inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Clinton Presidency in retrospect?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 05/26/11 at 7:20 pm

In retrospect, how do you guys feel about his Presidency? It's now ten years since he left office. Did you vote for him in 1992 or 1996? Do you regret doing so, or do you stand behind your vote? Do you think he was a poor average, good or great President? In retrospect, were his policies good ones, and do any of them have a lasting, major effect our politics and situation now?

Also, what did you think of the whole Lewinsky scandal and Impeachment at the time that it happened? Did you ever think he'd be convicted and removed from office? Did you expect it to go as far as him actually being impeached? And finally, do you think the impeachment efforts might've hurt our domestic or foreign policy both in the short and long run?

I'm just asking all these questions to try and see both how the Clinton years were to people who lived through them and have the benefit of hindsight, and to see with the same people, how Clinton compares to Obama.

Subject: Re: The Clinton Presidency in retrospect?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/26/11 at 8:24 pm

Also, what did you think of the whole Lewinsky scandal and Impeachment at the time that it happened? Did you ever think he'd be convicted and removed from office? Did you expect it to go as far as him actually being impeached? And finally, do you think the impeachment efforts might've hurt our domestic or foreign policy both in the short and long run?

I was really hoping that at some point Clinton would have to say the word "penis." Because that would have been really funny with his Arkansas drawl.  :D

Written By: Brian06 on 05/26/11 at 8:28 pm

Well I wasn't old enough to vote for him either time, considering I was 9 in 1996 but I remember his presidency well. I think he was above average but I wouldn't say great. Overall I think Clinton was a likeable guy and a good speaker but his policies in retrospect were not necessarily all that great. Some of his policies were good and others like NAFTA have turned out to be bad. I thought the Lewinsky scandal was just the GOP trying to find whatever they can to get Clinton. It wasn't really about his dishonesty or supposed perjury, it was nothing but a partisan witch hunt imo. I think it was always pretty clear that he was not going to be removed from office, there was no way any dems were going to vote for removal. The whole goal was to stain (no pun intended) Clinton's reputation. Him getting impeached was pretty shocking and obviously it was huge news as he was the president to be impeached in over 100 years. When it comes to comparing Clinton to Obama, I think they're really similar. Clinton ran on a lot of liberal ideas but eventually sold out a lot of the republicans and Obama has done a lot of the same. I think Clinton was somewhat more likeable than Obama. Clinton did have the advantage of being president during the most prosperous era in American history while Obama inherited the worst financial crisis since the depression. Truth is they're both better than the likes of Dubya Bush (who flushed America down the toilet), but neither are really that great. They're still two millionaires that don't really relate to the struggles of middle class America (doubt anybody in Washington does) at all.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/26/11 at 8:29 pm

^ What he said.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/26/11 at 8:44 pm

Clinton was also extremely lucky too because the internet helped the economy boom like crazy for the rest his presidency.

Written By: sonikuu on 05/26/11 at 11:48 pm

What perfect timing, I just got done reading a book on the Clinton presidency.  I've read a couple other ones too as I like reading about presidents.

Personally, I think the Clinton Era was a time of great potential, but it never really came to fruition.  As the most prosperous time in American history, and definitely one of the most peaceful, the era was a perfect chance reform the country's existing problems and prepare for future ones. However, due to various circumstances, very little of this actually took place beyond a fight against the national debt.  Clinton was running surpluses by the end of his presidency and the plan was (believing that the surpluses would continue into the near future) to use some of it to pay off the national debt and put the rest in a "lockbox" for Social Security as preparation for the Baby Boomers retirement.  Of course, that never happened. 

As a result of various factors, Clinton's presidency wound up being a very passive one and what reform occurred was usually slow and incremental.  Clinton himself, in the later days of his presidency, acknowledged that he and the rest of the US government were essentially blowing the best chance the country would have to fix its problems and prepare itself for future ones.  That said, Clinton himself was a "New Democrat" who was almost Republican-lite at times.  It's ironic that the Republicans hated him so much when he was doing things like lowering the deficit, joining NAFTA, and signing welfare reform, all Republican-supported measures, though they thought his deficit cutting had too few tax cuts).

Summary: Great potential, but never really taken advantage of.  Overall, a decent president, but could have been much more.

Written By: Howard on 05/27/11 at 6:22 am

I was really hoping that at some point Clinton would have to say the word "penis." Because that would have been really funny with his Arkansas drawl.  :D

Why couldn't Monica Lewinsky say it? :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/27/11 at 1:43 pm

Well I wasn't old enough to vote for him either time, considering I was 9 in 1996 but I remember his presidency well. I think he was above average but I wouldn't say great. Overall I think Clinton was a likeable guy and a good speaker but his policies in retrospect were not necessarily all that great. Some of his policies were good and others like NAFTA have turned out to be bad. I thought the Lewinsky scandal was just the GOP trying to find whatever they can to get Clinton. It wasn't really about his dishonesty or supposed perjury, it was nothing but a partisan witch hunt imo. I think it was always pretty clear that he was not going to be removed from office, there was no way any dems were going to vote for removal. The whole goal was to stain (no pun intended) Clinton's reputation. Him getting impeached was pretty shocking and obviously it was huge news as he was the president to be impeached in over 100 years. When it comes to comparing Clinton to Obama, I think they're really similar. Clinton ran on a lot of liberal ideas but eventually sold out a lot of the republicans and Obama has done a lot of the same. I think Clinton was somewhat more likeable than Obama. Clinton did have the advantage of being president during the most prosperous era in American history while Obama inherited the worst financial crisis since the depression. Truth is they're both better than the likes of Dubya Bush (who flushed America down the toilet), but neither are really that great. They're still two millionaires that don't really relate to the struggles of middle class America (doubt anybody in Washington does) at all.

I agree with the exception of one thing: I was old enough to vote for him both times. I would have voted for him again if I could have. No he wasn't a GREAT president but he was a good one. And there were many things that I didn't like about his policies.

Karma (and you are now at 666  :o :o :o )

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...