inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Woman Drowns in City Pool, Not Found for Two Days

Written By: danootaandme on 07/03/11 at 4:58 am

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/2011_0703mom_lifeguards_ignored_sons_pleas_to_help_friend/srvc=home&position=0

This story is just so wrong.  She went into the pool on a slide. There was a young child who tried to alert the lifeguard was ignored.  The water was so murky no one could see the body.  Two days later she floated to the top.  The pool had six lifeguards and had been signed off by an inspector, who hadn't inspected.

Six lifeguards were on duty last Sunday at the Fall River public pool when a woman drowned, the state acknowledged yesterday, but the mother of a boy who saw her sink in murky water — where her body would remain for days — says none of the guards ever searched for her after the child begged for help.

“He did tell two lifeguards — one said she was on break and had to leave and the other told him they were going to do a pool check,” Hunt said. “But he told me they never did.”

“Those lifeguards need to be fired,” said Danyelle Hunt, 30, adding that her traumatized 9-year-old son is now getting counseling. “He’s stressed out. He keeps crying and he thinks he could have saved this lady.”

...After her son reported the incident, he stayed out of the water and remained with a neighborhood group at Lafayette Park for two hours waiting to see if Joseph would show up.

...(District Attorney C. Samuel)Sutter on Friday announced that his investigators determined that the pool — which was opened in the early 1970s — was “murky and cloudy” from the time it opened for the summer last Saturday. Dozens of swimmers cooled off in the pool Monday and Tuesday — unaware Joseph’s body lay below their feet.

Subject: Re: Woman Drowns in City Pool, Not Found for Two Days

Written By: gibbo on 07/03/11 at 6:17 am

Unbelievable!!  :o  We are talking about a public swimming pool....aren't we?  :-\\  Our local pool is crystal clear and I can see a coin easily 10 foot down (let alone a body).  Or is it a pond type of pool that has water flowing into it from a stream or creek?

That poor little kid .... it could have been avoided!

Written By: Howard on 07/03/11 at 6:55 am

WOW,that's sad,It could've been avoided if the lifeguards were on duty! >:(

Written By: Dagwood on 07/03/11 at 8:44 am

WOW,that's sad,It could've been avoided if the lifeguards were on duty! >:(

Lifeguards were on duty.  They ignored the kid who reported to them that she never came back up.

Murky water?  In a public pool?  That's nasty.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/03/11 at 8:50 am

Dozens of swimmers cooled off in the pool Monday and Tuesday — unaware Joseph’s body lay below their feet.

8-P

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/03/11 at 9:27 am

6 Lifeguards?  What an avoidable tragedy!  RIP Ms. Joseph.

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/03/11 at 11:01 am

Very sad and disturbing. 

I couldn't imagine a dead body in a pool and no one noticed it.  I wonder why no one reported her missing.  :(

Written By: Howard on 07/03/11 at 1:40 pm

Lifeguards were on duty.  They ignored the kid who reported to them that she never came back up.

Murky water?  In a public pool?  That's nasty.

Who's gonna swim in murky water?  8-P that's ridiculous. ::)

Written By: snozberries on 07/03/11 at 2:57 pm

Very sad and disturbing.  

I couldn't imagine a dead body in a pool and no one noticed it.  

wonder if anyone swam to the bottom and um touched it not knowing what it was *shudder*

Written By: snozberries on 07/03/11 at 3:01 pm

I wonder why no one reported her missing.  :(

I wonder why the boy didn't tell his mom when he got home and why she didn't notify the authorities.... it would've still been too late but she still would've been located a hell of a lot sooner than two days.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/03/11 at 5:17 pm

Who's gonna swim in murky water?  8-P that's ridiculous. ::)

It is the only place to swim in an inner city area.  It's all they have.  The inspectors had signed off on it(presumably never having even gone by to see it).  There is a slide that dumps into 12 feet of water, that is where she went under.  The pool was only visible to about 5 feet before it got murky.  To add to all this most of the public pools filled in their deep ends for safety since it is mostly young children.  All the pools in my area are no more than 5 feet.  Seems as if this pool was on the low priority list.

