inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Harry Potter film 'breaks box office records' in US

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/17/11 at 6:26 am

The final Harry Potter movie has broken the record for the biggest first day box office sales in the US and Canada, according to studio estimates.

The film's distributor, Warner Bros, reports that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, made $92.1m (£57m) in North America on Friday.

The previous single-day record belonged to The Twilight Saga: New Moon, which made $72.7m (£45m) on its opening day.

The Potter film is the eighth movie in the franchise.

The seventh book in JK Rowling's popular series was split into two films.

Fans around the world queued for hours to be among the first to see the film.

The entire Potter film series has so far earned more than £4bn worldwide, not including the final film's takings so far.

It has been 10 years since the first movie in the series, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, was released.

It made stars of its young cast, Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint.

Subject: Re: Harry Potter film 'breaks box office records' in US

Written By: snozberries on 07/17/11 at 11:27 am

I wanted to go to the midnight showing but I didn't have any friends avail to go with. I didn't want to wait in line alone it gets boring when you're there all day by yourself.

There were theaters in LA (and other big cities) that were doing a whole HP marathon.

on Monday they showed Philosopher's Stone (that's for you Philip  ;)  )  and Chamber of Secrets.
on Tuesday they showed Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire
On Wed. they showed Order of the Phoenix (my fav) and Half Blood Prince
On Thursday they showed Deathly Hallows part one and then people got to stay for the midnight screening of part 2.

I wanted to go but it would have been a 3 hour round trip drive each way and I didn't want to ignore the dog so I stayed home and did my own marathon!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/17/11 at 11:59 am

I wanted to go to the midnight showing but I didn't have any friends avail to go with. I didn't want to wait in line alone it gets boring when you're there all day by yourself.

There were theaters in LA (and other big cities) that were doing a whole HP marathon.

on Monday they showed Philosopher's Stone (that's for you Philip  ;)  )   and Chamber of Secrets.
on Tuesday they showed Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire
On Wed. they showed Order of the Phoenix (my fav) and Half Blood Prince
On Thursday they showed Deathly Hallows part one and then people got to stay for the midnight screening of part 2.

I wanted to go but it would have been a 3 hour round trip drive each way and I didn't want to ignore the dog so I stayed home and did my own marathon!

When the last one comes out on DVD we, too will have our own marathon. As soon as we can preorder it from Amazon, we will do so-that way we will have it when it first comes out. We have done that with almost all of them.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/17/11 at 12:05 pm

When the last one comes out on DVD we, too will have our own marathon. As soon as we can preorder it from Amazon, we will do so-that way we will have it when it first comes out. We have done that with almost all of them.

Cat

Honestly it's so worth seeing this last one in the theater...it pops off the big screen! The special effects are pretty awesome!

Written By: 80sfan on 07/17/11 at 12:48 pm

Honestly it's so worth seeing this last one in the theater...it pops off the big screen! The special effects are pretty awesome!

The series is awesome!  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 07/17/11 at 1:31 pm

The series is awesome!  ;)

it really is... I loved this last one so much i plan on going and seeing it again (in the theater)

Written By: 80sfan on 07/17/11 at 2:39 pm

it really is... I loved this last one so much i plan on going and seeing it again (in the theater)

Man, there won't be a series like Harry Potter probably for at least another century or so. JK Rowling really is a genius!

Written By: karen on 07/17/11 at 4:41 pm

I am probably going to see it tomorrow.  Depending on what plans Elizabeth makes with her friends

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/17/11 at 7:30 pm

I have only seen this one on the big screen and it wasn't a theater, it was a drive-in, and it was completely worth it!  We went to the midnight viewing, but we did not have to wait in line.  We packed up the car at 9:15 and left the house at 9:45 the drive-in opened at 10, there was a line of cars in front of us, but we got amazing center view on the second terrace (second row), it was great!  We were happy with it and it was not 3-d.  I would re-do it again!

Written By: snozberries on 07/17/11 at 7:57 pm

I have only seen this one on the big screen and it wasn't a theater, it was a drive-in, and it was completely worth it!  We went to the midnight viewing, but we did not have to wait in line.  We packed up the car at 9:15 and left the house at 9:45 the drive-in opened at 10, there was a line of cars in front of us, but we got amazing center view on the second terrace (second row), it was great!  We were happy with it and it was not 3-d.  I would re-do it again!

I saw it in 3d....3D actually works well for this film... it's not necessary but I did enjoy it (in 3D) more than I thought I would...

