inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: GaGa's new song and video "Judas"

Written By: Cory! on 05/05/11 at 4:15 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wagn8Wrmzuc&feature=player_embedded

Subject: Re: GaGa's new song and video "Judas"

Written By: bchris02 on 05/05/11 at 10:17 pm

This style of music is really starting to become tired, which says something being that it was just becoming popular in very late 2008.  This song would have been awesome if released in 2009.  Now, not so much, sounds too much like every other song on Top 40, nothing new or fresh about it.  Gaga should go Madonna and completely re-invent her style of music with her next album.  If you keep track of Madonna from the 1980s to 2009, she was always on the cutting edge.  Gaga needs to follow suit and she will remain relevant.

Written By: PreppyBoy on 05/05/11 at 10:29 pm

Ok, so I'm reaching here, but "Judas" not only rips off part of the chorus of "Better the Devil You Know" by Kylie Minogue, but she steals choreography from Bananarama and "I Want You Back."  The hussy!

Written By: Cory! on 05/05/11 at 11:48 pm

This style of music is really starting to become tired, which says something being that it was just becoming popular in very late 2008.  This song would have been awesome if released in 2009.  Now, not so much, sounds too much like every other song on Top 40, nothing new or fresh about it.  Gaga should go Madonna and completely re-invent her style of music with her next album.  If you keep track of Madonna from the 1980s to 2009, she was always on the cutting edge.  Gaga needs to follow suit and she will remain relevant.

Comparing Madonna's ever changing 20+ year career to GaGa's 3 years? Seriously? Of course Madonna changed her sound to stay up to date throughout those years. When GaGa came out, like you said, the electropop thing was just getting popular, and it still is to this date. How is she going to reinvent her sound? Make an indie rock or techno album? ::)  and, going off topic, have you looked at the Top 40 lately? This song sounds nothing like any of the songs on it. Looking at the top 10, this song is in NO WAY "E.T.", "Rolling in The Deep", "Till The World Ends", "Just Can't Get Enough", "The Lazy Song", "S&M", "On The Floor", "Blow", "Down on Me", or "Look At Me Now". I'm sorry I'm just so sick of people bashing her and specifically people on this forum saying music today sounds a like. To be honest A LOT of music in the 70s, 80s, and 90s all sounded alike. Compare all those songs, or any of the songs off the Top 40, and they sound NOTHING like "Judas" just like NOTHING sounded like "Born This Way". To the other reply, it doesn't sound anything like Kylie's song lyrically or the music, and everybody has to rip off something from somebody nowadays don't they?

Written By: sonikuu on 05/06/11 at 3:00 am

Let's see if the addition of this video makes this song more successful on the charts.  It's easily her least successful song so far: it's already fallen to #20 on the Hot 100 with a peak of #10 three weeks ago.  By way of comparison, "Born This Way" got #1 right away without even needing a video.

For what it's worth, I actually think Lady Gaga isn't that bad.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/11 at 3:21 am

Too much of the same old thing!

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 05/06/11 at 6:33 am

That song sounds has a 90's dance sound.

Written By: Howard on 05/06/11 at 6:39 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wagn8Wrmzuc&feature=player_embedded

I don't like it,My ears hurt after the first minute.

Written By: Shiv on 05/06/11 at 9:13 am

Today the music industry takes one style and runs it into the ground.

Written By: Shiv on 05/06/11 at 9:18 am

C. Looking at the top 10, this song is in NO WAY "E.T.", "Rolling in The Deep", "Till The World Ends", "Just Can't Get Enough", "The Lazy Song", "S&M", "On The Floor", "Blow", "Down on Me", or "Look At Me Now". I'm sorry I'm just so sick of people bashing her and specifically people on this forum saying music today sounds a like. To be honest A LOT of music in the 70s, 80s, and 90s all sounded alike. Compare all those songs, or any of the songs off the Top 40, and they sound NOTHING like "Judas" just like NOTHING sounded like "Born This Way". To the other reply, it doesn't sound anything like Kylie's song lyrically or the music, and everybody has to rip off something from somebody nowadays don't they?

It all sounds alike to me.

in the 70s, 80s, 90s, hell even in the early 00s, rock, pop, hip hop, r&b, etc could all be popular at the same time. Now its all just pop. No variety.

