inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What happened to music of today?

Written By: Creeder on 08/25/11 at 4:39 am

You know what I mean... it all sounds overproduced and bland.
Music meant something in the past. People listened to music that was actually good and stayed to this day as evergreen and retro.
Just 20 years ago, in 1991, such great albums were released: Nirvana's "Nevermind", Metallica's "Black album", Pearl Jam's "Ten", Guns N' Roses "Use Your Illusion I-II", R.E.M.'s "Out of Time", U2's "Achtung Baby", Mariah Carey "Mariah Carey", Red Hot Chili Peppers "Blood Sugar Sex Magik", Michael Jackson's "Dangerous".
And don't get me started on the 60s, 70s and 80s.
Please tell me a 2010s album that will be as big as Michael Jackson's "Thriller". You can't.
I honestly can't thing of an album (from a new performer) that I will remember 20-30 years from now.
Our generation is left in a dark age and there is no hope for getting out soon.

Subject: Re: What happened to music of today?

Written By: tnf on 08/25/11 at 4:51 am

I agree.

A lot of people rather seem to hear unnatural, enhanced voices than 'the real thing'. Sad.  :\'(

And radio formats have become strict in a way there's almost no room anymore for something standing out; They are afraid of listeners going away...

But when it comes to less popular music, there's still some nice stuff. You just have to dig deeper nowadays. :)

Written By: Brian06 on 08/25/11 at 5:55 am

Some of today's artists are good but I like the music I grew up with in the mid '90s to mid 2000s better. Not that that was the best necessarily, but it's the best I was around for. The truth is bad music has always been around, but it's the truly great music that's been declining in numbers over the years. I mean a lot of early '90s pop music was pretty freaking terrible really, but there was more GREAT stuff then like the albums you mentioned and as I said I even think 2004 had more great stuff than today. I kinda feel like I saw the last decent music era and I feel bad for today's kids / teens, though every generation feels like that I guess.

Written By: Howard on 08/25/11 at 6:46 am

A lot of the artists from yesteryear with music artists like Michael Jackson,Barry White,Teddy Pendergrass,Lou Rawls and others are either deceased or retired from the music business,that's the music I used to enjoy but the music of today is ok just not as great as it once was back then.

Written By: Howard on 08/25/11 at 6:47 am

I agree.

A lot of people rather seem to hear unnatural, enhanced voices than 'the real thing'. Sad.   :\'(

And radio formats have become strict in a way there's almost no room anymore for something standing out; They are afraid of listeners going away...

But when it comes to less popular music, there's still some nice stuff. You just have to dig deeper nowadays. :)

That's why I always choose my oldies from internet radio stations.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/25/11 at 9:30 am

You know what I mean... it all sounds overproduced and bland.
Music meant something in the past. People listened to music that was actually good and stayed to this day as evergreen and retro.
Just 20 years ago, in 1991, such great albums were released: Nirvana's "Nevermind", Metallica's "Black album", Pearl Jam's "Ten", Guns N' Roses "Use Your Illusion I-II", R.E.M.'s "Out of Time", U2's "Achtung Baby", Mariah Carey "Mariah Carey", Red Hot Chili Peppers "Blood Sugar Sex Magik", Michael Jackson's "Dangerous".
And don't get me started on the 60s, 70s and 80s.
Please tell me a 2010s album that will be as big as Michael Jackson's "Thriller". You can't.
I honestly can't thing of an album (from a new performer) that I will remember 20-30 years from now.
Our generation is left in a dark age and there is no hope for getting out soon.

What happened? Record companies just stopped caring. At least they had $$$ as a motivation, even back then, but now they're so stupid and greedy, and lazy they can't even think to make a good record anymore!

Written By: tnf on 08/25/11 at 11:05 am

That's why I always choose my oldies from internet radio stations.

Me too (ánd broadcasting it by myself; one of the stations in my signature plays 100 % music released before 2010 and the other one for about 80 %).

Some stations are still playing decent recent music though, although combined with older music, check:
http://www.laid-back.be (black music)
http://www.novaplanet.com (relaxed/funky)
http://www.paris-one.com/reverse (techno, techhouse, electro)
And the stations FG House Chic and Underground FG at http://www.radiofg.com

And there's also http://www.kxredhot.nl, a Dutch station ONLY playing recent music. Not exactly my taste, but not bad, and maybe interesting for others.

