inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Google + (Invite) Thread

Written By: Neo-Vista on 07/12/11 at 11:00 am

------------------------

Subject: Re: The Google + (Invite) Thread

Written By: snozberries on 07/12/11 at 3:23 pm

I've got an invite but I haven't checked it out yet to see if I'm gonna do it.

Written By: snozberries on 07/12/11 at 6:05 pm

I hate beg but I was wondering if you do, could I have one of your 5 invites? I'll then give out a couple of my invites to any 00 members who wanted to join.

I still haven't looked at it yet. I'll think about it tho.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/12/11 at 6:48 pm

What is Google +?

Written By: snozberries on 07/12/11 at 9:13 pm

According to my younger FB peeps its  essentially FB next gen.  No offense to the originater of this thread but I actually know you dag so if you're interested let me know. I may, or may not, look at it tomorrow.  Who am I kidding. Between my HP movie marathon and my dvr I probably won't have time. Lol

Written By: Dagwood on 07/12/11 at 9:23 pm

According to my younger FB peeps its  essentially FB next gen.  No offense to the originater of this thread but I actually know you dag so if you're interested let me know. I may, or may not, look at it tomorrow.  Who am I kidding. Between my HP movie marathon and my dvr I probably won't have time. Lol

If you do, I would like to check it out, too.  What could it hurt?

Written By: snozberries on 07/12/11 at 9:26 pm

If you do, I would like to check it out, too.  What could it hurt?

I can't imagine leaving FB. I mean millionaire, feud, jeopardy....what would I do without my daily games.  Then again I did leave myspace but I never quite got hooked on twitter. 

Written By: Dagwood on 07/12/11 at 9:57 pm

I can't imagine leaving FB. I mean millionaire, feud, jeopardy....what would I do without my daily games.  Then again I did leave myspace but I never quite got hooked on twitter. 

I know.  I am stuck on FB, too.

Written By: Neo-Vista on 07/12/11 at 10:34 pm

According to my younger FB peeps its  essentially FB next gen.  No offense to the originater of this thread but I actually know you dag so if you're interested let me know. I may, or may not, look at it tomorrow.  Who am I kidding. Between my HP movie marathon and my dvr I probably won't have time. Lol

Actually you probably do. I've been a full member since 2004 and had at one point a couple thousand posts.

This is why my attempt at reestablishing myself here is a failure. I can't restart after 7 years and be seen as an outside nooby,even by those who came here years after me. I guess this is my cue to move on whether I want to or not. Bye

Written By: Jessica on 07/12/11 at 10:37 pm

Before you flounce, were you here under a different name at any time?

Written By: snozberries on 07/12/11 at 10:54 pm

Actually you probably do. I've been a full member since 2004 and had at one point a couple thousand posts.

This is why my attempt at reestablishing myself here is a failure. I can't restart after 7 years and be seen as an outside nooby,even by those who came here years after me. I guess this is my cue to move on whether I want to or not. Bye

I didn't say move on... I said I know Dag- if I know you tell me who you are....you said I get five of those suckers... if I know you you get one if I don't know you I will continue to think about it.....

Written By: snozberries on 07/12/11 at 10:55 pm

Before you flounce, were you here under a different name at any time?

Judging by the sensitivity level...JohnAvery1994  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 07/12/11 at 10:57 pm

Proud member since 2004 but as ChronoShadow only six posts since February 05, 2010, 16:06:37

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/13/11 at 12:26 am

What is Google +?

There's an xkcd for everything, and Google+ is no exception:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/googleplus.png

It's like Facebook, but it's not Facebook.

Failbook grew out of university culture, at which there was an underlying assumption that there was only one fundamental level of friendship: people you hung out with. 

Google+ recognized the reality that around the time you get out of college, (and/or as soon as your parents get on the 'net), you have a need to compartmentalize.  Your Mom's a friend.  Your drinking buddies are friends.  Your co-workers are friends.  But your Mom and your co-workers don't need (or want!) to know about your mating habits.  Your coworkers and drinking buddies don't need to know about your family's random bits of drama.  And your parents and drinking buddies don't give a rat's ass about how many cows got orked at the office party.

