inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New TV fall schedule 2011-12

Written By: King Tut on 09/06/11 at 3:30 pm

http://www.tvguide.com/special/fall-preview/fall-schedule.aspx

Fall Schedule: New TV Shows

2 Broke Girls (CBS)  Premieres: Monday, Sept. 19 at 9:30/8:30c (moves to regular time slot on Sept. 26 at 8:30/7:30c
As the title suggests, the sitcom is about two broke girls: Max (Kat Dennings), a smart-mouthed Brooklyn waitress who also works as a nanny, and her new coworker Caroline (Beth Behrs), an heiress who must now make her own living after her Bernie Madoff-like pops is locked up in jail. They don't get off on the best foot, but they end up moving in together and plan to start their own business (Max makes some killer cupcakes). It's like a modern-day Laverne & Shirley!

Allen Gregory (Fox)
Premieres: Sunday, Oct. 30 at 8:30/7:30c
Created and voiced by Jonah Hill, this animated comedy introduces us to precocious 7-year-old Allen Gregory DeLonpre (Hill), who after being homeschooled all his life by his father, Richard (French Stewart), embarks on his biggest challenge yet: attending public school. Naturally, he doesn't have the easiest time fitting in. Nat Faxon and Joy Osmanski will voice Jeremy, Richard's partner, and Julie, Allen's adopted Cambodian sister, respectively. Leslie Mann, Renee Taylor and Will Forte will guest-star.

American Horror Story (FX)

Premieres: Wednesday, Oct. 5 at 10/9c
Ryan Murphy returns to FX with Glee co-creator Brad Falchuk for this psychosexual horror mystery series. Dylan McDermott and Connie Britton star as Ben and Vivien Sherman, a couple who moves to Los Angeles to make a fresh start only to find that their new home is not exactly warm and cozy. Instead, there's a creepy creature in the basement and at least one character who may or may not be dead. Jessica Lange and Denis O'Hare co-star.

Charlie's Angels (ABC)

Premieres: Thursday, Sept. 22 at 8/7c
Hello, Angels! This frothy, Miami-set reboot stars Minka Kelly, Rachael Taylor and Annie Ilonzeh as the latest incarnation of the crime-fighting trio — but it doesn't start out that way. Eve (Kelly), a rogue street racer, joins the group after her childhood friend/original Angel Gloria is murdered. Something tells us she'll fit in just fine. Fun fact: The series will premiere on the same day the original show debuted 35 years ago.

Enlightened (HBO)
Premieres: Monday, Oct. 10 at 9:30/8:30c
Tired of all the dark, morally gray characters on TV these days? Meet Amy (Laura Dern), a self-destructive woman who decides to turn her life around after experiencing a spiritual awakening in rehab. Diane Ladd (Dern's real-life mom), Luke Wilson and Tim Sharp co-star as Amy's mom, ex-husband and boss, respectively, who are less than thrilled with her new sunny, can-do disposition. Advice on how to live life from a former addict? The irony's not lost on them. Created by School of Rock, Freaks and Geeks and Dawson's Creek writer (and two-time Amazing Race contestant) Mike White.

Free Agents (NBC)

Premieres: Wednesday, Sept. 14 at 10:30/9:30c (moves to regular time slot on Sept. 21 at 8:30/7:30c
A remake of a British (duh) comedy, the sitcom stars Hank Azaria and Kathryn Hahn as Alex and Helen, newly single coworkers who start to develop feelings for each other after having a drunken one-night stand. (Isn't that how it always is?) Buffy alum Anthony Head, who starred on the U.K. version, will reprise his role as Stephen, their boss. We know — we'd rather see him on Ringer too.

