inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How come no one makes pop music with a late 90s sound anymore?

Written By: famemonster99 on 09/08/11 at 2:23 pm

I've heard pop music and other types of music that go back to the 80s and early 90s, but rarely do you hear anyone make pop sounds with the late 90s riff/ early 00s sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moVIA6t5sws&feature=player_embedded

Subject: Re: How come no one makes pop music with a late 90s sound anymore?

Written By: Creeder on 09/08/11 at 2:36 pm

Be patient, millenium style of music will return in the late 10s.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/08/11 at 2:42 pm

You mean pop like Hanson, Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys, Nsync, Christina, Britney, M2M, Mandy Moore?

Written By: famemonster99 on 09/08/11 at 6:55 pm

You mean pop like Hanson, Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys, Nsync, Christina, Britney, M2M, Mandy Moore?

yes

Written By: whistledog on 09/08/11 at 7:24 pm

yes

why

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/08/11 at 8:15 pm

How come nobody REGISTERS any more? ???

Written By: snozberries on 09/08/11 at 8:20 pm

How come nobody REGISTERS any more? ???

Because they were banned and aren't allowed too.  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/08/11 at 8:36 pm

Because they were banned and aren't allowed too.  ::)

The return of Mr. Darko? ???

Written By: snozberries on 09/08/11 at 8:40 pm

I dunno. Possibly. Or some other annoying person.

Written By: Bobby on 09/08/11 at 8:43 pm

Be patient, millenium style of music will return in the late 10s.

I agree, musical styles seem to make a short-lived comeback every 20 years.

Written By: Howard on 09/09/11 at 6:49 am

I hope not.  ::)

Written By: Shiv on 09/09/11 at 7:38 pm

I've heard pop music and other types of music that go back to the 80s and early 90s, but rarely do you hear anyone make pop sounds with the late 90s riff/ early 00s sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moVIA6t5sws&feature=player_embedded

Still too recent. The 80s and early 90s are vintage/retro at this point. The late 90s aren't yet. Give it another few years.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/09/11 at 7:57 pm

Still too recent. The 80s and early 90s are vintage/retro at this point. The late 90s aren't yet. Give it another few years.

This is true, it's not old enough yet.

Written By: kairosan on 09/09/11 at 9:21 pm

Because that's what happen in life bud. Change can be good sometimes. At least people have more colorful styles of clothes in the early 2010's. You are going to miss The Rock Party Anthem in 20 years, I bet ya. So enjoy the contemporary music sound now.

Written By: Howard on 09/10/11 at 6:59 am

maybe about 10-15 years from now.

Written By: tnf on 09/10/11 at 11:47 am

Now, much of such music is crap, according to a lot of people. It's simply not cool to like it.

In 10/15 years, people will possibly still think it's crap (deep in their hearts), but will start to like it again, in an ironic way. That's what happening with Mc Hammer and Vanilla Ice, at the moment.

I don't play much typical teen pop from 2004-2009 at Only 00s, because it's quite risky. Because of the reason given above. Some of the 2000-2003 teen pop is a little bit campy already. From the 2004-2009 era, I play more grown-up music.

Written By: Howard on 09/10/11 at 7:43 pm

Now, much of such music is crap, according to a lot of people. It's simply not cool to like it.

In 10/15 years, people will possibly still think it's crap (deep in their hearts), but will start to like it again, in an ironic way. That's what happening with Mc Hammer and Vanilla Ice, at the moment.

I don't play much typical teen pop from 2004-2009 at Only 00s, because it's quite risky. Because of the reason given above. Some of the 2000-2003 teen pop is a little bit campy already. From the 2004-2009 era, I play more grown-up music.

I guess when you're a teenager you kind of like teen pop but guys like me who are in their late 30's you tend to like the older music the music I grew up listening to.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/11/11 at 1:33 am

This.

Much of the music I grew up with was crap.  When you get old enough, you realize it's OK to say you liked it even though it was crap.  It's a small step from there to hipsterism, wherein you like it because it was crap.

Some of the 2000-2003 teen pop is a little bit campy already.

And karma for reminding us that the polite way to describe "crap" is "campy".  

Obligatory camp: Hated with a passion of a thousand suns when it came out, as "worse than that whole Spice Girls crap", but today I'm glad I have a copy of Daphne and Celeste's We Didn't Say That from 2000.  It sits - proudly would be too strong a word - but it sits alongside the entire discography of Vanilla Ice.  Yes, even the execrable (but honest) 1998 Nu Metal album.  

(Aaw, crap, I checked.  Now I have to find his appropriately-named 2011 album, "WTF"...)

Anyways, "camp" is to "sucks" as "retro" is to "old", and karma for reminding us of why.

Check for new replies or respond here...