inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I thought we were supposed to wear what we like?

Written By: 00s_teen on 08/20/11 at 5:47 am

I thought by the 21st century we were supposed to wear what we like, even if that means wearing old-fashioned clothes?

What happened? Why does society still regards it as weird to wear clothes from another era? How come some people from a very traditional society like the Japanese accept and even embrace subcultures like Gothic Lolita while us Europeans and Americans still regard this as weird? I've always loved seeing women dressed in period clothes, but they wear them only for fairs, parades, parties, etc.

Even in the United States, a modern country that generally accepts and embraces individuality, one cannot go down the street with 70s/60s clothes/make up without being ridiculed. When will we accept an "anything goes" policy with respect to clothing? Or is it because people fear that they'll be ridiculed for wearing retro clothing? I remember an instance in the late 90s when I wore male bell bottom jeans around the city and nobody cared, nobody made me feel ashamed and I wasn't ridiculed. But I wore them with confidence and didn't look what other people on the street thought of me. However, now that I have become more self-conscious and care about what the others think, I guess I would notice.

Subject: Re: I thought we were supposed to wear what we like?

Written By: watertowater on 08/20/11 at 6:19 am

Well, when something is out of style, it becomes something that is made fun of. TBH, I'm guilty of making fun of people for dressing in out-of-date clothing.  :-X

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/20/11 at 9:22 am

I get the same treatment from people whenever I wear spats and a nehru jacket.

http://www.marchingworld.com/image/spats.jpg

http://content8.flixster.com/question/66/48/41/6648410_std.jpg

Written By: Step-chan on 08/20/11 at 1:16 pm

I personally don't care what others wear or what I wear. :)

Then again, I usually wear plain looking clothes. I don't wear anything that makes me look like a walking advertisement.

Written By: Howard on 08/20/11 at 7:12 pm

I personally don't care what others wear or what I wear. :)

Then again, I usually wear plain looking clothes. I don't wear anything that makes me look like a walking advertisement.

I agree with you,I'll wear what I want to wear,I go for the dress casual-professional look.

Written By: watertowater on 08/22/11 at 6:09 am

TBH, I'm guilty of making fun of people for dressing in out-of-date clothing.  :-X

An example would be when I made fun of a former classmate who dressed in a flannel shirt and a backwards cap. Well, well, well, he was douchey anyway, so I'd always look for excuses to make fun of him.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 08/22/11 at 6:43 am

I get the same treatment from people whenever I wear spats and a nehru jacket.

http://www.marchingworld.com/image/spats.jpg

http://content8.flixster.com/question/66/48/41/6648410_std.jpg

Isn't that a little bit too flashy,LB?  ???

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/22/11 at 9:37 am

I don't care what people wear, as long as they are covered in all the right places.  ;D

I personally love the 40's look and I wish I could pull it off.

I think if you're going to dress in vintage clothing, it should look good, not like you were digging through dumpsters for the stuff.

Check for new replies or respond here...