A Gifted Man (CBS)

Premieres: Friday, Sept. 23 at 8/7c
He sees dead people! Actually, just one dead person. Michael Holt (Patrick Wilson) is a hot-shot, arrogant surgeon whose life gets thrown for a loop when his recently deceased ex-wife, Anna (Jennifer Ehle), starts appearing to him to teach him about life from the hereafter. (Thnk House meets Eli Stone meets Ghost Whisperer.) The show was created by Oscar-nominated screenwriter Susannah Grant (Erin Brockovich), features a supporting cast that includes Julie Benz and Justified's Margo Martindale, and had Jonathan Demme at the helm of its pilot.

Grimm (NBC)  Premieres: Friday, Oct. 21 at 9/8c
Better brush up on your German. Grimm's Fairy Tales gets a procedural twist with Nick Burkhardt (David Giuntoli), a detective who discovers his destiny is to protect humans from the storybook baddies that have invaded our real world. Speaking of the real world, Giuntoli is a Road Rules: South Pacific and Real World/Road Rules Challenge: The Gauntlet alum. Get all the jokes out now.

H8R (CW)

Premieres: Wednesday, Sept. 14 at 8/7c
If you despise Kim Kardashian, Snooki or any other overexposed celeb, then this is the show for you. Host Mario Lopez will bring together stars and their civilian haters so they can convince these detractors to see the error of their ways. Truce or not, look for some very bruised egos.

Hart of Dixie (CW)
Premieres: Monday, Sept. 26 at 9/8c
Call it Southern Exposure. Rachel Bilson reunites with The O.C. creator Josh Schwartz for this medical drama, playing big-city doc Zoe Hart, who heads to tiny Bluebell, Ala., when she inherits a practice. Expect culture clashes galore and Zoe to stay put after coming through in a medical emergency and discovering an old secret. Having Scott Porter play your potential beau doesn't hurt either.

Hell on Wheels (AMC)
Premieres: Sunday, Nov. 6 at 10/9c
Deadwood 2.0? Not exactly. For one, producers are calling this post-Civil War drama an "Eastern," not a "Western," mostly because it's set against the building of the Transcontinental Railroad as it follows Cullen Bohannan (Anson Mount), a Confederate soldier on the hunt for the Union soldiers who killed his wife. Sounds like Easterns have the same tales of vengeance that Westerns do! The show takes its name from the traveling camps, brothels and saloons that followed the railroad workers during construction.

Homeland (Showtime)

Premieres: Sunday, Oct. 2 at 10/9c
The artists formerly known as Angela Chase and Inigo Montoya, aka Claire Danes and Mandy Patinkin, headline this suspense thriller that's based on an Israeli series. Danes plays CIA officer Carrie Anderson, who is suspicious about the intel that led to the rescue of U.S. soldier Nicholas Brody (Damian Lewis) 10 years after he went missing during the invasion of Baghdad. Patinkin plays her boss and mentor, Saul, in his first TV gig since his controversial exit from Criminal Minds four years ago. Here's to history not repeating.

How to Be a Gentleman (CBS)

Premieres: Thursday, Sept. 29 at 8:30/7:30c
"Andrew and Bert" don't have the same ring as "Oscar and Felix," but that's exactly who they are — the 21st-century Odd Couple. Based on the book of the same name, the sitcom stars David Hornsby (Mr. Emily Deschanel) as the Felix-like Andrew, an uptight, sophisticated writer who pens a column for a men's magazine. When the mag wants to make its tone younger and edgier, Alan strikes up an unlikely friendship with his old classmate, Bert (Kevin Dillon), an exuberant personal trainer who will show Andrew how to be a manly man. Because if there's anyone who can teach you how to live, it's Johnny Drama.

I Hate My Teenage Daughter (Fox) Premieres: Wednesday, Nov. 23 at 9:30/8:30c
Don't you love it when the title says it all? Jaime Pressly and Katie Finneran are Annie and Nikki, two single moms, who fret their daughters are turning into the same type of mean girls who tormented them in high school — all because they spoiled them growing up. So now they fear them... and also want to be their BFFs. Healthy relationships all around!

