inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: what happened to dubstep ?

Written By: axle931 on 09/22/11 at 9:41 am

i remember up till the middle of summer , all i herd everywere was dubstep..

every call of duty game i played online someone had to be playing dubstep ... or anything by skillrex .

Now at college everyone into songs like pumped up kicks ? were did dubstep disapear , could it have died out ?

Subject: Re: what happened to dubstep ?

Written By: Creeder on 09/22/11 at 2:18 pm

could it have died out ?

I hope so.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/22/11 at 9:27 pm

Not dead yet.

Ke4r0k_uoLA

Still cool enough to be used as parody source material as recently as five days ago.  It spawned its own sub-subgenre when the memes collided.

Anyways, that's Ajapai, Battle, from the Energize EP, (ca. May 2011) down, only 8,999,999,872 to go.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/22/11 at 10:50 pm

I thought DubStep was something On-U-Sound was pushing in the mid-90s!
:-\\

Written By: Emman on 09/22/11 at 10:51 pm

It will morph into something else electronica related.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/22/11 at 11:26 pm

It changed over the past few years.  I admit it, I like the heavier electro sound that it turned into.  Part of the awesomeness of googling "WTF" on YouTube is that you stumble upon stuff you didn't expect.

The Wikipedia 2-minute overview is really good.  To draw from the 2-minute example of four dubstep remixes, all backed by the same track...

0:00 - 0:30 is close to what we recognize as DnB - because we remember the imaginary 30 seconds before that track as where dub crossed the line from "reggae" to "industrial/funk/electronic".
0:30 - 1:00 turned me off the genre and I ignored it for a few years.
1:00 - 1:30 didn't do much for me either, but I grew to tolerate it.
1:30 - 2:00 started working for me again.

What you just heard in that over-the-top PMV was the next step in the progression of the genre, and will likely make up the next 30 seconds of the Wikipedia track as soon as soon as someone digs out Enya's Orinoco Flow for one more round.  

Y'know how sometimes you need music to help you focus?  And other times you need to focus like a petawatt laser on a tiny capsule of ZOMGWTF-the-world-ends-if-I-screw-this-up?  I don't always need to achieve thermoneural fusion to get by at the day job, but when I do, I break out the current dubstep/DnB.

If you dig the sound, head back into the bit of the Pony Thread for Shock One, Polygon and Zardonic, Scream (from the Biohazard EP).  It's no longer as danceable a genre as it once was (at least not for old farts like me), but I love it as background music.  

Eat sugar.  See the future.

Written By: Emman on 09/22/11 at 11:40 pm

Dubstep wasn't around in the mid '90s(that was when jungle/drum n bass peaked), it didn't get started until the early '00s, it's developed in the UK underground electronic music scene thoughout the '00s and is just now receiving mainstream attention(like Britney Spears adding dubstep touches in her song Hold It Against Me).

Written By: Brian06 on 09/22/11 at 11:45 pm

Dubstep is pretty popular in the UK mainstream I believe but not so much in the US. Here in the US we've only heard some bits of influence of it in some dance pop songs so far and it's fairly popular underground but hasn't made a true mainstream breakthrough yet (well except for that Britney song if you count it). It still could become mainstream here though you never know.

Written By: Howard on 09/23/11 at 6:38 am

It will morph into something else electronica related.

But what will it sound like?

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/25/11 at 12:29 am

But what will it sound like?

Probably something like this.  

2cXDgFwE13g

Nice tip of the hat to the old-school dub sound from 0:15 through 1:20, and then it gets about 20% cooler.  

Skrillex, First Of The Year (Equinox).  (Because even the coldest dub can be made 20% cooler with rainbows.)  

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/11 at 1:01 am

Dubstep wasn't around in the '90s, but Dub sure was:

Mad Professor
Jah Chaka
Lee "Scratch" Perry
Mark Stewart + Maffia
New Age Steppers
Burning Spear
African Head Charge
Creation Rebel
and anything produced by Adrian Sherwood.

Just a few of my favorites!  I was really into Dub from about '94--'97, then I burned out.  Of course, I liked On-U-Sound stuff going back into the eighties.  In the mid-nineties it was one of the styles I was playing on my radio program.  Strictly mixing desk trickery.  I used to get frat boys calling up saying, "Play some fuggin' Mah-ley!"
::)

Written By: Howard on 09/25/11 at 7:00 am

Probably something like this.  