I think that is why people are getting frustrated.

Written By: Howard on 05/06/11 at 7:18 pm

until you get very tired of it.

Written By: RG1995 on 05/06/11 at 9:20 pm

until you get very tired of it.
We seem to be at the beginning of the end of this Electropop fad. Perhaps the end of the beginning actually. 3 years seems about right when a dance craze begins to go into decline. I am sure this Lady Gaga/Ke$ha sound will stay for awhile, but not for long. Maybe Gaga can reinvent herself, but I think we all know Ke$ha and others won't. They are too untalented.  :P

Written By: Howard on 05/07/11 at 6:37 am

]We seem to be at the beginning of the end of this Electropop fad.

And let's get back to the time when people used REAL instruments.

Written By: RG1995 on 05/07/11 at 1:11 pm

And let's get back to the time when people used REAL instruments.
I hope. Doubt it though :(

Written By: sonikuu on 05/07/11 at 1:54 pm

I think that every big music trend goes through four phases: Rise, Peak, Saturation, and Decline. 

- Rise is when the genre bursts out onto the mainstream and is exciting, brand new.  It gets a lot of hype and and changes the music scene significantly.  For 00s Rap, the Rise would be 2002-2003. 

- Peak is when the genre experiences its popularity peak, dominating the mainstream music scene.  Hints of the Saturation period also begin to emerge as well.  00s Rap's Peak would be 2004 and 2005.

- Saturation occurs afterward, when the genre starts to get flooded with copycat and "me-too" acts.  The genre becomes overly commercialized and the bad outweighs the good.  The genre is still popular during this period, but people are starting to get sick of it (see: Disco, 1979).  This occurs with 00s Rap in 2006 and 2007.

- Decline is when the genre declines in popularity as people get sick of the trend and want something new.  Something new inevitably emerges and people migrate to that trend.  For some trends, the Decline marks their complete exit from the mainstream altogether (see: Hair Metal) while other genre's adapt better (see: rappers incorporating the Dance/Electropop trend into their music).  00s Rap's Decline is the second half of 2008.

The current Dance-Pop trend is no exception to this.  I don't call it the Electropop trend because I don't think most Americans know the difference between various styles of dance music.  Once Electropop dies, the dance trend will die with it. 

Written By: Howard on 05/07/11 at 7:05 pm

I hope. Doubt it though :(

music that had trumpets horns,saxaphones,violins and drums.

Written By: Emman on 05/08/11 at 4:19 pm

The current Dance-Pop trend is no exception to this.  I don't call it the Electropop trend because I don't think most Americans know the difference between various styles of dance music.  Once Electropop dies, the dance trend will die with it.

The dance trend probably won't die that soon, it'll just evolve into something different. I think dance music will be somewhat popular throughout the decade(2010s), electropop in particular just won't be dominant the entire decade.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/08/11 at 4:41 pm

I think that every big music trend goes through four phases: Rise, Peak, Saturation, and Decline. 

- Rise is when the genre bursts out onto the mainstream and is exciting, brand new.  It gets a lot of hype and and changes the music scene significantly.  For 00s Rap, the Rise would be 2002-2003. 

- Peak is when the genre experiences its popularity peak, dominating the mainstream music scene.  Hints of the Saturation period also begin to emerge as well.  00s Rap's Peak would be 2004 and 2005.

- Saturation occurs afterward, when the genre starts to get flooded with copycat and "me-too" acts.  The genre becomes overly commercialized and the bad outweighs the good.  The genre is still popular during this period, but people are starting to get sick of it (see: Disco, 1979).  This occurs with 00s Rap in 2006 and 2007.

- Decline is when the genre declines in popularity as people get sick of the trend and want something new.  Something new inevitably emerges and people migrate to that trend.  For some trends, the Decline marks their complete exit from the mainstream altogether (see: Hair Metal) while other genre's adapt better (see: rappers incorporating the Dance/Electropop trend into their music).  00s Rap's Decline is the second half of 2008.

Agreed, except I would say rap began its rise in 2000 with Eminem's "Marshal Mathers LP"  It was that summer that hip-hop began to really take off on Top 40 stations, as opposed to urban stations as it had been during the '90s with the exception of a few crossovers.  Electropop is showing clear signs of being at its peak nearing the saturation point.  I think it will have evolved into something else as soon as 2013.

