inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is "Ethnic" Hair?

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/30/11 at 8:21 am

I'm sitting here and an infomercial comes on... some sort of hair elixir called Wen.  They got Alyssa Milano  :-* and Holly Robinson Pete on there hawking the stuff.

Anyway they are saying that it is "good for all kinds of hair, including Ethnic and African-American hair".

WTF is "ethnic" hair?  And while it works on African-American hair, would it work for Jamaican hair, Haitian hair, or African-Canadian hair? ???

Subject: Re: What is "Ethnic" Hair?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/30/11 at 9:11 pm

I dunno, maybe it's Canadian hair.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 07/30/11 at 11:40 pm

I thought African-American hair WAS "ethnic" hair???

From what I've heard, Wen is basically what used to be called "cream rinse"...it's nothing but watered-down conditioner ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/31/11 at 12:09 am

Could be your Asian and Latin American varieties of hair?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

Written By: snozberries on 07/31/11 at 2:08 am

I'm sitting here and an infomercial comes on... some sort of hair elixir called Wen.  They got Alyssa Milano  :-* and Holly Robinson Pete on there hawking the stuff.

Anyway they are saying that it is "good for all kinds of hair, including Ethnic and African-American hair".

WTF is "ethnic" hair?  And while it works on African-American hair, would it work for Jamaican hair, Haitian hair, or African-Canadian hair? ???

The world has become so pc that African-American is the term for black folks that's why I  am strongly against the term. I prefer black. But I don't rule the world so I accept he fact that the rest of world is seeing it this way.  Basically the stuff "supposedly" worse on black hair. Period.

And please don't post what about blonde, brown. And red hair? It's an old joke and it's never been very funny nor original

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/31/11 at 2:14 am

And please don't post what about blonde, brown. And red hair? It's an old joke and it's never been very funny nor original

?  ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/31/11 at 8:08 am

The world has become so pc that African-American is the term for black folks that's why I  am strongly against the term. I prefer black. But I don't rule the world so I accept he fact that the rest of world is seeing it this way.  Basically the stuff "supposedly" worse on black hair. Period.

One time a very PC undergrad scolded me for calling a professor "Black" instead of "African-American."
"It's AF-RI-CAN-AM-ER-IC-AN, mmkay," she chided me like I was five.
"But, but, Dr. Ibori's from Nigeria!" I protested.
:D

Written By: gumbypiz on 07/31/11 at 4:13 pm

Well, "ethnic" is probably something other than "Caucasian" hair I'm guessing.

For those that don't already know, you gotta understand hair is a touchy issue with "African-Americans" (I say Black, thank you). Black hair is either "good" or not, good hair is described as being like "white peoples" or straight and manageable as opposed to curly, kinky and such. My Mom's from the south, and tells me horror stories of what they did to their hair back in the day (and still do as a matter of fact).

You must know this, didn't you see Chris Rock's movie "Good Hair"? The only reason afros became popular in the 70's was kind of rebellion of the black good hair vs bad hair thing that has gone on for so long.

Black women (and men) as a consumers spend much $$ (and subject themselves to much pain) straightening (frying your hair and your scalp w/lye) and flat/hot ironing, or hot combing the crap out of their hair so that it is "good" and straight.

We may have made some progress in civil rights, but we've a long way to go with dealing with our identity and our hair...
And I don't even want to go into what happens if you get a black woman’s hair wet, look out... ::)

Written By: snozberries on 07/31/11 at 4:45 pm

Well said... I have spent hours I mean HOURS in the chair getting my hair relaxed....as a kid they used to shuffle me aside for the adults who came in so I'd get there at 9 in the morning and not be finished by 6 or 7 at night. . . as a result I hate going to the salon now (although now it's only 4 or so hours for me because I'm now the adult so I don't get cast aside any longer) but still I detest it....problem is I also detest "natural" hair... I'm rocking a fro right now and it's driving me nuts. I cannot stand my hair. Problem is I hate both getting my hair processed and having a fro equally so neither one outweighs the other.... actually I suppose I hate the salon more otherwise I wouldn't have this fro right now  :D

not only don't get my hair wet....don't touch my hair. I hate it when people touch my hair!