Last Man Standing (ABC)

Premieres: Tuesday, Oct. 11 at 8/7c
Remember how it was the boys against mom on Home Improvement? Well, now it's the girls against dad. Tim Allen returns to TV as Mike Baxter, a father of three girls who feels he’s under siege being a man in a woman's world after his wife, Vanessa (Nancy Travis), successfully rejoins the workforce while he remains at home. Too bad he doesn't have Tool Time to make him feel secure in his masculinity.

Man Up! (ABC)

Premieres: Tuesday, Oct. 18 at 8:30/7:30c
It's hard out there for a guy these days, haven't you heard? Like its network-mate and lead-in Last Man Standing, Man Up! also explores the emasculation of the modern man in an increasingly estrogen-dominated universe through three best friends (Mather Zickel, Dan Fogler and Chris Moynihan, who's also the show's writer and executive producer). They are 40 going on 14 until they realize it's time to, well, man up and get in touch with their macho side — if they even know how to do that.

New Girl (Fox)

Premieres: Tuesday, Sept. 20 at 9/8c
Zooey Deschanel joins big sis Emily on Fox as Jess, a socially awkward gal who moves in with three bachelors (Max Greenfield, Jake Johnson and Damon Wayans Jr., whose part has been recast since Happy Endings was renewed) after getting dumped by her boyfriend. The guys only take in her blubbering, Dirty Dancing-watching mess because her BFF is a model (Hannah Simone). But they soon come to appreciate Jess' quirkiness (Zooey's quirky? You don't say!) and try to snap her out of her funk to help her re-enter the dating scene. So yes, you'll have to suspend disbelief that Zooey Deschanel has trouble attracting guys.

Once Upon a Time (ABC)
Premieres: Sunday, Oct. 23 at 8/7c
Do you think fairy tales are real? They are in Storybrooke, Maine, a town frozen in time with fairy tale figures who have no recollection of their real identities. Leave it to 10-year-old Henry (Jared Gilmore) to try to set things right when he tracks down his birth mom, Emma Swan (Jennifer Morrison), a bail bonds collector who is the daughter of Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin) and Prince Charming (Joshua Dallas). The fantastical drama, which will tell dual stories set in present-day Storybrooke and in fairy tale land, comes from Lost writers Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz, so keep your eyes and ears peeled for lots of references to time travel and polar bears.

Pan Am (ABC)

Premieres: Sunday, Sept. 25 at 10/9c
Come fly with them! Set in the '60s, the drama centers on the loves and lives of stewardesses (led by Christina Ricci) of the iconic titular airline. Although lauded as symbols of sleek, Jet Age glamour, their personal lives are full of turbulence. Kelli Garner, Margot Robbie and Karine Vanasse round out the Barbie doll-like crew, who are as adept at coffee service as they are at… oh wait, we can't ruin that twist.

Person of Interest (CBS)

Premieres: Thursday, Sept. 22 at 9/8c
Remember Minority Report? Person of Interest — from J.J. Abrams and Jonathan Nolan (aka Christopher's brother) — is like that, but a bit more complicated. Stick with us, if you will: Finch (Michael Emerson) is a mysterious (could Emerson play anything less?) billionaire who has created a surveillance program for the government that identifies people who will be involved in a future crime — either as a perp or a victim. Finch reaches out to Reese (Jim Caviezel), a presumed-dead CIA agent-turned-drunk, to stop the crimes before they occur. Got that? Now will you be watching as closely as those surveillance cameras?

Prime Suspect (NBC)
Premieres: Thursday, Sept. 22 at 10/9c
It's hard to follow in Helen Mirren's footsteps, but that's exactly what Maria Bello is out to do. An adaptation of the British series — for which Mirren won two Emmys — the procedural follows Detective Jane Timoney (Bello), a badass New York City cop who tries to prove herself in a male-dominated precinct. Take that, Man Up!