Written By: tv on 05/09/11 at 2:49 pm

Yeah with rap this happened in mid 2005. I couldn't stand how much rap there was on the radio back then. It just got tireing.

Written By: RG1995 on 05/09/11 at 2:56 pm

It definitly looks like Judas did not live up to the hype chart wise. At least for Gaga standards.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/09/11 at 4:14 pm

It definitly looks like Judas did not live up to the hype chart wise. At least for Gaga standards.

It's number 20 currently.  :(

Written By: Creeder on 05/09/11 at 5:02 pm

Yeah, people got sick of electropop very quick. GaGa's future is uncertain as of now.
Anyway 'Judas' is better than 'Born this way' for me. Both songs are satanic and masonic though.

Written By: RG1995 on 05/09/11 at 5:27 pm

Yeah, people got sick of electropop very quick. GaGa's future is uncertain as of now.

Electropop is at a pivotal point here. At this point, it's basically the same sound with the same producers producing the sound. People will and are somewhat getting sick of it, but a new sound hasn't really taken advantage yet.

Written By: RG1995 on 05/09/11 at 6:00 pm

Apparently they are making the song "Edge of Glory" a single since Judas has performed badly.

Written By: Shiv on 05/09/11 at 9:09 pm

Speaking of oversaturation, two words: Lil Wayne.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/09/11 at 9:27 pm

Apparently they are making the song "Edge of Glory" a single since Judas has performed badly.

Is this the beginning of the end for Gaga?

Written By: Creeder on 05/10/11 at 3:12 am

"The Edge of Glory" isn't bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S08KonZiew4

Written By: Cory! on 05/10/11 at 6:33 am

Anyway 'Judas' is better than 'Born this way' for me. Both songs are satanic and masonic though.

How is 'Judas' satanic? I'm getting so sick of people saying this...it's used as a metaphor. Basically its saying she's in love with somebody that betrayed her and keeps betraying her like Judas did to Jesus Christ, but she still loves him. And just because she's releasing 'Edge of Glory' doesn't mean anything. She said she wanted three singles before the album was released, and besides thats what a lot of artists are doing now. Ke$ha did the same thing.

Written By: Howard on 05/10/11 at 6:35 am

Yeah with rap this happened in mid 2005. I couldn't stand how much rap there was on the radio back then. It just got tireing.

There was less back in the 80's.

Written By: Howard on 05/10/11 at 6:37 am

Is this the beginning of the end for Gaga?

But can she re-invent herself in the next few years? ???

Written By: 80sfan on 05/10/11 at 10:41 am

But can she re-invent herself in the next few years? ???

Like Madonna?

Written By: tv on 05/10/11 at 11:16 am

There was less back in the 80's.
Well even in the 90's-early 00's rap wasn't everywhere like it was 2003-early 2006 and 2007-mid 2008.

Written By: tv on 05/10/11 at 11:19 am

Number 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 is bad?

Written By: 80sfan on 05/10/11 at 12:46 pm

Not bad, but I guess people expected it to go at least to number 6 or higher! There was so much anticipation for the 'Judas'.

Written By: RG1995 on 05/10/11 at 2:07 pm

It's peaked and that is pretty bad considering the hype for it and how Gaga's singles usually do.

Written By: Creeder on 05/10/11 at 2:55 pm

Its bad for an artist who is in his/her prime.
If GaGa is the new queen of pop all her singles must go at least to number 3 and better.
For example all Katy Perry's singles have gone to number 1 so I guess she is better than GaGa.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/10/11 at 2:58 pm

Its bad for an artist who is in his/her prime.
If GaGa is the new queen of pop all her singles must go at least to number 3 and better.
For example all Katy Perry's singles have gone to number 1 so I guess she is better than GaGa.

I bet some Gaga haters are starting to smirk a little. I'm not a Gaga hater nor a Gaga lover, I'm neutral.

Written By: Cory! on 05/10/11 at 5:03 pm

Guys "Judas" HAS only been out for a week. It hasn't necessarily peaked...I've seen several songs go back into the top 10 from the top 20. We'll see when they update the Billboard charts again.

