inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bye Bye Oprah Show!

Written By: 80sfan on 05/25/11 at 8:29 pm

Did you watch the last episode? I almost cried....almost.  ;D :(

Subject: Re: Bye Bye Oprah Show!

Written By: snozberries on 05/26/11 at 12:28 am

I will cry when I watch. I had to record it but I've got about 25 eps still queued so it's not over for me yet. Plus there's ton's o reruns so she's not really gone yet  ;)

Written By: whistledog on 05/26/11 at 12:35 am

When she's officially gone to her own network, then i will start celebrating.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/26/11 at 12:53 am

I will cry when I watch. I had to record it but I've got about 25 eps still queued so it's not over for me yet. Plus there's ton's o reruns so she's not really gone yet  ;)

I missed the first 15 minutes of it. Sigh:.

Should've got home from the gym earlier.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 05/26/11 at 2:37 am

Yea you should have!

I have to say watching all these recap eps leading up to the finale have been emotionally draining. Oprahs most memorable guests
Pleats favorite guests. Family reunions. Former Skinheads apologizing. So much to absorb.

I have cried more this week than I have - probably- in the 15 yrs she's been on the air.

The sisters from Africa reunited with family after 11 yrs - I cried the 1st when Oprah reunited them then I cried when she showed last week. Then I cried when the one was excelling at Yale.

The daughter who's mom left her tapes of love and life lessons before dying of breast cancer when the girl was 6
Oprah angel Matty - god tgat kid was wise beyond his years and so damn intuitive.

And so many more moments. The only thong I didn't care about were the make over ep and the royal wedding. I got thru both eps in about 15/20 min TOTAL.

Im not sure when I'm going to go thru the remaining eps (plus all the behind the scenes on own.) but i will savor almost every minute of it.
I say almost because there's one or two eps that don't interest me much but I'll watch cuz I have to!  :D

Written By: Howard on 05/26/11 at 6:48 am

Are her old shows on DVD?  ???

Written By: Dagwood on 05/26/11 at 7:06 am

I have cried more this week than I have - probably- in the 15 yrs she's been on the air.

You sound like my sister.  She has been a mess this week.  She feels like a lost kid without her Oprah.

Written By: Howard on 05/26/11 at 7:18 am

I remember when she lost all her weight in 1988 and shown the world all that fat and lard on a wagon.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/26/11 at 11:22 am

I remember when she lost all her weight in 1988 and shown the world all that fat and lard on a wagon.

Yeah, I remember that. I saw a clip of it, but I never saw the full episode.

I was born in 1988, but saw a clip of it about 10 years ago.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/26/11 at 11:22 am

That'll be A LOT of episodes! 25 years worth.  :(

Written By: snozberries on 05/26/11 at 12:10 pm

she has a 20th anniversary DVD that has clips from various shows but not full episodes. I have some shows like O & Gayle's Big Adventure  ;D  on DVD cuz that shyt was hysterical!!!!

The one episode I've been wanting to since like 1988 or something is her Steel Magnolia's interview. I remember that day so well... i was at home studying for a math exam (that I failed) and I was recording on VHS the interview but the machine failed so I never got to see it... I still have, on VHS (somewhere) the Steel Magnolias when they were on Phil Donahue....his interview was in front of a studio audience but because Daryl Hannah had stage fright or whatever she wasn't there... oprah's was done at a hotel room or someone's house so all the women were there.... I really hope OWN plays all the shows (good and bad) from the beginning so I can get some of the ones I missed and some of the ones I loved recorded!

Written By: snozberries on 05/26/11 at 12:10 pm

You sound like my sister.  She has been a mess this week.  She feels like a lost kid without her Oprah.

Oprah is as close to a religious experience I've ever gotten...

Written By: snozberries on 05/26/11 at 12:11 pm

we all do... but she lost that weight in the worst way possible and that's why she gained some back... now it's not about being skinny for her it's about being healthy!

Written By: snozberries on 05/26/11 at 12:12 pm

I remember that ep like it was yesterday.... she dranks some liquid I wanna say Optifast. and that was pretty much her whole "diet" regime she's the first one to say it was a horrible idea!

Written By: Howard on 05/26/11 at 1:00 pm

She had all that lard on one wagon. :o

Written By: 80sfan on 05/26/11 at 2:45 pm

She had all that lard on one wagon. :o

I like Oprah and stuff, but that's hilarious. A lard wagon!  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 05/26/11 at 2:48 pm

we all do... but she lost that weight in the worst way possible and that's why she gained some back... now it's not about being skinny for her it's about being healthy!

