inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sick of 9/11. Just sick and tired of 9/11

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/12/11 at 2:08 am

Am I the only one who is sick of 9/11?

I'm sick of the jingoism, the militarism, the sanctimonious rituals, and the gales of national mourning.

I'm sick of the smug official versions that don't answer basic questions.  I'm sick of being told I'm a kook because a bunch of the official story is scientifically impossible. 

I'm sick of the twitchy tinfoil hat conspiracy theories that only get more convoluted and involve more secretive associations the more videos the conspiracy theorist shows you and the more bong hits he inhales.

I'm sick of the point-counterpoint arguments between 9/11 Commission believers and 9/11 Truthers.  They go howling around and around like a couple of angry mutts trying to bite each other's tales. 

Okay, I think a bunch of people lied.  What do you want I should do about it?  Make a picket sign, take a bus to DC, and scream myself hoarse?  Got better things to do, my friend, even if some of those things include lying in bed with a bowl of Cap'n Crunch while watching "Leave it to Beaver."

Man, they've been arguing 9/11 since 9/11/01 and on 9/11/30 their kids will be belting out the same old arguments.  Just like the JFK assassination. 

9/11 Truther guy, you think you're tough?  You think you're gonna get to the bottom of all those coverups and show the emperor wears no clothes?  No you ain't.  If the government wants to keep a secret from you, they're gonna keep a secret.  I don't care how many levels of D&D you've mastered, and I don't care what kind of a boy genius white hat hacker you are.  If Uncle Sam doesn't want you to know, F**K YOU!  You ain't gonna know.  You can spend the rest of your life bitching about it, but the fight is fixed.

And as for you flag-waving sycophants with your "My Son Fights for Freedom" bumper stickers, yeah, you just keep living in la-la land too.  It'll make you feel better than "My son died for some filthy goo in the ground."  Just keep voting Republican and tell your loved ones its for their own good they gotta get probed at the airport.

Me, I've had enough of both o'yuz and I'd love to knock your heads together!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/violent1.gif

Subject: Re: Sick of 9/11. Just sick and tired of 9/11

Written By: 80sfan on 09/12/11 at 2:30 am

I'm sick of the jingoism, the militarism, the sanctimonious rituals, and the gales of national mourning.

I'm sick of the smug official versions that don't answer basic questions.  I'm sick of being told I'm a kook because a bunch of the official story is scientifically impossible.  

I'm sick of the twitchy tinfoil hat conspiracy theories that only get more convoluted and involve more secretive associations the more videos the conspiracy theorist shows you and the more bong hits he inhales.

I'm sick of the point-counterpoint arguments between 9/11 Commission believers and 9/11 Truthers.  They go howling around and around like a couple of angry mutts trying to bite each other's tales. 

Okay, I think a bunch of people lied.  What do you want I should do about it?  Make a picket sign, take a bus to DC, and scream myself hoarse?  Got better things to do, my friend, even if some of those things include lying in bed with a bowl of Cap'n Crunch while watching "Leave it to Beaver."

Man, they've been arguing 9/11 since 9/11/01 and on 9/11/30 their kids will be belting out the same old arguments.  Just like the JFK assassination. 

9/11 Truther guy, you think you're tough?  You think you're gonna get to the bottom of all those coverups and show the emperor wears no clothes?  No you ain't.  If the government wants to keep a secret from you, they're gonna keep a secret.   I don't care how many levels of D&D you've mastered, and I don't care what kind of a boy genius white hat hacker you are.  If Uncle Sam doesn't want you to know, F**K YOU!  You ain't gonna know.  You can spend the rest of your life bitching about it, but the fight is fixed.

And as for you flag-waving sycophants with your "My Son Fights for Freedom" bumper stickers, yeah, you just keep living in la-la land too.  It'll make you feel better than "My son died for some filthy goo in the ground."  Just keep voting Republican and tell your loved ones its for their own good they gotta get probed at the airport.

I agree 100% with this Max! I guess people want to deny the truth.

Written By: Creeder on 09/12/11 at 3:50 am

This topic is so european in its nature. :(

God Bless America!

Written By: Henk on 09/12/11 at 5:15 am

God Bless America!

WTF?

On the other hand: do I really want to get you started?

Written By: Bobby on 09/12/11 at 6:08 am

God Bless America!

What does 'so European in it's nature' mean? The thread poster Maxwell Smart is an American.

I am a European and first and foremost I am very sad at what happened at 9/11 and the consequences it bought to your country. I would love to go to the USA and even thought about emigrating at one point. There are plenty of things about the USA that attracts me.

However, you have illustrated part of the problem, Creeder. While patriotism can be one of the base foundations of a country, blind patriotism allows any government to manipulate it's people for their own ends. This is my truth: If you believe 9/11 to be legitimate fine, if you believe 9/11 to be a conspiracy fine - whatever you believe walk around with both eyes open.

When you make statements like these, I hope you realise that the UK and other European countries have stood, and are still standing, by the USA during both wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. However, does that mean i blindly support what is going on? No.