Written By: Howard on 05/10/11 at 7:22 pm

Like Madonna?

Madonna became the boytoy of the 1980's. She always wore her wedding dress.

Written By: RG1995 on 05/10/11 at 8:01 pm

I believe this is Gaga's lowest charting single to date. That's why it is considered a flop. People just couldn't get into it I guess. Maybe people just aren't suprised by her "wacky" outfits and videos anymore and are getting sick of her. We'll see what the rest of the album brings us.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/11/11 at 2:00 am

This song was a flop definitely, yeah it peaked at 10 on the first week but the airplay is poor and the sales died quickly. It's basically GaGa's first flop imo. It's not a bad song really but it is very similar to several of her other hits and very generic. "The Edge of Glory" is definitely better and hopefully it will perform better.

Written By: Howard on 05/11/11 at 6:38 am

I believe this is Gaga's lowest charting single to date. That's why it is considered a flop. People just couldn't get into it I guess. Maybe people just aren't suprised by her "wacky" outfits and videos anymore and are getting sick of her. We'll see what the rest of the album brings us.

Maybe because she's on TV most of the time.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/12/11 at 9:10 am

Well, Judas is number 19 and only jumped 1 notch from number 20. The song is officially a disappointment. I don't see Judas doing any better.

Written By: sonikuu on 05/12/11 at 3:01 pm

It's doing worse than "Born This Way" and it's been out for a few weeks.  That's not how singles from high profile singers like her are supposed to work.  Personally, I like the chorus, but the verses give me a headache.  I genuinely liked Lady Gaga's previous stuff, but I'm not feeling this new album.  The songs just don't seem to have the same quality as her last one.  Then there's that horrible album cover:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d2/Born_This_Way.jpg

Written By: bchris02 on 05/12/11 at 4:16 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S08KonZiew4

The Edge of Glory is good.  Its the first song off this album that I've actually liked.

Written By: boom! on 05/16/11 at 10:06 pm

Guys "The Edge of Glory" isn't actually a single...its just part of the countdown to her new album on iTunes...like she just released her song 'Hair' on there today.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/17/11 at 12:38 am

Guys "The Edge of Glory" isn't actually a single...its just part of the countdown to her new album on iTunes...like she just released her song 'Hair' on there today.

What's the difference between "single" and "album" these days?

It's sorta like Weird Al's strategy of releasing a track every few months between albums.  As long as there are legitimate (iTunes, Amazon, etc.) download services, artists can float ideas, bring in a little bit of revenue between albums, and keep their names in the minds of their listeners, and the album can come out whenever it's ready.

It may not be a perfect system, but it's a hell of a lot better than the pre-digital era's model of "release one single and 10 tracks of filler every year and hope that they buy it..."

Written By: whistledog on 05/17/11 at 1:17 am

To hit #10 on the charts is great.  The problem with the music charts is when you have a string of smash hits, you're expected to maintain that expectation, but if you don't, it's considered a commercial disappointment. And these people who call it a flop, I don't see them with a hit single in the Top 10

Her lowest charting single was called Chillin' with rap artist Wale.  It stalled at #99 in the US

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/17/11 at 9:19 am

"The Edge of Glory" is here best song yet.  Brilliant.  "Hair" is amazing too.  She keeps getting better.

Written By: RG1995 on 05/17/11 at 3:08 pm

They changed it up because Judas underperformed

Written By: tv on 05/18/11 at 2:39 pm

"Edge Of Glory" debuts at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100 mostly because of downloads.

Written By: RG1995 on 05/18/11 at 3:36 pm

Her whole album got leaked. Getting mixed reviews. Some good, some bad.

Written By: whistledog on 05/18/11 at 8:01 pm

You need to check your facts Buford.  It's the 3rd single from the 'Born This Way' album

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 05/19/11 at 2:02 am

Actually. the more I listen to this, some it of kind of 80's. Like half 80's/half 90's, lol.

Written By: Emman on 05/19/11 at 2:33 am

Actually. the more I listen to this, some it of kind of 80's. Like half 80's/half 90's, lol.

There's even some smooth jazz elements(as with The Edge of Glory), along with euro-techno, industrial, and metal influences(Judas).

