inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is electropop starting to fade?

Written By: Emman on 09/20/11 at 10:33 pm

I looked at this week's Billboard top hits and only 2 proper electropop songs are in the top 10, compared to last year when most(if not all) of the top 10 songs were electropop.
Could this trend continue into 2012, is this the beginning of the end of the electropop trend of the '09-'11 period? I guess I could see quirky indiepop and alt rap take it's place soon.

Subject: Re: Is electropop starting to fade?

Written By: 80sfan on 09/20/11 at 10:41 pm

Please God, please God, please God!  ;D

:.Crosses fingers:.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/20/11 at 11:28 pm

Yeah I think it's time has probably come. Usually after about 3-4 years people get sick of a trend though there are exceptions (post-grunge). Electropop is reaching that point. It's not out yet but it probably won't last that much longer. I don't really know what the next fad will be but I am curiously watching. The beats just got very repetitive, you could say the same for crunk or boy bands.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/20/11 at 11:35 pm

When did electropop become popular? 2007? 2008?

Written By: Brian06 on 09/20/11 at 11:51 pm

When did electropop become popular? 2007? 2008?

Well imo the origins of the current electropop scene goes back to 2006 and stuff like SOS, Promiscuous, SexyBack. The current style of pop became popular in late 2008 with the emergence of Lady GaGa and Katy Perry. So to an extent you could say 2006, but the real explosion of it was in 2008. "I Kissed A Girl" hitting number 1 that summer was kind of a turning point for music as sad as it is to say that rofl.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/20/11 at 11:54 pm

Well imo the origins of the current electropop scene goes back to 2006 and stuff like SOS, Promiscuous, SexyBack. The current style of pop became popular in late 2008 with the emergence of Lady GaGa and Katy Perry. So to an extent you could say 2006, but the real explosion of it was in 2008. "I Kissed A Girl" hitting number 1 that summer was kind of a turning point for music as sad as it is to say that rofl.

By that info then I guess by 2012/2013, we'll have a new trend in music.

Written By: Emman on 09/21/11 at 12:59 am

Yeah electropop exploded in late '08, peaked in late'09/2010 and I guess is starting to decline in late '11, it will probably be a dead trend by 2013. I think pop music up to 2015 though could still have a heavy electropop influence to it, maybe in a updated form.

Written By: Creeder on 09/21/11 at 1:58 am

Indie pop/rock will be the next big thing.
"Pumped up kids" at number 3 in pop charts is its big breakthrough in the mainstream.

Written By: Labella1991 on 09/23/11 at 5:58 pm

I  hope so! 8-P

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/23/11 at 6:39 pm

Whatever the next big genre will be, I hope that it's edgy yet still retains some sophistication. I want it to have some meaning other than "Woo-hoo! Let's go to the club and party and get wasted!"  :D

Written By: Howard on 09/23/11 at 7:36 pm

Whatever the next big genre will be, I hope that it's edgy yet still retains some sophistication. I want it to have some meaning other than "Woo-hoo! Let's go to the club and party and get wasted!"  :D

It seems like almost every song starts with that.  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/23/11 at 7:49 pm

So how about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9GgvHDVq_I

Written By: Howard on 09/23/11 at 8:14 pm

So how about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9GgvHDVq_I

this is music?  :o :P

Written By: sonikuu on 09/24/11 at 6:10 pm

I've said before that it's the modern day version of New Jack Swing.  It's been more popular at its peak than NJS ever was, but I think the timeline will be similar.

1989-1990: Peak of New Jack Swing.
1991: Still a popular genre, but starting to fade.  Popular, but not as popular.
1992: Clearly in decline by this point.  It still has some mainstream presence, but other genres like Alternative Rock, Grunge, and Gangsta Rap have surpassed it.
1993: Basically done and completely replaced by new trends.

Add twenty years to those (making it 2009-2013) and replace the word "New Jack Swing" and you've got it's likely lifespan, in my opinion.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/24/11 at 6:42 pm

The best thing about electropop is it pushed all those terrible "ringtone" rappers straight off the charts.

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvh5KeZ-85A

Written By: Howard on 09/24/11 at 7:41 pm

I've said before that it's the modern day version of New Jack Swing.  It's been more popular at its peak than NJS ever was, but I think the timeline will be similar.

1991: Still a popular genre, but starting to fade.  Popular, but not as popular.
1992: Clearly in decline by this point.  It still has some mainstream presence, but other genres like Alternative Rock, Grunge, and Gangsta Rap have surpassed it.

Add twenty years to those (making it 2009-2013) and replace the word "New Jack Swing" and you've got it's likely lifespan, in my opinion.

Hey Sonikuu,What about 1985-1990? ???

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 09/26/11 at 5:25 am

People have also compared it to disco. I think disco was gone by 1983.

Written By: Howard on 09/26/11 at 6:32 am

People have also compared it to disco. I think disco was gone by 1983.

I think after 1983 disco sounded more electronic and the synthesizer sound was gone.

Written By: Emman on 09/26/11 at 8:42 am

I think because electropop became very popular in the very late '00s, it's influence will last longer into this decade than disco lasted in the '80s(unless there's an abrupt backlash against it). But it will probably lose it's dominance in mainstream music soon, being replaced by another music trend.

I can see electropop influenced music being moderately popular until like 2015,  just in a very updated form. I remember new jack swing surviving in a updated form well into the '90s, there's hit R&B songs from 1995 that have a heavy new jack swing influence, like This Is How We Do It.

Written By: bigdsketch on 10/18/11 at 11:13 pm

As an njs fan i couldn't agree more

Written By: tnf on 10/19/11 at 12:36 am

Please God, please God, please God!  ;D

:.Crosses fingers:.

*grins*

I was thinking exactly the same.  ;D

Whatever the next big genre will be, I hope that it's edgy yet still retains some sophistication. I want it to have some meaning other than "Woo-hoo! Let's go to the club and party and get wasted!"  :D

Yeah, it's only about parties. Feels very shallow to me. I don't care much about lyrics (maybe because English isn't my native language), but there's a limit when it comes to stupidness. :)

Written By: bchris02 on 10/19/11 at 8:11 pm

Lady Gaga was pretty much the centerpiece of the entire electropop fad.  Her latest album hasn't done near as good as her previous two,  Her decline, in my opinion, also means electropop's decline.

Though this summer has definitely had its share of electropop hits such as Party Rock Anthem and Dirty Dancing by Enrique Iglesias.

Check for new replies or respond here...