2cXDgFwE13g

Nice tip of the hat to the old-school dub sound from 0:15 through 1:20, and then it gets about 20% cooler.  

Skrillex, First Of The Year (Equinox).  (Because even the coldest dub can be made 20% cooler with rainbows.)  

Wow that's pretty irritating.  :o

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/25/11 at 7:23 pm

In the interest of being fair and balanced, one for the haters:

QodrSfsboFk

"What Dubstep sounds like to your parents" :)

Written By: Howard on 09/26/11 at 6:44 am

In the interest of being fair and balanced, one for the haters:

QodrSfsboFk

"What Dubstep sounds like to your parents" :)

HOLY CRAP!  :o

Written By: Emman on 09/26/11 at 8:35 am

There's freaking dubstep remixes of almost everything! :D

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/27/11 at 9:17 pm

There's freaking dubstep remixes of almost everything! :D

You're telling me.

Xu8U25ZDQy8

Super Mario Dubstep!

Written By: Howard on 09/28/11 at 6:42 am

You're telling me.

Xu8U25ZDQy8

Super Mario Dubstep!

The whole world's gone dubstep!  :o

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/29/11 at 10:20 pm

The whole world's gone dubstep!  :o

That reminds me.  After Ajapai's Battle, last week's episode has been summarized:

QTZRWyOkGOY

The use of Swedish House Mafia's Save The World (Knife Party Remix) has sparked a debate as to the difference between electro-house vs dubstep.  For once, the Youtube comments are actually informative.  Of particular relevance to this thread, there's a discussion as to the finer points of 140BPM with half-step/breakbeats that make it feel like 70BPM (dubstep/DnB), versus 120-130BPM and 4/4 time (house).

Obligatory Old Fart comment: The question as to whether this track "is" Dubstep or electro-house sounds a lot like the late-80s hairsplitting between New Beat, EBM, and Industrial.  Was A Split Second's Rigor Mortis properly filed under "New Beat", "EBM", or "industrial"?  (The answer was "Yes," followed by "ZOMG they're still performing!)

Gun to my head, I'll go with the poster that this is electro-house (if it were proper dubstep, the "oh, oh" bits would likely be harsher and autotuned, and the sound effects at 0:55 and 1:03 and especially at 1:09 and 1:18 that sound vaguely reminiscent of LA Style's 1991 rave hit, James Brown Is Dead wouldn't sound so.. well... ravey), but the distinction between the two genres is admittedly a very fine line.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/04/11 at 9:38 pm

MCzoFc3i_TY

Anybody been playing Fallout:New Vegas lately?

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/07/11 at 10:25 pm

8qwbE1srERg

Fine.  How about Fallout 3 with a dash of downloadable content? :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/10/11 at 9:36 pm

OK, so you start with Skrillex: Scary Monsters And Nice Sprites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSeNSzJ2-Jw

And then you have a bunch of brilliant nerds hacking their gear in order to play dubstep live with real instruments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuunY8BTqNs

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/13/11 at 12:54 am

sub9edhmeR8

I sell dubstep and dubstep accessories.  This here would be Flux Pavilion's Bass Cannon, but with more cowbell.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/15/11 at 10:46 pm

Q: What would it look like if you crossed '80s Max Headroom with '10s dubstep?

9hn5xt6E9DY

A: Probably look something like that.

Original track: Existence VIP, from the 2011 collaboration between Excision and Downlink.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/16/11 at 7:04 pm

_ltbQceq09Q

Season 2, Episode 3, done in 63 seconds flat.  Now can anybody here tell me what was the name of the original track?

(And karma to Claybricks for calling Zomboy - Pump It Up )

Written By: Claybricks on 10/16/11 at 7:45 pm

_ltbQceq09Q

Season 2, Episode 3, done in 63 seconds flat.  Now can anybody here tell me what was the name of the original track?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbJhlYdYNkc

Zomboy - Pump It Up

Dan

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/29/11 at 8:11 pm

Zomboy - Pump It Up

OK, let's see if you can make it two for two:

uVorFrNXvOY

Season 2, Episode 4... time to play "Find the original track" again.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/31/11 at 8:59 pm

Lizzie Malcolm (with LUSTlab) has a Ball of Dub that can "turn just about anything into dubstep."

