inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The obligatory east-coast earthquake thread

Written By: Tia on 08/23/11 at 2:43 pm

Everyone calm down. my rabbits are okay.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/earthquake-rattles-washington-area/2011/08/23/gIQATMOGZJ_story.html?hpid=z1

A 5.9 magnitude earthquake struck the Washington area Tuesday, shaking buildings and prompting office workers to pour into the streets of the capital.

The earthquake’s epicenter was nine miles south of Mineral, Va., and 87 miles southwest of Washington, D.C., according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The USGS initially recorded the quake at 5.8 magnitude but later upgraded it to a 5.9.
Washington, DC - August, 23: People cross K street after a mild earthquake evacuates office buildings on August, 23, 2011 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Bill O'Leary/The Washington Post)

A senior Obama administration official said the White House “shook pretty hard” and that employees evacuated onto the driveway between the White House and the Eisenhower Executive Office Building. Construction workers also got off scaffolding wrapped around the EEOB.

Subject: Re: The obligatory east-coast earthquake thread

Written By: amjikloviet on 08/23/11 at 2:52 pm

I felt it while I was posting a reply a short time ago, and I live in the north east.

Written By: Tia on 08/23/11 at 2:57 pm

I felt it while I was posting a reply a short time ago, and I live in the north east.
i'll admit it, it scared the carp out of me for a second. i'm thinking, what, are they doing construction or something, and then the building really shook pretty good for about 5 seconds or so. i'd never felt an earthquake before, it was pretty damn surreal. although people from california would have a hearty laugh, we all FREAKED OUT and they sent us home for the day.  ;D

they just said on the news: "i understand we're not concerned about a tsunami, why is that?" THE STUPID. IT. HURTS. SO. BAD.

Written By: amjikloviet on 08/23/11 at 3:03 pm

i'll admit it, it scared the carp out of me for a second. i'm thinking, what, are they doing construction or something, and then the building really shook pretty good for about 5 seconds or so. i'd never felt an earthquake before, it was pretty damn surreal. although people from california would have a hearty laugh, we all FREAKED OUT and they sent us home for the day.  ;D

they just said on the news: "i understand we're not concerned about a tsunami, why is that?" THE STUPID. IT. HURTS. SO. BAD.

That's exactly what we thought! Here it lasted maybe six seconds, and that was about it.

Written By: Jessica on 08/23/11 at 3:14 pm

Thank GOD.

Written By: loki 13 on 08/23/11 at 3:29 pm

I must be oblivious, I didn't feel a thing. I was in North Philadelphia at the time and felt nothing. My wife, at home
in New Jersey, said the whole house shook bad enough for her and our granddaughter to leave the house.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/23/11 at 3:41 pm

HEY!!!  >:( >:( >:(

What's the big idea, having earthquakes on the East Coast?!? Are you trying to start yet another rivalry with the West Coast?  :o

Written By: 1PlayerD on 08/23/11 at 3:48 pm

What's the big idea, having earthquakes on the East Coast?!? Are you trying to start yet another rivalry with the West Coast?  :o

Maybe, is that a problem?

Written By: Tia on 08/23/11 at 3:52 pm

I must be oblivious, I didn't feel a thing. I was in North Philadelphia at the time and felt nothing. My wife, at home
in New Jersey, said the whole house shook bad enough for her and our granddaughter to leave the house.
it's all that loud rock music you listen to, son.  8)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/23/11 at 3:55 pm

Maybe, is that a problem?

Are you trying to start a rumble?  :o :o :o

Written By: snozberries on 08/23/11 at 4:21 pm

HEY!!!  >:( >:( >:(

What's the big idea, having earthquakes on the East Coast?!? Are you trying to start yet another rivalry with the West Coast?  :o

West side is da best side!!!

Written By: snozberries on 08/23/11 at 4:22 pm

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/23/11 at 4:24 pm

I called my dad to make sure he is ok. Just got his machine.  :-\\  I'll feel better when I hear from him. (Either call or email.)

Cat

Written By: 1PlayerD on 08/23/11 at 4:28 pm

Maybe...Maybe Not, you want one? > : P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/23/11 at 4:54 pm

Just got an email from my dad. All is well with him.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/23/11 at 5:43 pm

Maybe...Maybe Not, you want one? > : P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpFITa9eYoQ&feature=related

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/23/11 at 5:58 pm

I felt it here in Pittsburgh, but just was swaying back and forth on the couch a little.  I thought that maybe I was just feeling sick and wasn't able to stay sitting up straight, here it was the earthquake.  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 08/23/11 at 6:41 pm

The radio station here suddenly began playing 'Whole Lotta Shakin Goin On', 'Hippy Hippy Shake' and 'I Feel the Earth Move'.  I felt that was kind of inappropriate as we don't know if there were tragedies in the quake.