?  ???

sometimes I talk to people about black hair and they, trying to be funny, go on about blonde hair and red hair etc.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/31/11 at 4:56 pm

I like black hair that looks like black hair. A good tight 'fro or nicely done rows or braids always look nice to me. Not very big on the Coolio look though.  I was OK with Jerry Curl back in the 80's because it was not pretending to not be 'black'.

When I see somebody with a conk, or worse dyed blonde or some "white looking" color, I just SMDH.  I mean, the hair texture is still that of black hair. Who they trying to fool? (Bo Derek looked equally silly with her corn rows).

I don't know how they straighten hair nowadays, but back in the day it was done with a mix of lye and potatoes. The longer you kept that junk in your hair the straighter it got. But it burned like HELL !  :o. You then had to rinse it out FAST with LOTS of water.

Written By: snozberries on 07/31/11 at 5:13 pm

I like black hair that looks like black hair. A good tight 'fro or nicely done rows or braids always look nice to me. Not very big on the Coolio look though.  I was OK with Jerry Curl back in the 80's because it was not pretending to not be 'black'.

When I see somebody with a conk, or worse dyed blonde or some "white looking" color, I just SMDH.  I mean, the hair texture is still that of black hair. Who they trying to fool? (Bo Derek looked equally silly with her corn rows).

I don't know how they straighten hair nowadays, but back in the day it was done with a mix of lye and potatoes. The longer you kept that junk in your hair the straighter it got. But it burned like HELL !   :o. You then had to rinse it out FAST with LOTS of water.

chemical relaxers, some have must still have lye because I see the boxes that say no lye relaxers....  ;D  that shyt burns like a mother!

plus I have burnt my head (and hands) uncountable number of times using a hot comb and/or curling

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/31/11 at 5:50 pm

http://celibacy.info/Dreadlocks1.jpg

Written By: gumbypiz on 07/31/11 at 6:09 pm

Nasty, at least from the few that I knew that were um, "not black" that had dreads...the things they used to dread them up was what was so nasty, I won't even bother to describe they thought was needed to get it like that. Then they never washed it either.

I had dreads myself for about three years back in the early 90's, I used dread wax & oil to do it (and yes I washed it), don't recommend it today. Dreads get caught in things...ever had a chunk of dread hair pull out of your scalp after getting caught in a sunroof? Not fun, and I still have a thin spot of hair from that till this day.

As a black man, I've gone through it all, dreads in the 90's, jheri curl in the 80's and a nice big (damn that’s big) afro in the 70's (as big as Tito Jacksons, probably bigger ;)).

The worst had to be the jheri curl, you have to use a lye based relaxer to get it that way, (and yes that stuff burns like all hellfire) but the worst part was that you had to keep it moisturized so you had to soak you hair with the "activator" goop. Well I had mine during the cold winter months (bad idea), and between "juicing" up my hair in the morning and the cold walk to school, well, my hair, the jheri curls FROZE. ;D
I'd be in first period with either people crunching the frozen icicles of frozen jheri curl juice or sit there with the gunk dripping all over my shoulders as it melted.

Never again.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/31/11 at 6:16 pm

The worst had to be the jheri curl, ....... I'd be in first period with either people crunching the frozen icicles of frozen jheri curl juice or sit there with the gunk dripping all over my shoulders as it melted.

http://molecularshyness.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/jheri-curl-stain1.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 07/31/11 at 6:27 pm

http://molecularshyness.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/jheri-curl-stain1.jpg

let your soul glow!  ;D

I was going to say the worst was the state of all your pillows and the ring around the back of your clothes around the neck....that crap never came out.... I never experienced it in the winter but the hot summer sucked because then there was the sweet smell of activator and sweat in the air!  8-P

Nasty, at least from the few that I knew that were um, "not black" that had dreads...the things they used to dread them up was what was so nasty, I won't even bother to describe they thought was needed to get it like that. Then they never washed it either.

I had dreads myself for about three years back in the early 90's, I used dread wax & oil to do it (and yes I washed it), don't recommend it today. Dreads get caught in things...ever had a chunk of dread hair pull out of your scalp after getting caught in a sunroof? Not fun, and I still have a thin spot of hair from that till this day.