I wonder why the boy didn't tell his mom when he got home and why she didn't notify the authorities.... it would've still been too late but she still would've been located a hell of a lot sooner than two days.

I think he did, but she assumed that someone must have taken care of it.  He didn't really know her.

Very sad and disturbing. 

I couldn't imagine a dead body in a pool and no one noticed it.  I wonder why no one reported her missing.  :(

That is a question a lot of people are asking.  They say she has 5 kids, but they aren't giving information on why no one came forward with a missing person report.

Written By: Howard on 07/04/11 at 6:49 am

wonder if anyone swam to the bottom and um touched it not knowing what it was *shudder*

That's one way to find out.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/04/11 at 7:31 am

That's one way to find out.

When they found the body, I wonder if they evacuated the pool it was like that scene in Caddyshack?

Written By: Howard on 07/04/11 at 7:38 am

When they found the body, I wonder if they evacuated the pool it was like that scene in Caddyshack?

I don't think so.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/04/11 at 3:28 pm

The body was found floating when some kids jumped the fence after hours to go for a swim.  They body had floated to the top.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/04/11 at 3:31 pm

The sent a diver in when the body was found, the pool(which had been signed off by an "inspector") was so murky they couldn't see the diver, who was in full gear, when he got below four feet.

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/04/11 at 4:17 pm

The sent a diver in when the body was found, the pool(which had been signed off by an "inspector") was so murky they couldn't see the diver, who was in full gear, when he got below four feet.

So even if the lifeguards were doing their job they still wouldn't be able to see if anyone was in need of help.

That is a question a lot of people are asking.  They say she has 5 kids, but they aren't giving information on why no one came forward with a missing person report.

That's a shame, 5 kids.  :(
Lots of unanswered questions (I don't expect you to know the answers, just thinking really)...
I wonder if they (the kids) were at the pool with her? 
How did they get home, if they were?
I wonder if she had a history of going off without notifying anyone.
Didn't anyone notice that she left her stuff behind?

It's sad.

I know I can't even go to the bathroom without someone asking "Where's mommy?".

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 07/04/11 at 4:55 pm

The article I read said that the deep end had been "closed" because the water was so cloudy. They were afraid that lifeguards wouldn't be able to see someone in distress under the water in the deep end...DUH!!!  She had supposedly taken a neighbor boy there with her and when he couldn't find her when it was time to leave, he though she had already left or something?? This is just sad all around and COMPLETELY avoidable!

Written By: danootaandme on 07/04/11 at 5:34 pm

The article I read said that the deep end had been "closed" because the water was so cloudy. They were afraid that lifeguards wouldn't be able to see someone in distress under the water in the deep end...DUH!!!  She had supposedly taken a neighbor boy there with her and when he couldn't find her when it was time to leave, he though she had already left or something?? This is just sad all around and COMPLETELY avoidable!

Day after damage control is what that is. If the deep end had been closed they didn't tell anyone because the kid and the woman were going down a slide along with everyone else who was going down the slide located at the deep end.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/04/11 at 5:38 pm

So even if the lifeguards were doing their job they still wouldn't be able to see if anyone was in need of help.

The young boy told them that the woman who went down the slide after him needed help.  The lifeguard he talked to said she was going on break and tell the other lifeguard, he went to the other lifeguard who said the would do a check of the pool, which they never did.  The young boy told them she went down the slide, so they knew exactly where she went in the water, the deep end.  So, someone is in distress in the deep end of the pool, but since we can't see we will just ignore it?

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 07/04/11 at 6:34 pm

Day after damage control is what that is. If the deep end had been closed they didn't tell anyone because the kid and the woman were going down a slide along with everyone else who was going down the slide located at the deep end.
That's what I was wondering, but since there was no picture, I thought maybe the slide was in the middle or something???  Many pools that have both a slide and dicing board have the slide near the middle and the diving board at the deep end so I thought maybe that's how this one was...Like thishttp://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREWpuGfV8O3tMsy_WUAoahvnud8yhbCViMOVg0EFLAUbfCJxQW

Written By: danootaandme on 07/04/11 at 6:53 pm

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2011/07/04/lifeguards_at_fall_river_pool_had_guidelines_on_the_missing/

"And, she said, if someone reports a missing person, guards are supposed to clear the pool immediately and search the water, bathrooms, and grounds, and call 911."