Written By: Howard on 08/23/11 at 7:35 pm

I was about ready to clock in at 2pm till I felt the ground shake and I thought someone was drilling outside when someone told me there was an earthquake but this one happened for a few minutes but nothing happened to me,I'm ok,just couldn't get it off my mind all day.  :(

Written By: Dagwood on 08/23/11 at 7:47 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/earthquake-rattles-washington-area/2011/08/23/gIQATMOGZJ_story.html?hpid=z1

Thank GOD.

I agree...I was worried. ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/23/11 at 7:49 pm

No,everything is cool. ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/23/11 at 10:22 pm

I was up north in the Adirondacks with some relatives (got back earlier this evening).  My brother-in-law said he felt a faint tremor.  I was on the nod missed it altogether. 

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

Written By: snozberries on 08/23/11 at 10:31 pm

Just got an email from my dad. All is well with him.

Cat

Glad to hear it

Written By: Howard on 08/24/11 at 6:27 am

I think Harold Camping could be right,this country's going to hell,from earthquakes to hurricanes,Who knows what's next?  ::)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 08/24/11 at 11:09 am

I think Harold Camping could be right,this country's going to hell,from earthquakes to hurricanes,Who knows what's next?  ::)
You might get laid :o

Written By: Jessica on 08/24/11 at 11:23 am

;D

Written By: Howard on 08/24/11 at 12:48 pm

That's a big "if" Mama.

Written By: loki 13 on 08/24/11 at 3:30 pm

I said I was oblivious to the earthquake, more so than I knew because we at work surmised that I am
a casualty of the earthquake.

I was using a grinding wheel to cut apart tack welds in a filter box to fix a dent in the box when suddenly the wheel
started bouncing off the box, it hit the back of my hand cutting through the glove and put a nice slice in my hand
between the knuckle of my ring finger and middle finger. The cut is about 1/2 inch long and about 1/8 inch wide
and could probably use a few stitches but I looked at the clock it was ten minutes until two, I'm done at three so
I just used a couple of butterfly stitches and a knuckle bandaid and went back to work.

I use these grinding wheels every day and rarely do they give me a problem and even when there is I have enough control
of the grinder to prevent any mishaps. The best answer we can come up with is the earthquake I didn't feel shook the
table and the box causing the grinding wheel to bounce which then cut my hand.  

it's all that loud rock music you listen to, son.  ;D

Or it could just be this.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 08/24/11 at 4:05 pm

Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 24 hours.

We will know that it happened because our feet will have be stuck to ground due to hell freezing over and what not!!!!  :D

plus there will be a kajillion posts in multiple threads telling us about it!  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 08/24/11 at 4:08 pm

I was using a grinding wheel to cut apart tack welds in a filter box to fix a dent in the box when suddenly the wheel
started bouncing off the box, it hit the back of my hand cutting through the glove and put a nice slice in my hand
between the knuckle of my ring finger and middle finger. The cut is about 1/2 inch long and about 1/8 inch wide
and could probably use a few stitches but I looked at the clock it was ten minutes until two, I'm done at three so
I just used a couple of butterfly stitches and a knuckle bandaid and went back to work.

DUDE!!! That's some Chuck Norris shyt right there!!!  :o  8)  hope you're okay... glad you didn't lose a finger/s/hand.....and what not. 

Written By: loki 13 on 08/24/11 at 5:47 pm

DUDE!!! That's some Chuck Norris shyt right there!!!  :o  8)   hope you're okay... glad you didn't lose a finger/s/hand.....and what not. 

;D

It actually sounds a lot worse than it is, when it heals it will just be another scar among many.

Written By: Dagwood on 08/24/11 at 6:44 pm

Holy crap!  I about spit my tea all over my monitor. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/25/11 at 6:52 am

We will know that it happened because our feet will have be stuck to ground due to hell freezing over and what not!!!!  :D

plus there will be a kajillion posts in multiple threads telling us about it!  ;)

;D

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 08/25/11 at 1:16 pm

plus there will be a kajillion posts in EVERY threads telling us about it!  ;)
FIXT 8)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 08/25/11 at 1:17 pm

Holy crap!  I about spit my tea all over my monitor. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Sorry, should've put a disclaimer on that:

Warning: the following post may cause "drink spittage".  Please swallow all beverages before reading ;)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 08/25/11 at 1:18 pm

That's a big "if" Mama.
Stranger things have happened.........exactly what, I'm not sure, but there's GOTTA be something???

Written By: snozberries on 08/25/11 at 3:37 pm

FIXT 8)

;D

Written By: snozberries on 08/25/11 at 3:39 pm

Stranger things have happened.........exactly what, I'm not sure, but there's GOTTA be something???

Sarah palin's virtual overnight success? :o

Written By: Howard on 08/25/11 at 7:09 pm

Sorry, should've put a disclaimer on that:

Warning: the following post may cause "drink spittage".  Please swallow all beverages before reading ;)

or don't drink at all.

Written By: Howard on 08/25/11 at 7:10 pm

I don't know.

Check for new replies or respond here...