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 05/19/11 at 8:45 pm

There's even some smooth jazz elements(as with The Edge of Glory), along with euro-techno, industrial, and metal influences(Judas).

Yeah, The Edge of Glory is very 80's sounding. I like it a lot. I don't know if it's her best song, but it's probably the most purely catchy song I've heard of her's.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/20/11 at 9:12 am

Yeah, The Edge of Glory is very 80's sounding. I like it a lot. I don't know if it's her best song, but it's probably the most purely catchy song I've heard of her's.

Yeah I'd say that's the best single from this album so far and it is kind of different from her other singles which is why I like it.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/20/11 at 9:26 am

A few early highlights imo from the leaked album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu21-Jf24V4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIba9u-AbwA&feature=related/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTad3THBpfs&feature=related/youtube]

Written By: Brian06 on 05/20/11 at 9:59 am

Electropop is at a pivotal point here. At this point, it's basically the same sound with the same producers producing the sound. People will and are somewhat getting sick of it, but a new sound hasn't really taken advantage yet.

One thing that bothers me is the lack of big new artists coming up lately, it is time for somebody new beside Perry, GaGa, Rihanna, and washed up early '00s acts joining the fun (J. Lo, Eminem, Britney Spears, Enrique iglesias, Avril Lavigne). It's time for some new artists with a different sound.

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/20/11 at 12:07 pm

One thing that bothers me is the lack of big new artists coming up lately, it is time for somebody new beside Perry, GaGa, Rihanna, and washed up early '00s acts joining the fun (J. Lo, Eminem, Britney Spears, Enrique iglesias, Avril Lavigne). It's time for some new artists with a different sound.

Forgive me, but these artists have only been around for about 3-4 years.  If they keep producing quality music, why should we be sick of them already?  I think the major problem with the music industry is USA's continuously shrinking attention span.  Madonna was immensely popular for almost 20 years before finally fizzling out.  The same can be said for Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson, and of course Michael Jackson.  But I bet, if any of them were starting out today, we'd have been ready to move on or declare them "over" after just 2 or 3 albums.  It's all about immediate gradification now, and if an artist isn't doing something amazing every time you blink an eye, they're no longer relevant.  It's sad.

Also, it takes a while for an artist to become "big", in my opinion.  But I'd say Adele would fit that category.  She's new and she's making some amazing music.  As far as I'm concerned, there are plenty of one-hit-wonders out there, but the true artists take some time to establish themselves and they will emerge, if they deserve to, in time.

Written By: Shiv on 05/20/11 at 7:35 pm

Forgive me, but these artists have only been around for about 3-4 years.   If they keep producing quality music, why should we be sick of them already?  I think the major problem with the music industry is USA's continuously shrinking attention span.  Madonna was immensely popular for almost 20 years before finally fizzling out.  The same can be said for Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson, and of course Michael Jackson.  But I bet, if any of them were starting out today, we'd have been ready to move on or declare them "over" after just 2 or 3 albums.  It's all about immediate gradification now, and if an artist isn't doing something amazing every time you blink an eye, they're no longer relevant.  It's sad.

Also, it takes a while for an artist to become "big", in my opinion.  But I'd say Adele would fit that category.  She's new and she's making some amazing music.  As far as I'm concerned, there are plenty of one-hit-wonders out there, but the true artists take some time to establish themselves and they will emerge, if they deserve to, in time.

The reason why artists have a hard time staying relevant now is because they rely too much on gimmicks and image instead of actual talent. Now, don't get me wrong, image has always been important in music, but there used to be a balance. Today, that is not the case.

Quality music stands the test of time, the crap is forgotten as soon as the novelty wears off. Its always been that way.

Written By: Howard on 05/20/11 at 8:07 pm

Quality music stands the test of time, the crap is forgotten as soon as the novelty wears off. Its always been that way.

just like disco and funk.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/23/11 at 10:19 pm

The reason why artists have a hard time staying relevant now is because they rely too much on gimmicks and image instead of actual talent. Now, don't get me wrong, image has always been important in music, but there used to be a balance. Today, that is not the case.

Karma, if for no other reason than "That's what I said about Madonna's cone-shaped bra in 1990."