Revenge (ABC)

Premieres: Wednesday, Sept. 21 at 10/9c
The drama stars Emily VanCamp as Emily Thorne, a mysterious woman who heads to the Hamptons under the guise of wooing Daniel (Joshua Bowman), the son of Victoria Grayson (Madeleine Stowe). But she's actually there to exact revenge on the people (ahem, Victoria) who destroyed her family. It's a contemporary re-telling of The Count of Monte Cristo, but Emily Thorne makes for a much prettier little liar than Edmond Dantes.

Ringer (CW)

Premieres: Tuesday, Sept. 13 at 9/8c
Sarah Michelle Gellar's back! And this time, there's two of her! Gellar plays twins Bridget and Siobhan — both decidedly un-Buffy-like — in this mystery thriller that was originally developed for CBS. Bridget, a recovering alcoholic, is on the run from some baddies and decides to hide out by taking the identity of her wealthy twin sis, who is thought to be dead. Turns out taking on Siobhan's persona puts Bridget in a very different kind of danger. Lost alum Nestor Carbonell co-stars, but don't expect any sci-fi stuff, à la Lost and Buffy, on Ringer. "No hatch! No island!" Gellar says.

The Secret Circle (CW)

Premieres: Thursday, Sept. 15 at 9/8c
Something wicked this way comes from Kevin Williamson once again. The man who gave us Vampire Diaries has now adapted L.J. Smith's other supernatural book series. Britt Robertson is Cassie Blake, a California teen who moves to Chance Harbor, Wash., where she discovers she's a witch and joins a secret coven that includes Thomas Dekker, Phoebe Tonkin and Shelley Hennig. But don't think you will know what's coming if you've read the novels. Why? (Spoiler alert!) The show kills off someone who survived the whole book series in the opening minutes of the pilot.

Suburgatory (ABC)

Premieres: Wednesday, Sept. 28 at 8:30/7:30c
Ah the good ol' city vs. suburbs war. Tessa (Jane Levy), a native New Yorker, is abruptly uprooted to the 'burbs after her single dad, George (Jeremy Sisto), finds a box of condoms in her drawer and decides she needs to be in a more wholesome environment. Of course, their new cookie-cutter neighborhood is anything but appealing to Tessa, who loathes her school's mean girls and their obsession with all things superficial. Don't worry, Tessa, purgatory is only temporary.

Terra Nova (Fox)

Premieres: Monday, Sept. 26 at 8/7c
Doesn't it feel like we've been talking about this show for five years? At long last, the Steven Spielberg-produced dino drama — about the Shannon family (led by Jason O'Mara) who travels back to prehistoric Earth to save the human race — will hit our TV sets with dinosaurs of every friendly and not-so-friendly variety. "You're going to see some pretty cool dino-on-man action," co-executive producer Jose Molina says. "Epic dino-on-man action." No, not like that!

Unforgettable (CBS)

Premieres: Tuesday, Sept. 20 at 10/9c
The latest to join CBS' litany of gifted crime solvers is Carrie Wells (Poppy Montgomery), a New York City detective who has the rare ability to remember everything. Except for one event: She's desperately trying to solve the murder of her sister, whose body Carrie found as a child, but cannot recall what happened that day. In case you're wondering, this special ability is very much real — Marilu Henner has it and serves as a consultant on the show, which is based on J. Robert Lennon's short story "The Rememberer."

Up All Night (NBC)

Premieres: Wednesday, Sept. 14 at 10/9c (moves to regular time slot on Sept. 21 at 8/7c
Featuring one of the more high-profile new casts, the Emily Spivey (Parks and Recreation) comedy stars Christina Applegate and Will Arnett as Reagan and Chris, new parents juggling work (Maya Rudolph is Applegate's boss and BFF), romance and, oh yeah, that baby, who has put a little damper on their social life. That doesn't stop Reagan and Chris from partying it, uh, up all night, only to be hungover when their daughter needs a new diaper the next morning. See, the title works on so many levels!