Vimeo:  Ball of Dub.

My only problem with the Ball of Dub is that I keep shoving my money at the screen (or looking for a build log and some source code so I can shove my money at the screens of my favorite parts vendors), and nothing happens!

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/20/11 at 9:25 pm

Never mind what happened to dubstep, what happened to PonyFabulous and the Dubstep Collective?  He hasn't updated it for a few weeks (and he's at least three episodes behind tonight), so apparently, the Internet is going to have to browbeat him into it.  It demands moar dubstep!

To keep you tied over, here's DJ Alex S and his dubstep remix of Nyan Cat (why yes, that is a link to a pony-free MP3 at 320kbps, why do you ask?)  

2SgeI7TxmQ8

And while that may well be 20% cooler than the original Nyan Cat, I still miss PonyFab's posts as gateway drugs to 2010s-era dubstep.

http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Rob/intervention.png

Run, run, run, as fast as you can!
You can't save me, I'm a dubsteppin' man!

Written By: Emman on 11/21/11 at 12:43 pm

What happened to dubstep..........I hear alot of it being used in commercials now.

Written By: Howard on 11/21/11 at 2:40 pm

What happened to dubstep..........I hear alot of it being used in commercials now.

and it can get quite annoying.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/21/11 at 11:10 pm

After metamorphasizing through three generations of drum-and-bass variants, it rediscovered itself and became popular again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDyNAwGloRc

Original track: Blue Foundation, Eyes on Fire (Zed's Dead Remix).  

(Yeah, I know the non-remixed version of the track appeared on the soundtrack of The 2008 Movie That Shares Its Name With The Bookish Purple Pony.  I can forgive that, not only because it's such a trippy rework, but because the video's got even trippier effects at around 1:00 when the bass drops.)

Incidentally, creator PMVderps obviously owns a time machine, because he did the PMV for Pepper Spray Cop some five months before the fit hit the shan at UC Davis last weekend.  (Fluttershy warns you, umm, that the unintentional video tribute to Lt. John Pike's is more nu-metal than dubstep, and it, uh, has lots of naughty words in it, so you should maybe use headphones if you're at work, if it's OK with your cow-orkers.  If you need a second hint before you click, Rainbow Dash thinks it's about 20% cooler than NWA's original.)

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/26/11 at 9:22 pm

Lt. John "Pepper Spray" Pike Casually Dubsteppifies Everything!

3UgIEi86x2Q

Audio: KiLLA (Samy Ado Remix), by iLLA (aka iLLAJ), available on the My Digital Romance EP.

Written By: whistledog on 11/27/11 at 9:29 pm

The biggest success for Dubstep this year was the group NERO whose debut album 'Welcome Reality' topped the UK chart and has so far sent 4 singles into the UK Top 40:  Me and You, Guilt, Promises, and Crush on You

http://images.junostatic.com/full/CS432933-01A-BIG.jpg

Their 5th single is titled 'Reaching Out' and not only does it contain elements of the Hall and Oates song 'Out of Touch', but also features newly recorded vocals from Daryl Hall himself.  It also has a cool Miami Vice themed video 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJVQJ4-n_cA

Written By: Howard on 11/28/11 at 7:02 am

The biggest success for Dubstep this year was the group NERO whose debut album 'Welcome Reality' topped the UK chart and has so far sent 4 singles into the UK Top 40:  Me and You, Guilt, Promises, and Crush on You

http://images.junostatic.com/full/CS432933-01A-BIG.jpg

Their 5th single is titled 'Reaching Out' and not only does it contain elements of the Hall and Oates song 'Out of Touch', but also features newly recorded vocals from Daryl Hall himself.  It also has a cool Miami Vice themed video 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJVQJ4-n_cA

What a cool video.  :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/29/11 at 9:23 pm

November 27, 2011: John Scalzi tweets his way through LOTR:

Dear world: I am deeply disappointed there is not a dubstep version of the Smeagol Fish Battering Song.