It's entirely possible that Gaga's just getting started.  My snarky one-liner didn't exactly stop Madonna from releasing/endorsing the occasional single/remix/mashup every year or so for the next decade, and only time will tell if the same applies to Gaga.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/23/11 at 10:28 pm

Karma, if for no other reason than "That's what I said about Madonna's cone-shaped bra in 1990."

It's entirely possible that Gaga's just getting started.  My snarky one-liner didn't exactly stop Madonna from releasing/endorsing the occasional single/remix/mashup every year or so for the next decade, and only time will tell if the same applies to Gaga.

Madonna 1990  ;)

http://girlstalkinsmack.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/madoona.jpg

Written By: Shiv on 05/23/11 at 11:28 pm

It's entirely possible that Gaga's just getting started.  My snarky one-liner didn't exactly stop Madonna from releasing/endorsing the occasional single/remix/mashup every year or so for the next decade, and only time will tell if the same applies to Gaga.

Lady Gaga's pretty talented. She has the balance.

Unforunately, most of her contemporaries don't eg. Ke$ha. Can anyone honestly say she's talented?

Written By: Howard on 05/24/11 at 6:20 am

Madonna 1990  ;)

http://girlstalkinsmack.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/madoona.jpg

Madonna made the cone shaped bra sexy.

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/24/11 at 6:58 am

Best songs from the new album:

Born This Way
Judas
The Edge of Glory
Hair
Highway Unicorn
The Queen
Fashion of His Love
Electrip Chapel

There are more but I can't think of them right now.

I give the album a 9/10 right now, likely to rise :)

Written By: 80sfan on 05/24/11 at 7:29 am

Madonna made the cone shaped bra sexy.

She wasn't the first person to wear a cone bra, but she sure made it more popular though.

Written By: Shiv on 05/24/11 at 11:15 am

She wasn't the first person to wear a cone bra, but she sure made it more popular though.

Weren't cone bras popular in the 60s?

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/24/11 at 11:37 am

No.  Madonna was the first.  She was a trailblazer.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/24/11 at 2:48 pm

No.  Madonna was the first.  She was a trailblazer.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_joEtjQNzthU/SImJ5T5VbTI/AAAAAAAAAhY/-UEAnQHCkhM/s400/madonna_bettiepage1.jpg

I think this is Betty Page from the 60s wearing it before Madonna. BUT Madonna was the first popstar to wear a cone bra so I'll give her that credit!

Written By: Howard on 05/24/11 at 7:32 pm

I think more at burlesque shows.

Written By: Howard on 05/24/11 at 7:33 pm

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_joEtjQNzthU/SImJ5T5VbTI/AAAAAAAAAhY/-UEAnQHCkhM/s400/madonna_bettiepage1.jpg

I think this is Betty Page from the 60s wearing it before Madonna. BUT Madonna was the first popstar to wear a cone bra so I'll give her that credit!

and both posed nude at one time.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/24/11 at 9:08 pm

and both posed nude at one time.

Wow, I didn't know that!  :D

Written By: Howard on 05/25/11 at 6:34 am

Wow, I didn't know that!  :D

Madonna posed nude in 1979 for Playboy
Betty Page just posed nude (just type in Betty Page nude)

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/25/11 at 6:55 am

Madonna posed nude in 1979 for Playboy
Betty Page just posed nude (just type in Betty Page nude)

That Madonna tidbit is completely false.  She posed nude for a photographer in 1979 to earn some extra cash, but it wasn't until 1985 that Playboy found the photos and ran them in their magazine.  You're also forgetting a certain book called "SEX" that Madonna released in 1992, it's just slightly more graphic than the 1979 photospread.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/25/11 at 1:39 pm

Well, back to the subject. Lady Gaga's new album is set to sale over 1 million copies in a week.

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/25/11 at 2:02 pm

Woo hoo!! Very happy to hear that.  Where did you read this?

Written By: 80sfan on 05/25/11 at 2:04 pm

Woo hoo!! Very happy to hear that.  Where did you read this?

It was on an entertainment show. I forgot which one, Lol.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/26/11 at 8:56 pm

Well, back to the subject. Lady Gaga's new album is set to sale over 1 million copies in a week.

I bought mine off Amazon, they had a big 99 cents sale. I have to say that was an awesome deal.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/26/11 at 8:58 pm

"The Edge of Glory" is really great, song of the year imo.

