inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will Facebook suffer the same fate as Myspace?

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/23/11 at 5:24 pm

If you aren't aware, Facebook has recently changed its layout again, much to the chagrin of many FB users. I saw many irate status updates from some of my friends, a couple of which stressed how they would like to leave Facebook and join Google+ or Twitter. I may be jumping to conclusions based on scant evidence, but could Facebook's days as a social media giant be numbered?

Subject: Re: Will Facebook suffer the same fate as Myspace?

Written By: Labella1991 on 09/23/11 at 5:50 pm

It might. Myspace was the ish back in 05-07. I think facebook  will die away in a few years, hopefully next year.  I heard Google Plus is going to take over facebook. I don't even have a facebook lol, but my friend text me and was cursing like crazy about the new layout.

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/23/11 at 6:15 pm

It might. Myspace was the ish back in 05-07. I think facebook  will die away in a few years, hopefully next year.  I heard Google Plus is going to take over facebook. I don't even have a facebook lol, but my friend text me and was cursing like crazy about the new layout.

I'm assuming that all the fuss is over the sidebar, which I agree looks a mess since the makeover, but people don't seem to realize that they always have the option of hiding the sidebar.

I actually started a Google Plus account a few days ago, but it remains inactive because I don't really know anybody on there yet.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/23/11 at 6:17 pm

After this Facebook news feed debacle, I'm going back to MySpace.

I already dropped Twitter when I found that you could not be safe there from Weiner's junk...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/23/11 at 6:20 pm

Facebook is to MySpace what MySpace was to Friendster.  

I have a FB page but I don't frequent FB.  As a man who has mixed feelings about his life and his past, I have mixed feelings about FB.  

Facebook has deeper roots and a broader base than MySpace ever had, so it will last much longer before it runs out of steam.  The media gave Facebook credit for a major role in the vaunted "Arab Spring."  Facebook hype generates Facebook reality.  However, I think it'll be spent as a force in ten years and there will be millions of orphan Facebook accounts floating around on the WWW.
::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/23/11 at 7:45 pm

Facebook hype generates Facebook reality.  However, I think it'll be spent as a force in ten years and there will be millions of orphan Facebook accounts floating around on the WWW.

I dunno... I think Facebook has already shot its wad.  Not sure what the next big thing will be.  Maybe 3-D smart phones.

Written By: whistledog on 09/23/11 at 9:38 pm

Facebook does me fine.  So a few modifications have been made to it, big deal.  Does it cost you money to have a Facebook account? 

Written By: 80sfan on 09/23/11 at 9:54 pm

Man, Myspace was so shortlived.

Personally, I like Facebook better and can see it being popular for at least the next 2 years. Who knows? Maybe it'll last for 10-15 years for all we know.

Only time will tell.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/23/11 at 10:46 pm

Facebook does me fine.  So a few modifications have been made to it, big deal.  Does it cost you money to have a Facebook account? 

When Facebook is the only one left and you can't live with out it...they'll charge you $$$
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/devilfinger.gif

Written By: King Tut on 09/23/11 at 11:01 pm

When Facebook is the only one left and you can't live with out it...they'll charge you $$$

A Monopoly? Nah,
But if that were to happen, I think some other group will penetrate that market and bring the price way down.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/23/11 at 11:07 pm

A Monopoly? Nah,
But if that were to happen, I think some other group will penetrate that market and bring the price way down.

Facebook will make them an offer they can't refuse!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-w0jVrf7Wo68/TgMzPnMdtsI/AAAAAAAAHJk/3N5QxY_WK0E/s1600/don-corleone.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 09/24/11 at 4:57 pm

If it ever came to that, I'm pretty sure Zuckerberg will be getting death threats from upset users lol

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/24/11 at 7:00 pm

If it ever came to that, I'm pretty sure Zuckerberg will be getting death threats from upset users lol

Zuckerberg would sell out to a faceless corporation.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/24/11 at 7:22 pm

Zuckerberg would sell out to a faceless corporation.

Speaking of faceless corporations, a few months ago I was over at Groupon HQ, meeting up with some execs from a related company.  Those dudes were crowing about how they had turned down a $8 billion  :o offer from Google.  My take was "these guys sell coupons... it ain't worth much".

Just read where they were padding their reported revenues by 50% and their reported IPO is now in jeopardy.  Plus merchants are increasingly annoyed by the whole Groupon setup.  They shoulda taken the $8 bil from the faceless Google and ran.  :-X

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/24/11 at 7:46 pm

Speaking of faceless corporations, a few months ago I was over at Groupon HQ, meeting up with some execs from a related company.  Those dudes were crowing about how they had turned down a $8 billion  :o offer from Google.  My take was "these guys sell coupons... it ain't worth much".

Just read where they were padding their reported revenues by 50% and their reported IPO is now in jeopardy.  Plus merchants are increasingly annoyed by the whole Groupon setup.  They shoulda taken the $8 bil from the faceless Google and ran.   :-X

When a poor slob like me does it, it's called "fraud" and we go to the hoosegow!

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/24/11 at 8:31 pm

When a poor slob like me does it, it's called "fraud" and we go to the hoosegow!

