inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: VH-1 _______-ball Wives Shows - What's the Point?

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/28/11 at 10:24 am

Can anybody here explain the appeal of the various Basketball/Football Wives shows on VH-1?

Whenever I am channel surfing it seems to be on 24/7.  But there's no real plot other than a bunch of women cackling and snipping at each other, calling one another bitches and hoes, complaining about all sorts of perceived slights and the ubiquitous "disrespect".  Occasionally having "fights" but not the real kind where people can get injured.  Hey if you want to show that, just put on some early 1990's rap videos.

Meanwhile you know that whilst the ladies are out cackling and snipping at each other, the hubbies are on the road, each trying to break Wilt Chamberlain's record, partying with anything that moves.

At least on the cheesy reality 'competition' shows each week has a conclusion... somebody gets kicked off.  But on these shows, you want EVERYBODY kicked off and for the show to not return for another week.

Anybody know what's the deal with this cr@p? ???

Subject: Re: VH-1 _______-ball Wives Shows - What's the Point?

Written By: snozberries on 08/28/11 at 11:00 am

VH1 is trying to cash in on the Housewives of...... popularity.    But since Housewives have branched out into most of the big cities they had to find a way to revamp it.... the sports wives are just as Big, Brash, Confrontational and Frivilous as the Housewives of.... plus they have a rep for being money grabbing ho's so you know.....that shyt sells.  I don't watch it but I know a lot of people who do.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/11 at 12:22 pm

Are the wives singing on this program?  ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/28/11 at 2:21 pm

I watched it and I don't even care for that show.

Written By: RG1995 on 08/28/11 at 9:15 pm

ratings

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/29/11 at 12:38 am

Depends -- is "ball" a noun or a verb?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/naughty.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/30/11 at 10:06 pm

Whenever I am channel surfing it seems to be on 24/7.  But there's no real plot other than a bunch of women cackling and snipping at each other, calling one another bitches and hoes, complaining about all sorts of perceived slights and the ubiquitous "disrespect".  Occasionally having "fights" but not the real kind where people can get injured.  Hey if you want to show that, just put on some early 1990's rap videos.

(...)

People who watch reality shows - whether people get kicked off or not - are doing it because they like the drama.  The getting kicked off part, the prize money, all that stuff is only a vehicle that drives the drama.

The bulk of my experience with reality TV consists of the first ten minutes of the first episode of Survivor.  Having been raised on dystopian sci-fi like The Running Man (and a few episodes of a documentary called Max Headroom that some brave future soul will someday manage to sneak into a time machine set for 1985), when I found out that nobody in a "new, edgy show called Survivor, that pits contestants against each other on a deserted island" would even be at the risk of serious injury, let alone actually getting killed for the sake of ratings, I went "Meh?  What's the point?" and turned the channel.

If your success or failure is based on the opinions of your peers, you're not playing Survivor, you're playing Office Politics, and doesn't everybody get enough of that at the day job?

But the market has spoken, and I'm in the minority.  The genre sells drama, because it's the drama that sells.

Written By: snozberries on 08/30/11 at 10:14 pm

Watching someone elses drama is way more satisfying than dealing with my own.
Having said tgat I hate most relationship reality tv. Particularly hook up shows. Some of the family dramas work if I'm interested in the families. I will never watch a housewives of because I could care less about them but I do make an exception for Beverly hills because it's a city I spend a lot of time in and features people I "know". I've been watching the Marty twins because they amuse me.
I didn't watch the braxtons but I thought about it. Fan of Tomis and one of the sisters was ppm a show I loved 'starting over' so it'd be nice to see what she's up to. I watched some of chili's show (from TLC) but couldn't get into it.  :(

Written By: Bobby on 08/31/11 at 11:25 am

I remember when VH1 used to be a good music channel. Actually, I remember there was once a time when channels provided 'exactly what it said on the tin'.

Written By: Howard on 08/31/11 at 1:40 pm

I remember when VH1 used to be a good music channel. Actually, I remember there was once a time when channels provided 'exactly what it said on the tin'.

and now they've become nothing but reality show crap.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/31/11 at 4:58 pm

Can anybody here explain the appeal of the various Basketball/Football Wives shows on VH-1?

What is the difference between this show and all the other unreality shows?

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/31/11 at 6:45 pm

What is the difference between this show and all the other unreality shows?