Written By: Creeder on 08/25/11 at 1:34 pm

Maybe we've reached the end of music history.
Its sad, for our generation, who can't enjoy good music like our fathers did.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/25/11 at 5:07 pm

I disagree. We CAN enjoy good music like our fathers did! We can download songs that our fathers enjoyed from past eras.

LOL. :D

Written By: Milkof1996 on 08/25/11 at 6:54 pm

I don't listen to music now, so I just listen to video game music, although, there is a couple songs I liked that came out of this decade.

Written By: Howard on 08/25/11 at 7:07 pm

What happened? Record companies just stopped caring. At least they had $$$ as a motivation, even back then, but now they're so stupid and greedy, and lazy they can't even think to make a good record anymore!

and record companies can't even find good people to make good music,It's all about the money these days.

Written By: Howard on 08/25/11 at 7:08 pm

or people who were born during Generation X.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/25/11 at 9:30 pm

and record companies can't even find good people to make good music,It's all about the money these days.

Bling bling! $$ ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 08/26/11 at 2:45 am

http://theforgottenpeace.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/ray-of-hope3.jpg

I predict by 2025, we'll be in a whole new era of music! A new beginning! ;D ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/26/11 at 6:44 am

Bling bling! $$ ;D

and what happened to music that had rhythm,harmony and syncronization? Now you just make a song and hopefully it sounds good on the radio,I hear today's music and it is just a big bunch of mumbo jumbo.

Written By: joeman on 08/26/11 at 8:05 am

My thing is...what the hell happened to Rock music?  It either doesn't exist, or it is a form of a wussy faux 1950s style Rock that MTV tries to dump on us.

Written By: Creeder on 08/26/11 at 11:37 am

My thing is...what the hell happened to Rock music?  It either doesn't exist, or it is a form of a wussy faux 1950s style Rock that MTV tries to dump on us.

Yeah, I know what you mean... rock is dead.
People say dubstep is the new rock, but it sounds really bad to me and I don't know any big names there.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/26/11 at 12:47 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzm50HEmNeM

Here's the answer to you guys' question.

The Telecommunications Act of 1996 REALLY killed creativity and thus that's why a few years after 1996, music started to become saturated and uncreative!

Written By: whistledog on 08/26/11 at 1:58 pm

Nothing happened to the music of today.  Music styles change.  If you do not like what you hear on the radio, then don't listen to the radio.

Written By: Howard on 08/26/11 at 7:11 pm

today's rock is just garbage.

Written By: Howard on 08/26/11 at 7:13 pm

Nothing happened to the music of today.  Music styles change.  If you do not like what you hear on the radio, then don't listen to the radio.

just go to an internet radio station.

Written By: diofan on 08/26/11 at 7:19 pm

Currently I Host a Show that is all 80s hard rock. But in 2012, when I Change Internet Providers back to Comcast, I'm going to start my own Online radio Station. This One will play that same good stuff from the 60s and 70s. The first 4 decades of rock were the best, after that it went downhill!

Written By: Howard on 08/26/11 at 7:44 pm

Currently I Host a Show that is all 80s hard rock. But in 2012, when I Change Internet Providers back to Comcast, I'm going to start my own Online radio Station. This One will play that same good stuff from the 60s and 70s. The first 4 decades of rock were the best, after that it went downhill!

what groups will be on the show?

Written By: m83 on 08/26/11 at 8:06 pm

Listen to Lights and Owl City. That is some good music from the 2010s.

Written By: Creeder on 08/27/11 at 2:12 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzm50HEmNeM
Here's the answer to you guys' question.
The Telecommunications Act of 1996 REALLY killed creativity and thus that's why a few years after 1996, music started to become saturated and uncreative!

Nice clip, but I don't agree with some of it.
It says that late 90s-early 00s music was bad, but it was very good back then. It started to suck in the mid-2000s and after.
Anyway, lets be optimistic about it. Here are some bands/singers from nowadays that I think are good: Bruno Mars, Foster the People, Owl City, Arcade Fire, Mumford & Sons, B.O.B, Katy Perry (good pop) and Taylor Swift

Written By: Howard on 08/27/11 at 7:11 am

I guess music today appeals to the teens and as for the older folks over 30,we listen to the the oldies stations.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/27/11 at 11:32 am

Nice clip, but I don't agree with some of it.
It says that late 90s-early 00s music was bad, but it was very good back then. It started to suck in the mid-2000s and after.
Anyway, lets be optimistic about it. Here are some bands/singers from nowadays that I think are good: Bruno Mars, Foster the People, Owl City, Arcade Fire, Mumford & Sons, B.O.B, Katy Perry (good pop) and Taylor Swift

Oh God, I LOVEE Foster the People!! Their song "Pumped up kicks" is such a good song!