Whitney (NBC)

Premieres: Thursday, Sept. 22 at 9:30/8:30c
The darling of this year's slate, Whitney Cummings (who also co-created 2 Broke Girls) will headline her eponymous sitcom as the titular character who tries to rekindle the flame with her beau of five years, Alex (Chris D'Elia), after they attend a pal's wedding. Zoe Lister-Jones, Maulik Pancholy, Ree Seahorn and Dan O'Brien co-star as their friends, the former two as a couple, so look at it as a cross between Friends and Happy Endings.

The X Factor (Fox)

Premieres: Wednesday, Sept. 21 at 8/7c
After two years, America's Sweethearts — Simon Cowell and Paula Abdul — will finally return to our screens as judges on Cowell's long-gestating pet project. Adapted from his U.K. version, the talent show is not completely identical to the duo's former stomping ground, American Idol. X Factor is open to groups, people as young as 12 can audition, there is no upper age limit, and judges (who also includes L.A. Reid and Nicole Scherzinger, who already replaced Cheryl Cole) will also mentor contestants, not unlike The Voice. Oh, and there's also the prize money: $5 million — the largest purse in television history.

Subject: Re: New TV fall schedule 2011-12

Written By: King Tut on 09/06/11 at 3:32 pm

Loads of new shows. Which ones will you watch?

I'm thinking of watching "Pan-Am", "Ringer" and "Prime Suspect"
I might gives others a try.

Written By: snozberries on 09/06/11 at 4:23 pm

All of them!  :D

I'm currently waiting in line  to see the fall preview of some of the CBS shows.

Paley center screens a couple eps from each network every night

Tonight is CBS. The panel tho is criminal minds.
Tomorrow is CW w/ panel feat the ringer (SMG!!!  8) O0 ) hart of Dixie & secret circle.
Thurs NBC with cast of Whiteny.
Fri is my Castle set visit!!! (nothing to do with Paley but I'm excited!!!)
Sat is abc I can't make it. Cast from the comedies on abc tho. and later that day the cast of revenge.
Mon is fox w/ Zooey dechanel  cast of something, producers of terra nova

Written By: King Tut on 09/06/11 at 4:27 pm

All of them!  :D

I'm currently waiting in line  to see the fall preview of some of the CBS shows.

Cool! That explains why you know so much about TV and actors.
Sorry for the length of my original post, it took a while, copying, pasting, editing.
I know I won't watch the X factor. I think Simon can take a flying leap into a pool filled with burning oil, I don't care for him at all.

Written By: snozberries on 09/06/11 at 4:46 pm

Cool! That explains why you know so much about TV and actors.
Sorry for the length of my original post, it took a while, copying, pasting, editing.
I know I won't watch the X factor. I think Simon can take a flying leap into a pool filled with burning oil, I don't care for him at all.

Simon amuses me. He's very nice in person!

Written By: King Tut on 09/06/11 at 5:08 pm

Simon amuses me. He's very nice in person!

Maybe he is, but he comes across as a total asshole on TV.  ;D

Written By: lorac61469 on 09/06/11 at 5:28 pm

I really like Zooey Deschanel, I hope her show does well.

Written By: whistledog on 09/06/11 at 10:06 pm

I am looking forward to just 2 of them:  Whitney and X-Factor.

I really think 'Up All Night' is going to fail.

Written By: snozberries on 09/07/11 at 4:29 am

I really like Zooey Deschanel, I hope her show does well.

The pilot is (yesterday at least) avail for free download on iTunes. Hurry before they yank it

Written By: Henk on 09/07/11 at 5:37 am

Loads of new shows. Which ones will you watch?

None of the above. :P

Charlie's Angels (ABC)

Premieres: Thursday, Sept. 22 at 8/7c
Hello, Angels! This frothy, Miami-set reboot stars Minka Kelly, Rachael Taylor and Annie Ilonzeh as the latest incarnation of the crime-fighting trio — but it doesn't start out that way. Eve (Kelly), a rogue street racer, joins the group after her childhood friend/original Angel Gloria is murdered. Something tells us she'll fit in just fine. Fun fact: The series will premiere on the same day the original show debuted 35 years ago.

