like Howard here who thinks it is SOOOO easy to quit when we know it is not.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/30/11 at 9:05 pm

I TOTALLY understand. I had a day like that back in Feb. (when I smoked one of Carlos' cigars-but didn't inhale  :D ;D ;D). People don't realize that even after you quit, sometimes it is so hard to stay quit (if that is the right term  :-\\ ). I know I am going to have cravings for the rest of my life. I know it will be very easy for me to fall off the wagon. And we people like Howard here who thinks it is SOOOO easy to quit when we know it is not.

Cat

"Quitting smoking is easy.  I've done it hundreds of times."

-- Mark Twain

Written By: Howard on 05/01/11 at 6:50 am

Then what will people do after 2020?  ???

Written By: bchris02 on 05/04/11 at 11:30 pm

Cat

Its amazing how the people who have never been smokers always say how easy it is to quit.  Never-smokers don't realize smokers crave nicotine like they do food.  Its not like giving up any habit. Quitting in reality is just the start of the battle (I am on day 8 right now).  The hard part is never taking another puff again, because if an ex-smoker takes one puff, their brain re-awakens their addiction and it will be as if they had never quit.  That is the law of addiction and is the same reason alcoholics cannot even take one sip. 

Written By: Howard on 05/05/11 at 5:55 am

most of the co-workers over at my Pathmark are smokers.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/05/11 at 10:36 am

Its amazing how the people who have never been smokers always say how easy it is to quit.  Never-smokers don't realize smokers crave nicotine like they do food.  Its not like giving up any habit. Quitting in reality is just the start of the battle (I am on day 8 right now).  The hard part is never taking another puff again, because if an ex-smoker takes one puff, their brain re-awakens their addiction and it will be as if they had never quit.  That is the law of addiction and is the same reason alcoholics cannot even take one sip. 

Congrats on 8 days. You made it through Hell Week. You can join the conversation here:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=35570.0

And if you really need help, I found that www.quitnet.com really helped, too. I still go there once in a while. BTW, today is my 43rd month anniversary.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/05/11 at 12:21 pm

Congrats on 8 days. You made it through Hell Week. You can join the conversation here:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=35570.0

And if you really need help, I found that www.quitnet.com really helped, too. I still go there once in a while. BTW, today is my 43rd month anniversary.

Cat

Congrats Cat.  :)

Written By: Jessica on 05/05/11 at 5:21 pm

Sorry, non-smoker here, and I know how hard it is to quit.  I watched my mom battle it.  She did well at first, but lost the battle and went back to smoking.  I did blame her at first and felt that she could have stopped at any time.  Now after acknowledging and trying to deal with my own addiction (food), I know better.

To this day, she still maintains that she doesn't smoke, but we know otherwise.  I think she thinks that we would be disappointed with her, but I'm not (I can't speak for the rest of my family, so maybe that's why she hides it).

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/06/11 at 5:28 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8RAQla6tv8&feature=fvwrel

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/11/11 at 3:19 am

How goes the non-smoking so far?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/11/11 at 6:51 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8RAQla6tv8&feature=fvwrel

Karma +1

See how Camels agree with your throat!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCMzjJjuxQI

Written By: Howard on 05/11/11 at 7:23 pm

Why would you wanna smoke a camel? ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/11/11 at 7:32 pm

Why would you wanna smoke a camel? ;D

Because it gives the meat more flavor-you know, like when you smoke a ham.

Cat

Written By: bchris02 on 05/12/11 at 4:19 pm

How goes the non-smoking so far?

Now on Day 16.  I came close to having one today after I was cursed out at work, but was able to resist.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/12/11 at 6:57 pm

Now on Day 16.  I came close to having one today after I was cursed out at work, but was able to resist.

Karma for that. As I always say, if I can quit, ANYONE can. I really enjoyed smoking (and I still love the smell). It is really hard and even after all this time, it still is hard. But, you can do it.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/13/11 at 6:36 am

Good For you Chris.  :)

Written By: April on 05/20/11 at 12:14 am

My nephew started smoking several years ago when he was 16.  He thought it looked cool, and he liked the "badass" look, he always had his hat sideways and always had a cigarette.  He liked that "badass" look but he was a VERY nice teenager.
He got addicted very quick.  He played hockey and he always got out of breath due to his smoking.   He tried to quit but he realized it was hard.  He's 22 now and is still smoking a pack a day and is trying very hard to quit.
Its good to see less teen smoking, over the past few years most teens think of smoking as un-cool now. 

Its good to see less kids smoking now.  At the store that I work at I work with a lot of teens.  There are a lot of 19-23 year olds that smoke and they all said they started around 16.  I was talking to one 20 year old kid today and he said he and his girlfriend smoke over a pack a day each.  The younger kids who are around 16-18 don't smoke at all.