With the open source community's Diaspora project pretty much spinning its wheels, Google+ is about the only alternative.  This Wired article goes into deep detail about the philosophy, business plan, and design decisions behind Google+.

Written By: Creeder on 07/13/11 at 4:49 am

Google+ will flop.
Facebook will live forever.

Written By: karen on 07/13/11 at 10:55 am

Don't be so touchy.  Since you have a new user name now of course no one recognises you.  Either tell us your old name or PM someone who you used to chat with and 'reveal' yourself.  From the few posts I recall you posting recently I think you have something to add to the boards.

Written By: karen on 07/13/11 at 10:56 am

Google+ recognized the reality that around the time you get out of college, (and/or as soon as your parents get on the 'net), you have a need to compartmentalize.  Your Mom's a friend.  Your drinking buddies are friends.  Your co-workers are friends.  But your Mom and your co-workers don't need (or want!) to know about your mating habits.  Your coworkers and drinking buddies don't need to know about your family's random bits of drama.  And your parents and drinking buddies don't give a rat's ass about how many cows got orked at the office party.

That actually sounds a useful addition

Written By: Jessica on 07/13/11 at 1:20 pm

Proud member since 2004 but as ChronoShadow only six posts since February 05, 2010, 16:06:37

He deleted them.  He had more.  Ah well.

Written By: snozberries on 07/13/11 at 2:24 pm

He deleted them.  He had more.  Ah well.

Not sure why he got so sensitive all of the sudden. 

Written By: Neo-Vista on 07/13/11 at 5:29 pm

Well since the account hasn't been deleted yet I figured I'd give a more level headed explanation.

First this thread wasn't meant to try and bully any one member into doing anything. I figured that over the next few days there might've been a handful of invitees who at least had one spare invite. I figured I or someone else could take that invite, join, and use at least a couple of invites to give out to a couple of other 00rs. They in turn could do the same until every 00r who wanted an invite could get one- ie 1=2=4=8=16 etc. My intent wasn't to force anyone into joining Google+. I just put in a request that if someone was indeed joining and had a spare invite (everyone is given 5), that maybe they could send me one.

But maybe this is a moot point. There doesn't seem to be much interest in the site here. Frankly this situation has become (to me anyway) way more hassle than it's worth. It was a great idea at the time but in review not so much.  And spidey sense may be telling me that the rush elsewhere to gain an invite might be a rush towards disaster.

My angst was the realization that my attempt at recognition had failed and that what I once had would never be again. I never was established like some of the icons here such Whistledog, Cat, or Max. But over the years (in different forms)I did post quite a bit off and on, got a medal, and even had a couple of Myspace and later Facebook from here. That was before I had to make an identity purge. A year or two ago I started a new ID but that didn't go well and I was pretty much burn out of the internet. However recently I've jump started my internet life and decided to try things here again. I changed my name to a better one and figured my icon and a few other subtle clues would've let others know I'm back in town without making a big fuss and spelling out all over the internet. But I think maybe it was a situation where I was more a legend in my own mind.

The comment about how one poster was recognizable in comparison to some clown (me), proved that I had failed and that I couldn't regain what I had lost. This was in combination with other comments elsewhere by other posters. While I wasn't everyone's friend I did have interaction with a lot of people here. After the years invested here I couldn't go back to be a nooby who has to prove himself to the community all over again.

So I'll give up the ship and let this persona go. I'v got another minor ID which is slightly established and isn't attached to the main persona. I might use that to interact with community in the future on its own account.           

Written By: snozberries on 07/13/11 at 6:17 pm

Well since the account hasn't been deleted yet I figured I'd give a more level headed explanation.