Well at least the other reality shows have some sort of competition or plot.  Looking at the VH1 variety, "Flavor of Love" or "Rock of Love with Bret Michaels" at least had a competition where somebody got kicked off each week.  And at the end there was a climax, the "winner".  Granted that is not much, but it is at least something.

These "wives" shows have no plot, no beginning, no end.  Just a bunch of women cackling and snipping at each other, blabbering about being "disrespected",  whilst their hubbies and jumpoffs are out partying Big Willy Style.

The Mob Wives show I would put in the same category as the ______ball Wives franchise.  No plot, just people yapping and snipping about nothing.

Written By: snozberries on 08/31/11 at 6:47 pm

Well at least the other reality shows have some sort of competition or plot.  Looking at the VH1 variety, "Flavor of Love" or "Rock of Love with Bret Michaels" at least had a competition where somebody got kicked off each week.  And at the end there was a climax, the "winner".  Granted that is not much, but it is at least something.

These "wives" shows have no plot, no beginning, no end.  Just a bunch of women cackling and snipping at each other, blabbering about being "disrespected",  whilst their hubbies and jumpoffs are out partying Big Willy Style.

The Mob Wives show I would put in the same category as the ______ball Wives franchise.  No plot, just people yapping and snipping about nothing.

It's the same reason people watch soaps and dramas.... they want to see conflict and drama. it's  a form of escape.

you realize of course there's very little reality in reality tv...it's mostly scripted scenarios with people paid to act/react in explosively dramatic ways.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/31/11 at 6:49 pm

It's the same reason people watch soaps and dramas.... they want to see conflict and drama. it's  a form of escape.

True true... but what's up with all the cackling and screaming at each other?  That's just annoying.

Written By: snozberries on 08/31/11 at 6:51 pm

True true... but what's up with all the cackling and screaming at each other?  That's just annoying.

to you maybe but not to the million plus people who tune into it every week.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/31/11 at 6:54 pm

So?.....Are any of you going to buy the new Kim Kardashian record?

Written By: snozberries on 08/31/11 at 7:10 pm

I'm still mad at her for screwing up my drive home after a 14 hr shift so NO!!!  >:(

Written By: 80sfan on 08/31/11 at 7:15 pm

I'm still mad at her for screwing up my drive home after a 14 hr shift so NO!!!  >:(

Was her car blocking your way?

Written By: snozberries on 08/31/11 at 7:29 pm

Was her car blocking your way?

no... her wedding closed off my street so I had to go around the long way to get home.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/01/11 at 12:52 am

no... her wedding closed off my street so I had to go around the long way to get home.

Sorry that happened to you.

Written By: Howard on 09/01/11 at 7:13 am

you realize of course there's very little reality in reality tv...it's mostly scripted scenarios with people paid to act/react in explosively dramatic ways.

It's almost like watching soap operas.

Written By: Howard on 09/01/11 at 7:14 am

HELL NO!

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 09/01/11 at 3:48 pm

Whenever I am channel surfing it seems to be on 24/7.  But there's no real plot other than a bunch of women cackling and snipping at each other, calling one another bitches and hoes, complaining about all sorts of perceived slights and the ubiquitous "disrespect".  Occasionally having "fights" but not the real kind where people can get injured.  Hey if you want to show that, just put on some early 1990's rap videos.

Meanwhile you know that whilst the ladies are out cackling and snipping at each other, the hubbies are on the road, each trying to break Wilt Chamberlain's record, partying with anything that moves.

At least on the cheesy reality 'competition' shows each week has a conclusion... somebody gets kicked off.  But on these shows, you want EVERYBODY kicked off and for the show to not return for another week.

The point is to give stupid people stupid sheesh to watch. Letting people be famous who don't really deserve it, be famous. People like them, and Paris, and the Kardasian's are only famous by association. They don't deserve it, stop encouraging them.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/01/11 at 11:39 pm

Genuinely curious here - why?  I'm OK with someone else's conflict as an escape mechanism, but it's gotta matter.  Axis vs. Allies?  Commies vs. America?  Plants vs. Zombies?  I'm down.

But interpersonal drama?  Henpecking, chestbeating, or other games of one-upsmanship?  That sort of drama's what I'm usually trying to escape from.  I just don't get the fascination with it.  (Anyone who's into the whole interpersonal drama thing, whether it be in real life or on TV, what's the fun part about it that I'm missing? :)

Very true.

