inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The end of an era: Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO

Written By: Brian06 on 08/24/11 at 6:07 pm

I'm not that surprised knowing his health but it's still huge news. Tim Cook will be the new Apple CEO. I wonder how Apple will fare after Jobs? He was one of the greatest CEOs of all time IMO.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/24/steve-jobs-resigns-as-ceo-of-apple/

Subject: Re: The end of an era: Steve Jobs resigns as Apple CEO

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/24/11 at 7:07 pm

Bummer.  In previous events he simply went on a leave of absence.  This time he's resigned, I gotta think that means he's been diagnosed as terminal.

Dude's a legend...

Written By: danootaandme on 08/24/11 at 9:39 pm

:(

Written By: snozberries on 08/24/11 at 10:03 pm

Thank you Steve for all my fun toys. Hopefully the next you makes them more affordable so I can get more.

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/24/11 at 10:06 pm

Thank you Steve for all my fun toys. Hopefully the next you makes them more affordable so I can get more.

But affordable means cheap, and cheap means nor as good as Mac and no one wants a pc, even hp!

Written By: snozberries on 08/24/11 at 10:12 pm

But affordable means cheap, and cheap means nor as good as Mac and no one wants a pc, even hp!

;D

Well maybe the old products will be cheaper as the new gen comes out.

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/24/11 at 10:28 pm

;D

Well maybe the old products will be cheaper as the new gen comes out.
oh yah... They'll give you a $100 - $200 discount for a retiring generation!    :P

Written By: Creeder on 08/25/11 at 4:46 am

Apple is not big in my country.
Still I know Steve Jobs is a big man.
Bill Gates resigned as CEO in 2000, so it was Steve's time.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/25/11 at 5:06 am

Apple is not big in my country.
Still I know Steve Jobs is a big man.
Bill Gates resigned as CEO in 2000, so it was Steve's time.

Yeah I agree that it was the right time. The reality is he's just not healthy enough to run the company on a day to day basis anymore. I was actually just thinking a week or two ago that it's probably time for Steve to move on though it's still sad realizing that day has now come. His whole story is amazing really, how he founded one of the first computer companies, left the company in the '80s in a power struggle only to return a decade later as Apple was faltering in which he completely turned around the company. It's all pretty nostalgic for me as a lifelong tech nerd, my first computer back in '93 was a real old school mac quadra 610 running system 7. And I remember Apple's "comeback" with the iMac in the late '90s, which really symbolized the dawn of the new millennium. I even used the Mac OS X public beta way back in 2000, the user interface was years ahead of it's time.

Written By: Howard on 08/25/11 at 6:51 am

Bummer.  In previous events he simply went on a leave of absence.  This time he's resigned, I gotta think that means he's been diagnosed as terminal.

Dude's a legend...

He's been a legend for over 30 years,here is a photo from 1976 with him and Steve Wozinak.  http://www.silvermac.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/steve_and_steve.jpg

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 08/25/11 at 9:25 am

Dude's a legend...
You would be correct...  :\'(

Written By: 80sfan on 08/25/11 at 9:28 am

How old is Steve Jobs? He can't possibly be that old, is he?

Written By: Howard on 08/25/11 at 7:12 pm

he was born in 1955,that would make him 56.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/25/11 at 8:32 pm

Maybe they can bring back Woz to lead Apple.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/11 at 9:10 pm

Steve Jobs is staying on as chairman of the board. 

He's looking pretty sick these days.  I wish him well.
:(

Written By: 80sfan on 08/25/11 at 9:29 pm

he was born in 1955,that would make him 56.

Oh thanks Howard.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/26/11 at 10:58 pm

When you've dealt with any form of pancreatic cancer, any age is old. 

Maybe they can bring back Woz to lead Apple.

I'm grossly oversimplifying, but as much as it was Woz's engineering skills that made Apple, it was Jobs that turned that engineering into a product that could actually be sold.  Jobs (redacted) Woz by taking credit for an early engineering decision in the late 70s, but with 20/20 hindsight, Apple 1.0 wouldn't have existed without both their efforts.  A while after Woz's departure, Apple fired Jobs in exchange for an unnamed bean-counting sugar-water salesman who ran the company into the ground.  Jobs came back from NeXT, and (ironically with a little capital from Bill Gates, who was terrified of antitrust issues should Apple fail) resurrected the shambling zombified corpse with nothing more than an insanely driven desire to design.  The rest was history.  UNIX has a place on the desktop, and the iFoo line of products has revolutionized everything from MP3 players to smartphones to tablets.  Jobs has done an exceptional job of instilling his values into everyone in senior Apple management, and I think Cook will do well as his successor.

