inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tornadoes in Massachusetts

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/02/11 at 12:06 am

Four people have been confirmed dead after several tornadoes raged through Central and Western Massachusetts.  Gov. Deval Patrick declared a state of emergency.

The Massachusetts tornadoes nailed the Springfield area, including downtown, as well as nearby Palmer, Sturbridge, and Oxford. 

Hampshire County was spared.  In Amherst we had pounding downpours, ripping thunder, and dangerous lightning.  Where I was the power went out only for a total of five non-consecutive seconds.  However, I did see and hear Lima bean-sized hail mingling with the rain.  I went out and picked a few chunks just to feel ice from the sky in June.  The atmosphere glowed with the eerie greenish light often associated with tornadoes but all the twisters were well to the south and east of me. 

Tornadoes are quite rare in Massachusetts.  The flat lands in the central part of the state are most prone.  The deadliest tornado in state history occurred in 1953.  It killed 94 people in Worcester and surrounding communities.  Tornadoes are somewhat more common in the Hartford and Windsor Locks areas of Connecticut, but even there New Englanders meet them with awe and surprise. 

We get used to tornadoes being the other guy's problem; crazy weather for the Mid-West and the Great Plains.  June 1st, 2011, gives us a terrifying reminder that tornadoes can find us too!

Springfield, early evening, 6/01/11
http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/images/kgo/cms_exf_2007/news/national_world/8165379_448x252.jpg

Subject: Re: Tornadoes in Massachusetts

Written By: danootaandme on 06/02/11 at 4:13 am

I sat and watched the news until it was pre-empted for the Bruins game, can't let a Tornado get in the way of the Stanley Cup.  I was out in the afternoon and youngone called and said there were tornado warnings so, of course, in one ear, after all, this is Massachusetts not Kansas.  :o

Written By: Howard on 06/02/11 at 6:52 am

There was supposed to be a tornado warning last night for New York but it expired.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/02/11 at 2:17 pm

Glad you are ok, Max. I was worried about you when I first heard about these tornadoes.

Cat

Written By: nally on 06/02/11 at 2:20 pm

Glad you are ok, Max. I was worried about you when I first heard about these tornadoes.

Cat

My thoughts exactly. I also hope Chucky is okay.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/02/11 at 5:50 pm

Thanks for your thoughts Cat and Nally.  The tornadoes were south greater Worcester, though one did hit Oxford, which is pretty close.  I'm sure he's fine...I hope!
???

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/02/11 at 8:23 pm

Jeez!  There's nowhere to run anymore!  I hope everyone's ok.

Written By: Howard on 06/03/11 at 6:27 am

He lives in Wooster.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/03/11 at 6:28 am

He lives in Wooster.

Worcester

Written By: Howard on 06/03/11 at 6:30 am

Worcester

Thanks I thought it started with a "W".

Written By: karen on 06/03/11 at 8:32 am

Tornadoes are somewhat more common in the Hartford and Windsor Locks areas of Connecticut, but even there New Englanders meet them with awe and surprise. 

I did n't know that.  I always thought it was OTT for the YMCA after-school club to have rules about what to do during a tornado watch  :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/03/11 at 10:25 am

It is spelled...

Worcester

But it is pronounced...

He lives in Wooster.

Actually, more like Woosta.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/11 at 10:31 am

It is spelled...

But it is pronounced...

Actually, more like Woosta.

Cat

Wuss-tah if you there!
;)

Check for new replies or respond here...