Written By: Howard on 09/12/11 at 6:41 am

People and the news are going to milk this 9/11 into the ground for many years to come,10,15 20 and even 30 years from now people are still going to talk about this even though we're sick of it.I watch it and it is painful to view but either you watch it or just change the channel,It's that simple.No one is forcing to see it,It's a part of life.

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/12/11 at 8:38 am

I figure I might as well get used to it, because I'm most likely going to be hearing about it for the rest of my life. It's already going to go down as one of the biggest events of the 21st century. Over time, once (if?) Al Qaeda is dismantled and global terrorism is no longer much of a threat, we'll probably hear a lot less of it, but the event itself is so etched in our nation's collective memory and conscience that it likely will never lose its significance.

Written By: Tia on 09/12/11 at 9:03 am

you're far from alone, max. i think all this 10th anniversary hysteria and fear mongering has backfired on the government. from all sorts of quarters i'm hearing people are just fed up. as foobar said, the difference between 911 and a cow is after 10 years you stop milking the cow.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/11 at 11:45 am

9/11 Truther guy, you think you're tough?  You think you're gonna get to the bottom of all those coverups and show the emperor wears no clothes?  No you ain't.  If the government wants to keep a secret from you, they're gonna keep a secret.   I don't care how many levels of D&D you've mastered, and I don't care what kind of a boy genius white hat hacker you are.  If Uncle Sam doesn't want you to know, F**K YOU!  You ain't gonna know.  You can spend the rest of your life bitching about it, but the fight is fixed.

I was gonna give you karma for this but something about waiting 24 hours or something.

Yes, what happened that day was tragic to say the least but the government has used it for an excuse for EVERYTHING that it has done in the last 10 years.  Wars, groping little old ladies in wheelchairs at the airport, warrantless wiretapings, etc. etc. The politicians NEED to keep Americans afraid so they can turn this country into a fascist state. By hyping the anniversary, it reminds Americans to be afraid. Be VERY afraid.

To quote Joe Bidan-a noun, a verb, & 9-11.

God Bless America!

To quote Henk, WTF??

Cat

Written By: Tia on 09/12/11 at 12:23 pm

WTF?

On the other hand: do I really want to get you started?
maybe he means europe has been dealing with domestic terrorism for much longer than we have. IRA, basque separatists, etc., etc.

Written By: Howard on 09/12/11 at 12:51 pm

I figure I might as well get used to it, because I'm most likely going to be hearing about it for the rest of my life. It's already going to go down as one of the biggest events of the 21st century. Over time, once (if?) Al Qaeda is dismantled and global terrorism is no longer much of a threat, we'll probably hear a lot less of it, but the event itself is so etched in our nation's collective memory and conscience that it likely will never lose its significance.

It's a time in history that we'll never forget but we'll hear about in 2016,2021,2025 and 2030.

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/12/11 at 3:21 pm

I was gonna give you karma for this but something about waiting 24 hours or something.

Yes, what happened that day was tragic to say the least but the government has used it for an excuse for EVERYTHING that it has done in the last 10 years.  Wars, groping little old ladies in wheelchairs at the airport, warrantless wiretapings, etc. etc. The politicians NEED to keep Americans afraid so they can turn this country into a fascist state. By hyping the anniversary, it reminds Americans to be afraid. Be VERY afraid.

To quote Henk, WTF??

Cat

I can't believe we can't Karma people in a 24-hour range. I like Karmaing You, you have some interesting sheesh to talk about.

I just didn't watch TV yesterday. I felt sorry for the people who died on 9/11 and I went to a Church Service on Saturday to mourn and pray for the victims...but did we get 12/7/1951 shoved-down our throats? (10 Years after Pear Harbor Attacks) Or 11/22/1973 when JFK got killed?

Written By: wildcard on 09/12/11 at 3:53 pm

I don't want to hear a dam thing about it and I don't to see any flags or red white and blue clothing.  This is not the 4th of July.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/12/11 at 6:21 pm

In honor of the 9/11 victims and survivors, the day immediately following the tenth day in September shall hereby be named "September the 11th" from this point forward.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/12/11 at 6:27 pm

Or 11/22/1973 when JFK got killed?

To be fair, we still hear a lot about JFK and the conspiracies.  Then there is Elvis and the hand wringing on his birthday and the day he died.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/12/11 at 6:44 pm

I just didn't watch TV yesterday. I felt sorry for the people who died on 9/11 and I went to a Church Service on Saturday to mourn and pray for the victims...but did we get 12/7/1951 shoved-down our throats? (10 Years after Pear Harbor Attacks) Or 11/22/1973 when JFK got killed?

They were playing the movie "Pearl Harbor" on TV on 9/11, I think that's now de rigeur.  (as an aside, during WW2 my Mom got to go for a joy ride in a fighter plane, upside down, with her cousin at the controls just like in the flick)

The Japanese still make a big deal out of Hiroshima Day too, although Nagasaki gets short shrift.