As a guy who still comes down on Woz's side of the debate on engineering-vs-marketing, I'd still be the first to admit that Jobs changed the way we use technology in the 90s, in a way that was as significant as the way in which Woz changed the way in which we used the technology of the 80s.

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 09/01/11 at 3:44 pm

Only a white person would step down from their own business before they died. I would never give up that money. I honestly think Apple is getting generic. I mean all their stuff looks alike. I cant tell an iPod from an iPhone. The technology is great, they focus more on that than Microsoft does. But at least with Microsoft you can use whatever you like. You can drop a ford engine in a Chevy why can't I use Windows media or real player with an iPod. That sheesh is what irritates me the most. They seem far up their asses, it's a wonder if there's an app for reality?

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/01/11 at 6:25 pm

Only a white person would step down from their own business before they died. I would never give up that money.

Well, Jobs is worth well over a billion dollars, and he's sick as a dog.  I just saw a recent pic of him and he is in terrible shape.

If I were in his position I, too woulda resigned.

Written By: snozberries on 09/01/11 at 6:44 pm

Well, Jobs is worth well over a billion dollars, and he's sick as a dog.  I just saw a recent pic of him and he is in terrible shape.

If I were in his position I, too woulda resigned.

Same Here....actually I would've retired after the first couple of billion and before the illness just so I could take time to enjoy what I'd made of myself

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/01/11 at 11:51 pm

If it's the picture I'm thinking of, it's quite possibly a fake.  That doesn't change the fact that he's in poor health and his health was the only conceivable reason for his resignation.

Same Here....actually I would've retired after the first couple of billion and before the illness just so I could take time to enjoy what I'd made of myself

Billion?  Hell, I'll quit after the first few million.

But that's the difference between most of us and people like Steve Jobs.  I'd be content to make enough money that I could spend the rest of my life frittering away the cash on fancy toys.  Jobs wanted to change the direction in which the industry - whatever he happened to be working on - evolved.  And (regardless of how poorly he treated Woz the first time around) he managed to do it four times.  First with Woz and the Apple ][, then with NeXT, then with Pixar, and finally returning to save Apple from the soda-water salesmen and change the world through the iPod, iPhone, and iPad.

He didn't stay in it for the money.  He stayed in it because he loved it more than life itself.  That's what keeps you in the game after the first few million.  It's also what makes the difference between the millionaires and the billionaires.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/02/11 at 12:01 am

When you've dealt with any form of pancreatic cancer, any age is old.  

I'm grossly oversimplifying, but as much as it was Woz's engineering skills that made Apple, it was Jobs that turned that engineering into a product that could actually be sold.  Jobs (redacted) Woz by taking credit for an early engineering decision in the late 70s, but with 20/20 hindsight, Apple 1.0 wouldn't have existed without both their efforts.  A while after Woz's departure, Apple fired Jobs in exchange for an unnamed bean-counting sugar-water salesman who ran the company into the ground.  Jobs came back from NeXT, and (ironically with a little capital from Bill Gates, who was terrified of antitrust issues should Apple fail) resurrected the shambling zombified corpse with nothing more than an insanely driven desire to design.  The rest was history.  UNIX has a place on the desktop, and the iFoo line of products has revolutionized everything from MP3 players to smartphones to tablets.  Jobs has done an exceptional job of instilling his values into everyone in senior Apple management, and I think Cook will do well as his successor.

As a guy who still comes down on Woz's side of the debate on engineering-vs-marketing, I'd still be the first to admit that Jobs changed the way we use technology in the 90s, in a way that was as significant as the way in which Woz changed the way in which we used the technology of the 80s.

That's a clear way to put it Foo Bar.

Written By: Howard on 09/02/11 at 6:45 am

just take the money you have and retire.

Written By: snozberries on 09/02/11 at 9:56 am

just take the money you have and retire.

that's what I said.

Written By: Howard on 10/07/11 at 7:47 pm

Maybe Steve Wozniak could help take over the company for a little while.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/07/11 at 11:08 pm

Maybe Steve Wozniak could help take over the company for a little while.

Woz was - and is - a maker, an engineer, but he'd be the first to say he's not CEO material.  He'd also be the first to shake your hand and encourage you - or your kids - to go into engineering.  And if an Apple product ever touched your life, he'd gladly sign anything you had on you.  

The company is in good hands with Tim Cook.  It's not the company it was in the 70s and 80s, but that's OK; it's not supposed to be that sort of company again.  No company ever could be.  Sure, it's a pretty awesome company, but back in the day... it was a different - but every bit as awesome - sort of awesome.  

http://travelintotch.com/public/sjtribute.jpg

I can't take credit for the picture, but it expresses how I felt the other day.  Thanks, Steve, and thanks, Steve.

Check for new replies or respond here...