Written By: snozberries on 09/02/11 at 2:13 am

Why did Shakespeare write plays. Why does the world still watch them?
Love/hate success/failure fighting/reconciliation it's all in there.

There are Heroes and villains in all reality shows just like in Shakespeare and just like in movies.
There's an issue, obstacle, common goal. Just because you don't like the delivery method doesn't make it any less valid
There are good reality shows and bad ones but all of them serve a purpose for someone. If you don't like it don't watch it.

As I said I don't particularly enjoy the dating shows. But the shows that I do watch, and I watch a lot of reality tv, I watch it to observe the social dynamics. I like watching human interaction and reaction to conflict. I like observing the social patterns  emerge and how people adapt to survive.

Given the choice between Much Ado About Nothing or watching Winona and Naomi on OWN I'll go for the Judds every time.

Written By: Bobby on 09/03/11 at 9:41 pm

Why did Shakespeare write plays. Why does the world still watch them?
Love/hate success/failure fighting/reconciliation it's all in there.

There are Heroes and villains in all reality shows just like in Shakespeare and just like in movies.
There's an issue, obstacle, common goal. Just because you don't like the delivery method doesn't make it any less valid
There are good reality shows and bad ones but all of them serve a purpose for someone. If you don't like it don't watch it.

As I said I don't particularly enjoy the dating shows. But the shows that I do watch, and I watch a lot of reality tv, I watch it to observe the social dynamics. I like watching human interaction and reaction to conflict. I like observing the social patterns  emerge and how people adapt to survive.

Given the choice between Much Ado About Nothing or watching Winona and Naomi on OWN I'll go for the Judds every time.

I think my issue isn't with reality shows in general (even though the relentless saturation has left me desensitized) but where they are placed in the TV schedule. Music channels like MTV and VH1 were mainly used for music once upon a time. My opinion is that reality TV has a place but not on music channels - otherwise, what's the point in having these topic specific channels? We may as well call them SKY 503 or SKY 508 instead.

Written By: snozberries on 09/03/11 at 9:45 pm

I think my issue isn't with reality shows in general (even though the relentless saturation has left me desensitized) but where they are placed in the TV schedule. Music channels like MTV and VH1 were mainly used for music once upon a time. My opinion is that reality TV has a place but not on music channels - otherwise, what's the point in having these topic specific channels? We may as well call them SKY 503 or SKY 508 instead.

but the music channels (at least on Directv in the US have alternate channels that play music)  There's a VH1 classic, Fuse and some others I don't really use my TV for music purposes so I don't know them all...

Written By: Bobby on 09/03/11 at 10:07 pm

but the music channels (at least on Directv in the US have alternate channels that play music)  There's a VH1 classic, Fuse and some others I don't really use my TV for music purposes so I don't know them all...

I'm not too sure what we get over here in the UK as it's been about 3 years since I had cable TV. If I remember we had Magic and other bits and pieces but MTV and VH1 were what I called serious music channels at one point. Sadly, I can't call them that now. Nevertheless, VH1 Classic is good for old music.

Written By: snozberries on 09/03/11 at 10:28 pm

I'm not too sure what we get over here in the UK as it's been about 3 years since I had cable TV. If I remember we had Magic and other bits and pieces but MTV and VH1 were what I called serious music channels at one point. Sadly, I can't call them that now. Nevertheless, VH1 Classic is good for old music.

well who in their right mind would want to listen to new music?  :D

Written By: Howard on 09/04/11 at 6:41 am

I like VH1 Classic.

Written By: Howard on 09/04/11 at 6:42 am

I'm all about the jamminoldies.

Written By: Bobby on 09/04/11 at 6:46 am

A fair point, lol.

Written By: 00s_teen on 09/04/11 at 7:12 am

Since I'm from Europe, I want to share my European point of view.
Our VH1 East Europe was great circa 2001-2005. It already showed modern music, but it still ran "So 80s" and "Smells like the 90s".
Most of these moved to VH1 Classic, so now VH1 shows mostly current music over here. It sort of became like what MTV should be. Yet, our MTV is like yours - a reality TV heaven (or rather - a hell).
Seems like people in the US have it even worse - both VH1 and MTV are reality TV chanels now.
Most of our cable operators here don't have VH1 Classic which sucks, I want my "So 80s back".  :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...