inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The movie "Heathers"

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/19/11 at 2:29 pm

Who here has seen the '80s movie Heathers? It's a movie based off the Generation X phenomenom of every other high school girl being named Heather. Basically, it's about a clique of preppy high school girls each named Heather.

There seems to be a Generation Z equivalent to the "Heathers" phenomenon, in which, predictably, every other girl in high school within the next ten or so years will be named Isabella. That got me thinking, what if a sequel to Heathers were made that focused on a clique of Generation Z girls each named Isabella? The movie could be called Bellas.  ;D

That's just a crazy idea that popped into my head. I just had to get it out.  :D

Subject: Re: The movie "Heathers"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/19/11 at 6:43 pm

"My son's a homosexual and I love him...I love my dead gay son!"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/diablotin.gif

Great movie, though this thread would be better served in the eighties section.

Written By: Tia on 09/19/11 at 6:59 pm

"My son's a homosexual and I love him...I love my dead gay son!"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/diablotin.gif

Great movie, though this thread would be better served in the eighties section.
well, he's saying let's do an updated version of "heathers." that's why it's in the 2010s section. although for one terrifying moment when i saw there was a "heathers" thread in the 2010s board, i thought this thread was gonna be about a remake.  :o please don't remake "heathers," hollywood!

is "isabella" really the new "heathers"? i'd see an updated version of "heathers" being something like "ashleys" or "brookes" or "kylies." that's like the entitled white chick name these days. "isabella"'s all portuguese/latin.

i'd love to see a remake of "heathers" where the ashleys or kylies or whatever were wealthy, rabid libertarians and the veronica character was like a beleaguered middle class moderate.

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/19/11 at 9:22 pm

is "isabella" really the new "heathers"? i'd see an updated version of "heathers" being something like "ashleys" or "brookes" or "kylies." that's like the entitled white chick name these days. "isabella"'s all portuguese/latin.

i'd love to see a remake of "heathers" where the ashleys or kylies or whatever were wealthy, rabid libertarians and the veronica character was like a beleaguered middle class moderate.

It's been a hugely popular and trendy name for the past several years, just like Heather was a very popular name in the '70s and '80s (or so I heard). I suppose an Ashleys movie would work, if it had been made sometime during the mid '00s, because Ashley was more the Generation Y equivalent of Heather for Generation X. I'm only speculating that Isabella will be what "Heather" was for Generation X girls and "Ashley" was for Generation Y.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/11 at 6:40 am

http://www.only80s.com/heathersvidcvr.jpg

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/20/11 at 9:19 pm

please don't remake "heathers," hollywood!

This.

But as a raving fan of the original, I'll update the queue to add "Isab-"Whaddya mean, it hasn't been done yet?  At first glance, I thought it was someone telling me they'd found a worthy Gen-Z successor.

Heathers is pretty safe from Hollywood.  The day after Columbine, any potential script for a remake was immediately incinerated.  The social trends towards tolerance that have happened since then (particularly the growing acceptance of gays, fatties, and the notion that depression and suicidal thoughts are merely the results correctable chemical imbalances rather than signs of horrible mental weakness) represent positive changes in society over the long term, but they make the questions posed by the movie's humor absolutely taboo.  

Asking Hollywood to reboot Heathers would be like asking Mel Brooks to reboot Blazing Saddles: the sharpest jokes of both movies are untellable in a movie theater today.  You can't point out the idiocy of racism without saying "The PresiSherriffisn*CLANG*, and you can't make a movie about ostracism, suicide, alienation, and a plot to blow up the school in a world where a 8-year-old who draw pictures spacemen shooting alien with (gasp!) guns are taken in for counselling as potential terrists.  I think you should be able to make a movie that mocks both the idiocy of the '80s "it's OK if you're a seething cauldron of rage as long as it looks like everything is perfect on the outside" idiocy and/or the equally-asinine '10s "zero tolerance, nerf the world!" idiocy, but (a) I'm weird, and (b) the commercial reality is that you can't.

Oh, and as for Michael Lehmann Administers Cup of Liquid Drainer to Heathers Sequel .  Really, Movieline?  Really?  Liquid Drainer?  It's liquid Drano.  What's your damage, Movieline?

Written By: Tia on 09/21/11 at 9:15 am

This.

But as a raving fan of the original, I'll update the queue to add "Isab-"Whaddya mean, it hasn't been done yet?  At first glance, I thought it was someone telling me they'd found a worthy Gen-Z successor.

Heathers is pretty safe from Hollywood.  The day after Columbine, any potential script for a remake was immediately incinerated.  The social trends towards tolerance that have happened since then (particularly the growing acceptance of gays, fatties, and the notion that depression and suicidal thoughts are merely the results correctable chemical imbalances rather than signs of horrible mental weakness) represent positive changes in society over the long term, but they make the questions posed by the movie's humor absolutely taboo.  

Asking Hollywood to reboot Heathers would be like asking Mel Brooks to reboot Blazing Saddles: the sharpest jokes of both movies are untellable in a movie theater today.  You can't point out the idiocy of racism without saying "The PresiSherriffisn*CLANG*, and you can't make a movie about ostracism, suicide, alienation, and a plot to blow up the school in a world where a 8-year-old who draw pictures spacemen shooting alien with (gasp!) guns are taken in for counselling as potential terrists.  I think you should be able to make a movie that mocks both the idiocy of the '80s "it's OK if you're a seething cauldron of rage as long as it looks like everything is perfect on the outside" idiocy and/or the equally-asinine '10s "zero tolerance, nerf the world!" idiocy, but (a) I'm weird, and (b) the commercial reality is that you can't.

Oh, and as for Michael Lehmann Administers Cup of Liquid Drainer to Heathers Sequel .  Really, Movieline?  Really?  Liquid Drainer?  It's liquid Drano.  What's your damage, Movieline?
all of these excellent reasons why a remake of "heathers" is almost completely untenable have left me even more convinced that they WILL remake it. for some reason, the timeless movies seem not to get remade. (you see them remaking "wizard of oz" or "citizen kane" or "doctor zhivago" anytime soon?) but the topical, sign-of-the-times flicks get remade with great ferocity. what sense does it make to remake "the blob" or "spiderman" outside the context of the atomic-shocked 1950s, when they still weren't clear what radiation actually did? what sense does it make to remake "i spit on your grave" or "last house on the left" outside the context of the manson scare and the whole dangerous hippy stereotype of the early 70s? what sense does it make to remake "sorority row" or "prom night" outside the context of the splatter movie fad in the 80s? and yet they soldier on with these cynical remakes, grinding down all that cinematic history into a coarse, featureless gruel.

that said, the remakes of "last house on the left" and "i spit on your grave" were actually in a lot of ways vastly superior to the originals. (i'm all in favor of remaking the zero-budget 70s snuff movies and turning them into effective thrillers.) so it's actually not all bad. remake "driller killer" and "cannibal holocaust" while you're at it. but eff off remaking "heathers."

Written By: Tia on 09/21/11 at 11:35 am

as for "liquid drainer," i wonder if the writer/editors were trying to avoid using a proper brand name. could be legal issues involved.

Check for new replies or respond here...