As a black man, I've gone through it all, dreads in the 90's, jheri curl in the 80's and a nice big (damn that’s big) afro in the 70's (as big as Tito Jacksons, probably bigger ;)).

The worst had to be the jheri curl, you have to use a lye based relaxer to get it that way, (and yes that stuff burns like all hellfire) but the worst part was that you had to keep it moisturized so you had to soak you hair with the "activator" goop. Well I had mine during the cold winter months (bad idea), and between "juicing" up my hair in the morning and the cold walk to school, well, my hair, the jheri curls FROZE. ;D
I'd be in first period with either people crunching the frozen icicles of frozen jheri curl juice or sit there with the gunk dripping all over my shoulders as it melted.

Never again.

I miss my dreds.... they were a bitch to maintain especially in the 80% white 19.9% Hispanic Santa Barbara area where I reside.... so difficult finding anyone who does black hair... I had to drive an hour to get my hair done....that's another reason why I hate salons... I finally found someone in town who does black hair but she's expensive....It's a vicious cycle

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/31/11 at 6:32 pm

Never again.

The white people dreads you see following the PHISH tour bus just knot their hair up and never wash it.  Now and again they'll dunk their heads in the creek to disperse some of the bugs running around up there, but that's about it!
8-P

Written By: Dagwood on 07/31/11 at 6:34 pm

The white people dreads you see following the PHISH tour bus just knot their hair up and never wash it.  Now and again they'll dunk their heads in the creek to disperse some of the bugs running around up there, but that's about it!
8-P

DISGUSTING! 8-P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/31/11 at 11:36 pm

DISGUSTING! 8-P

The trick is to always remain upwind from those neo-hippies!
8)

Written By: danootaandme on 08/01/11 at 4:29 am

chemical relaxers, some have must still have lye because I see the boxes that say no lye relaxers....   ;D   that shyt burns like a mother!

plus I have burnt my head (and hands) uncountable number of times using a hot comb and/or curling

I heard that the "Brazilian" relaxers are lye.  Me...I went natural 40 years ago.  Fell off of the wagon a few times but always came back.  Buzz cut with a #1 1/2  :)

Written By: Howard on 08/01/11 at 6:44 am

That's "rasta" hair.

Written By: Howard on 08/01/11 at 6:46 am

8-P

GROSS!  8-P

Written By: Howard on 08/01/11 at 6:48 am

http://itsnotpossible.typepad.com/trashfan/james1_1.jpg

every black guy wanted The Rick James look.

Written By: snozberries on 08/01/11 at 9:38 am

I heard that the "Brazilian" relaxers are lye.  Me...I went natural 40 years ago.  Fell off of the wagon a few times but always came back.  Buzz cut with a #1 1/2   :)

my hair hasn't been this short since I was 14. well one other time when I first started dreds but it grew fast (down) now my hair grows up or out....its the cut I got from cutting out the dreds....

I was asked on Sunday if I was a boy or a girl.....granted the question came from a 5 yr old but it still stings.  :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 08/01/11 at 9:38 am

no they didnt

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/01/11 at 10:48 am

Back then, Rick had one of the juiciest Jerry Curls out there.  8)

He'd shake his head and it was like a rain storm.  ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 08/01/11 at 12:04 pm

my hair hasn't been this short since I was 14. well one other time when I first started dreds but it grew fast (down) now my hair grows up or out....its the cut I got from cutting out the dreds....

I was asked on Sunday if I was a boy or a girl.....granted the question came from a 5 yr old but it still stings.  :-\\

I've had that problem before, even when my hair was short(which disproves my hair length having something to do with it all the time).

Written By: Howard on 08/01/11 at 12:49 pm

no they didnt

I just thought guys wanted the Jheri Curl look.

Written By: Howard on 08/01/11 at 12:50 pm

Back then, Rick had one of the juiciest Jerry Curls out there.  8)

He'd shake his head and it was like a rain storm.  ;D

was that glitter he was wearing?  ???

Check for new replies or respond here...