WTH??!?!??!?!??!

DOOMED to fail! (Well, at least I seriously hope so!)

Person of Interest (CBS)

Premieres: Thursday, Sept. 22 at 9/8c
Remember Minority Report? Person of Interest — from J.J. Abrams and Jonathan Nolan (aka Christopher's brother) — is like that, but a bit more complicated. Stick with us, if you will: Finch (Michael Emerson) is a mysterious (could Emerson play anything less?) billionaire who has created a surveillance program for the government that identifies people who will be involved in a future crime — either as a perp or a victim. Finch reaches out to Reese (Jim Caviezel), a presumed-dead CIA agent-turned-drunk, to stop the crimes before they occur. Got that? Now will you be watching as closely as those surveillance cameras?

Another show that I can't see lasting more than one season.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/07/11 at 4:53 pm

I'm gonna watch the X Factor.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/08/11 at 12:10 am

2 Broke Girls (CBS)  Premieres: Monday, Sept. 19 at 9:30/8:30c (moves to regular time slot on Sept. 26 at 8:30/7:30c
As the title suggests, the sitcom is about two broke girls:

...and one cup.

Written By: snozberries on 09/08/11 at 2:23 am

Didn't stay and watch CBS shows last night

Tonight didn't really get to see the ringer because we were getting some pics taken.

Watched most of hart of Dixie....it was alright. As one of the stars said it's a slow build.  My friend said it was like the feel of Everwood/7th Heaven with the small town quirkiness (character wise) of Gilmore Girls. I was busy talking to a Paley staff member so I missed that. Mostly I thought it was Doc Hollywood meets Precious.  ;D

Didn't stay for secret circle

Written By: 80sfan on 09/08/11 at 4:04 am

...and one cup.

Yeah, I remember that 'phenomenon'. It was discussed all over Youtube a few years ago! ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 09/08/11 at 4:08 am

I'm looking forward to the X-Factor and Charlie's Angel the most! 8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/08/11 at 5:35 am

In the UK, the autumn schedule has already started with The X Factor starting several weeks ago, and Strictly Come Dancing is due to begin on Saturday.

For the better of everything, Celebrity Big Brother has it's final tonight.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/08/11 at 5:56 am

In the UK, the autumn schedule has already started with The X Factor starting several weeks ago, and Strictly Come Dancing is due to begin on Saturday.

The X Factor is just starting in America I think.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/08/11 at 5:57 am

The X Factor is just starting in America I think.
Of which we get on a cable television very soon.

Written By: Howard on 09/08/11 at 7:19 am

...and one cup.

Foo,have you been watching that video?  :D Please tell me you didn't? I hope it's no reality show for 2012. 8-P

Written By: Howard on 09/08/11 at 7:20 am

Yeah, I remember that 'phenomenon'. It was discussed all over Youtube a few years ago! ::)

2 Girls One Cup coming to CBS Fall 2011 ;D

Written By: lorac61469 on 09/08/11 at 3:01 pm

The pilot is (yesterday at least) avail for free download on iTunes. Hurry before they yank it

I watched it. It's OK, I laughed a few times and a few times I think it fell kinda flat.  Did you watch it?

Written By: King Tut on 09/08/11 at 3:30 pm

I missed the seaon finale for "Combat hospital". Unsure if you get this show outside of Canada.
It's not bad, at times. Don't know if it will be renewed this fall.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/11 at 1:17 am

The star of My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding, Paddy Doherty, has been crowned the winner of Celebrity Big Brother.

Ex-Atomic Kitten star Kerry Katona was voted the runner-up.

The favourites to win, pop stars John and Edward Grimes - also known as Jedward - came third after being voted the "most annoying" housemates.

Written By: Antwuan on 09/10/11 at 5:20 am

Im looking forward to Ringer. I really like Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Check for new replies or respond here...