inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What's with All the Car Repo Shows?

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/05/11 at 5:39 pm

What's the deal with all the car repossession shows?  Last night I saw ads for:

Operation Repo: The original repo show with Matt, Froy, and the gang.
Lizard Lick Towing: Originally a skit on "All Worked up" but now a show in its own right.
Bear Swamp Repo: A new entrant into the genre.
South Beach Towing: A show under development by J-Low.

Normally I would say this is a case of one network copying after another, but they are all on CourTV TruTV.

WTF? ??? How many repo shows do we need? ???

Subject: Re: What's with All the Car Repo Shows?

Written By: whistledog on 08/05/11 at 8:09 pm

Lizard Lick Towing: Originally a skit on "All Worked up" but now a show in its own right.

I was not aware this one became it's own.  Lizard Lick Towing is awesome, and if there should only ever be just 1 Repo show, make it Lizard Lick

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/05/11 at 8:15 pm

I was not aware this one became it's own.  Lizard Lick Towing is awesome, and if there should only ever be just 1 Repo show, make it Lizard Lick

I prefer Operation Repo

http://i.fanpix.net/images/orig/h/6/h621u3xhirmt6h1r.jpg

I could party with Sonja...   :P

Written By: whistledog on 08/05/11 at 8:25 pm

I prefer Operation Repo

http://i.fanpix.net/images/orig/h/6/h621u3xhirmt6h1r.jpg

I could party with Sonja...   :P

Yes, but Operation Repo has that ugly chick who looks like Mimi from 'The Drew Carey Show'

Lizard Lick has Amy Shirley.  Not the most flattering pic of her here, but she can hold my bat anytime

http://www.lizardlicktowing.com/images/coolPics7.jpg

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/06/11 at 6:40 am

Yes, but Operation Repo has that chick who looks like Mimi from 'The Drew Carey Show'

That's Sonja.  :-*

Written By: whistledog on 08/06/11 at 8:05 pm

That's Sonja.  :-*

Oh my ...

Written By: gumbypiz on 08/07/11 at 3:28 am

What's the deal with all the car repossession shows?  Last night I saw ads for:

Operation Repo: The original repo show with Matt, Froy, and the gang.
Bear Swamp Repo: A new entrant into the genre.
South Beach Towing: A show under development by J-Low.

Normally I would say this is a case of one network copying after another, but they are all on CourTV TruTV.

WTF? ??? How many repo shows do we need? ???

I have an idea why, these are all "reality shows" and they do reflect reality.

In this day and age, with a poor economy and jobs being lost or people losing their jobs due to layoffs and whatnot, having a car repo'd hits a little close to home.

I had one repo'd (well I turned it in to the finance company once my job got downsized in '07, same thing) myself. Its voyeuristic.

If you've ever been late on a payment, trying to juggle bills and know exactly what its like waiting for the "repo man" (like waiting for the "grim reaper") then its entertaining to see how others deal with it. Its not a pleasant experience to say the least, and its something that millions of Americans are dealing with every day.

The repossession business is a multi-million dollar industry run by a lot of less than reputable people.  ::) The guys doing the repos are, well, a little out of the ordinary (to say the least) and highly entertaining to watch them do what they do...And it affects a lot of people in many different walks of life, there is some obvious schadenfreude going on. How many of us get a kick out of seeing what you thought was Mr/Mrs "Well to Do" get their Lexus repo'd? It happens.

I've only watched one repeatedly that I like, its called "Repo Games" (on Spike) and they give the poor person getting their car repo'd a chance of having their entire balance on the loan written off (and keeping their car free and clear) if they can answer some trivia questions. If they don't answer correctly, the car gets hooked up & towed off as usual.

With show like that on, its no wonder there is so many of them out there.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/07/11 at 5:40 pm

Another acre in the Vast Wasteland of television!
::)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 08/10/11 at 7:35 am

gumbypiz, don't some of them get physical challenges as well? (on Repo Games)  I thought I heard someone talking about a guy getting an option to make freethrows or something??? Maybe it was after he had missed the questions, though...:-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/10/11 at 10:53 am

I mean, why deal with scripts and storyboards, actors and lawyers when you can just walk around with a video camera and tape the rednecks being rednecks?

Didn't think the American public would buy it?

Thought wrong.  You're forgetting your PT Barnum!

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/10/11 at 1:13 pm

I mean, why deal with scripts and storyboards, actors and lawyers when you can just walk around with a video camera and tape the rednecks being rednecks?

Didn't think the American public would buy it?

Thought wrong.  You're forgetting your PT Barnum!

Operation Repo is actually scripted, we are not seeing things as they "go down" they are re-enactments...poorly re-enacted.  ;D

There is a disclaimer at the beginning of the show which says: "The stories that are portrayed in this program are based on real events. The names of the characters were changed in order to protect their identities... and some honor".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/10/11 at 5:46 pm

Operation Repo is actually scripted, we are not seeing things as they "go down" they are re-enactments...poorly re-enacted.  ;D

There is a disclaimer at the beginning of the show which says: "The stories that are portrayed in this program are based on real events. The names of the characters were changed in order to protect their identities... and some honor".

I wonder if Ice Road Truckers is scripted too!
???

Check for new replies or respond here...