inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Katy Perry makes Hot 100 history with 5 number 1's from "Teenage Dream"

Written By: Brian06 on 08/17/11 at 3:25 pm

Katy Perry will be the first woman and 2nd artist overall after Michael Jackson to have 5 songs from the same album reach the top of the Billboard Hot 100 when next week's Hot 100 is released tomorrow. That's pretty amazing, I really can't believe how she's gotten this huge. All 5 of those singles have also topped the Hot 100 Airplay charts.

http://www.billboard.com/#/news/katy-perry-makes-hot-100-history-ties-michael-1005318432.story

Katy Perry rose to fame just 3 years ago with this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAp9BKosZXs&ob=av3e

Subject: Re: Katy Perry makes Hot 100 history with 5 number 1's from "Teenage Dream"

Written By: Creeder on 08/17/11 at 3:42 pm

Good for her. She is better than GaGa, Rihanna and Kesha and now we can call her the new queen of pop, after Madonna and Britney in the past.

Subject: Re: Katy Perry makes Hot 100 history with 5 number 1's from "Teenage Dream"

Written By: 80sfan on 08/17/11 at 3:48 pm

To be honest, when I first heard of her in 2008 with 'I kissed a girl', I didn't think she'd become this big! In fact, I thought she was going to be a flash in the pan.

3 years later and I'm eating my words, LOL. 5 number one hits! Jesus!

If Katy does turn out to be even bigger in the future and as big as Madonna, I think it's about time. Madge has had the throne for 29/30 years, it's about time someone else took her place.

Written By: Creeder on 08/17/11 at 3:50 pm

If Katy does turn out to be even bigger in the future and as big as Madonna, I think it's about time. Madge has had the throne for 29/30 years, it's about time someone else took her place.

Madonna was queen in the 80s, Mariah Carey in the 90s, Britney Spears in the 00s and now Katy for the 10s.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/17/11 at 3:52 pm

Madonna was queen in the 80s, Mariah Carey in the 90s, Britney Spears in the 00s and now Katy for the 10s.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Mariah. She was HUGE in the 90s! She released an album like every year in the 90s.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/17/11 at 3:52 pm

To be honest, when I first heard of her in 2008 with 'I kissed a girl', I didn't think she'd become this big! In fact, I thought she was going to be a flash in the pan.

3 years later and I'm eating my words, LOL. 5 number one hits! Jesus!

Yeah I agree, I can't believe she got this big! I thought the same about Rihanna when "Pon de Replay" was out, and she also turned out to be a huge star as well. With Lady GaGa I had known "Just Dance" for several months before it was a hit in the US, eventually I gave up hope of it becoming a hit here...and then it started blowing up and the rest is history.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/17/11 at 3:53 pm

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Mariah. She was HUGE in the 90s! She released an album like every year in the 90s.

Yeah and she was a lot better in the '90s too!

Written By: Creeder on 08/17/11 at 4:01 pm

On other thought, she could just be big in this current era 2008-2012/13.
Just like Paula Abdul was huge in '88-'92 and then forgotten. We'll see.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/17/11 at 4:03 pm

Yeah you never know, Ashanti and Ciara were huge back in the day now...not so much.  :-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/17/11 at 5:53 pm

Yeah you never know, Ashanti and Ciara were huge back in the day now...not so much.  :-\\

If they were built like Katy Perry they'd be superstars too.  :P

Written By: Howard on 08/17/11 at 7:50 pm

Good for her. She is better than GaGa, Rihanna and Kesha and now we can call her the new queen of pop, after Madonna and Britney in the past.

Katy can be the new Queen of Pop.

Written By: whistledog on 08/17/11 at 7:55 pm

Congratulations to Katy.  This is quite an achievement.

Had 'Teenage Dream' been a #1 hit in Canada (it only made it to #2), she would have achieved the same feat in the Canadian Hot 100.  Damn you Eminem and Rihanna and Bruno Mars ARGH! lol

Written By: Emman on 08/17/11 at 9:45 pm

Not if Lady Gaga has anything to say about it, remember she made the "album" of the decade, or so she claimed.

Written By: Creeder on 08/18/11 at 1:32 am

Not if Lady Gaga has anything to say about it, remember she made the "album" of the decade, or so she claimed.

Yes, Lady GaGa is the main competition for the crown, but her new album kinda flopped.
Her music now sounds forced and dated and she didn't do strong on the hot 100 chart.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/18/11 at 1:58 am

Yes, Lady GaGa is the main competition for the crown, but her new album kinda flopped.
Her music now sounds forced and dated and she didn't do strong on the hot 100 chart.

Gaga shot herself in the foot when she said that her album was going to be the biggest selling or best album of this decade.

Born This Way sold 1.54 million so far. That's not bad for any artist at all! BUT since she expected the album to be as big as Michael Jackson's Thriller, people saw it that she was going to sell at least 4 million of Born This Way, and when it didn't sell at least that, it's considered at least a disappointment!

If her next album doesn't sell at least 2 million, then the Gaga phenomenon is officially done and over with.

Written By: RG1995 on 08/18/11 at 3:02 pm

No she isn't and no we won't

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 08/18/11 at 3:23 pm

I don't think she's good as Madonna, Lady Gaga, and Rihanna, but better than Ke$ha, and Britney Spears.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/18/11 at 6:25 pm

I don't think she's good as Madonna, Lady Gaga, and Rihanna, but better than Ke$ha, and Britney Spears.

NOBODY is better than K€$ha.  :-*

Written By: whistledog on 08/22/11 at 9:05 pm

I remember a certain former member here (who was a big Debbie Gibson fan) used to always rag on Katy Perry.  In the video for 'Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)', Debbie Gibson plays Katy's mom :D

Now that's what I call a dream:  a MILF and a DILF :D

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/22/11 at 10:38 pm

I remember a certain former member here (who was a big Debbie Gibson fan) used to always rag on Katy Perry.  In the video for 'Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)', Debbie Gibson plays Katy's mom :D

Katy's mom has got it goin' on.

As long as we're on the subject of pop-culture has-beens making cameo appearances, I'm kinda surprised by Ms. Black's recent withdrawal from school in the face of mild bullying.  The correct answer to any hater's query is "My song sucked so badly that Stephen Colbert performed it on Jimmy Kimmel, the cast of Glee covered it a few months later, and I was in Katy Perry's latest video.  What have you done so far this year?"

That'd qualify as a #winning answer at my day job, never mind at high school.

Check for new replies or respond here...