Written By: King Tut on 09/12/11 at 7:20 pm

I'm tired of the coverage and I don't even live in the United States.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/12/11 at 8:17 pm

One thing I have noticed is that they focus on New York.  I didn't hear one thing about the Pentagon or the crash in Pennsylvania yesterday. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/12/11 at 8:18 pm

One thing I have noticed is that they focus on New York.  I didn't hear one thing about the Pentagon or the crash in Pennsylvania yesterday. 

The Flight 93 thing was a big deal here in Picksburgh.

Written By: Dagwood on 09/12/11 at 8:30 pm

I can imagine.  All we heard about in Utah was NYC.

Written By: lorac61469 on 09/12/11 at 9:16 pm

To be fair, we still hear a lot about JFK and the conspiracies.  Then there is Elvis and the hand wringing on his birthday and the day he died.

I remember exactly where I was when Elvis died, on a boat ride to Mt. Vernon.  Weird, huh?

Written By: Dagwood on 09/12/11 at 9:48 pm

I remember exactly where I was when Elvis died, on a boat ride to Mt. Vernon.  Weird, huh?

Not weird if you were a fan. 

Written By: Howard on 09/13/11 at 6:39 am

In honor of the 9/11 victims and survivors, the day immediately following the tenth day in September shall hereby be named "September the 11th" from this point forward.

Agreed.

Written By: Howard on 09/13/11 at 6:40 am

I'm tired of the coverage and I don't even live in the United States.

They're gonna keep bringing that day up and it makes people feel more and more angrier.

Written By: Howard on 09/13/11 at 6:41 am

They barely talked about in the news yesterday.

Written By: Howard on 09/13/11 at 6:42 am

I know where I was,in my crib being 3 1/2 years old.

Written By: karen on 09/13/11 at 7:16 am

Obama visited both sites after the service in NYC.  It was on the evening news here in the UK.  There was also a service outside the US embassy in the UK for the 67 British victims

Written By: Tia on 09/13/11 at 8:05 am

enjoy the most depressing article the Onion has ever run.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/us-commemorates-911-by-toasting-stable-afghan-gove,21332/

NEW YORK—In a moving and beautiful ceremony held atop Lower Manhattan's gleaming, 120-story-tall Freedom Tower, the nation commemorated the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks by raising a glass to the stable democracy of Afghanistan and to a decade of unprecedented peace and prosperity across the globe.

As a brilliant cascade of red, white, and blue fireworks lit up the skyscraper's observation deck, those in attendance reflected on the horrible tragedy that improbably, and stirringly, gave way to a harmonized Middle East and one of the most triumphant and fruitful eras in the history of the great American republic.

Written By: kairosan on 09/13/11 at 8:19 am

The global elite bankers have you where they want ya. They want to direct your life like a movie. I mean look what HARRP is doing. ...and 911 was done by the U.S, British and Isrealli intel so there I said it!

To quote Henk, WTF??

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/13/11 at 11:18 am

Say, whatever did become of that old Freedom Tower anyway?
::)

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 09/13/11 at 11:30 am

+1....

I agree wholeheartedly. I actually "defriended" someone on FB because he went on an "anti-Obama/Obama is a Kenyan Muslim" rant and tied it all to 9-11. We went back and forth for a little bit, but the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back was when he called me a "jihadist supporter" because I pointed out that a)there is no PROOF that Obama is a Muslim OR born in Kenya b)nowhere in the Constitution does it say that the POTUS HAS to be Christian and c)the "Patriot Act", which spelled out EVERYTHING he was complaining about "being taken away" was passed under BUSH, LONG before Obama took office. Needless to say, I said some "not so nice" things and promptly defriended him.

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/13/11 at 2:47 pm

It's actually being built as we speak.

I think it'll be complete next year or 2013.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/13/11 at 3:07 pm

+1....

I agree wholeheartedly. I actually "defriended" someone on FB because he went on an "anti-Obama/Obama is a Kenyan Muslim" rant and tied it all to 9-11. We went back and forth for a little bit, but the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back was when he called me a "jihadist supporter" because I pointed out that a)there is no PROOF that Obama is a Muslim OR born in Kenya b)nowhere in the Constitution does it say that the POTUS HAS to be Christian and c)the "Patriot Act", which spelled out EVERYTHING he was complaining about "being taken away" was passed under BUSH, LONG before Obama took office. Needless to say, I said some "not so nice" things and promptly defriended him.

He sounds so extreme! ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/13/11 at 7:29 pm

+1....

c)the "Patriot Act", which spelled out EVERYTHING he was complaining about "being taken away" was passed under BUSH, LONG before Obama took office. Needless to say, I said some "not so nice" things and promptly defriended him.

Of course O'bama signed a 4-year extension of the Patriot Act.  The act is a bastard child with many fathers...  :P

Written By: Howard on 09/13/11 at 7:47 pm

Isn't the Freedom Tower the waterfall? ???

Written By: Dagwood on 09/13/11 at 10:32 pm

Obama visited both sites after the service in NYC.  It was on the evening news here in the UK.  There was also a service outside the US embassy in the UK for the 67 British victims

That's good to know.  It sure didn't make the news here.  Guess our local guys thought all we cared about was New York.

Check for new replies or respond here...