inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Not-So-Funny Movie Coming Out

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/08/11 at 5:20 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Wells_(bank_robber)

There's a new 'comedy' film coming out that, to many of us in Western PA, seems to be poorly conceived.

The movie, 30 Minutes or Less, is a hilarious story about a pizza delivery guy who has a bomb strapped around his neck and is sent into a bank to rob it.

Problem is, this ACTUALLY HAPPENED in Erie PA a few years ago, and resulted in the pizza dude getting blown up.  A buddy of mine was a state cop... at the scene... when the device exploded.  I'm pretty sure that he didn't get a chuckle out of that explosion.

The film's production company is now claiming that neither they nor the actors were aware of the story of Brian Wells.  ::)

Subject: Re: Not-So-Funny Movie Coming Out

Written By: Tia on 08/08/11 at 5:32 pm

recall there's a moment in "hurt locker" that has a very similar dynamic. not a pizza guy but a guy who's got a bomb strapped to him and is at the mercy of the guy who strapped it to him. i think it's possible they were brainstorming this and were mostly thinking about the hurt locker scene and maybe someone remembered the real-life incident but foggily enough that he suggested the pizza guy twist without knowing where it came from. my first inclination is to say, hey, wait until it comes out and maybe you'll find it's a brilliant black comedy like "heathers" that has an interesting and socially relevant twist on the story.

then i saw the preview and the fact that the director also did "zombieland," which i thought was just this side of dreadful. and i decided you're probably right, you've got reason to be hacked off.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/08/11 at 6:45 pm

As I say on most of these issues, whoever doesn't think it's funny shouldn't buy a ticket.

30 minutes looked pretty stupid to me in any case.
::)

Written By: Jessica on 08/08/11 at 10:17 pm

Weren't aware of it?  Christ, I was floating on a sex high when it all went down, but even *I* remember the news coverage!

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/08/11 at 10:32 pm

I was floating on a sex high when it all went down,

I've heard of Rule 34 before, but that's impressive.  Not sure if want to know.

Written By: ninny on 08/09/11 at 11:39 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Wells_(bank_robber)

There's a new 'comedy' film coming out that, to many of us in Western PA, seems to be poorly conceived.

The movie, 30 Minutes or Less, is a hilarious story about a pizza delivery guy who has a bomb strapped around his neck and is sent into a bank to rob it.

Problem is, this ACTUALLY HAPPENED in Erie PA a few years ago, and resulted in the pizza dude getting blown up.  A buddy of mine was a state cop... at the scene... when the device exploded.  I'm pretty sure that he didn't get a chuckle out of that explosion.

The film's production company is now claiming that neither they nor the actors were aware of the story of Brian Wells.  ::)

I thought the same thing, that it was just like that case.

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/09/11 at 1:54 pm

This story was all over the news, how could they not know?  :-\\

There was a similar story line on the T.V. show Bones.  The guy was an exterminator not a pizza guy.

Check for new replies or respond here...