Written By: Creeder on 08/27/11 at 2:12 pm

Oh God, I LOVEE Foster the People!! Their song "Pumped up kicks" is such a good song!

Yes, I hope they become bigger in the next couple of years. "Torches" is very good debut album and I think they will be one of the biggest rock bands of the decade. We shall see. :)

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/27/11 at 3:23 pm

I actually predict music will get a lot better midway through this decade. The music industry can only lie to themselves for so long.

Written By: King Tut on 08/27/11 at 3:31 pm

That's right!
There is still lots of good music out today; just look past Bieber, Rebecca Black, Gaga, Gwen Stefani, etc..

Written By: Howard on 08/28/11 at 6:48 am

I actually predict music will get a lot better midway through this decade. The music industry can only lie to themselves for so long.

What can they do to improve it? ???

Written By: kitkat1991 on 08/28/11 at 10:37 am

Haha! I know right? I was watching a stand up comedy show with Comedian Sinbad, and he asked: "Who are we going to go to see in concert when we're 50?" Speaking to our generation. I really thought about that to. I can't stand todays music. Record companies just don't give a damn anymore. The industry sold itself out a long time ago. Anybody can get a record deal  these days. Like seriously, what the hell happened to rock music? My ipod is filled with music from the 80s- 90s and early 00s.

Written By: Creeder on 08/28/11 at 1:21 pm

Haha! I know right? I was watching a stand up comedy show with Comedian Sinbad, and he asked: "Who are we going to go to see in concert when we're 50?" Speaking to our generation. I really thought about that to. I can't stand todays music. Record companies just don't give a damn anymore. The industry sold itself out a long time ago. Anybody can get a record deal  these days. Like seriously, what the hell happened to rock music? My ipod is filled with music from the 80s- 90s and early 00s.

Rock declined after 2003-2004. Some people say we're at the end of the "Rock era" and we are entering the "Digital era" where people listen what they want on the internet and don't give a damn about popular music.
Still that doesn't answer what current artists we are gonna listen after 30 years from today. :-\\

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/28/11 at 1:55 pm

What can they do to improve it? ???

I think they need give us a better variety of music. i don't want every song to sound the same. I also think this overload on autotune has gotten out of hand! However, I'm glad the overload on glam and snap rap is gone. Maybe we should let people know what changes we want.

Written By: Howard on 08/28/11 at 2:18 pm

I think they need give us a better variety of music. i don't want every song to sound the same. I also think this overload on autotune has gotten out of hand! However, I'm glad the overload on glam and snap rap is gone. Maybe we should let people know what changes we want.

maybe record companies need to take a step back to the 80's and take it from there. ???

Written By: 80sfan on 08/28/11 at 10:43 pm

Relax, rock will come back one day.... with a vengeance! Music styles come and go into fashion all the time, it doesn't mean rock is dead.

Rock is too popular in American culture to truly die out.

Written By: joeman on 08/29/11 at 12:06 am

You know what is pissing me off?  Dubstep....I don't understand why it is so popular with these 12 year old kids.  Sounds like Megatron having an orgasm.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/29/11 at 12:08 am

You know what is pissing me off?  Dubstep....I don't understand why it is so popular with these 12 year old kids.  Sounds like Megatron having an orgasm.

;D

Written By: Howard on 08/29/11 at 6:47 am

Relax, rock will come back one day.... with a vengeance! Music styles come and go into fashion all the time, it doesn't mean rock is dead.

Rock is too popular in American culture to truly die out.

Rock has been around for a long time.

Written By: totalslacker on 08/29/11 at 8:10 pm

I'm a sophomore in college.  Trust me, you'll hardly find any of today's "good" music on the radio. 
Many radio stations and record execs have become too conservative and afraid of change.  Or they just don't "get" the music any more.  They certainly are not speaking for today's youth, at least not those that I know.  Very few of my peers listen to or respect the majority of what's played on the radio.

It's all underground and under the radar for most people (circulating on the internet actually).  The indie/lo-fi scene is pretty much where all the action is right now, and it exists online these days, rather than as a cohesive regional unit as music scenes tended to be in the past (i.e. grunge & seattle, britpop & the UK). 