I do hope she loses weight and keeps it for the rest of her life. It's not healthy to go up and down on your weight too much.

If she goes down 50 pounds I'll be happy for her. Hopefull since the show's done she can have more time to lose all that weight.

And yes, the way she lost weight in the late 80s was one of the worse ways you could lose weight. :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 05/26/11 at 5:06 pm

I do hope she loses weight and keeps it for the rest of her life. It's not healthy to go up and down on your weight too much.

If she goes down 50 pounds I'll be happy for her. Hopefull since the show's done she can have more time to lose all that weight.

And yes, the way she lost weight in the late 80s was one of the worse ways you could lose weight. :-\\

She actually looks good and I think is at a healthy weight. She works out almost everyday.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/26/11 at 5:08 pm

It's the end of an era, really.  The media has changes so much since 1987, I don't see another daytime talk show host with such unitary stardom in the future.  Oprah started out when the Big Three networks were still dominant.  Now the media is broken up into many more niche markets.  

Oprah took what Phil Donahue started and built one of the biggest media empires in the world!

A solid 25 years is a good stopping place.  It's hard to say goodbye but I think it's a wise decision.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/26/11 at 7:25 pm

25 years is perfect.

Written By: snozberries on 05/26/11 at 10:56 pm

25 years is perfect.

We can thank Matty for that. Oprah was going to retire 5yrs ago. People tried to talk her out of it but she was tired. Matty told her 25 yes felt right and he was the only one she listened to. He was right. And so, so wise.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/26/11 at 11:27 pm

We can thank Matty for that. Oprah was going to retire 5yrs ago. People tried to talk her out of it but she was tired. Matty told her 25 yes felt right and he was the only one she listened to. He was right. And so, so wise.

That explains everything! That's why starting around the 20 year mark Oprah's show started to seem kinda blah; it was because she felt it was 'almost' time to quit. I think she knew it in her bones, but she just needed some advice or a little push. Thanks to Matty, he gave her that advice and validation she needed. I feel that 30 years would've been a bit much and 20 years was a bit too soon. I guess that's why 25 is a good place to stop in my eyes.

Written By: Howard on 05/27/11 at 6:24 am

I like Oprah and stuff, but that's hilarious. A lard wagon!  ;D

Was that really HER fat?  :o

Written By: Howard on 05/27/11 at 6:26 am

http://randomoverload.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/b85b5d17e9s-rich.jpg.jpg

Written By: Dagwood on 05/27/11 at 7:03 am

Was that really HER fat?  :o

No, Howard, it wasn't.  It was just a visual example of the weight she lost.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/27/11 at 8:39 pm

No, Howard, it wasn't.  It was just a visual example of the weight she lost.

She had an hourglass figure for about 72 hours.  Hey, some people aren't meant to be skinny.  Americans don't seem to get that.  Ironically, we have more obesity than any other country!
::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/28/11 at 12:25 am

She had an hourglass figure for about 72 hours.  Hey, some people aren't meant to be skinny.  Americans don't seem to get that.  Ironically, we have more obesity than any other country!
::)

Speaking of having an hourglass figure for 72 hours, check out the difference between a screengrab and the press release photo.  I dunno about you, but the press photo looks shopped. I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in my time.

Written By: Howard on 05/28/11 at 6:22 am

Speaking of having an hourglass figure for 72 hours, check out the difference between a screengrab and the press release photo.  I dunno about you, but the press photo looks shopped. I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in my time.

Maybe she had to change her dress when the show went to a commercial?  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/28/11 at 6:42 am

What did you think of Oprah in the early 2000's?  I think she had a similar vibe to the mid 90's but completely different from the late 80's.

Written By: Howard on 05/28/11 at 6:43 am

What did you think of Oprah in the early 2000's?  I think she had a similar vibe to the mid 90's but completely different from the late 80's.

I watched her more during the 80's than the 2000's.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/28/11 at 8:15 pm

I hope we'll see less of Dr. Phil!

Written By: whistledog on 07/18/11 at 9:41 pm

Oprah may be off the air, but Howard isn't ...

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/939/howardt.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 07/19/11 at 12:58 am

Man, Oprah does look whiter now than she did back then!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/19/11 at 6:45 am

HA! Thanks. ;D

gave you karma.

Check for new replies or respond here...