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/27/11 at 6:29 am

Agreed!  But there are some other really amazing songs on there, unfortunately a couple of them were not on the $.99 Amazon version.  I HIGHLY recommend "The Queen" and "Fashion of His Love".  Worth the download from iTunes at $1.29 ea since you got such a great deal on the album.

Written By: Creeder on 05/29/11 at 9:59 am

Its good, but it also flopped. Its now at number 19 at the hot 100.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/29/11 at 1:16 pm

Flop? More like a disappointment. I wouldn't consider peaking at number 10 a flop.

Written By: tv on 05/31/11 at 2:12 pm

Forgive me, but these artists have only been around for about 3-4 years.   If they keep producing quality music, why should we be sick of them already?  I think the major problem with the music industry is USA's continuously shrinking attention span.  Madonna was immensely popular for almost 20 years before finally fizzling out.  The same can be said for Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson, and of course Michael Jackson.  But I bet, if any of them were starting out today, we'd have been ready to move on or declare them "over" after just 2 or 3 albums.  It's all about immediate gradification now, and if an artist isn't doing something amazing every time you blink an eye, they're no longer relevant.  It's sad.

Also, it takes a while for an artist to become "big", in my opinion.  But I'd say Adele would fit that category.  She's new and she's making some amazing music.  As far as I'm concerned, there are plenty of one-hit-wonders out there, but the true artists take some time to establish themselves and they will emerge, if they deserve to, in time.

No Rihanna has been around for almost 6 years now. She debut in August of 2005 with her debut hit "Pon De Replay." Yeah Perry and Gaga have been around only for a few years.

On your second point Bobby Brown and Paula Abdul careers didn't last a long time in the late 80's/early 90's.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/31/11 at 2:36 pm

Oops. I thought you were talking about Judas. I think 'Edge of Glory' peaked at number 3, not number 10.

Yeah, the song slipped on the charts.... fast!!

Written By: Brian06 on 05/31/11 at 3:08 pm

Oops. I thought you were talking about Judas. I think 'Edge of Glory' peaked at number 3, not number 10.

Yeah, the song slipped on the charts.... fast!!

Edge of Glory will go back up, it just went down because first week downloads were really high with a lot of fans buying it, then usually they go down a bit then the song gains airplay and they go back up. You guys can't just look at the peak and instantly judge a song, not these days with downloads going up and down you have to know how the charts work. This didn't really happen with Judas though because it never really got that much airplay, though it did reach around #33 on the radio but that's weak for Gaga. The Edge of Glory is now back to number 3 on iTunes and pretty sure it's still gaining at radio, so it should go back up the charts again next week, so it seems to be doing better than Judas so far.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/31/11 at 5:26 pm

Edge of Glory will go back up, it just went down because first week downloads were really high with a lot of fans buying it, then usually they go down a bit then the song gains airplay and they go back up. You guys can't just look at the peak and instantly judge a song, not these days with downloads going up and down you have to know how the charts work. This didn't really happen with Judas though because it never really got that much airplay, though it did reach around #33 on the radio but that's weak for Gaga. The Edge of Glory is now back to number 3 on iTunes and pretty sure it's still gaining at radio, so it should go back up the charts again next week, so it seems to be doing better than Judas so far.

Gaga is extremely popular right now!  :(

Written By: Shiv on 05/31/11 at 9:08 pm

No Rihanna has been around for almost 6 years now. She debut in August of 2005 with her debut hit "Pon De Replay." Yeah Perry and Gaga have been around only for a few years.

On your second point Bobby Brown and Paula Abdul careers didn't last a long time in the late 80's/early 90's.

Gaga is the only one I still see being popular in a few years. Rhianna doesn't write or play anything to the best of my knowledge, Perry's songs are cliche and she gives off the impression she's trying to be something she's not (with her whole Christian rock background and everything). Gaga at least has substance.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/31/11 at 11:52 pm

Gaga is the only one I still see being popular in a few years. Rhianna doesn't write or play anything to the best of my knowledge, Perry's songs are cliche and she gives off the impression she's trying to be something she's not (with her whole Christian rock background and everything). Gaga at least has substance.

Well, like tv said, Rihanna has lasted almost 6 years. But I don't know if she'll have more hits in the future though.