There is a pool in my city.  Every two hours they clear the pool and the lifeguards get off of the chairs and do a visual inspection.  If someone tells them there is a problem, they blow their whistles and clear the pool.  The pool used to have a deep end, but, for safety, they filled it in to 5 feet all the way around.  I didn't know they still had pools that had a deep end. 

This is the pool in Fall River, the slide is at the deep end.

http://cbsboston.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/fallriverpool.jpg?w=300

Subject: Dirty pool, old man!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/04/11 at 9:01 pm

Grisly, horrifying, and sad. 

Those lifeguards should not only be fired, but I see possibilities for criminal negligence charges and a giant lawsuit.

A swimming pool should not have to "give up her dead." 

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/04/11 at 11:27 pm

The young boy told them that the woman who went down the slide after him needed help.  The lifeguard he talked to said she was going on break and tell the other lifeguard, he went to the other lifeguard who said the would do a check of the pool, which they never did.  The young boy told them she went down the slide, so they knew exactly where she went in the water, the deep end.  So, someone is in distress in the deep end of the pool, but since we can't see we will just ignore it?

No, no, no...I agree these guards were not doing their jobs and did not handle the situation correctly at all!!!! I just meant that even if this never happened to this poor woman, the life guards couldn't possibly do a decent job of watching the pool.  I mean, they could look at the pool and scan the surface of the water but because of the murkiness of the water they could not see if anyone was underneath.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/05/11 at 4:29 am

No, no, no...I agree these guards were not doing their jobs and did not handle the situation correctly at all!!!! I just meant that even if this never happened to this poor woman, the life guards couldn't possibly do a decent job of watching the pool.  I mean, they could look at the pool and scan the surface of the water but because of the murkiness of the water they could not see if anyone was underneath.

Oh, o.k.  The so called inspectors have been put on "administrative leave" as well.  We can assume they never even showed up before the pool opened, never did their job.  Unfortunately jobs like these are usually who you know, send the check to my house, jobs and the people involved will be quietly moved to another good paying, no show, job.

Written By: Howard on 07/05/11 at 6:34 am

What about the smell of the water? Was it filtered?  ???

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 07/05/11 at 10:52 am

What about the smell of the water? Was it filtered?  ???
I'm sure it was filtered and probably smelled of chlorine. The water usually gets cloudy because of an imbalance of the chemicals in the water. It doesn't necessarily mean it's "dirty", it's just not "right". It's usually not harmful, but SHOULD have been corrected before the pool was opened to the public to prevent something like this from happening...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/05/11 at 4:19 pm

Going on break?  Where is their professional pride?  What about a basic sense of human compassion?  I just don't understand it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/05/11 at 7:11 pm

I'm sure it was filtered and probably smelled of chlorine. The water usually gets cloudy because of an imbalance of the chemicals in the water. It doesn't necessarily mean it's "dirty", it's just not "right". It's usually not harmful, but SHOULD have been corrected before the pool was opened to the public to prevent something like this from happening...

Well hopefully they  scrubbed, sterilized, and disinfected the pool after this incident.

Written By: Howard on 07/05/11 at 7:38 pm

Well hopefully they  scrubbed, sterilized, and disinfected the pool after this incident.

It could have tons of germs and bacteria.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/05/11 at 8:31 pm

I don't think I'd wanna go swimming in that pool again even if the Good Lord came down and cleaned it himself! 

Until the day it's torn from its foundation, there will be rumors that pool is haunted.  If you swim to the far end the ghost of Josephs pulls your limbs down!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nervous.gif

When I was a kid the worst we had to worry about was somebody taking a leak in the pool.  Jeeeez!