First this thread wasn't meant to try and bully any one member into doing anything. I figured that over the next few days there might've been a handful of invitees who at least had one spare invite. I figured I or someone else could take that invite, join, and use at least a couple of invites to give out to a couple of other 00rs. They in turn could do the same until every 00r who wanted an invite could get one- ie 1=2=4=8=16 etc. My intent wasn't to force anyone into joining Google+. I just put in a request that if someone was indeed joining and had a spare invite (everyone is given 5), that maybe they could send me one.

But maybe this is a moot point. There doesn't seem to be much interest in the site here. Frankly this situation has become (to me anyway) way more hassle than it's worth. It was a great idea at the time but in review not so much.  And spidey sense may be telling me that the rush elsewhere to gain an invite might be a rush towards disaster.

My angst was the realization that my attempt at recognition had failed and that what I once had would never be again. I never was established like some of the icons here such Whistledog, Cat, or Max. But over the years (in different forms)I did post quite a bit off and on, got a medal, and even had a couple of Myspace and later Facebook from here. That was before I had to make an identity purge. A year or two ago I started a new ID but that didn't go well and I was pretty much burn out of the internet. However recently I've jump started my internet life and decided to try things here again. I changed my name to a better one and figured my icon and a few other subtle clues would've let others know I'm back in town without making a big fuss and spelling out all over the internet. But I think maybe it was a situation where I was more a legend in my own mind.

The comment about how one poster was recognizable in comparison to some clown (me), proved that I had failed and that I couldn't regain what I had lost. This was in combination with other comments elsewhere by other posters. While I wasn't everyone's friend I did have interaction with a lot of people here. After the years invested here I couldn't go back to be a nooby who has to prove himself to the community all over again.

So I'll give up the ship and let this persona go. I'v got another minor ID which is slightly established and isn't attached to the main persona. I might use that to interact with community in the future on its own account.           

Is this McFly? ya know... if it is or if it ain't you really did yourself in on this one... you got all hypersensitive with no provocation.

you go away and come back with all these cryptic signs of your past persona....

I changed my name to a better one and figured my icon and a few other subtle clues

I have no idea what ChronoShadow means, I don't know what icon you are referring and apparently your subtle clues were too subtle.

I get what you wanted to do with the sharing of the invites but the truth is, if I choose to use the system, I will give to my friends first. you were the first one here to even mention google chrome... I still haven't looked at it but I know one thing... Dag expressed interest. I know who she is so she will get an invite from me over some person I don't know.... you assumed I knew who you were....it wasn't until the very last post (that long one above this) that I have a vague clue of who you might be.... maybe I'm wrong. McFly joined in 05 but then again maybe you joined in 04 and changed to McFly in 05....what I do know is McFly stopped posting Jan 31 10 and ChronoShadow started posting in Feb 10..... 

What I do know, if this is you Jesse, is that you haven't matured much in the last year and a half.... I was over my anger but it's these kind of antics that bring it back again...

well whoever you are obviously it isn't working for you

A year or two ago I started a new ID but that didn't go well and I was pretty much burn out of the internet.

maybe you should give it up and just come back as your original self... or maybe you should look inside yourself and see why, no matter who you turn up as, you continue to get pushed......obviously it's not the user name but the user that keeps turning us off....

The comment about how one poster was recognizable in comparison to some clown (me)

if this woops.....read my post and change McFly to your name....tho I can't see when you last posted... I honestly don't remember but basically everything else I said still applies.....

and if this is John Avery 94..............go away kid you bother me.

if I'm wrong and this is someone else man up and tell us who you are!  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/13/11 at 6:25 pm

It's a familiar voice.  Could be a few different people.  Does it matter exactly who?

Written By: snozberries on 07/13/11 at 6:30 pm

Perhaps I should clarify two things here..... 