Written By: Howard on 06/01/11 at 6:38 am

Gaga is extremely popular right now!  :(

She has over 1 million twitter followers.  :o

Written By: wsmith4 on 06/01/11 at 8:26 am

She has over 1 million twitter followers.  :o
''

I thought it was over 10 million?

Her new album scanned over 1.1 million copies last week!!

Written By: 80sfan on 06/01/11 at 10:40 am

http://www.billboard.com/#/news/it-s-official-lady-gaga-s-born-this-way-1005208502.story

It's official. Gaga sold 1.1 million in one week, although 662,000 of those sales are because of the whole Amazon thing.

Written By: Howard on 06/01/11 at 2:08 pm

''

I thought it was over 10 million?

Her new album scanned over 1.1 million copies last week!!

I think you're right.

Written By: Creeder on 06/01/11 at 4:04 pm

Really impressive first-week sales.

Written By: RG1995 on 06/02/11 at 2:07 pm

Really impressive first-week sales.
Kind of expected coming from her...and this 99 cent thing....

Written By: tv on 06/02/11 at 8:21 pm

Kind of expected coming from her...and this 99 cent thing....
Well GaGa still would have sold 650,000-660,000 copies of her new CD without the 99 cent special by Amazon.

The Edge Of Glory rose to #8 from #19 this week too on the Hot 100.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/09/11 at 4:15 pm

Gaga sold only 174,000 copies the second week of her album sales for 'Born This Way'.

That's a HUGE drop! I listened to the whole album and it wasn't that good. Thankfully though, we have Adele, who is more of my taste in music.

Written By: wsmith4 on 06/10/11 at 6:46 am

Gaga sold only 174,000 copies the second week of her album sales for 'Born This Way'.

That's a HUGE drop! I listened to the whole album and it wasn't that good. Thankfully though, we have Adele, who is more of my taste in music.

I think it's a brilliant, pop masterpiece.  Amazing how different people's tastes can be.  Adele's great, too, but I only like 3 songs on her new album, whereas I LOVE all of Gaga's new songs except maybe 2.

When you say you listened to the whole album, are you referring to the iTunes version or the Amazon $.99 version?  The $.99 version does not include some of the best songs on the album.  A shame.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/10/11 at 8:28 am

I think it's a brilliant, pop masterpiece.  Amazing how different people's tastes can be.  Adele's great, too, but I only like 3 songs on her new album, whereas I LOVE all of Gaga's new songs except maybe 2.

When you say you listened to the whole album, are you referring to the iTunes version or the Amazon $.99 version?  The $.99 version does not include some of the best songs on the album.  A shame.

Actually, I did like about 4 songs on Gaga's album, the rest of the songs weren't my taste to be fair. Yes, it is strange how different people's tastes can be.  :D

I bought mine at a record store.

Written By: wsmith4 on 06/10/11 at 9:10 am

My favorites:  The Queen, Fashion of His Love (reminds me of "I Wanna Dance WIth Somebody"!!), Highway Unicorn, Electric Chapel, Hair, Judas, Marry The Night, Bloody Mary... oh I could go on and on LOL

Written By: RG1995 on 06/10/11 at 7:08 pm

Edge of Glory is pretty good. Government Hooker is terrible imo.

Written By: Brian06 on 06/12/11 at 2:19 am

I like Adele and GaGa, they're both great at their respective styles. GaGa's whole act can be a bit ridiculous at times, but stuff like that doesn't bother me too much.

Written By: Brian06 on 06/12/11 at 2:30 am

Edge of Glory is pretty good. Government Hooker is terrible imo.

I can see why "Government Hooker" could be annoying, but I like the synths and really the meaning of the song is right on point (I take it as meaning the government and their rich friends are screwing us over).

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/12/11 at 8:38 am

Well we bought the CD...  After having her last 2 and enjoying them.  But the whole family has agreed, we are terribly disappointed with this CD.  Not impressed, it is like she is telling us something about Religion and government and I just don't find the topic very interesting to try and sort through what her message is.  Lot's of reference, so it seems.  Definitely wished I could take this one back.  

But that is just my opinion.  I still love her other two cd's and we will continue to listen to them.  This one just wasn't our taste I guess. 

Check for new replies or respond here...