inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When the people look back to the 2010s...

Written By: 00s_teen on 08/19/11 at 1:24 pm

what do you think will they think about us? I think that the 90s and the 00s and even the 10s will be brought together in history books as time goes by.
I mean politics and technology really changed during that time but IMO pop culture changed pretty much only on the surface. In my opinion the early 00s and even the 90s were far better than the 2010s culturally. I think as the time goes by, our time will become almost forgotten, what is so important to preserve from it anyway? Music pretty much sucks, literature is not as good as it was in the past. Not only that but I don't think as many people will be nostalgic about our time the way they are about the 60s-90s.
Do you think enough of our information will be preserved for the future centuries? Do you feel that time will distort the view on the very late 20th/early 21st century?

Subject: Re: When the people look back to the 2010s...

Written By: Emman on 08/19/11 at 1:41 pm

what do you think will they think about us? I think that the 90s and the 00s and even the 10s will be brought together in history books as time goes by.
I mean politics and technology really changed during that time but IMO pop culture changed pretty much only on the surface. In my opinion the early 00s and even the 90s were far better than the 2010s culturally. I think as the time goes by, our time will become almost forgotten, what is so important to preserve from it anyway? Music pretty much sucks, literature is not as good as it was in the past. Not only that but I don't think as many people will be nostalgic about our time the way they are about the 60s-90s.
Do you think enough of our information will be preserved for the future centuries? Do you feel that time will distort the view on the very late 20th/early 21st century?

It is quite wrong to think that just because you think the pop culture sucks in the 2010s that it will be forgotten by other people, that is very biased. I can bet people who didn't like the '80s music said the same thing(I wonder want a person who was anti-disco in the '70s would have said about disco, hmm). Do you really think people in the future will just forget about someone as eccentric as Lady Gaga for example? ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 08/19/11 at 1:50 pm

In defense of the 2010s, I think that the music this decade is better the the 00s. But there is a lot of room for improvement.
Second, I think there's still great literature out there and I wonder if you're being a bit bias?

And finally, I think the 2010s will be compared to the 30s in the future. It might be known as the decade of The Great Recession and some may even argue Great Depression 2.

Written By: 00s_teen on 08/19/11 at 2:56 pm

It is quite wrong to think that just because you think the pop culture sucks in the 2010s that it will be forgotten by other people, that is very biased. I can bet people who didn't like the '80s music said the same thing(I wonder want a person who was anti-disco in the '70s would have said about disco, hmm). Do you really think people in the future will just forget about someone as eccentric as Lady Gaga for example? ;D

So you think Lady Gaga will be remembered a century ago the way Mozart is?  :D
IMO the most memorable events from 2000-2011 to me are 9/11 and the first Black president of the USA. And I am not American. I think those two events will stay in history books, while celebs like Miley and company will become things of the past that no one remembers. I like some current celebrities, but let's tell the truth - we don't have as iconic global celebrities as Marilyn and JFK. Probably M.J. and Madonna are the last two truly iconic ones.

Written By: whistledog on 08/19/11 at 6:08 pm

what do you think will they think about us?

For starters, they will roll their eyes at you for starting this thread, right before they give you a thrash beating

Written By: 00s_teen on 08/19/11 at 7:00 pm

I think the most memorable years of the 2000s will be 2001-2004 when gas prices were considerably lower world-wide than in the late 00s/early 10s and some European countries including mine were experiencing an economic boom.

We have yet to see about the 2010s, but I think 2010 and 2011 will be largely forgotten. 2012 will be more memorable because of the US elections (and local elections here  ;)) and it's gonna be the year people discover that the world won't actually end, so the whole 2012 doomsday predictions will prove to be only a false alarm.

A good thing about the current time is that Britney is a washed out has been. I'd take Katy Perry any day. :) Another good thing is that Hannah Montana and High School Musical's days of popularity and hype are long gone.

Written By: Howard on 08/19/11 at 7:18 pm

I don't even know what people 20 or 30 years from now will think of us,probably they'll think of us as technologically advanced.

Written By: RG1995 on 08/19/11 at 8:41 pm

Who cares  ::)

Written By: Emman on 08/19/11 at 9:08 pm

I think the most memorable years of the 2000s will be 2001-2004 when gas prices were considerably lower world-wide than in the late 00s/early 10s and some European countries including mine were experiencing an economic boom.

We have yet to see about the 2010s, but I think 2010 and 2011 will be largely forgotten. 2012 will be more memorable because of the US elections (and local elections here  ;)) and it's gonna be the year people discover that the world won't actually end, so the whole 2012 doomsday predictions will prove to be only a false alarm.

A good thing about the current time is that Britney is a washed out has been. I'd take Katy Perry any day. :) Another good thing is that Hannah Montana and High School Musical's days of popularity and hype are long gone.