A) my initial post read

No offense to the originater of this thread but I actually know you dag so if you're interested let me know.

and

B)  I consider most people on this site fellow 00ze posters...  I consider a handful "almost like friends"  and another handful "actual friends"  there are a few people who post here I have interacted on a deeper level so I love them like family!  Dag falls somewhere on the list between actual friend and fellow 00ze poster.....but closer to the friend side of the scale than the fellow poster side. 

my guess is even if the OP did indeed identify himself he would fall only in the fellow poster list....and based on the fact that I don't really know who it is he's probably not that high on the list of people I interact with....    (notice I didn't preface that remark with a "no offense" qualifier.....yeah I'm totally over this discussion)

Written By: snozberries on 07/13/11 at 6:32 pm

It's a familiar voice.  Could be a few different people.  Does it matter exactly who?

not to me... not really....but since he seems to think we should know who he is it would be nice if he'd just say it. 

I had absolutely no ill will to the poster and did consider sharing the wealth (if you will) but I don't like how this got twisted into something that it absolutely wasn't

Written By: Neo-Vista on 07/13/11 at 6:37 pm

No I'm not any of those mentioned. Apologies to McFly or John ,and you, for getting dragged into something that had nothing to do with them. Unfortunately I wish I could've "manned" up but then I wouldn't have had to eliminate my main persona due to an an event that had nothing to do with this site. Anyway at least the past remains where it belongs.

Anyway I also have to make an apology.  My unfortunately late Spidey sense was right. I received an invite elsewhere. After checking it out it seemed to be something I'm not comfortable with and this viral event may be a massive data sweep.

Adios and all that jazz! End Transmission........

Written By: snozberries on 07/13/11 at 7:03 pm

No I'm not any of those mentioned. Apologies to McFly or John ,and you, for getting dragged into something that had nothing to do with them. Unfortunately I wish I could've "manned" up but then I wouldn't have had to eliminate my main persona due to an an event that had nothing to do with this site. Anyway at least the past remains where it belongs.

Anyway I also have to make an apology.  My unfortunately late Spidey sense was right. I received an invite elsewhere. After checking it out it seemed to be something I'm not comfortable with and this viral event may be a massive data sweep.

Adios and all that jazz! End Transmission........

my last guess is MrCleveland  but honestly it doesn't matter to me in the slightest....I'm done......gotta go watch more Harry Potter....

Written By: whistledog on 07/13/11 at 7:45 pm

If you say you were a former member, that we should know, how's about stop jerking us around and tell us who it is that we should know?

If it's not worth your time to grace us with your presence, then quit complaining and just go.

Written By: Jessica on 07/13/11 at 11:37 pm

http://sadtrombone.com/

Written By: jebusa on 07/14/11 at 3:29 pm

I used to come to this site a lot back in the mid 00's era.  I never posted much and I don't even remember if I was ever officially a member, but I remember reading a ton of posts by a few specific people.  I believe their names were something to the effect of Roadgeek, velvetoneo, and I will not name the third one, because for whatever reason I get the feeling that people are afraid mentioning him around here.  Let's just say he shares his name with a movie that's about 10 years old...Maybe this mystery poster is one of those three people.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/14/11 at 4:24 pm

I am honored that you think of me as an icon around here but it is not something that I set out to become. I come here because it is fun and there are a lot of really good people around here who I like to converse with-and some I have actually met in person. But, I have NEVER pretended to be someone else and every time I have posted something-I ALWAYS sign my name so everyone knows that it is from ME! A long time ago, there was a thread about posting as "guests" so every post was somewhat anonymous. Well, stupid me signed my name out of habit so it just kind of defeated the purpose.  :-[

My point is, you expect everyone to KNOW who you are and you are upset that we don't know. I recall you having a different name just a couple of months ago (can't recall what it is). We are not mind readers. And we also do not like people who play games with us. There was once a guy who was a very active member. But, it was later discovered that he was also pretended to be another board member. Those are the type of games that we deplore. If you want us to give you a change-then let us give you a chance and stop playing games with us. Either you want us to know who you are or you wouldn't have brought it up in the first place.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/14/11 at 4:25 pm

I used to come to this site a lot back in the mid 00's era.  I never posted much and I don't even remember if I was ever officially a member, but I remember reading a ton of posts by a few specific people.  I believe their names were something to the effect of Roadgeek, velvetoneo, and I will not name the third one, because for whatever reason I get the feeling that people are afraid mentioning him around here.  Let's just say he shares his name with a movie that's about 10 years old...Maybe this mystery poster is one of those three people.