MTV is currently attempting to break into this market and exploit its aesthetic.  Expect it to be massively co-opted, watered down and sold as fashion trends and lifestyles, akin to the whole "alternative rock explosion" 20 years ago.

some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz7vyrFhFE8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDKh61eMMuE&ob=av3e

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_RBxVpM_AI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fheYx_ZPU18&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6VBbuyOw2g&feature=related

Written By: Emman on 08/29/11 at 10:24 pm

I actually notice a very slight pyschedelic indietronica sound coming in(MGMT, Foster The People), I wonder if this will be the rock sound of the 2010s.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/29/11 at 11:42 pm

I actually notice a very slight pyschedelic indietronica sound coming in(MGMT, Foster The People), I wonder if this will be the rock sound of the 2010s.

Foster the People is slowly becoming popular. I'm starting to hear their song on mainstream.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/29/11 at 11:43 pm

Rock has been around for a long time.

Because rock is very popular, that's why it's lasted so long!

Written By: Creeder on 08/30/11 at 6:11 am

I'm a sophomore in college.  Trust me, you'll hardly find any of today's "good" music on the radio. 
Many radio stations and record execs have become too conservative and afraid of change.  Or they just don't "get" the music any more.  They certainly are not speaking for today's youth, at least not those that I know.  Very few of my peers listen to or respect the majority of what's played on the radio.

Do you listen to Nickelback, Linkin Park or Foo Fighters in college, because these are the best selling bands of the last 2-3 years?

Written By: Howard on 08/30/11 at 6:44 am

Because rock is very popular, that's why it's lasted so long!

and rock has gone through so many styles and sounds.

Written By: totalslacker on 08/30/11 at 8:29 pm

Do you listen to Nickelback, Linkin Park or Foo Fighters in college, because these are the best selling bands of the last 2-3 years?

Most people under 25 regard Nickelback as a joke these days; they think they're awful.  The Foo Fighters are still pretty decent at times but I do like their older albums better.  Linkin Park is simply overplayed.  They're not awful, but they're not what anyone wants to hear anymore.  Granted I don't speak for everyone in my age group.

Foster the People are great btw, as are MGMT.  There's a definitely a broad psychedelic influence coming into music that wasn't present before.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/31/11 at 5:13 pm

http://everseradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/ship-sinking.gif

I think we should just sit back and watch how low the quality of music can sink!

8)

Written By: Tia on 08/31/11 at 5:25 pm

i was just having this out vis-a-vis movies and how they're saturated with computer graphics and so on. people don't want to see a movie with "perfect" special effects, they want to see a movie where sometimes it looks awesome, sometimes you can see the zipper on the monster's back. same thing with music. part of the fun of listening to a great song is hearing the little blemishes and dragging beats and so on, and then revelling in it when they lock in and nail it. art's about that give and take.

you drink whiskey because it has a bite, not because it goes down perfectly smooth. know what i mean?

Written By: Emman on 08/31/11 at 5:34 pm

i was just having this out vis-a-vis movies and how they're saturated with computer graphics and so on. people don't want to see a movie with "perfect" special effects, they want to see a movie where sometimes it looks awesome, sometimes you can see the zipper on the monster's back. same thing with music. part of the fun of listening to a great song is hearing the little blemishes and dragging beats and so on, and then revelling in it when they lock in and nail it. art's about that give and take.

you drink whiskey because it has a bite, not because it goes down perfectly smooth. know what i mean?

So the smoothing over of music decreases it's "character", on a personal level I agree with this. It is more interesting to me when music is a little off, out of tune slightly, it makes music sound more quirky and whimsical which I like.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/31/11 at 5:35 pm

I know exactly what you mean! I want my music to sound real, not homogenized and manufactured.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/31/11 at 5:37 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgG3f1DcjwA&feature=topvideos_music

Written By: Tia on 08/31/11 at 5:56 pm

ugh! perfect example of what i mean! (though somehow, it was still pretty easy to watch.  ;D ) the thing i think of is this slogan from the 50s, and it actually i think was about grocery store food and so on, "untouched by human hands." they would put that on food and other products to tell you that it had been made strictly by an automated process on an assembly line and no actual human worker had gotten their cooties on your hot dog or your children's toy or what have you. and i don't know how that went over in the 50s but i remember when i was a kid in the 70s we used to laugh at that idea, because a product with absolutely no relationship to humanity was a BAD thing, it ended up antiseptic and joyless and basically too refined and perfect to be enjoyed.

i don't think we're there with movies yet, there are still good movies being made, but they're tryin', man. with music, i've basically given up. i've just gone back to the 70s buttrock with the messy playing and weird marshall stack tones and overamped 20-something dirtbag musicians screwing it up half the time, because i've realized that's what i love. the last rock bands i've actually liked, outside of metal, which kinda runs on its own track, are radiohead and system of a down, red hots, foo fighters, and that was a LONG time ago. the future of small combo music is probably in crossover jazz, there are some people doing great work in that. medeski martin and wood has been playing magnificent jam-band style stuff for years, for instance, and are on track to become legends if you ask me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHkN3ApllCs

it's a jazz combo, yes, but tell me this isn't a rock song.

