inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: No nostalgia for later generations?

Written By: frostdude1 on 09/15/11 at 1:02 am

My friend and I were discussing this topic last night. Will kids that are born in the 2000's and beyond have any real nostalgia?

My buddy pointed out that we are essentially living in the future and that ever since the mid 2000's and Internet 2.0, everything has become less authentic. There will hardly be anything to be nostalgic for in years down the line. By that I mean, the kids these days will consider different sized iPods as a nostalgic memory. Again I know that I am pointing out things that older generations probably pointed out in us but our society has never moved as rapidly as it has in the past decade. There is nothing we haven't achieved technologically, it's all just improving on things that have already been discovered. I know that things such as music and movies will always be a topic of nostalgia for later generations, but the nostalgia that we thing of when we remember the 80's, 90's and even the first 4 years of the 2000's (which was similar to the late 90's) had a certain vibe that you could feel that tied up everything. These past 6 years or so have felt soul-less and with no real defining character.

Subject: Re: No nostalgia for later generations?

Written By: sonikuu on 09/15/11 at 1:45 am

As you hint at your post, other people have been saying this for a LONG time now about previous eras.  Heck, a good deal of 1960s-era Baby Boomers felt that the 80s were soulless and phony, similar to the things you say characterize the second half of the 00s, but the 80s are practically a nostalgia gold mine now.

Written By: King Tut on 09/15/11 at 3:04 pm

There will be nostagia.
When any generation gets older, there will be interest to look back at past events, material posessions, etc.. Every generation at some point yearns for the past. With today's improved technology, looking back at old videos, photos (etc) is very common and there will be nostalgia, just different, that's all.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/15/11 at 4:57 pm

One cannot prearrange nostalgia.  Sentimental memories are a product of life lived, not experiences commodified. 

Check for new replies or respond here...