inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New York Times "Coming Out" Series

Written By: Mat1991 on 05/23/11 at 11:04 am

This is a series of short stories on gay teens across the United States sharing their experiences of being gay in their respective locations, as well as what the coming out process for them was like. It's being run by the NYT website. It's very fascinating. I recommend everybody take a look at it.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/05/23/us/20110523-coming-out.html

Subject: Re: New York Times "Coming Out" Series

Written By: 80sfan on 05/23/11 at 5:28 pm

My uncle came out 5 years ago and I was shocked!  :o He just didn't seem 'gay' or should I more appropriately say seem 'effeminate'. My mother was supportive, but some of my sisters and brothers never talked to him again. Also, my father, even though he talks to him, seems too nervous around my uncle. I pray for kids who have to come out everyday and face hatred and ignorance daily! My brother and my uncle are 2 people that made me more sympathetic towards gays and the like.

Written By: Mat1991 on 05/23/11 at 7:39 pm

It's especially hard for gay kids living in the Bible Belt, like I do. I live in a very conservative area, but I haven't received problems relating to my being gay. I suppose that might have something to do with the fact that I'm not "in your face" about it. I'm a very private person. I don't hide my being gay, but I don't broadcast it, either.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/23/11 at 8:45 pm

It's especially hard for gay kids living in the Bible Belt, like I do. I live in a very conservative area, but I haven't received problems relating to my being gay. I suppose that might have something to do with the fact that I'm not "in your face" about it. I'm a very private person. I don't hide my being gay, but I don't broadcast it, either.

Well, I think people aren't very nice to the 'effeminate' gays because they don't understand how anyone can be that way.

Like racism, I don't think homophobia will ever go away 100%. But I think that things are getting better for gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgendered people. Even as little as 15 years ago, people were a lot more intolerant so I guess society has progressed.  :D

Written By: Ryan112390 on 05/25/11 at 5:12 am

I got to say, my views on homosexuality are very very mixed. There's a live and let live side to it, but another that think it's just wrong. Very, very ambiguous on the idea of homosexuality. At least amongst women. Being a man, I take it as the ultimate sort of rejection as men.

Check for new replies or respond here...