Written By: Howard on 09/01/11 at 7:21 am

I know exactly what you mean! I want my music to sound real, not homogenized and manufactured.

or computerized.

Written By: Howard on 09/01/11 at 7:23 am

She should do a hardcore porn video,why watch a video where a hot girl just shows her tits and ass?  ::)

Written By: Creeder on 09/01/11 at 9:46 am

She should do a hardcore porn video,why watch a video where a hot girl just shows her tits and ass?  ::)

Haha so true.
Here in Europe pop music videos are just softcore porn, looks like America is sadly headed our way. :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjYx5tVTvHc&feature=related
Typical bulgarian pop/country song

Written By: Howard on 09/01/11 at 12:55 pm

Haha so true.
Here in Europe pop music videos are just softcore porn, looks like America is sadly headed our way. :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjYx5tVTvHc&feature=related
Typical bulgarian pop/country song

It seems like in every video they always have to have sexy women flaunting their bodies. Has music changed where sex ONLY sells?

Written By: Creeder on 09/01/11 at 12:58 pm

It seems like in every video they always have to have sexy women flaunting their bodies. Has music changed where sex ONLY sells?

Actually sexy woman in music videos is an old idea, but it did explode in the 2000s with all the hip-hop sexist videos.

Written By: Howard on 09/01/11 at 1:05 pm

Actually sexy woman in music videos is an old idea, but it did explode in the 2000s with all the hip-hop sexist videos.

But now it's become way too much,It was nice back in the 80's but today it's become more popular where you have a sexy body,get paid to do whatever in the video and there you go.

Written By: 42 on 09/03/11 at 8:47 am

I think that will rule "rock" and pop will be mostly slower synth pop like Lights and Owl City rather than the ravey electropop that dominates 2009-'11.

Written By: Mr.Brightside on 09/04/11 at 10:44 am

Who cares about today's music? As long as we have the Internet, we can listen to anything we want. Sure it would be great if we could turn on the radio and hear something decent, but it's not like we're stuck with what's popular. But despite all this, people my age still listen to whatever is playing in clubs. *sigh* OH WELL!

Now excuse me as I listen to one of my favorite songs NOT from 2009-2011 :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q27BfBkRHbs

Written By: Creeder on 09/04/11 at 1:37 pm

Who cares about today's music? As long as we have the Internet, we can listen to anything we want. Sure it would be great if we could turn on the radio and hear something decent, but it's not like we're stuck with what's popular. But despite all this, people my age still listen to whatever is playing in clubs. *sigh*

Yeah, all that is true.
But you see its great when you actually experience a trend when its in its peak.
I would have loved to be around in the 80s hair metal or 90s grunge years.
Now there isn't anything decend to follow. :(

Written By: Howard on 09/04/11 at 7:35 pm

Who cares about today's music? As long as we have the Internet, we can listen to anything we want. Sure it would be great if we could turn on the radio and hear something decent, but it's not like we're stuck with what's popular. But despite all this, people my age still listen to whatever is playing in clubs. *sigh* OH WELL!

Now excuse me as I listen to one of my favorite songs NOT from 2009-2011 :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q27BfBkRHbs

plus you also have shoutcast radio here you can get the player and you can listen to anything you want.

Written By: Ashes Of The Wake on 09/05/11 at 8:44 pm

well there's a new wave of rappers (Wiz Khalifa,Mac Miller,Nicki Minaj,) old bands releasing new material (Red Hot Chili Peppers,Foo Fighters,Blink 182,Primus,Inucbus)  Metal is just great at the moment (Suicide Silence,Dream Theater,Children Of Bodom,Opeth,Chelsea Grin,Job For a Cowboy,The Black Dalhia Murder,Amon Amarth.)

2011 to most people means Rebecca Black,Justin Bieber and all that s*** but 2011 to me was a great year for music.

Check for new replies or respond here...