Written By: danootaandme on 07/06/11 at 5:08 pm

The pool is still closed.  They will drain it, I am sure, considering there would be e-coli.  I hope that they also do what they have done to the other pools(along with inspecting them), fill it in so that it isn't any more than 5 feet all around.  These pools are mainly patronized by tweens.  They don't really need something more than that, and they could still keep the slide.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/06/11 at 6:00 pm

The pool is still closed.  They will drain it, I am sure, considering there would be e-coli.  I hope that they also do what they have done to the other pools(along with inspecting them), fill it in so that it isn't any more than 5 feet all around.  These pools are mainly patronized by tweens.  They don't really need something more than that, and they could still keep the slide.

If they make it too shallow you'll see spinal cord injuries...

Written By: danootaandme on 07/06/11 at 6:14 pm

The surrounding public pools are all 5ft only, have been for many years.  The one in my city used to be 15ft, but was filled in longer than I can remember ago, and I have been to more than of hotels where the depth isn't anymore than 6ft. There is a code of conduct, no running, no diving, no horseplay.  It is enforced, there isn't any problem.

Written By: Howard on 07/06/11 at 7:24 pm

and that could be dangerous.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/06/11 at 8:25 pm

The surrounding public pools are all 5ft only, have been for many years.  The one in my city used to be 15ft, but was filled in longer than I can remember ago, and I have been to more than of hotels where the depth isn't anymore than 6ft. There is a code of conduct, no running, no diving, no horseplay.  It is enforced, there isn't any problem.

Did they change pool depths for insurance/liability reasons?
???

Written By: danootaandme on 07/07/11 at 3:38 am

Did they change pool depths for insurance/liability reasons?
???

Yes. 

Written By: Howard on 07/07/11 at 6:58 am

some kids don't understand so they dive in away. ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 07/07/11 at 6:25 pm

some kids don't understand so they dive in away. ::)

Yes they do understand.  This has been the rule at the neighborhood pool for years, and the kids no that if they do dive they get thrown out.  After all these years we haven't had any substantial injuries at the pool.  No drownings, no head injuries, (knock on wood)

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/07/11 at 9:32 pm

Until the day it's torn from its foundation, there will be rumors that pool is haunted.  If you swim to the far end the ghost of Josephs pulls your limbs down! http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nervous.gif

Ghosts don't scare me.  Not after reading Chuck Pahlaniuk, Guts.  Go on.  Google it.

When I was a kid the worst we had to worry about was somebody taking a leak in the pool.  Jeeeez!

You're older than I am.  I grew up worrying aboutwishing I had the courage to do this!

http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/poolcad.jpg

*munches on his Baby Ruth bar*

It could have tons of germs and bacteria.

1PmMFaVzbzc

What?  It's no big deal!  

Written By: 80sfan on 07/07/11 at 9:51 pm

Ghosts don't scare me.  Not after reading Chuck Pahlaniuk, Guts.  Go on.  Google it.

You're older than I am.  I grew up worrying aboutwishing I had the courage to do this!

1PmMFaVzbzc

What?  It's no big deal!  

I haven't been to a pool in a year because of my overweight physique!  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/07/11 at 10:01 pm

Yes they do understand.  This has been the rule at the neighborhood pool for years, and the kids no that if they do dive they get thrown out.  After all these years we haven't had any substantial injuries at the pool.  No drownings, no head injuries, (knock on wood)

A bellyflop off the high-dive was a rite of passage when I was a kid!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/crying.gif

Written By: Howard on 07/08/11 at 6:46 am

1PmMFaVzbzc

What?  It's no big deal!  

or when someone peed in the ppol and wondered why the pool is all yellow.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/08/11 at 6:47 am

I used to do the bellyflop of the diving board.

Written By: Rhodes on 07/13/11 at 8:06 pm

well this is disturbing to say the least...

how is it that nobody noticed a body for that amount of time? I mean seriously, dead bodies don't sink, they float.... and murky water? what exactly was in that water to make it THAT murky?

methinks someones getting sued over this one. particularly given the fact that the lifeguards failed to do their job.

at least that might help prevent something like this from happening in the future

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/13/11 at 9:02 pm

how is it that nobody noticed a body for that amount of time? I mean seriously, dead bodies don't sink, they float.... and murky water? what exactly was in that water to make it THAT murky?

methinks someones getting sued over this one. particularly given the fact that the lifeguards failed to do their job.

at least that might help prevent something like this from happening in the future

They don't float right away.  Depending on conditions, it can take one to five+ days for a body to surface.  Bacteria has to build up and make the necrotic tissue expand, which allows it to float. 

