inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Vinyl's making a comeback

Written By: Shiv on 06/30/11 at 10:24 am

Younger people have been increasingly getting into vinyl, and vinyl sales have risen every year for the past 5 years.

http://www.tcnj.edu/~unbound/article.php?id=877

USAtoday (from Feb. 2011) http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2011-02-25-vinyl25_ST_N.htm

I myself started collecting vinyl when I was about 11 (I'm currently 20), back when vinyl was still uncool  8). I love the big artwork, the cool label designs, and the rich, analog sound. Also, it makes listening to music more of an experience. You can't skip around tracks as easily, so it forces you to sit down on a comfy couch and just listen. Being born around the time vinyl was originally being tossed in the dumpster in favor of CDs, I didnt grow up with them, so it was like a new experience for me. I think many other younger people feel the same.

Of course digital downloads are far more cheaper and convenient...vinyl will never overthrow downloads, but I think vinyl is finding a new niche for those who want more of a thorough music experience.

Subject: Re: Vinyl's making a comeback

Written By: whistledog on 06/30/11 at 10:38 am

What do you mean making a comeback?

Written By: Howard on 06/30/11 at 1:52 pm

Vinyl was so cool before CDs came out.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/30/11 at 4:46 pm

I'd like to see vinyl car roofs come back too.

They were the ultimate statement of automobile luxury and class.  8)

Written By: whistledog on 06/30/11 at 6:07 pm

What's that got to do with music?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/30/11 at 7:04 pm

Younger people have been increasingly getting into vinyl, and vinyl sales have risen every year for the past 5 years.

http://www.tcnj.edu/~unbound/article.php?id=877

USAtoday (from Feb. 2011) http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2011-02-25-vinyl25_ST_N.htm

I myself started collecting vinyl when I was about 11 (I'm currently 20), back when vinyl was still uncool  8). I love the big artwork, the cool label designs, and the rich, analog sound. Also, it makes listening to music more of an experience. You can't skip around tracks as easily, so it forces you to sit down on a comfy couch and just listen. Being born around the time vinyl was originally being tossed in the dumpster in favor of CDs, I didnt grow up with them, so it was like a new experience for me. I think many other younger people feel the same.

Of course digital downloads are far more cheaper and convenient...vinyl will never overthrow downloads, but I think vinyl is finding a new niche for those who want more of a thorough music experience.

How much does a decent turntable go for these days?

Written By: Shiv on 06/30/11 at 8:50 pm

About $100, selection isn't that big.

Written By: Midas on 06/30/11 at 9:01 pm

Here's a good range of turntables for audiophiles. 

DJ turntables are a little different.  I have two Technics SL-1200MKII (which by some is considered DJ industry standard) that I bought new at around $450 apiece; they could be worth more now since they've stopped making them. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/30/11 at 9:48 pm

What's that got to do with music?

Because it was so cool to drive down the road in a vinyl-topped ride, whilst listening to In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida on the 8-track player.  ;)

Written By: whistledog on 06/30/11 at 10:50 pm

Because it was so cool to drive down the road in a vinyl-topped ride, whilst listening to In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida on the 8-track player.  ;)

You just showed your age :P

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/01/11 at 6:05 am

That ship sailed long ago.

I wonder if automobile record players will come back in vogue with this resurgence in vinyl? ???

Written By: Howard on 07/01/11 at 6:26 am

About $100, selection isn't that big.

I still have a turntable and some old huge speakers from the early 80's down in our basement but we don't use it anymore.

Written By: Howard on 07/01/11 at 6:27 am

and I'm getting close to 40.  :o

Written By: Howard on 07/01/11 at 6:27 am

That ship sailed long ago.

I wonder if automobile record players will come back in vogue with this resurgence in vinyl? ???

I don't think so.

Written By: Howard on 07/01/11 at 6:28 am

http://www.vestaldesign.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/images/psych-record-large.jpg

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/01/11 at 7:18 am

I occasionally see Mercury Grand Marquis's made in the 2000's with vinyl roofs, though I don't know if they were installed by the factory or if they're aftermarket.

But on these cars, vinyl roofs are still the ultimate statement of automotive luxury and class...if you're 85.  :P

Written By: Shiv on 07/01/11 at 9:22 am

I still have a turntable and some old huge speakers from the early 80's down in our basement but we don't use it anymore.

Sell!!! people seem willing to pay big bucks for vintage turntables. They were very good quality. You could probably get a pretty good sum for the speakers too if they're a name brand (Infinity, Kenwood, Technics, etc)

Written By: Howard on 07/01/11 at 2:33 pm

Sell!!! people seem willing to pay big bucks for vintage turntables. They were very good quality. You could probably get a pretty good sum for the speakers too if they're a name brand (Infinity, Kenwood, Technics, etc)

I'll ask my Father and see if can get some money on freecycle.

Written By: karen on 07/01/11 at 2:42 pm

We put our turntable in storage when we moved to the US.  And set it up again when we moved back to the UK.

Written By: Howard on 07/02/11 at 6:14 am

I remember when you used to put on a record and it made that crackling sound.

Written By: fusefan on 07/02/11 at 5:31 pm

I collect old records and old record players and other vintage audio. Not because i think they sound better than digital. But it's interesting to get the "feel" of what people experienced with stuff like that before the 80's and 90's came and digital took over. And i think they look cool.  But that's just me i guess...  :-\\  

Written By: Howard on 07/02/11 at 7:13 pm

I collect old records and old record players and other vintage audio. Not because i think they sound better than digital. But it's interesting to get the "feel" of what people experienced with stuff like that before the 80's and 90's came and digital took over. And i think they look cool.  But that's just me i guess...  :-\\  

Do you use them? ???

Written By: fusefan on 07/02/11 at 7:24 pm

Do you use them? ???

Yes. The ones that work. I really need to learn how to solder capacitors & replace cracked power cords. (Or get the money to have a pro fix them for me.)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/02/11 at 11:09 pm

Vinyl does seem to have a richer, fuller sound than CD's.

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 07/04/11 at 12:43 am

I don't know about richer or fuller but they sound pretty good. People still make records just not that much, I know you can find alot of rappers putting out vinyl mostly for DJ's. I want a record player for my entertainment center. I also want to start collecting old school jam boxes. I really want the one Madonna had in her video. Maybe Cassettes will make a comeback too. Honestly vinyls have been around just not at high levels because of seemingly better media. I don't think some things should change, like the DJ business-no self-respecting DJ will ever pull out two iPods and try and pass that off as real dj-ing.

Written By: Howard on 07/04/11 at 6:47 am

Vinyl does seem to have a richer, fuller sound than CD's.

and also a scratching sound when putting it on the turntable.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/04/11 at 7:47 am

and also a scratching sound when putting it on the turntable.

Yep.  Kinda like how it sounds at the very beginning of Eminem's "The Way I Am"  8)

Written By: Howard on 07/04/11 at 1:31 pm

Yep.  Kinda like how it sounds at the very beginning of Eminem's "The Way I Am"  8)

or the skipping sound it made?

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/04/11 at 2:07 pm

or the skipping sound it made?

Like that time when Milli Vanilli was lip synching

"Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its"

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzip

"True, OOh OOh OOh, I love you."

;D

Written By: Ashes Of The Wake on 07/04/11 at 11:27 pm

i got Scream Aim Fire by Bullet For My Valentine and The Ramones debut a couple weeks back

Written By: Howard on 07/05/11 at 6:39 am

Like that time when Milli Vanilli was lip synching

"Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its Girl you know its"

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzip

"True, OOh OOh OOh, I love you."

;D

;D

Check for new replies or respond here...