Catch-22.  The problem of selling a $10 gift certificate for $10 and booking $10 of revenue is that if $9 of it goes to the retailer, you've only made $1.

One view (presumably Groupon's!) is that you had $10 in revenue (for the certificate), $9 in expenses (that you paid to the restaurant), and $1 in profits.  Another equally reasonable view is that Groupon's view is flat-out ricockulous: I could incorporate myself tomorrow and report $1B in revenues by simply issuing a $1,000,000,000 gift certificate to somebody, redeemable for $999,999,999 in cash.  My profit margins are razor-thin to the tune of one-in-a-billion, but by Dobbs I'm doing a billion dollars' worth of business!

There are rules about this sort of thing, and I'm not an accountant, so I'm not going to speculate on the issue and how it affects Groupon's eventual valuation.

Meanwhile, on Google+... 

http://5.mshcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/meanwhile-google-plus-640.jpg

(I'm part of the problem.  After years of avoiding Facebook, I set up a G+ account during the closed beta, and ten minutes later, realized I still had no need for social networking.)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/24/11 at 8:36 pm

My buddy tried to sell me on Google+.  When I queried of the benefits of Google+, he was like, "Uh, it's Google+."
I was like, "Didja get a wax and buff with that brainwash?"
:P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/27/11 at 12:47 pm

I believe Facebook is going to outgrow itself. When will that happen, I don't know. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it doesn't happen within the next 10 years or so. I once heard somewhere that it basically uses the same technology as AOL-which is somewhat obsolete which is why AOL is not king anymore.

I'm sure everyone here knows that I do not trust Facebook. There has been so many security breaches.

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 09/28/11 at 5:01 am

My buddy tried to sell me on Google+.  When I queried of the benefits of Google+, he was like, "Uh, it's Google+."
I was like, "Didja get a wax and buff with that brainwash?"
:P

I felt that way when my mate told me to move from Myspace to Facebook. I find Facebook too generic and loved the customisable options you could have with Myspace (before Myspace went downhill). He told me to get on Facebook purely because everybody else was going there. I'm on Facebook now but I definitely see the situation as the blind leading the blind...I'm sure the same thing will happen with the next social networking site.

People rave about Twitter but I've heard you do even less on that network than you do on Facebook.  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/28/11 at 5:48 am

??? How about LinkedIn.com ? ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/11 at 7:46 pm

I felt that way when my mate told me to move from Myspace to Facebook. I find Facebook too generic and loved the customisable options you could have with Myspace (before Myspace went downhill). He told me to get on Facebook purely because everybody else was going there. I'm on Facebook now but I definitely see the situation as the blind leading the blind...I'm sure the same thing will happen with the next social networking site.

People rave about Twitter but I've heard you do even less on that network than you do on Facebook.  ???

Twitter is good practice for concision.  One hundred-forty characters or fewer,  or on Twitter:

140 char > less

I have a Twitter account but I've gone back to talking to myself on the bus.  More people hear what I've got to say!

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 09/29/11 at 9:53 am

Never did Twitter, did MySpace for about 2 seconds (until I realized how much work it was to actually SET up the page~LOL!) and can't stand the "new" FB format. My ADHD brain can't handle the jumbled way everything is now presented. I need things simple, and the ticker thing on the right is WAYYYY too distracting so I primarily only check it from my phone now, but even on there (despite not updating the app for MONTHS), they've managed to somehow "update" things :(

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/29/11 at 4:26 pm

I loved MySpace in the mid 2000s. I loved browsing HTML code for decarating and customizing my page. I loved seeing lots of bands on MySpace and finding new music. Facebook may be good for finding people but it was just too boring and generic to me. The old MySpace was much better than its current incarnation.

Written By: 1PlayerD on 09/29/11 at 4:50 pm

Sometimes I just wish all of the social networking stuff stayed in their old ways, or just never existed... /:

Written By: Bobby on 10/05/11 at 8:10 pm

Twitter is good practice for concision.  One hundred-forty characters or fewer,  or on Twitter:

140 char > less

I have a Twitter account but I've gone back to talking to myself on the bus.  More people hear what I've got to say!

Ha ha.

You probably get better answers from yourself too.  :)

Written By: whistledog on 10/05/11 at 8:54 pm

If you got a Twitter account ...

... so you could keep up on the latest news about your favourite music groups, that is cool!

... so you could spy on what your favourite celebrities are doing, that is somewhat creepy!

... so you could submit a hashtag response and try to get a mention on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, that is just sad!

With that last one though, I am no better.  Back in the mySpace days, I friended the Last Call with Carson Daly page to see if I could see my comments on his page when he would show his myspace on his show.  It worked as one Wednesday night when he did his MySpace Letters, there was my comment at the top of his comments ;D

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/10/11 at 8:12 am

I was just going to post a topic about Google+ doing the same thing to Facebook that Facebook did to MySpace, but you beat me to it. As soon as more friends and family join Google+, I'm deactivating my Facebook for good. The thing that I like about Google+ that was the biggest issue with Facebook is the privacy settings. I like how in Google+, by default no one can see what you post until you choose who to share it with (whether its entire circles or individuals). While Facebook everyone can see everything you post until you customize and choose who you don't want to see your post.

Check for new replies or respond here...