Why don't you join? We don't bite...hard.  :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/14/11 at 4:41 pm

I am honored that you think of me as an icon around here but it is not something that I set out to become. I come here because it is fun and there are a lot of really good people around here who I like to converse with-and some I have actually met in person. But, I have NEVER pretended to be someone else and every time I have posted something-I ALWAYS sign my name so everyone knows that it is from ME! A long time ago, there was a thread about posting as "guests" so every post was somewhat anonymous. Well, stupid me signed my name out of habit so it just kind of defeated the purpose.  :-[

My point is, you expect everyone to KNOW who you are and you are upset that we don't know. I recall you having a different name just a couple of months ago (can't recall what it is). We are not mind readers. And we also do not like people who play games with us. There was once a guy who was a very active member. But, it was later discovered that he was also pretended to be another board member. Those are the type of games that we deplore. If you want us to give you a change-then let us give you a chance and stop playing games with us. Either you want us to know who you are or you wouldn't have brought it up in the first place.

Cat

Karma to my firend Cat who is exactly who she says she is......except when she's not  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 07/14/11 at 4:41 pm

Why don't you join? We don't bite...hard.  :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

I think he meant the movie was famous 30 yrs ago... I think that was robocop 20kabillion.....  ::) :P

Written By: jebusa on 07/14/11 at 6:52 pm

Lol, I've just never been much of a forum poster.  I appreciate the hospitality though :) Maybe I will join one day!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/14/11 at 6:55 pm

Lol, I've just never been much of a forum poster.  I appreciate the hospitality though :) Maybe I will join one day!

We also have an arcade.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/15/11 at 6:42 am

think about it Jeb. :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/15/11 at 10:57 pm

What is Google +?

https://plus.google.com/photos/100238778462210489846/albums/5629087019815403777

(Clicky on big image in upper left, proceed through slideshow.)

That's Google+.

Written By: Henk on 07/16/11 at 2:15 am

Well, since the OP has decided to delete his account it is now become clear that he (also) posted as Neo-Vista.

Written By: snozberries on 07/16/11 at 3:19 am

Well, since the OP has decided to delete his account it is now become clear that he (also) posted as Neo-Vista.

I don't know who that is either

Written By: Henk on 07/16/11 at 8:56 am

I don't know who that is either

Shame on you! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSSt96CrMfI

Written By: snozberries on 07/16/11 at 2:39 pm

Shame on you! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSSt96CrMfI

more like a legend in their own mind.... I mean seriously---they've never spoken of me so no wonder I never heard of them!  ;)

Written By: Henk on 07/16/11 at 2:46 pm

more like a legend in their own mind.... I mean seriously---they've never spoken of me so no wonder I never heard of them!  ;)

Well, there's no song with that title that I know of...so...that's why.

Written By: snozberries on 07/16/11 at 2:53 pm

Well, there's no song with that title that I know of...so...that's why.

there is..... a really crappy song by a group named Spazz....it's about 35 seconds of screaming...you know that death metal punk ass whack music?  yeah my ears started to bleed when I listened to it....and the lyrics are, well.... lets just say I didn't really feel like posting them  ;)

Written By: Henk on 07/16/11 at 3:09 pm

there is..... a really crappy song by a group named Spazz....it's about 35 seconds of screaming...you know that death metal punk ass whack music?   yeah my ears started to bleed when I listened to it....and the lyrics are, well.... lets just say I didn't really feel like posting them  ;)

Like I said: there's no song with that title.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 07/16/11 at 4:05 pm

Like I said: there's no song with that title.  ;D

;D

Check for new replies or respond here...