And a few hours later:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwLG-ZZWB02tDPAn6WjunxOurjYSoloEE-ZNsHehozfbArnh5TpCwWmNw

lRYhLYY_pn4

The Internet delivers not only on the challenge, but on what has to be the awesomest song title ever: Juicy Sweet - Smeagol Fish Battering Song Dubstep Remix.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/04/11 at 1:43 am

And it looks like I spend the rest of the evening digging through this thread for some good stuff.  Yes, the funniest moments of the thread are where people are slowly realizing that they've turned into their parents.  And talk about robots vomiting.

Speaking of robots, here's something that works for me:

lde91njylYo

Currently playing: OPIUO, Robo Booty, and there's more where that came from.

Written By: Howard on 12/04/11 at 6:32 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVgytGND34Q

;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/23/11 at 11:54 pm

Newsflash:

GDw8n21Q9uw

You may have seen videos of Kim Jong-Il's mourners over the past few days. 

AXUO6PpnUBs

Audio associated with the days of mourning has finally been leaked from the Hermit Kingdom. 

yVMpc8p1cgo

It turns out the whole thing was their reaction to having discovered dubstep!

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/02/12 at 10:45 pm

DJ Alex S. mixing Ken Ashcorp:

M5dgyCryWJY

Dubstep just got 20% cooler.

Written By: Ashes Of The Wake on 01/06/12 at 9:00 am

Listen to Excision and Skrillex

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/10/12 at 1:17 am

Listen to Excision and Skrillex

You posted your suggestion a full day before the episode aired, as well as a day and a half before the parody was posted. 

Music: Excision and Downlink: Existence VIP at t=1:03.
Meme: Epic Meal Time crossover with the Zap Apples that made their first appearance on the January 7, 2012 episode of My Little Pony.
Punchline: Pinkie Pie saying "Next time?  We eat Skrillex!" (at t=2:24.)

bQ0JahhFkts

210 down, 8,999,999,790 to go.  And can you do that trick again, but with tomorrow's stock quotes? 

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-goA7eGNPel8/TwYZBTEq-LI/AAAAAAAAaVA/lbpGWS-ppVc/s1600/107898+-+applejack+Doctor_Whoof+Doctor_Whooves+fluttershy+pinkie_pie+rainbow_dash+rarity+spike+tardis+twilight_sparkle.jpg
(click to embiggen)

...because your time machine's working better than mine!

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/11/12 at 9:30 pm

Music Genre Visualization of the Day:

V7qnG5rBfO0

Bassnectar explains the heritage of Dubstep in three minutes - starting with the basic difference between steady/break beats, and breaking (pun intended) things down from there as a function of beat style, tempo, and time.

The educational portion of our show now dealt with, a little nod to those who think that dubstep sucks:

DrudGHOC3gM

Even if you're right, you still have to admit it's a great way to get some of us to vaccuum the place.

Really.  Hoovering is a sub - sub - genre of dubstep dance.  Or another attempt at creating the next owling/planking/horsemaning meme.  I'm not sure which it actually is, but it's funny as hell to watch.

Written By: Silver Power on 01/21/12 at 5:02 am

Excuse the epic Youtube linkage I'm about to lay down, but if anyone wouldn't mind listening to some of my tracks and giving me feedback? :)

"Crystalline Division", my newest track.. I swap genre's from dubstep to hardstyle to drumstep.. An experimental one for me :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBYAx1rn2f4

"Circle of EDM", my "Circle of Life" remix, switches from dubstep to electro http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThmvCSibNOQ

"It Feels So Good", a remix of Sonique's 90's trance song of the same name.. One of my older ones  :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SabWDuD1ZQ

"I Smoke Rocks", the first dubstep song I ever made, featuring guest vocals from Tyrone Biggums of Chappelle's Show fame  :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRz8yXaSN5c

Again, any feedback on ANY of these tracks would be awesome :) Pick whichever piques your interest most ;)
Karma to Foo Bar for referring me to this page, sorry for the wrongly-placed post in the other thread.  :-[

DUBSTEP AIN'T DEAD SUCKAZ  ;)

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/13/12 at 10:13 pm

Meanwhile, at the Grammys:

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_full_width/hash/fd/e2/fde296cab5d333a63089657ca1f3f17a.jpg

"Haha @deadmau5 just wore my phone number on his fokin shirt on tv gotta retire this phone"

Maximum trolling achieved.