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/17/11 at 8:19 pm

I saw it in 3d....3D actually works well for this film... it's not necessary but I did enjoy it (in 3D) more than I thought I would...
I have been soo underwhelmed with the 3-D thing since Avatar and How to Train your Dragon.  I hate spending the extra bucks, and then be unimpressed.  I kept hearing mixed.  I am glad I got (as well as the girls) experience the midnight premier of Harry Potter.  Like I said, if we had to wait in line and it was too cashey we probably wouldn't have done it.  This just worked for us and we got to say we did it O0  (the 9 year old and 7 year old were ecstatic)!

Written By: snozberries on 07/17/11 at 8:57 pm

I have been soo underwhelmed with the 3-D thing since Avatar and How to Train your Dragon.  I hate spending the extra bucks, and then be unimpressed.  I kept hearing mixed.  I am glad I got (as well as the girls) experience the midnight premier of Harry Potter.  Like I said, if we had to wait in line and it was too cashey we probably wouldn't have done it.  This just worked for us and we got to say we did it O0  (the 9 year old and 7 year old were ecstatic)!

The last 3D film I saw (that I remember anyway) was Jaws in 3D.  I think I was expecting 3D to be old school 'oooh look at the random object floating at you' but it's not that. There's some of that but it's the visual depth of the sets. The way the actors and special effects pop. I loved it it was gorgeous and exciting  to see the Harry potter world that way.

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/17/11 at 9:42 pm

The last 3D film I saw (that I remember anyway) was Jaws in 3D.  I think I was expecting 3D to be old school 'oooh look at the random object floating at you' but it's not that. There's some of that but it's the visual depth of the sets. The way the actors and special effects pop. I loved it it was gorgeous and exciting  to see the Harry potter world that way.
We saw avatar and How to train your Dragon in 3-D and they were both awesome.  Then we saw Rio, Tangled, Yogi Bear, and  Pirates of the Caribbean (the last one), and Chronicles of Narnia,Voyage of the Dawn Treader and all just were so so.... nothing really seemed to be impressive about them.  I know lots of them were cartoons, but really How to Train Your Dragon was AWE inspiring with the 3-D technology in the flight and fight scenes

Written By: whistledog on 07/17/11 at 9:42 pm

I saw all the people in line waiting to see this film.  I seriously wanted to don a Darth Vader costume and be like "Oops, wrong night"

A movie like this, would look cool in 3-D, but when I see it, I will just watch the 2-D version.  Some movies need to be in 3-D like 'Tron Legacy' or maybe even 'Cowboys and Aliens'

Written By: snozberries on 07/18/11 at 2:39 am

I saw all the people in line waiting to see this film.  I seriously wanted to don a Darth Vader costume and be like "Oops, wrong night"

;D

Written By: 80sfan on 07/18/11 at 4:15 am

I don't think HP will beat Avatar, but I predict it will make between $400-$500 million in the US of A.

Written By: karen on 07/19/11 at 2:20 am

We went to see it yesterday.  I got there a bit later than I'd planned to and started panicking that all the seats would be taken.  However we had our choice of seating and the screen was nowhere near full.

It was a good movie, though I think the battle scenes could have been better.  We also had one or two quibbles with book to film interpretation!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/19/11 at 11:15 am

I really hope that they didn't cut one of my favorite things from the book-where Neville pulls the Gryffindor Sword from the Sorting Hat. That was just SOOOOO great-proving that Neville is truly a Gryffindor. (I don't care if I do spoil that for anyone). If they cut that from the movie, I would be SOOOOO disappointed.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/19/11 at 4:35 pm

I really hope that they didn't cut one of my favorite things from the book-where Neville pulls the Gryffindor Sword from the Sorting Hat. That was just SOOOOO great-proving that Neville is truly a Gryffindor. (I don't care if I do spoil that for anyone). If they cut that from the movie, I would be SOOOOO disappointed.

Cat

Would it spoil it for if I told whether or not you'd be disappointed?

They did get my favorite line "Not my daughter you bitch". Man mama weasley don't mess around lol

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/19/11 at 6:29 pm

Would it spoil it for if I told whether or not you'd be disappointed?

Hmmmm, tough one. I really can't imagine that NOT being in it because I think it is so crucial to one aspect of the story (unless they rewrote some major story lines  :-\\ )

They did get my favorite line "Not my daughter you bitch". Man mama weasley don't mess around lol

Glad of that.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...