Do you think the 2010s will be looked at as the decade of electronic music dominance? I think one of the things that really defines Gen Y is social media and I think there is more to come from it as this decade goes by.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/19/11 at 9:13 pm

http://www.bpauctions.com/HorseCarriage.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 08/19/11 at 10:32 pm

For starters, they will roll their eyes at you for starting this thread, right before they give you a thrash beating

;D

Written By: Milkof1996 on 08/20/11 at 12:38 am

http://www.bpauctions.com/HorseCarriage.jpg

Wrong century bro!

Written By: 00s_teen on 08/20/11 at 5:06 am

Do you think the 2010s will be looked at as the decade of electronic music dominance? I think one of the things that really defines Gen Y is social media and I think there is more to come from it as this decade goes by.

I think that electronic music will probably face backlash by the mid 2010s.
I think social networks will define Gen Y. Virtually all of the people my age (23) I know have a Facebook account. I have one too, but I'll deactivate it because I am addicted.
BTW, I also plan on having no Internet access at home when I move away. I am too addicted to it and I need a break from it. It ruined my social life. I will use it only at the workplace.
I think in the years to come more and more people will realize that Internet addiction can be a real problem.

Written By: Howard on 08/20/11 at 6:40 am

Who cares  ::)

I agree RG.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 08/20/11 at 6:40 am

more newer technology.

Written By: 00s_teen on 08/20/11 at 7:30 am

Some people fear that something might disrupt satellite communications or/and the Internet in the future. ;)
:Keeps his fingers crossed:

Written By: 80sfan on 08/20/11 at 10:36 am

Wrong century bro!

Oh, I was trying to make a statement.

People 200 years from now will look at us in 2011 like we look at people from the 1800s!

But Karma to you anyways!  ;D

Written By: 00s_teen on 08/20/11 at 11:09 am

On a side note, I hope someday in the mid/late 2010s or the 2020s short shorts will be back with a vengeance so that I can look hot in them.
First, my legs look a lot worse in long shorts. So that makes me wear long trousers even in the hottest summer days, but it sucks.
Second, females need some eye candy, just the way us males do. ;)

Written By: Howard on 08/20/11 at 7:16 pm

Oh, I was trying to make a statement.

People 200 years from now will look at us in 2011 like we look at people from the 1800s!

But Karma to you anyways!  ;D

They'll look at us like were robots,all this technology we have in our hands,laptop,cellphone,blackberry and touchpads.

Written By: snozberries on 08/22/11 at 6:48 pm

The world will be ruled by apes who see us as inferior beings who cannot communicate. They will have never known that we were here, evolved and far more advanced than their ancestors because the 6th verse of the 29th scroll will have been kept secret from them. One ape, Defender of the Secret, will know and he will do all he can to keep the truth from being revealed.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_AThWAqBtdKs/S5Ge8wzkSfI/AAAAAAAAABI/nbPgB_oe8Rc/S220/dr_zaius-796265.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUfs5E7IjvE

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/22/11 at 8:11 pm

The world will be ruled by apes who see us as inferior beings who cannot communicate. They will have never known that we were here, evolved and far more advanced than their ancestors because the 6th verse of the 29th scroll will have been kept secret from them. One ape, Defender of the Secret, will know and he will do all he can to keep the truth from being revealed.

http://i54.tinypic.com/ebagwl.jpg

So nobody'd notice anything different?

(Planet, Parliament, whatever :)

Written By: Howard on 08/23/11 at 6:37 am

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_AThWAqBtdKs/S5Ge8wzkSfI/AAAAAAAAABI/nbPgB_oe8Rc/S220/dr_zaius-796265.jpg

So the world will be ruled by Apes? :o

Written By: snozberries on 08/23/11 at 1:08 pm

So the world will be ruled by Apes? :o

Duh! The world WILL be. It has been written therefore it must be so.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/11 at 2:17 pm

Wasn't that the 1970's?  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 08/23/11 at 3:28 pm

Wasn't that the 1970's?  ;D

No....it was the 3970s.  3978 to be exact  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/11 at 3:29 pm

No....it was the 3970s.  3978 to be exact  :D
Oh yes, that was in the future.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/23/11 at 3:39 pm

No....it was the 3970s.   3978 to be exact  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izQB2-Kmiic

Written By: Howard on 08/23/11 at 7:39 pm

Duh! The world WILL be. It has been written therefore it must be so.

We'll go ape s h i t. :o ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/23/11 at 7:39 pm

No....it was the 3970s.   3978 to be exact  :D

that's 2000 years from now.

Written By: snozberries on 08/23/11 at 10:31 pm

that's 2000 years from now.

And?  The original poster asked what future generations will think of us.  I answered the questions listed below. Taken from the original post on the first page.

Check for new replies or respond here...