Well-played, Dedmau5, well-played.

Written By: Jessica on 02/13/12 at 10:18 pm

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-goA7eGNPel8/TwYZBTEq-LI/AAAAAAAAaVA/lbpGWS-ppVc/s1600/107898+-+applejack+Doctor_Whoof+Doctor_Whooves+fluttershy+pinkie_pie+rainbow_dash+rarity+spike+tardis+twilight_sparkle.jpg
(click to embiggen)

They did NOT turn my Tenth Doctor into a pony! :P

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_full_width/hash/fd/e2/fde296cab5d333a63089657ca1f3f17a.jpg

I saw that this morning and LOL'd.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/13/12 at 11:10 pm

They did NOT turn my Tenth Doctor into a pony! :P

Oh yes they did, at 14:00 into Season 2, Episode 15, airdate Jan 28, 2012 (two and a half weeks after I stumbled over, and posted, that image), the background pony colloquially known amongst the fandom as Dr. Whooves officially became canon as Equestria's controller of time.  All will become one with the Herd.

But this isn't a Dr. Who thread, this is a dubstep thread.

nAMBdTib-vI

(We miss you, King Tut.  Come back and see us sometime!)

Written By: Howard on 02/14/12 at 6:55 am

What the hell is that?  ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/16/12 at 12:13 am

What the hell is that?  ;D

That's a dead mouse.  AKA Canadian electronica artist Joel Thomas Zimmerman, better known as dedmau5, achieving maximum trolling by showing up at the Grammys wearing a T-shirt with Skrillex's phone number on it.

30t4J2zXPUw

- Dedmau5, Ghosts 'n' Stuff

ZpiTtxry6ng

- Skrillex, Cinema

Two more down, 8,999,999,742 to go.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/28/12 at 8:42 pm

I think I just figured out why I like dubstep.

Dubstep:Techno::Metal:Rock-and-roll. 

Hear me out - grindy sounds?  Yeah, just like the use of distortion made possible by the switch from acoustic to electric guitars.  The whole WubWUBWUBwubWUB thing?  Just vibrato and/or the "make it talk" wah-wah pedal.  And the bass drop?  Just a glorified power chord.

Still don't believe me?  Try this.

kk3_-A0kSBo

- Celldweller Metallica vs Black Sabbath - Disposable War Pigs (Metal dubstep mashup) (link goes to creator's page with MP3)

And bonus points if you caught that little bit of The Who's Teenage Wasteland in there.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/27/12 at 11:45 pm

"Want some Skrillex with your slasher? You’re in luck. The hyper-caffeinated spectacle “DubWars: First Strike” mixes action snippets from more than 1,000 movies with a super cut of dubstep jams to build 15 jittery minutes of four-alarm chaos. "

You're damn right I do, Hugh.

Xev9CqOTku4

- DubWars, First Strike.

*blink*

OK.  Now that we've established that Josh "Khameleon808" Prescott is God, let's just throw up our hands in surrender.  There's no way even this group of sample buffs could come out with all 1,000 video samples out of the library of 50,000 movies that he used.

Contest closed last week, but the video nonetheless stands as the awesomest thing to evar hit this thread.

Source: Wired article on DubWars.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/04/12 at 12:20 am

And now, a word from dedmau5:

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/epic-fail-photos-music-fails-live-and-in-concert.jpg

Well, I suppose that's taking things a little too literally, but it's still lulzworthy.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/18/12 at 10:54 pm

dbIEamupKLw

- Dubstep Dispute, 3d short animation project, feat. Nostalgia, Knights of Cydonia (Dubstep Remix), and four vaguely familiar droids in a vaguely Star-Warsy setting.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/12/12 at 9:36 pm

Because Gak is Back, it's time for something completely gratuitous:  D-D-D-D-DROP THE GAK!

9LtyiJty80E
iYVmGU5f-Po
U-bmK3Etuf0

Deadmau5, Skrillex, and AF, the Gak remixes.

Check for new replies or respond here...