You might remember the lyrics from Gordon Lightfoot's "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald."

"Superior, they say, never gives up her dead when the gales of November come early."

Lake Superior is so deep and so cold it does not support enough necrophagous bacteria to make dead bodies rise to the surface.
8-P

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/14/11 at 1:41 am

They don't float right away.  Depending on conditions, it can take one to five+ days for a body to surface.  Bacteria has to build up and make the necrotic tissue expand, which allows it to float. 

You might remember the lyrics from Gordon Lightfoot's "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald."

"Superior, they say, never gives up her dead when the gales of November come early."

Lake Superior is so deep and so cold it does not support enough necrophagous bacteria to make dead bodies rise to the surface.
8-P

Superior didn't give up the 30,000 tons of iron ore that my company had bought either.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 07/14/11 at 6:53 am

Plus,you have the smell too.  8-P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/14/11 at 10:34 am

Superior didn't give up the 30,000 tons of iron ore that my company had bought either.  :-\\

Taggart: Dang, that was lucky. Doggone near lost a four hundred dollar handcar.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/smokin.gif

Written By: Howard on 07/14/11 at 1:39 pm

Was anyone else swimming? ???

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/15/11 at 10:58 pm

Taggart: Dang, that was lucky. Doggone near lost a four hundred dollar handcar.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/smokin.gif

I see what you did there, and I LOL'd!

Written By: danootaandme on 07/16/11 at 3:12 pm

http://www.heraldnews.com/fall-river-pool-drowning/x920792909/Nearly-two-weeks-after-Fall-River-pool-death-water-now-being-drained

Two weeks later they have decided maybe it would be a good idea to drain the pool  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/16/11 at 5:09 pm

http://www.heraldnews.com/fall-river-pool-drowning/x920792909/Nearly-two-weeks-after-Fall-River-pool-death-water-now-being-drained

Two weeks later they have decided maybe it would be a good idea to drain the pool   ???

Damn, that's cold.  Who knows what sort of nasty pathogens have been multiplying in that pool the past two weeks.  8-P 

That whole pool needs to be cleaned, sterilized, and disinfected!

Written By: Howard on 07/16/11 at 7:35 pm

Damn, that's cold.  Who knows what sort of nasty pathogens have been multiplying in that pool the past two weeks.   8-P 

That whole pool needs to be cleaned, sterilized, and disinfected!

They need to use those filters to drain the pool.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/16/11 at 9:28 pm

Two weeks later they have decided maybe it would be a good idea to drain the pool   ???

Might find more bodies!
:o

Written By: Howard on 07/17/11 at 7:08 am

Might find more bodies!
:o

Who knows what might be lurking down there?

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/17/11 at 9:06 am

Who knows what might be lurking down there?

Cholera.  8-P

Written By: Howard on 07/17/11 at 12:22 pm

Cholera.   8-P

or maybe more dead bodies.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 07/24/11 at 2:35 pm

My son was at a pool party for the church youth group that he belongs to last week and did so many belly flops, he actually BRUISED himself :o  He's not sure if it was from the belly flops or his arm hitting himself, but his stomach is definitely bruised! :D

And, no, it was NOT a public pool and there were NO dead bodies ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/24/11 at 3:36 pm

My son was at a pool party for the church youth group that he belongs to last week and did so many belly flops, he actually BRUISED himself :o  He's not sure if it was from the belly flops or his arm hitting himself, but his stomach is definitely bruised! :D

And, no, it was NOT a public pool and there were NO dead bodies ;)

Oh yeah, that's the blue badge of courage!  We did all the best dives...The cannonball, the chest of drawers, the cast iron stove...
:D

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 07/26/11 at 2:22 pm

Oh yeah, that's the blue badge of courage!  We did all the best dives...The cannonball, the chest of drawers, the cast iron stove...
:D
He said something about a "dolphin"...I'd never heard of it ???  He does a MEAN cannonball....the kid's built like a brick wall! LOL!

Check for new replies or respond here...