Written By: Kirsti on 05/20/11 at 7:58 am

Both of my parents used to smoke. My dad quit because of his health, however my mom has not been able to quit. She's addicted to cigarettes and diet soda. :( She gives us courtesy by smoking only in their bathroom which has a window or outside, so the house doesn't ever really smell like cigarettes. I really hate the smell, it gives me a headache. I have respect for others, that of course includes smokers, but I do not like being around it. I don't think people should give long-time smokers (before they knew how bad it really was) grief. They should make it very unappealing for people to START smoking. Honestly, there is way too much information out there, not only from various public announcements, but even peer to peer about the health hazards, cosmetic side effects, and costs of smoking. Most kids these days who start smoking are either very naive or just plain ignorant. If they want to put unnecessary stress on themselves then so be it. That goes for many other habits as well that I'm glad I do not fall victim of. People are freaking out about a certain candidate's proposal of free substance-usage... taking your own responsibility for whatever you put into your body. That means heroin (along with all other substances) would technically be legal. I dunno about you but just because heroin might possibly be legal again someday doesn't mean I'm just gonna go and try it. People who want to try those kinds of drugs will find a means to do it regardless of what the law says. If it were legal the availability wouldn't be in a monopoly and therefore less crime... however people under the influence of these drugs might inflict harm upon innocent people (as well as themselves in the long run). Works both ways... I don't mean to go on a political tangent and derail the thread, though... :)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_32hrlI11ixI/TSTrQXGFobI/AAAAAAAAAfc/q7Yg7H22N1Q/s1600/funny-pictures-monorail-cat-derails-after-a-sharp-turn.jpg

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/20/11 at 9:02 am

I find it odd how there's been this great societal push (particularly in California) over the last 10-15 years to demonize tobacco and outlaw its use in public while at the same time there's also been a big societal push to legalize marijuana.

It seems kind of hypocritical to me. :P 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/20/11 at 11:21 am

I find it odd how there's been this great societal push (particularly in California) over the last 10-15 years to demonize tobacco and outlaw its use in public while at the same time there's also been a big societal push to legalize marijuana.

It seems kind of hypocritical to me. :P 

I don't think it is hypocritical. Yes, you smoke both substances but they are far different. Tobacco is highly addictive and destructive.  How many deaths can be blamed on tobacco use? Too many. Marijuana is NOT addictive and there are multiple medicinal uses-glaucoma, AIDS, relief from chemo side effects, menstruation cramps, etc. etc. And how many deaths can be attributed to marijuana? ZERO!!!! 

Cat 

Written By: Howard on 05/20/11 at 7:34 pm

Both of my parents used to smoke. My dad quit because of his health, however my mom has not been able to quit. She's addicted to cigarettes and diet soda. :( She gives us courtesy by smoking only in their bathroom which has a window or outside, so the house doesn't ever really smell like cigarettes. I really hate the smell, it gives me a headache. I have respect for others, that of course includes smokers, but I do not like being around it. I don't think people should give long-time smokers (before they knew how bad it really was) grief. They should make it very unappealing for people to START smoking. Honestly, there is way too much information out there, not only from various public announcements, but even peer to peer about the health hazards, cosmetic side effects, and costs of smoking. Most kids these days who start smoking are either very naive or just plain ignorant. If they want to put unnecessary stress on themselves then so be it. That goes for many other habits as well that I'm glad I do not fall victim of. People are freaking out about a certain candidate's proposal of free substance-usage... taking your own responsibility for whatever you put into your body. That means heroin (along with all other substances) would technically be legal. I dunno about you but just because heroin might possibly be legal again someday doesn't mean I'm just gonna go and try it. People who want to try those kinds of drugs will find a means to do it regardless of what the law says. If it were legal the availability wouldn't be in a monopoly and therefore less crime... however people under the influence of these drugs might inflict harm upon innocent people (as well as themselves in the long run). Works both ways... I don't mean to go on a political tangent and derail the thread, though... :)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_32hrlI11ixI/TSTrQXGFobI/AAAAAAAAAfc/q7Yg7H22N1Q/s1600/funny-pictures-monorail-cat-derails-after-a-sharp-turn.jpg

My Father and Mother both stopped smoking over 20 years ago and now my parents have coffee instead of cigarettes.

Written By: whistledog on 05/21/11 at 12:55 am

Then what will people do after 2020?  ???

Stop watching Elizabeth Vargas and Chris Cuomo?

Written By: Vicky on 06/09/11 at 10:52 pm

He got addicted very quick.  He played hockey and he always got out of breath due to his smoking.   He tried to quit but he realized it was hard.  He's 22 now and is still smoking a pack a day and is trying very hard to quit.

I just talked to my nephew today.  He went 2 weeks without a cigarette.   I hope he stays off cigarettes for good.  He's a great kid, I hate to see him destroying his health.    

Written By: Howard on 06/10/11 at 6:33 am

I just talked to my nephew today.  He went 2 weeks without a cigarette.   I hope he stays off cigarettes for good.  He's a great kid, I hate to see him destroying his health.    

Good for your nephew.  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/10/11 at 6:08 pm

Awesome news.  :)

Written By: Howard on 06/10/11 at 7:23 pm

What will they smoke by 2020? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/10/11 at 7:39 pm

What will they smoke by 2020? ???

Dessicated rat turds, wrapped in rolling paper made of cork husks.  :P

Written By: Howard on 06/10/11 at 7:53 pm

Dessicated rat turds, wrapped in rolling paper made of cork husks.   :P

EW!  8-P

Check for new replies or respond here...